Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: NFL's top receiving corps: Redskins, Bears lead the way

I hate how much pressure it puts on RG3 but all the pieces for the skill positions are there for him. If the OL does its job, Robert really needs to do his this year

Yeah, the pressure on him is crazy high.  This is a no excuses year, no Shanahan, no brace, added weapons.  But i'm sure there'll be folks playing the "learning a new offense" card. 

Still sort of upset that we passed up on Alshon Jeffrey. Nobody seemed to want to talk about him or hype him up before the draft. I remember watching him in college and being blown away.

Edit: I do know there were some character concerns and concerns about his work ethic (had gained some weight) but it's ridiculous to me when so many teams pass up on a supreme talent because of issues like that. See: Burfict, Vontaze

Definitely it's put up or shut up for Griff. This season is ****ing huge for this franchise

Its put up or get out for Haslett IMO, not to get off track.

But the single biggest concern I have with Griffin is getting out there and trying too hard and/or putting too much un-needed pressure on himself; the kid is ultra talented, no doubt about it, but after last year, the rumblings might affect him in a bad way and he might feel he has to make up for it. Hope Gruden keeps an eye on that.

Still sort of upset that we passed up on Alshon Jeffrey. Nobody seemed to want to talk about him or hype him up before the draft. I remember watching him in college and being blown away.

I picked him up in week 4 last year and he didn't disappoint. Dude scored some monster FF points for me.

Having a tall receiver who can go up after the ball is a biggie; its what I was hoping for in Hankerson or Robinson but ppffffft.

Been saying for a while here that

1. I love the additions this teams made this year in free agency and the draft. While the article only mentions 3 receivers don't sleep on Grant or Hankerson making an impact this season as well. Coach was on point when he stated the talent level has been raised and that is only going to open things up for other players like Morris to move the chains. I do believe in this vision they have regardless of the naysayers and longtime posters here who want to talk like it's 2010 again. They really had me at the draft when they spent those two out of three top picks on the offensive line. They are doing the right things to build a championship team here now.

2. The entire season rests squarely on Griffin. The thing of it is that no one should forget here is while on paper they have the best core of receivers those guys cant get themselves the football. They receive it from Griffin and Griffin has to get them the ball to perform. I am not sure how that most important element is going to work for them this year but at Baylor Griffin also had to come back from a knee injury and had imo the best college receiving group in that league with Josh Gordon, Justin Hunter, and Kendell Wright to throw to and he ended up with the Heisman as a result. When given talent Griffin can do extremely well he just has to do it on the field.

Now most of you know that I was very passionate about two things this off season and still am - LH and KC (Leonard Hankerson & Kirk Cousins). If Griffin were to get injured or play poorly the best thing for this group of men was to have a young guy behind him ready to step in and play and them not moving KC for a 4th round pick was the right thing to do. Hopefully he isn't needed but if he is I am very glad he is still on the team. He could turn out to be this teams MVP this year.

This season could be the season that directly leads this franchise back not only to respectability but has the chance to be something very special.

Definitely it's put up or shut up for Griff. This season is ****ing huge for this franchise

I can only imagine what it's gonna be like if he doesn't put up.  I get anxious just thinking about it.  Man, I haven't rooted this much for a single player on this team to do well ever.  Not because I'm a RG3 fanboy, but this franchise needs a break.  

2. The entire season rests squarely on Griffin....

I think decision making, execution and play making from the QB position in the passing game rest squarely on Griffin. He's also partly responsible for leadership on the offense and the team as whole. But, everything else is out of his hands.

Talking heads' opinions mean nothing whether they're good or bad.  The only difference between their "expertise" and yours is that they are published.  They have the exact same fortune telling abilities that the rest of us do.

We haven't taken a snap.  Actually, NO team has taken a snap.  But we're supposed to be ranking receiving corps based on what,  Madden scores?  Really?

We still have to have an OL perform up to the level of the rest of the skills players. Undoubtedly teams will try to come hard with the blitz early in order to test Griffin under pressure. ..even with all those weapons. Still...A lot also falls on play calling to put the team in a position to succeed, & then 1) if they in fact give RGIII more freedom at the LOS, & 2) he can excel at doing so.

One thing I don't like is that we face quite a few teams...beginning with week 1 vs Houston. ..who should excel at creating pressure without needing to rush more than 4 guys. It's nice to have that WR corps, but if teams can go with nickel/dime packages & still generate pressure, they won't have time to see enough of the ball.

The key for me will be Morris, how he's implemented into the passing game, & if we're able to impose our will when teams try to load up with DB's. If we can do these things, along with sound, adaptive play calling, then moving the football down field should not be one of our problems.

Let me also add that we need ST's to help us with good field position, & the defense to not be a liability. All these things will make or break our season. None of them are excuses. There is still plenty to overcome, & I don't believe it's quite as: put up, or shut up as some seem to believe.

On the contrary. ...I just want to see improvement, consistency...progress.

I wonder if some of you will be angry, or just as blameful if the offense performs well, but we still go 7-9, 8-8? & what's the ceiling. ..where do we set the line to determine that RGIII was worthy or not?

Do we need to score 30ppg? 27 td's, 8 ints...? Is that what we should expect because the WR corps means there are now "no excuses." What if guys get hurt? Or Reed can't stay on the field?

Sheesh...Some of these doomsayers really could benefit from taking a few steps back & looking at the bigger picture.

Progress is what I seek. Less turnovers, more big plays, more points, closer games. Less hand wringing, less finger pointing, less dropped passes, & hopefully more rushing yards, & less sacks.

Talking heads' opinions mean nothing whether they're good or bad.  The only difference between their "expertise" and yours is that they are published.  They have the exact same fortune telling abilities that the rest of us do.

We haven't taken a snap.  Actually, NO team has taken a snap.  But we're supposed to be ranking receiving corps based on what,  Madden scores?  Really?

Uh, I think it's being based on their actual performances so far...

And just a reminder to everyone, this isn't the top 5 passing offenses...so things like QB play and OLine are irrelevant, at least to this list.

Brooks said he thinks the best WR units will have several types of receiving weapons among their top WRs/TEs, and that he feels the Skins have the WR corp that is the most well-rounded in terms of those types of weapons:

"Ideally, there should be a classic No. 1 receiver capable of running the entire route tree. This receiver excels at defeating double coverage while also displaying the toughness and clutch ability to deliver when the game is on the line. The complementary receiver, meanwhile, should be a speedster with the acceleration and burst to blow the top off of coverage; he should be great at running the vertical routes while also being a legitimate "catch-and-run" threat on quick throws and bubble screens. As he'll face a lot of one-on-one coverage, it's imperative that he has the playmaking skills to be able to punish the defense for overloading to stop the No. 1 receiver.

The slot receiver doesn't need to be a blazer, but he should be quick enough to run away from nickel corners and linebackers between the hashes. Additionally, he must display the toughness to withstand the punishment that comes with venturing over the middle. Either a big-bodied pass-catcher or a jitterbug with remarkable stop-start quickness and exceptional hands will work in this role.

At tight end, I prefer a sizable athlete with exceptional length and ball skills. He should excel at the "post-up" game (the act of using his body to create space from defenders over the middle of the field)...If the tight end is capable of playing away from the line, it's an added bonus, because it allows the offensive coordinator to incorporate some exotic formations to exploit mismatches on the edge.

[...]Given some time to study the tape and depth charts of every team in the NFL, I thought I would rank my top five receiving corps based on overall talent and diversity. While plenty of teams boast one elite receiver, just a handful of squads have multiple threats good enough to take over the game."

I think decision making, execution and play making from the QB position in the passing game rest squarely on Griffin. He's also partly responsible for leadership on the offense and the team as whole. But, everything else is out of his hands.

Execution of the offense is on Griffin more so then any other person on the field. The Defense and Special Teams could be outstanding but if Griffin plays like he did last year then the record won't change. On the other hand even if the defense and special teams were awful if Griffin is playing well he will overcome that like he did last year in the Bears game. No one else has the influence on the teams future more then Griffin. He is the MVP, and if he plays like an MVP the teams going to do very well

I'm just left shaken by the startling analyses. I finally understand what sets Jackson, Garcon, and Roberts apart.

Ones speedy, the other is explosive, and still next we have a quick guy too!

We've got a bunch of fast guys that catch the ball. That doesn't make a championship caliber corpse. You can all have great vocabularies, but you gotta speak the same language every day.

I'm just left shaken by the startling analyses. I finally understand what sets Jackson, Garcon, and Roberts apart.

Ones speedy, the other is explosive, and still next we have a quick guy too!

We've got a bunch of fast guys that catch the ball. That doesn't make a championship caliber corpse. You can all have great vocabularies, but you gotta speak the same language every day.

Let those bold parts sink in for a moment lol...

Execution of the offense is on Griffin more so then any other person on the field. The Defense and Special Teams could be outstanding but if Griffin plays like he did last year then the record won't change. On the other hand even if the defense and special teams were awful if Griffin is playing well he will overcome that like he did last year in the Bears game. No one else has the influence on the teams future more then Griffin. He is the MVP, and if he plays like an MVP the teams going to do very well

Wow, you really believe this huh? If the defense and the special teams are awful Griffin will have to play like Aaron Rodgers just to make it to .500.

33% Special Teams

33% Defense

33% Offense

Do you remember when the Chargers had the No.1 offense AND No.1 defense yet didn't make playoffs? Do you remember why? Their special teams units were turrible.

Football is a team game.

Execution of PART of the passing game in on Griffin; decision making, throwing accurate passes and playmaking are Griffin's main contributions. Pass protection, getting open, making plays after the catch, playcalling have nothing to do with Griffin.

Griffin's role in the running game is greater then most QBs because of his running ability BUT the running game is still about Morris the OL and playcalling.

Griffin is big part of 1/3 of the team success.

But the entire season does not rest on his shoulders.

This is not good...at all.  

The way I cope with the Redskins is to expect the worst, and be happy for surprise achievement.  Whenever I get excited about an upcoming year, I tumble through the air and land on my back as Lucy holds the football close to her chest.  

CharlieBrownLucyFootball.gif

Yes, the WRs look good on paper.  But, there's much that needs to fall into place for the WRs to get the ball.  There are so many new factors to consider...is the OL better than last year?  Will the OL remain healthy through the year?  Does Gruden plan to implement a compatible offense or will his offense expose major holes in on-hand talent?  Is D. Jackson the team troll Philly insists he is and will this fracture team chemistry?  Can Haslett consistently put our offense in good field position?  Will the offense be balanced enough to keep pressure off our air attack?  And, of course, is this a full year for RG3 and a true showcase of his passing ability?  

Beware the Ides of Offseason.

Archived