Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are the Bucs the new trendy pick?

@ESPNNFL: Herm Edwards Super Bowl XLIX prediction (May 2014 version)

@TBBuccaneers vs @Steelers

In addition to this, they are always at the top of everyone's surprise list or the like. I get their team is very improved but they are still lacking an established QB.

In fact, they have the worst QB situation in their division. How can they really be a SB contender??

The Bucs have some talent. They have a real good OL, behemoth pair of WRs, and a nice RB. The big question mark for them is QB but they did sign McCown who proved he could throw to big WRs. Their D is also pretty solid IIRC and will only get better with Lovie Smith at the helm. But in that division, I can't see them winning double digit games. They'll be a tough out though for sure.

Steelers have no shot. The window has shut on that team.

Mccown will be exposed after the first 3-4 games. I remember when he burned the Skins last year and the players were saying after the game that they weren't even prepared for his style compared to Cutler. That's the usual case with a Backup and why even if they start off hot they usually tail off soon after.

Mccown will be exposed after the first 3-4 games. I remember when he burned the Skins last year and the players were saying after the game that they weren't even prepared for his style compared to Cutler. That's the usual case with a Backup and why even if they start off hot they usually tail off soon after.

He was good last year even after the Skins game. In fact if the Bears stuck with McCown, they might have won the division.

The only way I see the Bucs making the playoffs would be as a wild card and thats still no guarantee.  Looking at the NFC, I see the division winners as: Green Bay/Chicago; Eagles/Giants/Redskins (going out on a limb here); Saints; Seattle/SanFran

The remaining two wildcard spots, one I think goes to either Seattle or San Fran, which ever one doesn't win the division.  The next final spot is up for grabs between the 2nd place NFC North team (GB or CHI), 2nd place team in NFC East (Eagles or Was or NYG) and Atlanta and possibly the Panthers (just because of that defense).  I don't think Dallas is in the hunt this year along with MIN, DET, STL, ARZ, or TB.

I could also see the final spot not going to an NFCE team, because the division is not that strong overall.  I can only see our Skins in the hunt should we get RGIII from 2012, stay healthy and take advantage of what should be a top WR corps.  Most likely, we will need to get in a shoot-out and put up points, force the other team to go into catch-up mode so our defense can hang.

Weren't both Lovie and Tomlin both on Dungy's staff with Herm at some point? I could be making that up, but for some reason I sortof think there's a connection between all three.

The Bucs are going to have a good team, and they are going to be well coached, and if they get good QB play, they are going to be a really tough out for anybody.

I think that the Panthers will take a step back this year. And the NFC South is wide open. I don't think the Saints offense will be as good as it has been in the past, though their defense should be a bit better. The falcons look to be average. The Bucs have as much a shot as anybody.

• 2 weeks later...

Tampa Bay is seriously loaded with talent, and they have been for about 2 years. Their defense is easily top 10 talent-wise, the offensive line is very good, they have a talented young RB, & potentially one of the most dangerous receiving corp's in the league. The problem is they don't have a QB.

Also, I'm not sold on Lovie Smith like everyone else. Until he proves otherwise, I still believe a large part of his success in Chicago was because of Ron Rivera. Chicago had the #1 defense & went to the Super Bowl. After that game Lovie shockingly fired his friend Ron Rivera. A lot of people think it's because he was afraid of the rumors that he might be fired to give the HC job to Rivera.

Look at what's happened since then. Chicago's defense fell off under Lovie & gradually got worse each season. Then he was fired.

Rivera went to San Diego as DC & turned a bottom of the barrel defense into the #1 defense in the league in just 3 seasons. Then he came to Carolina as HC & asst DC to McDermott & in year 3 turned a 2-14 team into a 12-4 Division Champion with the #2 defense & won NFL Coach of the Year.

Carolina plays TB week 1 & you know Rivera is gonna be eager to make a statement.

Division will come down to Carolina & New Orleans. They'll both win 11+ games & make the playoffs. Carolina's roster is vastly improved if you stop listening to the media & look closely.

Archived