Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen plan to rebuild the Redskins roster...

Redskin Diehard

I predict the Redskins will draft 2 & sign a minimum of 3 WR's...

Coach Gruden may not be a “genuis” but he’s definitely no fool. I strongly suspect he knows what he’s doing and so far I trust Bruce Allen's judgment as well. If Mr. Allen is forced to hit Brian Orakpo with the non-exclusive franchise tag and lose him for draft picks, I predict at least one WR will be drafted early (2nd or 3rd round) and a another quality WR will probably be picked a little later (4th or 5th round). Hard to say who… but I hope either Kelvin Benjamin (FSU) or Allen Robinson (PSU) will be available when we make our 2nd and 3rd round selections respectively. I’m also hoping somebody like Donte Moncrief (Ole Miss) or Martavis Bryant (Clemson) can be had with a middle round selection. I realize this is wishful thinking but I can’t imagine Coach Gruden not prioritizing giving “the franchise” a few more weapons this off season.

If we can maintain a significant portion of our cap space, depending on what happens with Rak, getting two respectable WR’s via the draft would help the offense's chances of improving. Bruce Allen should also consider signing Hakeem Nicks. Especially, if he’s willing to take a modest three or four year deal (3 years/$21 million or 4 years/$25 million for example). Julian Edelman may have the potential to be the next coming of Wes Welker but that remains to be seen. If he can be signed for roughly 3 years/$15 million, he would be a nice replacement for Santana Moss, assuming Santana isn't resigned. If not, James Jones or Andre Roberts may be willing to bite on a similar contract, as long as the market cooperates of course. It would also be a prudent move to sign at least one more free agent wide receiver available on the cheap. Hopefully, Jerome Simpson has grown up and realizes how much he has to lose and he’s done with being his team’s weed man. If so, he should be available for a bargain deal (3 years/$3.75 million) and he’s already familiar with Coach Gruden’s style so he wouldn’t be taking a huge chance coming to DC at this point in his career. Another option is Kenny “Stop & Frisk” Britt if he's willing to accept a reasonable deal (2 years/$6.5 million) w/very little guaranteed, while he attempts to rehabilitate his image.

We definitely have to sure up the offense, the defense and special teams to have any chance of being competitive going forward. There should be some respectable offensive lineman, defensive lineman, linebackers, defensive backs and tight ends available via free agency, assuming the new found cap space isn't all tied up in a potential long term deal for Orakpo. We need a new punter, some aggressive special teams players, a punt returner/kick returner and basically more depth at just about every position. I don't think we have the luxury of overpaying Rak just because the experts all say that's what needs to happen. If we end up with a few additional draft picks because Orakpo has the option of leaving for a monster contract, the scouting department will have an opportunity to prove their worth by stockpiling some young players who could add depth at key positions like tight end, the defensive and offensive lines, linebacker, safety, cornerback etc. This could end up being a groundbreaking off-season for Skins Nation or it could be a complete disaster. It’s hard to tell at this point. A lot depends on the Orakpo contract situation. Either way… it’s nice to have some options and flexibility to work with for a change.

First of all let me start off by saying paragraphs are your friend, use them. Second, that's a very bold prediction that we will pick up 5 receivers this offseason. You do realize we already have Garcon, Hankerson, and Robinson under contract for next season. That would be a total of 8 WR's. I agree it's a position we need to address this offseason, for sure, however the main focus should be getting Orakpo back and filling the holes on our secondary.

Make no mistake we have a lot of holes to fill and tagging Orakpo is going to be using a lot of our resources. However, he has proven to be our most valuable player on defense with his pass rushing skills over the last 3 years. In my opinion, we shouldn't waste too much money on receivers in Free Agency. Unless we can get somebody like Edelman for a reasonable price, I don't think many others are worth the money or skillset. I would love for us to draft Benjamin or Robinson in the 2nd round though, if they are still available.

I am with you though man. I feel like Grudes and Allen know what they're doing. I trust in them that they will make the right decisions for the future of this team. If they sign Hakeem Nicks or Eric Decker to a big contract, then I will lose my trust quickly.

First of all let me start off by saying paragraphs are your friend, use them. Second, that's a very bold prediction that we will pick up 5 receivers this offseason. You do realize we already have Garcon, Hankerson, and Robinson under contract for next season. That would be a total of 8 WR's. I agree it's a position we need to address this offseason, for sure, however the main focus should be getting Orakpo back and filling the holes on our secondary.

Make no mistake we have a lot of holes to fill and tagging Orakpo is going to be using a lot of our resources. However, he has proven to be our most valuable player on defense with his pass rushing skills over the last 3 years. In my opinion, we shouldn't waste too much money on receivers in Free Agency. Unless we can get somebody like Edelman for a reasonable price, I don't think many others are worth the money or skillset. I would love for us to draft Benjamin or Robinson in the 2nd round though, if they are still available.

I am with you though man. I feel like Grudes and Allen know what they're doing. I trust in them that they will make the right decisions for the future of this team. If they sign Hakeem Nicks or Eric Decker to a big contract, then I will lose my trust quickly.

First of all... thank you for the English lesson but this is a message board not an academic exercise in how to write a dissertation. Second of all... every guy you sign isn't going to make the final roster. You sign some guys knowing they may get cut and thus very little upfront money in the form of a signing bonus. I assumed most astute football fans such as yourself would understand the fact that an undrafted free agent could beat out a Jerome Simpson or a Kenny Britt for a roster spot, during training camp. So signing guys on their level becomes a very low risk proposition. Both of those guys probably won't be in high demand because of their off the field issues and an overall lack of production recently. I disagree with you wholeheartedly about Orakpo being our most valuable asset on defense. That would be Mr. Ryan Kerrigan all day and all night, sir. I didn't mean to come off like I know it all because I don't. I'm just interested in the current dynamics that our team is dealing with and was curious what other fans think about the realities that must be faced, where rebuilding this roster is concerned. By the way... when I'm ready for an English tutor, I will let you know. No hard feelings but come on man... It's not that serious.

Vinny is that you.....build up the lines. Both OL and DL, then add skill positions.

I really thought extremeskins.com was a major step up from hogshaven.com and other nonsensical, ridiculous websites designed for Redskins fans. I guess I was wrong. I know football bruh. I didn't say we should draft 5 WR's in a row in the same round. I simply made the point our QB has no weapons and that needs to be addressed with the same sense of urgency as getting our defense back on track. I thought I acknowledged several times how badly we need to pursue lineman via the draft and also via free agency. As a matter of fact that goes without saying but what good is a solid offensive line with nobody of note to throw to and what good is a "dominant" defensive line, if you can't score on offense? Do any of the Orakpo lovers recognize the fact that we lost 13 games last season, with Orakpo out there doing his thing during most of those games? I am amazed by the fascination with "re-signing your own players". Who cares about that if you're losing?

1. This should just go in the free agency thread

2. the enter key is your friend. 

3. ow, my eyes

I promise you... This will be the last time I post a topic. I had no idea how anal some Redskins fans could be. Some people are so cynical, miserable and sarcastic that they suck the life and the fun out of everything that crosses their path.

Second, that's a very bold prediction that we will pick up 5 receivers this offseason. You do realize we already have Garcon, Hankerson, and Robinson under contract for next season. That would be a total of 8 WR's. I agree it's a position we need to address this offseason, for sure, however the main focus should be getting Orakpo back and filling the holes on our secondary.

I think the point the Op was trying to make was that knowing Gruden does like to go down field he will be bringing in plenty of WRs. If we are talking just WRs I mostly agree with the overall approach although I am not sure we use 3 draft slots. I fully expect us to draft 1 or maybe 2 especially if the first one is not with #34, unless the 3rd one is a very late pick, maybe as a result of extra picks for moving down????   I am not sure what Hankerson has done to deserve any credibility at all. He has been very inconsistent when he can even get on the field. Also, you do realize he torn both his ACL and LCL, right? That takes typically 2 years to recover from. I see an injury settlement for him or season ending IR. With his injury history I just don't see him making any contribution, but that's just me. BTW: We went into the regular season with 8 WRs as recently as 3 yrs ago. It's not uncommon to have 12 or more in camp.

I do see them going after at least one established veteran and they may cost some money. How many WRs have been drafted and make an immediate impact? Not very many and the numbers gets even less when you get out of the top 15 to 20 in the draft. WRs typically take a few years to develop. Bringing in one established vet even if he costs a little more than we like would be a smart move, providing RGIII another target and Garcon some relief.

In terms of FAs, I don't like Hicks but would be good with signing Decker, even if we pay a little extra for him. Having 2 guys that have played with Peyton can't be all bad... If Jordan Reed can stay on the field, what a nightmare our Off becomes to other teams. If Robinson can make the next step which they obviously think he can, all of a sudden a weakness is a strength. Edelman would not be bad if the contract is cap friendly enough.

As for the draft picks, Benjamin would be great but I just don't see him falling to us at all. I do not like Robinson at 34 at all. He is slow, can't blcok well to start and tends to give up on blocks, and is not good at getting YACs. He would comec in as a project. If you get him in the 3rd, then he's not such a reach. I do want a bigger guy like him. I am a bit tired of all the smurfs for WR. Garcon plays bigger than his 6' ft frame but those are hard to find. So not a fan of Cooks either. Too small. I think we are better off going Oline (BPA) or Dline (BPA) with #34 and going WR with the next pick. The drop off in production is not much unless someone like a Landry or Benjamin falls to us which is unlikely.

I promise you... This will be the last time I post a topic. I had no idea how anal some Redskins fans could be. Some people are so cynical, miserable and sarcastic that they suck the life and the fun out of everything that crosses their path.

If you expect to carry on conversation and discuss what other fans think, it might be a good idea to toughen up a tad and not attack the people that respond to you. While no, this isn't English 101, there is a reason that paragraphs are recommended; mainly to make quoting you easier and to avoid having to quote a single huge paragraph. These guys are just trying to help you, and the board out. 

If we are drafting a WR high (which by the way, I don't think we will) then my vote goes to picking up Martavis Bryant out of Clemson. 6'3, runs 4.42 in the 40 and averaged 19.7 YAC last year. Will probably be moved up draft boards pretty rapidly after his stellar combine, and we may well find him out of reach, but he's exactly the type of big, powerful WR we need to complement Garcon.

If you expect to carry on conversation and discuss what other fans think, it might be a good idea to toughen up a tad and not attack the people that respond to you. While no, this isn't English 101, there is a reason that paragraphs are recommended; mainly to make quoting you easier and to avoid having to quote a single huge paragraph. These guys are just trying to help you, and the board out.

I think using paragraphs makes reading a post easier, more than anything. I won't even bother reading a post with no paragraphs or commas, etc.

If you've eaten Honey Bunches of Oats every morning for 10 years, my prediction is that you'll eat Honey Bunches of Oats tomorrow morning.

For the Redskins approach to building the roster, I predict that we will make a lot of big splashes, overvalue free agency in general and especially other teams' free agents while undervaluing the draft except for the first round. Name recognition will be valuable.

I know people are going to say, "Vinny's not running the show anymore" but this has been our organizational identity since Snyder got here and until there's a change, that's my prediction.

Honey Bunches of Oats are friggin delicious.

No question receiver is a need and this is a deep draft at the receiver position - I would not be surprised at all of we take a receiver in either the second or third round and maybe one late as well. I'd also expect us to sign at least one receiver in free agency. But 5 new faces at the position is a lot unless you are counting UDFAs who are camp bodies.

In my opinion wide receiver is a no brainer. RGIII needs weapons and we currently have 1 at that position. Garcon needs help badly. I would like to see 2 WR's drafted and at least one picked up via free agency. M. Bryant and Kelvin Benjamin or Moncrief would be great picks Imo. Maybe get Tate or Nicks(modest contract of course) in FA.

francis.jpg

This called for the old standby. But seriously not everything you said was terrible, just how and where you said it. First around here threads don't just start off by stating opinions in general but opinions with some sort of questions (topic starter) or articles covering the topic being brought up. Second, you mostly ranted on about Rakpo, there is already a thread for both him and the FA topic.

You offered no insightful thoughts on either topic, so they could have went there. You offered an opinion on Gruden's abilities but no validation for that opinion or verification of your experience as to how that would matter. I hope this detailed assessment was helpful and you re-read, edit any thread started before you hit post. People like paragraphs for a reason. This is not an average board with average fans, this is ExtremeSkins. Stick around and conform somewhat or don't. 

All of B. Allen's decisions won't be perfect.  But I have faith in what I'm seeing so far.  I love Rak, but not for $13 mil/year.  Rob Jackson may not be equal, but he'll do if we can use that extra money for some other blue collar players.  One thing I will guarantee: The media will hate on any decision we make.  If we pay Rak, then we overspent.  If we don't, then we're morons for not signing one of our own guys.  

By doing what we're doing for such these days---automatic ban (one week) and thread closed---this just might reinforce your misplaced and insulting defensiveness regarding the quite accurate critiques re: your rule-violating OP 

For new guys, read the rules carefully. As elkabong correctly noted, this OP does not warrant its own new thread based on a random and generic "I predict this stuff...." approach (and the title is taking a risk--see rules).

Why, we could have one of those for every member and wouldn't that be fun!  :)

If any new reader can't figure out why this belonged in an existing thread and does not meet criteria for a stand alone topic, I'd suggest you don't start any new threads. ;)

My appreciation to the guys here who get it and try to pass it on--had the OP accepted the accurate and informed feedback, or just indicated he was starting to grasp a clue, there would have been no ban, for what that's worth.

We are here to have fun, and we do---a lot of it (even as long-suffering Redskins fans). And much of this sizable community's fun is derived from our having rules and standards. People who register agree that they are expected to learn and follow those rules in order to maintain their posting privileges.

Archived