Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eli, Giants ran fake ‘game-worn’ gear scam: lawsuit

landrydirty30skins

Dont know how many of you all dabble in this industry (I collect game used gear) but this seems like just another reason to hate the Giants and further cement Mara as one of the NFLs biggest scumbags

Quarterback Eli Manning and New York Giants brass created bogus “game-worn” football gear to pass off as the real deal — and one of the forgeries is sitting in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an explosive new lawsuit claims.

A helmet on display in the hallowed Canton, Ohio, gridiron museum — supposedly worn by Manning in Big Blue’s 2008 Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots — is just one of dozens of fake items the football superstar and his Giants cohorts have created to fool fans and make money from collectors over the years, the lawsuit alleges.

Other “forgeries” passed off on collectors include several Manning jerseys, two 2012 Super Bowl helmets and a 2004 “rookie season” helmet, according to court papers.

Two-time Super Bowl MVP Manning took part in the scheme so he could hang on to his personal items, according to the documents.

The memorabilia ruse is so common among Giants players and staffers, the documents claim, that team equipment manager Joe Skiba openly discussed Manning’s fake game gear on an official Giants e-mail account.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/30/eli-and-giants-created-fake-memorabilia-suit/

Blah blah blah, [insert judgment of one person who got caught doing something hundreds of people would do if they could].

If I was worth millions like this sketchy Eli character, I would sell my real equipment and donate the money to charity. I wouldn't feel the need to take people's money and keep the product for myself. Also, I am not one for keepsakes, so they wouldn't matter much to me.

Something would tell me, 'hey you have more money than you will ever need, do the right thing.'

If he wanted to keep his stuff, he should keep it! Don't rip people off. Nobody would blame you for wanting to keep the equipment.

Sincerely,

Random non-millionaire honest guy

Blah blah blah, [insert judgment of one person who got caught doing something hundreds of people would do if they could].

That said...why in the world do people discuss these things on their official business email accounts?

While I agree the faking part is not a huge deal the thing that could give this traction are the accusations of lies being told to a Grand Jury.  Sometimes the Feds don't take kindly to that. 

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

I highly doubt that's a true statement, so I'm not sure what the point of spewing your own hyperbole after criticizing mine is.

I'm not saying what Eli and company did is in any way acceptable.

I'm saying the internet is such a convenient place to come and pat ourselves on the back about how we're better than ______ because we would never ______.  It's a little bit silly.

And the main point of my post is that they were stupid for leaving a paper trail.

Pointing out that it looks like, what we're seeing here, is what the plaintiff in a lawsuit is claiming.

True, but it is interesting that the federal case against him was dropped when info given to them by his defense team shed new light on the charges. 

Archived