Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFF.com: Top 101 players of 2013 (NFC East mentions)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/12/pffs-top-101-of-2013-101-to-91/

89. DeSean Jackson, WR, Philadelphia Eagles Washington Redskins (Unranked)

Jackson had a lot of questions to answer on the field after two less-than-stellar years and a big contract on the books. While he has ultimately been released by the Eagles, it had little to do with his play where he would reemerge as one of the premier deep threats in the league. More than this, he would also lead the league in yards running crossing routes and finished in the Top 15 in terms of screen yardage. Washington fans will be hopeful of seeing more of the same.

Best Performance: Week 15, PHI @ MIN, +4.3

Key Stat: Quarterbacks had a 124.4 rating when throwing to Jackson. The highest of any wide receiver targeted at least 70 times.

88. Trent Cole, OLB, Philadelphia Eagles (Unranked)

2012 was something of a down year for Cole who, for the first time in a long while, began to look human. The underrated edge rusher spent a career productively playing at end so we were among those wondering if he could regain his fine form of yesteryear when switching to the Eagles’ 3-4 scheme. While he didn’t quite hit those heights, it was a fine bounce-back year as Cole led the team with 52 quarterback disruptions while also impressing against the run. That earned him the seventh-highest grade of all 3-4 outside linebackers and a spot on this list.

Best Performance: Week 13, ARZ @ PHI, +6.7

Key Stat: Cole’s 31 defensive stops against the run were second most of all 3-4 outside linebackers.

86. Will Hill, S, New York Giants (Unranked)

It remains to be seen when (or if) we’ll next see Hill on an NFL field given his well documented off the field problems that look like ending his Giants career and leading to a third NFL suspension. Which makes it all the more a shame after he put forth a truly tremendous season in an otherwise rotten year for the Giants. Missing just four tackles and getting beat for one touchdown, Hill didn’t make the kind of highlight-reel plays that will wow Pro Bowl voters, but his consistency and lack of mistakes were that of a player maturing on the field. A true disappointment he couldn’t mirror that off it.

Best Performance: Week 8, NYG @ PHI, +3.8

Key Stat: Missed just one of 38 attempted tackles in coverage, the second best tackling percentage of all safeties to attempt at least 25 tackles in the passing game.

78. Jason Kelce, C, Philadelphia Eagles (Unranked)

Kelce would finish the year our top-ranked center, even after the Giants put a beat down on him in Week 5. Outside of that? Well there were just four other negative games and a host of impressive positive ones, with his impact in the running game consistently better than all his peers. Really showed the team what they missed with his injury in 2012 and earned his long-term deal as he paved the way for a big year for LeSean McCoy.

Best Performance: Week 17, PHI @ DAL, +4.1

Key Stat: Gave up just 12 quarterback disruptions all year, 2nd lowest of all centers to pass block at least 500 times.

77. Brian Orakpo, OLB, Washington Redskins (Unranked)

After missing most of 2012, Orakpo seemed on a mission to make up for lost time with a string of eye catching displays that would see him finish 2013 our fourth-ranked 3-4 outside linebacker. A versatile talent most comfortable rushing the passer but who can more than hold his own whatever is asked of him, he ended the year with a creditable 51 quarterback disruptions and 22 defensive stops against the run. That’s the kind of all-around play that most 3-4 outside linebackers strive for.

Best Performance: Week 13, NYG @ WAS, +6.5

Key Stat: Orakpo was the only 3-4 outside linebacker to score a +4.0 or more in pass rushing, coverage and run defense.

76. DeMarco Murray, RB, Dallas Cowboys (Unranked)

The first (but not last) running back on this list. The season of Murray went somewhat under the radar with Dallas struggling and other issues in Cowboys country taking center stage. Still, it was comfortably his best year to date as he racked up 1,124 yards and found the end zone nine times while lasting a career-best 690 snaps. That earned him the sixth-highest rushing grade of all running backs and propelled him onto this list for the first time.

Best Performance: Week 3, SL @ DAL, +3.5

Key Stat: Finished seventh overall in our Elusive Rating with a 53.2 score.

66. Jason Hatcher, DT, Dallas Cowboys Washington Redskins (77th)

The now former Cowboy seemed destined for an even higher ranking after a ferocious start to the year. Unfortunately he missed some time and, when he came back, struggled for consistency in a Dallas front short on talent and overly reliant on him. Still that didn’t stop him having a career-best year, grading particularly well rushing the passer where all but four of his efforts earned him a grade in the green. Quarterbacks learned to fear him in 2013.

Best Performance: Week 7, DAL @ PHI, +6.0

Key Stat: 9.1 Pass Rushing Productivity rating was sixth-highest of all defensive tackles.

44. Tyron Smith, OT, Dallas Cowboys (Unranked)

Smith used his third year in the league to establish himself as one of the best young tackles in the game. His sophomore season (which was his first at left tackle) flashed talent, but this was a year where he really started to put it all together. His second half of the year was especially strong, grading in the green in seven out of eight games while only earning one grade in the red all year long. If Smith can sustain that play throughout an entire season then he’ll be finishing higher than 44 next year.

Best Performance: Week 17, PHI @ DAL, +5.0

Key Stat: Gave up just 31 quarterback disruptions on 629 pass-blocking snaps. Good enough for the second best pass blocking efficiency of all left tackles.

34. Jason Peters, OT, Philadelphia Eagles (Unranked)

Peters didn’t look completely healthy to start the year with his first eight games earning a respectable +5.6 grade. Not bad work but not good enough that he’d make this list if he carried it on. No, Peters makes this list with a phenomenal effort in the second half of the season that saw him turn nine games into a +25.4 grade with some fantastic work in the run game. There aren’t many tackles as athletic as him, able to dominate at the second level and shut down pass rushers.

Best Performance: Week 16, CHI @ PIT, +6.9

Key Stat: For 2013 Peters graded in the green for his run blocking in seven games.

15. Trent Williams, OT, Washington Redskins (Unranked)

Since entering the league in 2010 Williams has been on a steady incline, culminating with his best season to date in 2013. Sure he had a couple of tricky outings against Aldon Smith and Von Miller, but beyond that he had 13 games where he allowed two or fewer quarterback disruptions. What’s more some of his work in the run game was eye catching, with Williams a left tackle who consistently generated movement both laterally and up the field. Fine work.

Best Performance: Week 13, NYG @ WAS, +6.9

Key Stat: Incredibly half of the games he was involved in saw him earn a +3.0 grade or better.

Still haven't done th etop 10 yet...

Kind of disappointed that Garcon isn't up there, I somewhat doubt he'll be top 30, so I assume he's not there.

I'm guessing Griffin is out entirely because of his disappointing season.

Kerrigan and Cofield probably aren't top 100 worthy, but they should be darn close.

Kind of disappointed that Garcon isn't up there, I somewhat doubt he'll be top 30, so I assume he's not there.

Kerrigan and Cofield probably aren't top 100 worthy, but they should be darn close.

They down graded him because of drops, they also had cofield as a top 5 rushing defensive tackle/nose tackle and Kerrigan finished in the top 5 for qb pressures by a 3-4 olb, but their work in the run game pushed them both out of the top 100.

The funny thing is, Griffin's disappointing season was pretty much an average year for the rest of the league. Hell, his QB rating on the year was only 5 points lower than the wonder kid Andrew Luck with 3 less games.

What got me is that Williams went from unranked to #15...that's huge. Was he THAT much better in 2013 than he was in 2012?

I think he was. His run blocking was absolutely dominant more often than not. I remember one play against GB where he took Johnny Jolly 15 yards down the field. Not even joking. 

Not the biggest fan of advanced stats for football or hockey as they are more often than not misleading as to specifics.  However, they do give a reasonably accurate OVERALL picture of a players worth as long as you know what you are looking at and how the grading process works.

In this case, it's fairly easy to see the effect that a historically bad special teams unit has on a team as well as a team that under performs in one or two different areas a game.  This 3 win team has a ton of talent on it, it just takes the right group to put the players in a position to be successful by utilizing what they do best.

Even though two of the players on this list did not wear burgundy and gold last season, there is still enough to get you excited for what could be in 2014.

They down graded him because of drops, they also had cofield as a top 5 rushing defensive tackle/nose tackle and Kerrigan finished in the top 5 for qb pressures by a 3-4 olb, but their work in the run game pushed them both out of the top 100.

I trust you more than just about anyone on here when it comes to these grades, does this mean that when the board comes out later in the summer of "blue chip" talent on offense and defense that we'll have more blue than we did last year?  I think Trent was our only blue player and Rob, Rak and Alfred were dark green.

Also, for selfish plug, this is just another illustration that Cofield should be suiting up at LDE more than NT this year.  They should rotate, but I think it's past time to fully utilize Barry's skillset.

Morris needs to be on this list if it's to be honest. Pro bowler who is among the very top producers at running back two years in a row. All that and he did it behind a poor oline and a d that gave up gads of time of possession, and lost leads that meant abandoning the running game.

I trust you more than just about anyone on here when it comes to these grades, does this mean that when the board comes out later in the summer of "blue chip" talent on offense and defense that we'll have more blue than we did last year? I think Trent was our only blue player and Rob, Rak and Alfred were dark green..

I think with the additions of Djax, Hatch, The ILBs and the losses of Fletcher and Wilson our team will be a lot better on paper. I don't know if anyone other than Williams will be a "blue chipper" in their eyes, but we should have 7 dark green guys (Rak, Djax, Rob, Hatch, Cofield, Garçon and Morris). I feel Baker, Kerrigan and Hall also have the potential to get into that green/dark green category throughout the year.

How is DeMarco Murray in there and Alfred Morris is not?

That tells me all I need to know about this list. Not very credible. But hell, AlMo has been screwed on the Pro Bowl each of the last 2 seasons. This list seems like the Pro Bowl, just a popularity contest.

This list doesn't have any credibility. How is Demarco Murray here and ALMO isn't?? Please don't tell me it's because he doesn't catch passes. He's been a beast his first 2 years in the league. Can't wait to see him tear it up this season with defenses not being able to stack the box.

That tells me all I need to know about this list. Not very credible. But hell, AlMo has been screwed on the Pro Bowl each of the last 2 seasons. This list seems like the Pro Bowl, just a popularity contest.

5.2 YPC. To be fair, the rush ratings differed in .3 in favor of Murray. Big difference was pass catching ratings. 

Archived