Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Gruden: 'We have significantly upgraded our football team' (VIDEO)

MustangSteve

Disagree vehemently. Garcon paired with two now legit threats, Morris and if Reed is full go, makes for a dominate lineup this year. 

Garcon, Jackson, Hankerson, Roberts, Reed....they don't throw themselves the ball. This offense is no different then the other 31 others in that if they get subpar QB play they are going to lose. The time for excuses are gone with so much offensive fire power, the QB has to get it done. I think what Master Blaster was saying is correct because this isn't a dominating defense that can win games by themselves, they have to get matching QB success to be successful.

The one thing that bothers me the most is Haslett, obviously. Like AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said above, the whole "player's team" thing is something to keep an eye on for sure... but that's all about different managing styles so it's not something to really worry about for now. 

But Haslett. Can't believe he's still here. It makes zero sense to me. I hate the fact that we're all hoping that we have just an "average" defense, lol. I mean, really? Shouldn't the goal always be to dominate? You have a guy like Wade Phillips sitting around, who has had many dominant Ds under him, yet we stick with the guy who never has?

I want to pull my hair out every time I read "if our D is just average this year, our O should be able to win us most games", or something to that affect. This is what we've been reduced to. Imagine if we brought in Wade how all of us here would be so excited about what was coming.

Now we're just hoping to be surprised, lol. Oh well, God willing we get one heck of a shock and Haslett becomes a great D coordinator for the rest of his career as a Redskin. Our very own Dick Lebeau! :)     

The success of this season is still in the hands of RGIII.

I think we are 2 years from having a solid team that can win even with a bad day by the QB.  Until then, RGIII is going to have a significant determination as to the outcome of games.

Disagree vehemently. Garcon paired with two now legit threats, Morris and if Reed is full go, makes for a dominate lineup this year. 

Garcon, Jackson, Hankerson, Roberts, Reed....they don't throw themselves the ball. This offense is no different then the other 31 others in that if they get subpar QB play they are going to lose. The time for excuses are gone with so much offensive fire power, the QB has to get it done. I think what Master Blaster was saying is correct because this isn't a dominating defense that can win games by themselves, they have to get matching QB success to be successful.

He is saying that the it is solely on the QB and that we are two years away? I again, disagree vehemently. The QB be it Griff or Cousins has a plethora of options to throw to and a RB to boot. The success of the O is not solely on one players shoulders now. 

“Last year, especially with Robert being nicked-up and a couple other things,” Morris said by phone, “defenses were able to sit on their toes and stack the box more at certain times and were able to bring more pressure because we didn’t have the same threats. But now, having DeSean and Andre in the slot, there’s no way to stack that box. Having Robert back healthy, there’s no way defenses can do the same things they did against us last year.” 

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/7701/alfred-morris-well-make-them-pay

Well, the latest (and greatest?) power rankings over at SI have us ranked....30th.  Doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but there it is:

30. Washington

Again, what I was getting at in the Jacksonville write-up: Do any teams stand out as truly bad right now? Washington has enough in place, with RGIII entering Season III and DeSean Jackson joining him, to be competitive in the NFC East. The Redskins are buried down here, though, because they rolled out the 30th-ranked defense last season and did very little to upgrade that unit.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/21/nfl-power-rankings-post-2014-nfl-draft/2/

The one thing that bothers me the most is Haslett, obviously. Like AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said above, the whole "player's team" thing is something to keep an eye on for sure... but that's all about different managing styles so it's not something to really worry about for now.  

Yeah I agree. I like the change.... It was needed, and it isn't an issue yet. But there comes a time when you have to put some fires out, and plug some holes in the boat. I hope he can do it. I think he can do it. But I don't know. None of us do.

You can delegate authority all you want, but ultimately, the buck stops with you as the HC, and make no mistake, between Griffin, Garçon, Jackson, Roberts, Reed (potentially), and anyone else who may emerge this year, there cold be some issues. They're not bad guys, but there could potentially be some friction if the team hits a rough patch, and thats a lot on the shoulders of a soon to be 3rd year QB.

I'm not as worried about the defense because there are a lot more seasoned vets on that side of the ball.

Well, the latest (and greatest?) power rankings over at SI have us ranked....30th.  Doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but there it is:

30. Washington

Again, what I was getting at in the Jacksonville write-up: Do any teams stand out as truly bad right now? Washington has enough in place, with RGIII entering Season III and DeSean Jackson joining him, to be competitive in the NFC East. The Redskins are buried down here, though, because they rolled out the 30th-ranked defense last season and did very little to upgrade that unit.

Wow, what a horrible analysis by SI.  It seems like they are mostly judging our defense and are basically saying we didn't do anything to upgrade it.  Jason Hatcher?  Ryan Clark? I'm not sure why they would hit us so hard because of defense and then put Dallas up at 23.  Dallas put up one of the worst Ds I've ever seen last season and lost two of it's best players this off-season.  Heck, I would argue that our special teams hurt us more last season than our defense. 

I agree with Jay.

This team has improved.

All the weak areas have been addressed with personnel and with coaching.

Special Teams?

Kotwicka-scheme and execution

Andre Roberts (DeSean Jackson)-KR, PR 

FA LBs that are all special teams standouts

Improved special teams mean improved field position.

Improved field position turns some drives that ended in punts into the FG it turns some FG drives into TDs.

Conversely it turns some TDs allowed into FGs and some FGs into punts.

Defense?

Kirk Olivadotti ILBs-coverage, recognition

Brian Baker OLBs-pass rush

Hatcher-interior passing pressure generating stud

Clark-Finally a FS! His knowledge of this 34 defense rivals/exceeds Haslett/Raheem and he allows Meriweather to move back to his true position of SS

Offense?

Jay Gruden. Sees the offense through the eyes of the QB. Cinci's passing game featured: quick passing game, throwing deep, using a change of pace runner, throwing to the backs, moving the pocket.

Added DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts, Luavao, Seastrunk. Healthy Robert Griffin.

I am excited to see this offense. I think we have the personnel to be as productive as the Bengals.

More productive offense means more chances for the defense to attack, create pressure and get sacks, create turnovers.

I agree with Jay.

This team has improved.

All the weak areas have been addressed with personnel and with coaching.

Special Teams?

Kotwicka-scheme and execution

Andre Roberts (DeSean Jackson)-KR, PR

FA LBs that are all special teams standouts

Improved special teams mean improved field position.

Improved field position turns some drives that ended in punts into the FG it turns some FG drives into TDs.

Conversely it turns some TDs allowed into FGs and some FGs into punts.

Defense?

Kirk Olivadotti ILBs-coverage, recognition

Brian Baker OLBs-pass rush

Hatcher-interior passing pressure generating stud

Clark-Finally a FS! His knowledge of this 34 defense rivals/exceeds Haslett/Raheem and he allows Meriweather to move back to his true position of SS

Offense?

Jay Gruden. Sees the offense through the eyes of the QB. Cinci's passing game featured: quick passing game, throwing deep, using a change of pace runner, throwing to the backs, moving the pocket.

Added DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts, Luavao, Seastrunk. Healthy Robert Griffin.

I am excited to see this offense. I think we have the personnel to be as productive as the Bengals.

More productive offense means more chances for the defense to attack, create pressure and get sacks, create turnovers.

Nice post. :)

Did you leave off Long and Moses intentionally? I initially assumed so (because we don't know if they'll play this year), but then I saw Seastrunk...

I think special teams will probably see the biggest improvement. I think it makes a huge difference when you get a bunch of guys that not only can play, but want to play, along with a guy that apparently can boom the rock on kickoffs, and a guy that can punt better. The offense wasn't good last year (gravely inconsistent is probably a better word description), but they faced almost insurmountable odds with that defense and special teams. They were a TOP black hole.

I too will be excited to see the offense in action, more specifically the passing offense. The only reservation I have right now is about the structure of the run/pass dynamic. I am a balance guy. I think there are certain situations that call for more running, and there are certain situations to call for more passing. What I am curious to see is whether or not Gruden will recognize what to do in those situations, or if he will out think himself.

Alfred Morris is a hell of a running back, and I would hate to see us resemble more of a passing offense, even with the guys we have on the outside.

Alfred Morris is a hell of a running back, and I would hate to see us resemble more of a passing offense, even with the guys we have on the outside.

I worry about the same, but honestly I am down for whatever WORKS. I think we'll see plenty of Al, though. This day and age the pass opens up the run, and with the deep threats we now have, teams can't just stack the box and that gives more yardage until the second or third defender gets to Morris and we all know it will take just that- he rarely goes down on initial contact.

Yep. I also worry that the success we have this year will all be pinned to "See, Shanahan was THE problem".

I see a lot of this from people, who were clearly bothered by the backlash Shanahan received during all of the leaks. My stance is this: The buck stops with the head coach... Always. That does not mean that players and assistants are absolved of anything, but.....

When you are the HC, who has final say on all football related operations, that means a lot. That means you are the loudest voice in the room on draft day. That means you are in charge of setting the tone for your team, in terms of discipline, and organization (two things that were lacking here, and honestly have been for some time now). 

That means you are responsible for the coaches you bring in (which is where he failed, badly). That means that you should be aware of the climate of your locker room, and the climate of your coaching staff, and coach/player relationships. You are in charge of making decisions when it comes to player safety, not leaving it up to the player.

It may not seem fair, but it isn't fair either to think that everything was the fault of the QB, or the owner, or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, insinuating that micromanager doghouse Shanahan was cut off at the knees, and had his hands behind his back while Griffin and his daddy ran roughshod over the organization. Of course, everybody has a role to play in a team/organization's dismal performance, but the person most responsible is the person that put all of that together... Who in the last regimes case, was Mike Shanahan.

So when/if things turn out vastly different with Gruden, that is exactly what people will say, and it will have plausibility, whether fair/100% accurate or not.

And if things go south with Gruden, as the HC, he will receive similar criticism.

30. Washington

This is balls man.  How can anyone write stuff like this?

30th ranked?!?!  30th ranked in points!!  Yes our defense was bad, but not horrendous like 30th.  Based on points, how many defensive touchdowns did our offense give up and our HORRENDOUS special teams?

Or how many times was the defense put in an awful situation of defending a short field?

Take the Chiefs game last year.  In 5 touchdown "drives" in the first half alone, the Chiefs accumulated 79 total yards of offense.  A 13, 25 and 41 yard TD drive.  The other 2 TD's were kick/punt returns.

Yes we stank, but judging a defense solely on points given up is not a great measure, especially with the worst special teams that we have ever witnessed and an offense that made too many mistakes.

Balls review there by SI.

I worry about the same, but honestly I am down for whatever WORKS. I think we'll see plenty of Al, though. This day and age the pass opens up the run, and with the deep threats we now have, teams can't just stack the box and that gives more yardage until the second or third defender gets to Morris and we all know it will take just that- he rarely goes down on initial contact.

That will be interesting to watch as well (how teams choose to play us). Teams were able to bring pressure whenever they wanted last year, which was the exact opposite the year prior.

My guess is that they will try to attack the o-line, and bring pressure to start the season, and see if we block better than 2013. Only problem is that Griffin now has more freedom at the line, and is presumably 100%, so he can get the O in the right calls, and evade pressure a lot better than last year. That, and our Quick passing game should be able to counteract that.

There are so many ways we might be able to beat teams this year. We can go deep, we can go intermediate, we can go short, we should be able to screen. We can go PA/boot/naked boot. We no longer are strictly outside zone, we will run some man/gap stuff.

Its all very exciting.

Wasn't sure the best thread to put this in...

I sure hope our interior oline is improved, because that is certainly how I'd attack this offense. Can't (consistently) drop into coverage with Morris and Griffin as threats and you run a pretty big risk putting 8 in the box with these pass catchers.

Edit: haha, didn't see the post above mine until now. :)

I think special teams will probably see the biggest improvement......

I too will be excited to see the offense in action, more specifically the passing offense. The only reservation I have right now is about the structure of the run/pass dynamic. I am a balance guy. I think there are certain situations that call for more running, and there are certain situations to call for more passing. What I am curious to see is whether or not Gruden will recognize what to do in those situations, or if he will out think himself.

Yup, improved specials will be huge.

My preference on offense leans towards the run. So, I share your concern when it comes to Jay.

Jay's pass/run ratio in the past have been decent.

Pass/Run ratio w/Grudes:

2013-54.96/45.04

2012-55.67/44.33

2011-55.04/45.96

He's wasn't gonna pound the rock (50/50 or better) like SanFran or Seattle or Houston (Dennison) . But he wasn't a pre-Griffin Kyle Shanahan either over 60/40. 

But I wonder what will happen to Jay when their is no defensive minded HC to reign him in?

I wonder what will happen when a former QB turned OC/HC is given his dream pupil?

Jay may not be able to help himself.

But, at the end of the day I don't really care about style.

If the pass/run ratio is 70/30 I don't care as long as we score points and win games.

But I wonder what will happen to Jay when their is no defensive minded HC to reign him in?

I wonder what will happen when a former QB turned OC/HC is given his dream pupil?

Jay may not be able to help himself.

But, at the end of the day I don't really care about style.

If the pass/run ratio is 70/30 I don't care as long as we score points and win games.

I think offense is the least of our worries personally. I'm confident we will be productive on offense both in yardage and points.

How that translates to more wins though will come down to how we have, or have not, improved our defense and special teams.

This is rehashing things we have all talked about for months now but I'm concerned that we are bringing back a lot of the defensive staff from last year and that we have not done enough to upgrade the personnel on that side of the ball. Hatcher was a good signing but other than that its a hope some of the younger players have developed and sticking tape and gum will hold it all together.

We had better hope that Shanny really was calling some of the defensive plays and a lot of what we saw was not down to Haslett. I remain to be convinced.

As for special teams they literally cant get any worse so the only way is up! 

I think offense is the least of our worries personally. I'm confident we will be productive on offense both in yardage and points...

I'm not worried about the offense either....that post was specifically about Jay's level of commitment to the running game.

Here's my thoughts on the team as a whole

http://es.redskins.com/topic/378922-redskinscom-gruden-we-have-significantly-upgraded-our-football

I'm not worried about the offense either....that post was specifically about Jay's level of commitment to the running game.

Here's my thoughts on the team as a whole

http://es.redskins.com/topic/378922-redskinscom-gruden-we-have-significantly-upgraded-our-football

Yeah I got that you were focused on play calling/offensive balance in your comment. On that I think we will lean more towards the pass but not be too lopsided.

I think the FO's plan to fix the defense is to simply improve the pass-rush and hope for competence on the back-end. The additions of Hatcher in FA and Murphy in the draft support this as does the signing of a veteran like Clark at Safety. As for improving the STs, the first and maybe biggest improvement was the hiring of Coach Kotwica. Beyond that, nearly every move made in FA and the draft seemed to be done with one eye on how that player could contribute to STs. As someone earlier stated, things can really only improve. By how much remains to be seen, but I like what they have done for the most part...

The one thing that bothers me is about the approach to improving STs was that the key STs position of kick and punt returner was never really addressed. At least not by a player who has a reputation as being a solid return man. Sure maybe Thompson can stay healthy and become a returner or UFA Hoffman make the team as a returner like he was in college but it seems like many of the potential guys are either converts, projects or injury-prone.

Archived