Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: No Jail for Teen with "Affluenza" Who Killed 4 In Crash

AsburySkinsFan

As it turns out, his parents aren't even paying the full tab for his rehab.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Judge-orders-Ethan-Couchs-parents-to--254925901.html

This is disgusting.

All of you people who like to get a look at who the hell cheats the system and robs you of tax dollars, well here they are.

Black, poor, inner city welfare moms.

Oh wait...

~Bang

As it turns out, his parents aren't even paying the full tab for his rehab.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Judge-orders-Ethan-Couchs-parents-to--254925901.html

Y'know, I consider myself pretty close to the center on a lot of issues, but stuff like this really makes me want to break out the red flags, take to the streets and shout "workers of the world unite."

Y'know, I consider myself pretty close to the center on a lot of issues, but stuff like this really makes me want to break out the red flags, take to the streets and shout "workers of the world unite."

commie  :P 

hoist the black flag

I want to be critical, but…When I was young, and stupid, I drove drunk.  Really drunk.  I have driven the wrong way down a one way street, with my closest friends in my car.  It happened when I was 19/20 and it happened again when I was in my 30s.

I was lucky.  We were all lucky.  

And how old is this kid?

Just because it's happened to you too doesn't make it any less stupid. You chose to do it just as he did. If you had killed 4 people you would deserve to be vilified just as much. This kid ain't gonna learn a damn thing by saying he's sorry and being on probation lets be real

It's not "progressive policy" when a rich person gets off when a poor person would have been sent to prison.

isn't it?....they seem to oppose mandated minimum sentences

if he was a Kennedy or such they would even run him for office

Big difference between opposing mandatory minimums which result in 20 year sentences for a dime bag of pot...and no sentence for multiple counts of drunken vehicular manslaughter. Your false equivalency borders on the absurd. In case you missed it, my use of "borders on" is simply for rhetorical effect, your false equivalency is absolutely and completely beyond absurd.

Oh, and what the Kennedy's do is not "Progressive policy" it's corruption of the legal system, the same way all the rich do it when they use high priced lawyers to get out of serious crimes with a slap on the wrist and who then promise to pay the entire bill for their son's rehab only to later file for the state to pick up the tab.

From the OP

The boy's parents agreed to send him to an undisclosed rehabilitation center in California that would reportedly cost them $450,000 a year.

The biggest problem I have with this scenario, is that when you have boat loads of money at your fingertips...why the hell don't you call a cab or pay a friend to drive you ?

My brother-in-law drives us whenever we want to go out and rockstar.  I give him some cash, which is cheaper than the lawyer or a cab. It's absolutely and completely irresponsible and stupid.

Don't get me wrong in another situation, I would have a different opinion. I understand spontaneous poor decision making, but not to the point of ignoring the possible consequenses.  

if he was a Kennedy or such they would even run him for office

More like aristocratic elitism. Rich people don't go to jail. That's for poor people. Who should be ashamed of being poor. The Republican way.

absurd describes this case well....and progressives

That my friend is what we in the kitchen call...weak sauce.

Honestly, my 12 year old has better retorts with "yo momma."

It's like somewhere along the line you just quit trying and settled for being a cartoon.

More like aristocratic elitism. Rich people don't go to jail. That's for poor people. Who should be ashamed of being poor. The Republican way.

Repubs are not the only aristocrats who pay lawyers huge sums of money to avoid jail....in all fairness.

it hardly seems exclusive to one party

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Related news......

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/18/affluenza-alert-rich-ferrari-driving-businessman-gets-work-release-after-7th-dui/

Affluenza alert: Rich Ferrari-driving businessman gets work release after 7th DUI

Angry citizens are vowing to march on the Thurston County courthouse to protest the arrest of a wealthy man who was sentenced for just a year of work-release after his seventh arrest of driving under the influence.

Shaun Goodman was arrested after leading police on a chase that reached speeds of in excess of 100 miles per hour. Henry Griffen, a passenger in the Ferrari Goodman was driving, jumped out of the car when Goodman slowed down to take a corner. He then called 911.

“I jumped out of the car and now I’m calling you guys because I’m scared he might be looking for me,” Griffen told the 911 dispatcher. “He smoked them man. I mean he went so fast.”

At his sentencing hearing, Judge James Dixon noted that he not only had six previous DUIs, but had also recently graduated from a DUI course in Thurston County.

“This is akin to an individual with a loaded gun walking though downtown firing rounds,” Dixon said.

Nevertheless, when Goodman petitioned Judge Dixon to allow him to attend the Super Bowl in New Jersey for “what may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see his hometown team play in the Super Bowl,” the judge allowed this “loaded gun” to leave the state to attend the game.

Now, instead of facing time in jail, Goodman was sentenced to a year of work release. The protestors contend that his sentencing indicates that the court system treats the rich differently than it does the poor when it comes to DUI offenses.

“And the judge has said at some point that he’s an important businessman in the community,” local resident Sam Miller said. “It wouldn’t be fair for him [and] his employees would suffer if he went to real jail.

• 3 months later...

Archived