Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns to release ILB D'Qwell Jackson (30 years old)

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Oh I get your point. But I don't necessarily agree with it. Personally I don't see any major upgrades in FA. Maybe Spikes. Otherwise I think we will overpay for an average player. That's why I'm of the opinion of drafting a guy like Skov or someone and having a open competition in camp. Re - sign Riley as our starter. Open competition for the other spot. But I would lean towards the rookie if competition was close.

Also I think your career suicide quote is overly dramatic. If that decision involved a more high profile spot like QB I might agree but not our second ILB. Riley being the obvious starter.

And please no old overpriced free agents like Jackson. No stop gaps. Unless you can sign a guy around 27-28 or younger I think you just draft a guy and sign some cheap depth. Build for the future.

I don't think it's overly dramatic at all.  It is career suicide if a GM goes into a draft expecting to pick a player that may get picked before he has the chance to select that player.   You need to put 11 guys on the field and you can't place a guy on the field if he's not on the roster.    

I don't see any major  upgrades at ILB in free agency.  But we also had one retire and the other's a free agent.  Currenly, our ILB are Robinson, Compton and Kimbrough.   Not a whole lot to write home about although I do have hopes for Robinson to work himself into a rotation.  Perry Riley is not on the roster currently. 

I think a GM who goes into the draft with just these guys and Riley better hope and pray that pick falls to him, the pick pans out, that pick learns the playbook, and stays healthy for an entire season.    Much better and more logical to pick up a free agent ILB and foster competition.

Has Cooley said anything good about any player outside of the OL on the drive? I listen to the drive and he basically trashes everyone.

He is critical of many players who are pretty hyped up, but he backs it up with concrete analysis and not just the usual media talking heads who look at stats without context. 

He named a couple of ILBs that he wished we would go after, but wasn't sure we could be able to draw them away from their previous teams. 

Hes gonna want good money...vet min is out the question.  Is he still productive? Yes, I just dont know if he is our answer for the price hes gonna command.  This Defense has so many holes, over spending on 1 guy isnt the way to go.  We need to rebuild the D, not plug holes with money.

Colts signed him.

Eesh, for an about to be 31 year old where people are concerned how much he has left in the tank, 4 years 22 million with 11 million guaranteed seems like a lot.

So if you're free agent that's been released you don't have to wait until March 11th for free agency to sign?  Or is this a deal in principle and can't be official until March 11th?

If you've been cut, you can sign whenever.  Free Agency doesn't begin until March 11th, because on March 10th, all those free agents are still technically on their old teams.

We signed OJ Atogwe in February of 2011.  Then the lockout hit right before free agency, but the Atogwe deal still went through.

Eesh, for an about to be 31 year old where people are concerned how much he has left in the tank, 4 years 22 million with 11 million guaranteed seems like a lot.

If you've been cut, you can sign whenever.  Free Agency doesn't begin until March 11th, because on March 10th, all those free agents are still technically on their old teams.

We signed OJ Atogwe in February of 2011.  Then the lockout hit right before free agency, but the Atogwe deal still went through.

I dont think that is too much for him at all... it comes out to be more or less 5.5 mil per year for a starting ILB that can STILL play at a high level (perhaps no longer elite)...

I might argue that for the Colts it would have been better if it was 5.5 mil per for 3 years instead of 4 but this is not a bad deal at all.

Archived