Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns to release ILB D'Qwell Jackson (30 years old)

LaRonDontLikeUgly

i always like what sites like pro football focus have to say about players. even though its not gospel, they've watched more cleveland browns games over the years than i have. that said, as a terp, i love the guy. wouldnt mind seeing him in the burgundy and gold.

2. D’Qwell Jackson, Inside Linebacker

As recently as 2011, Jackson was one of the better inside linebackers in the game. Then he got paid like he was one of the best and his play declined significantly. His Run Stop Percentage of 5.9% in 2013 was fourth worst of the 40 qualifying inside/middle linebackers. In contrast, in 2011 he was making run stops nearly twice as often at 10.2%. Unless something changes it would make sense for the Browns to cut their losses as his cap number exceeds $9.0m in each of the next three seasons.

2013 Cap Hit: $6.4m
2013 Jahnke Value Model: $800k
Value Differential: -$5.6m

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/25/jvm-cleveland-browns/

You mean the guy who was the unquestionable leader of our special teams unit for many years?  Yeah, I remember what happened when he left….

Were not talking about special teams, which went from terrible to god awful. We are talking about our defense, and my point was that "leaders" shouldn't be valued over quality players. 

Sounds like there might be a war for him......and potentially an overpay day.  We need to stay out of these deals for average talent.  That is what kills the Redskins year after year.  Seeing this could potentially be his last decent paying contract, he's going wherever the money is.  How many really watch the Browns every weekend honestly (I admit I don't unless they are primetime)?  I like to take a look at fan forums to get the perspective and it seems its the same for the majority.  Guy is a great leader/character, but productions has fallen, does not cover well, plays the run average.  Enough with signing guys who are known to be 'average', lets find a stud.  I admit I know nothing about ILB for this draft, but if the draft is thin, and the money is right....sign him.  If it's not, we need to move on.  All IMO of course.

i always like what sites like pro football focus have to say about players. even though its not gospel, they've watched more cleveland browns games over the years than i have. that said, as a terp, i love the guy. wouldnt mind seeing him in the burgundy and gold.

2. D’Qwell Jackson, Inside Linebacker

As recently as 2011, Jackson was one of the better inside linebackers in the game. Then he got paid like he was one of the best and his play declined significantly. His Run Stop Percentage of 5.9% in 2013 was fourth worst of the 40 qualifying inside/middle linebackers. In contrast, in 2011 he was making run stops nearly twice as often at 10.2%. Unless something changes it would make sense for the Browns to cut their losses as his cap number exceeds $9.0m in each of the next three seasons.

2013 Cap Hit: $6.4m

2013 Jahnke Value Model: $800k

Value Differential: -$5.6m

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/25/jvm-cleveland-browns/

From what I know about the guy from a few of his teammates at UMD, definitely doesn't have the personality of someone who would collect his payday and sit back in the LaZboy.

Many Browns fans on their message board (although upset that he's leaving Cleveland) agree that his skills have declined… But I gotta think that having a really weak DL and a bunch of other crappy players on D is not making it any easier for the guy in the middle to make plays.

Were not talking about special teams, which went from terrible to god awful. We are talking about our defense, and my point was that "leaders" shouldn't be valued over quality players. 

We're talking about football.  Veteran leadership matters.  You brought up Alexander (who had a limited role in our defense) and my point is that his departure definitely had a major effect on our performance on STs.  

On the flip, I believe that Jackson is both a leader AND a quality ILB.  He fills two areas of need for this team.

When does FA begin? 

Also, 30 y/o for a linebacker isn't bad - especially one as productive as DQ.  I really wanted to draft him 6 years ago - count me in as someone who wants a chance at him.  He would be the perfect replacement for Fletch in terms of leadership and experience.

once a player is cut you can sign them whenever.  He could wait till free agency, or he could try to sign early to get an early cut of the money

Ok I'll go ahead and say it. Everyone clamoring over a 30 year old linebacker. Willing to give him basically whatever money it takes but willing to let a younger, probowl Olb walk because giving him an extra 1-2 million a year is a "win now" move and we are supposedly rebuilding and need the money. Sorry but THIS reeks of a win now move. Resign Rak and Draft a young ILB.

Ok I'll go ahead and say it. Everyone clamoring over a 30 year old linebacker. Willing to give him basically whatever money it takes but willing to let a younger, probowl Olb walk because giving him an extra 1-2 million a year is a "win now" move and we are supposedly rebuilding and need the money. Sorry but THIS reeks of a win now move. Resign Rak and Draft a young ILB.

30 years old isnt that old. You can sign Rak and sign Jackson and still draft a young guy.

With no disrespect to Jackson and all of those supporting to sign him, I think this would be a poor decision if we go after him. First of all with all the other needs, he is too much money to spend on a 30 year old who is unproven in the 3-4 defense. Also if we go after him, then it means we probably don't resign Riley and we would still need another ILB. I would rather try to resign Riley and draft an ILB in the 3rd or 4th round. It seems everyone gets excited over almost anybody that gets released from a team.

Also shouldn't this be in the Free Agency thread?

With no disrespect to Jackson and all of those supporting to sign him, I think this would be a poor decision if we go after him. First of all with all the other needs, he is too much money to spend on a 30 year old who is unproven in the 3-4 defense. Also if we go after him, then it means we probably don't resign Riley and we would still need another ILB. I would rather try to resign Riley and draft an ILB in the 3rd or 4th round. It seems everyone gets excited over almost anybody that gets released from a team.

Unproven in the 3-4 defense? 

If the Redskins announced the signed Jackson for a vet min. type deal, I'd be thrilled. Could be the stop-gap type player that could allow for Keenan Robinson and possibly another 3rd or 4th round draft pick to learn under.

Rolling into 2014 with Riley, Jackson, Robinson, Chrstian Jones/Telvin Smith/Yawin Smallwood, Will Compton would be enticing. Nice mix of youth, prime (Riley) and vet (Jackson)

Chris Borland or Shane Skov?

Unproven in the 3-4 defense? 

Do some research on him. Go to the Browns message boards. It seems he fits just the average mold of an inside linebacker in the 3-4 set. He plays much better in the 4-3. I'm just saying I think we should look elsewhere since we already know we are sticking with the 3-4 defense. A few people mentioned getting him for the vet min. which would be awesome, but we all know that is unrealistic.

Also I just want to point out that it looks like we could be looking to franchise Orakpo, which would cost us around 11 million. If that is the case, then we won't be looking for an ILB through Free Agency this year.

Our fellow Skins fans always salivate over other teams free agents while crapping all over our own free agents. It's ridiculous. 

Do some research on him. Go to the Browns message boards. It seems he fits just the average mold of an inside linebacker in the 3-4 set. He plays much better in the 4-3. I'm just saying I think we should look elsewhere since we already know we are sticking with the 3-4 defense. A few people mentioned getting him for the vet min. which would be awesome, but we all know that is unrealistic.

Also I just want to point out that it looks like we could be looking to franchise Orakpo, which would cost us around 11 million. If that is the case, then we won't be looking for an ILB through Free Agency this year.

Why would be be a better fit? Because he is undersized? He's not pretend he wasn't solid in the Brown defense, I'm just saying after 30 that quality of play steadily declines and he has already shown signs of slowing down.

Bravo. Best post in here. I agree. Even as a MD fan, I say no.

Archived