Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Ban on carrying handguns struck down

Slateman

Do you really not see the arguments being made?

I guess I could.  What is the argument?  Leave the Ebola virus out of it though, you have no control over something like that.  You have a right to smoke cigarettes if you want too just like you have the right to own a gun?  I don't understand what the problem is.  If you don't like guns, don't buy one.  If you don't want to smoke cigarettes, don't smoke them.  Plenty of places are gun free, plenty of places are smoke free.  Are you so outraged at the amount of people dying by cigarettes you spend just enough time asking your lawmakers for "Cigarette Control"?  If you want to talk about the comparison we can also talk about the amount of people who die by alcohol and cigarettes on a yearly basis as well?

So now stupid arguments that people have actually made is being compared to stupid arguments that people are smart enough not to make.

Prove it Larry?  Prove I said a "stupid argument"  Did I use the word stupid? 

Now who do I sound like?   :P

No, I guess you didn't.

So, over the last several pages a number of posters dismissed the need to address gun violence in a new way because they said the numbers impacted were statistically insignificant. They kept repeating that the number killed was less .1 of 1% of the population. That's the logic.

So, here comes Ebola with numbers that stand at less than 1% of that number which people say is so tiny as to not matter. Yet these same naysayers are up on alarm and aghast at Ebola and are upset that someone with the virus, a virus that can only be communicated through the transfer of body fluids was sent to Atlanta.

The logic is bizarre in my view especially for those who tried to argue with statistics.

As to the tobacco thing.  Twa accused gun control folks and anti-cigarette folks of sharing some of the same logic and tactics.  I think his point is reasonable.

The point isn't to say that tobacco = guns = Ebola.  That's missing the point entirely.

As to the tobacco thing.  Twa accused gun control folks and anti-cigarette folks of sharing some of the same logic and tactics.  I think his point is reasonable.

The point isn't to say that tobacco = guns = Ebola.  That's missing the point entirely.

yeah, the point is ya'll are are bunch of nanny state ninnys  :P

next it will be red meat and bacon 

Prove it Larry?  Prove I said a "stupid argument"  Did I use the word stupid? 

Now who do I sound like?   :P

Somebody who's desperately trying to avoid responding to what people actually said, by desperately trying to pretend they said something else? 

Just an impression. 

Somebody who's desperately trying to avoid responding to what people actually said, by desperately trying to pretend they said something else? 

Just an impression. 

So then stop responding to my posts I guess?  It's impossible to have a conversation with someone who argues with himself half of the time.

No, I guess you didn't.

So, over the last several pages a number of posters dismissed the need to address gun violence in a new way because they said the numbers impacted were statistically insignificant. They kept repeating that the number killed was less .1 of 1% of the population. That's the logic.

So, here comes Ebola with numbers that stand at less than 1% of that number which people say is so tiny as to not matter. Yet these same naysayers are up on alarm and aghast at Ebola and are upset that someone with the virus, a virus that can only be communicated through the transfer of body fluids was sent to Atlanta.

The logic is bizarre in my view especially for those who tried to argue with statistics.

I guess I missed that my apologies.  Who are these naysayers you speak of?

No, I guess you didn't.

Burgold, the point is that you really don't have to worry about either happening to you. You don't start your day thinking "Don't get shot today" or "Don't catch Ebola today" because the threat is statistically insignificant. I don't mean that to sound callous, but .1 of 1% is statistically insignificant. The news covers each mass shooting incident for weeks, keeping the threat in front of your face and making it seem significant.

Burgold, the point is that you really don't have to worry about either happening to you. You don't start your day thinking "Don't get shot today" or "Don't catch Ebola today" because the threat is statistically insignificant. I don't mean that to sound callous, but .1 of 1% is statistically insignificant. The news covers each mass shooting incident for weeks, keeping the threat in front of your face and making it seem significant.

I don't get up today thinking "I hope I don't get killed by a drunk driver", either. 

However, that doesn't mean I'm going to try to use that fact to support my argument of "therefore we should do nothing to even attempt to reduce the number of people killed". 

• 2 weeks later...

Another one for the file ... a local police deputy shoots his high school daughter (in the dark) thinking she was an intruder.

http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/report-loudoun-deputy-shoots-daughter-mistaken-for-intruder/article_d362cdb8-23da-11e4-82b6-001a4bcf887a.html

Hey look, a straw man. No matter what laws were on the book, this would not have been preventes. Loudoun deputy. He had a weapon on him. His alarm was triggered. He shot in the dark. But let's lump this in with banning handguns....

Hey look, a straw man. No matter what laws were on the book, this would not have been preventes. Loudoun deputy. He had a weapon on him. His alarm was triggered. He shot in the dark. But let's lump this in with banning handguns....

he would probably go for disarming the police as well....furiegners  :P

A swing and a miss. I was thinking more about beliefs on what is needed for home defense, about fear, about gun safety and managing risk. 

If you are living in a safe part of town, you significantly increase risk to your loved ones by bringing a gun into the home, especially if you think it appropriate to shoot someone inside your house in the dark without challenging their identity.

And yet he said "another one" in a thread that is discussing handgun bans. And the other one was a cop in Leesburg. A scenario unaffected by a handgun ban.

I thought we were discussing fear and Ebola at this point of the thread.  :)

Another one for the file ... a local police deputy shoots his high school daughter (in the dark) thinking she was an intruder.

http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/report-loudoun-deputy-shoots-daughter-mistaken-for-intruder/article_d362cdb8-23da-11e4-82b6-001a4bcf887a.html

I was going to start a thread on this. Happened in my home town.

Poor guy had to learn the hard way you should identify a target as a threat before you start shooting.

Edit: That sounds harsh. I did mean "poor guy" sincerely, but my mind also jumped to the fact he was a police officer acting irresponsibly with his firearm (been thinking about recent events in Ferguson).

This really is a sad story though. You have to feel terrible for the guy. Can you imagine having to live with that? Awful.

Archived