Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Current Redskins Coaching Staff

daveakl

I have a feeling this is going to be a disaster, BUT, let's pretend it actually worked out.  Let's say the team wins the division and the defense is a large part of that, the offense is balanced and runs well, and Griffin is back to his old self.

What the **** would the media do with that?

I wish we had Wade Phillips.  This is crap.

The current coaching staff:

Offensive Coordinator: Sean McVay, was our TE coach with good results there, bright young mind, high praise, most are saying he's ready to make the jump up to OC. Does have a brief past connection to Gruden.

Offensive Line: Chris Forester, has had better results in stronger schemes. We will be implementing a stronger scheme. Shanny ignored him when he wanted young guys, like Gettis, to be brought up to replace poor-performing starters. Shanny stuck with Broncos players like Lichtensteiger and Polumbus who shouldn't have been there. No past connection to Gruden.

Running Backs: TBD. Byner interviewed, has a solid track record.

Wide Receivers: Ike Hilliard. Aldrick and Hank were better last season, Woods and Graham in Buffalo good this season, showed good potential. Brief connection to Gruden with Huskers. Not a bad hire, Ike could be a good up and comer, but jury is out. Buffalo despite the QB play shows some potential for Ike, plus he was a part of Garcon transition from 2 to 1.

Tight Ends: Wes Phillips, young up-and-coming guy, good previous experience in coaching, got to coach Witten which should be good for his experience, obviously good family coaching tree under Wade. No connection in past to Gruden.

Quarterbacks: TBD

Offensive Assistant: Aubrey Pleasant  Was an intern here, worked under Chud in Cleveland. No past connection to Gruden.

Defensive Coordinator: Jim Haslett ugghhh, at least he wasn't first choice.

Defensive Line: Jacob Burney Actually had good production from the DL in 2011 and 2012, w/o a true NT and some square pegs for round holes. No past connection to Gruden.

Inside Linebackers: Kirk Olivadotti Great track record in the past with us. No past connection to Gruden, excellent hire on his own merit.

Outside Linebackers: Brian Baker Good results as a position coach in the NFL. No past connection to Gruden.

Defensive Backs: Raheem Morris Has done ok with what little he's been given. Hall emerged, and Amerson looked good, so did Crawford in coverage at times. Rambo started to improve by the end as a 6th rounder. Hard to look great with Merriweather and Madieu, and other garbage heap material. Past connection to Gruden, and he fired him.

Special Teams: Ben Kotwica worked under an NFL great ST coord. for years. Got decent results given it's the Jets, what all he had to work with including a rookie punter and a bunch of different returners due to injuries. Young up and comer for sure and certainly with his background will instill discipline. No past connection to Gruden.

A lot of these coaches do indeed have good merits, others have a lot of potential. Less than half have past connections to Jay Gruden. IMO these are mostly good hires and the whining about cronyism and no merits does not apply, even if we all don't like Haslett staying on.

8 of the 12 coaches currently on staff are either holdovers, or have been here at some point between 2010-2013. So, personally I would expect a product that looks a lot like what the Redskins put on the field from 2010-2013. The one wild card here is Jay Gruden, and what kind of impact will his personnel design, his offensive scheme and play calling, and his development of RG3 have? If he is masterful in those 3 regards, and that's asking a TON from a first time head coach who is also calling his own plays, then we could be dramatically better. On the other hand, if Jay is just a slightly superior OC to what we've had the past 4 years, and just a less dysfunctional HC than Mike Shanahan, then we're looking at a string of 4-12 to 6-10 types of seasons. 

That's my take at least. I think the offense could be pretty potent with some upgrades on the OL and at WR#2. The defense has me mortified, but I'm willing to give it a fair shake and pray for the best. 

8 of the 12 coaches currently on staff are either holdovers, or have been here at some point between 2010-2013. So, personally I would expect a product that looks a lot like what the Redskins put on the field from 2010-2013. The one wild card here is Jay Gruden, and what kind of impact will his personnel design, his offensive scheme and play calling, and his development of RG3 have? If he is masterful in those 3 regards, and that's asking a TON from a first time head coach who is also calling his own plays, then we could be dramatically better. On the other hand, if Jay is just a slightly superior OC to what we've had the past 4 years, and just a less dysfunctional HC than Mike Shanahan, then we're looking at a string of 4-12 to 6-10 types of seasons.

That's my take at least. I think the offense could be pretty potent with some upgrades on the OL and at WR#2. The defense has me mortified, but I'm willing to give it a fair shake and pray for the best.

I disagree with most of this. You can't assume the staff's previous ties and the next few seasons will mirror one another. First off, RG3 was only the QB for 12-13, not 10-11. We had MCTurd and the Beck/Rex fiasco that Shanny said he would stake his rep on. Secondly, we will have a new head hauncho (which you said), and this changes a lot. 3) If is possible the new structure in the FO will change a lot too. 4) The team is in good cap shape. 5) These guys had ties to Allen and Gruden, but not at the same time or in the same roles. Frankly, you connect a lot of dots that are not really connected.

I like the staff, not happy about Hazlett but I like the HC and the other coordinators. There is just as much likelihood this team wins 10 games next season as there is it loses 10... We have no idea at this point and time. Stay tuned, the FA market and draft will say a lot.

Even this season, with an average ST the Skins would have gone 6-10.... How you could say 4-6 win seasons the next few years seems likely makes me wonder why you put so much into it as a fan as we all do as forum regulars. Practice what you preach and "give it a fair shake."

Thank Almighty YAHWEH for You, Bro. BearRock!!!

All the 'Stat Geeks' have been 'CHECKMATED' via the INCONTROVERTIBLE Wisdom of Your SUPERBLY RESEARCHED and ARTICULATED Post!!!

BRAVO!!! KUDOS!!!

*BOTTOM-LINE: GIVE 'The Jimster' A CHANCE!!!

HTTR-4-LIFE!!!

Let me preface this post by saying that I agree with what I believe is the majority sentiment on the board: (1) I think there are better DC candidates out there than Jim Haslett, (2) I think Jim Haslett is a mediocre DC at best, (3) I think it was a mistake for Coach Gruden to retain Jim Haslett. With all that said, I also believe in one thing. The fans are not very capable of judging the qualification of coaches. We only see the end result, which may be deceiving for many different reasons.

The counterargument for Haslett is that the years of poor result cannot be explained away. That if he is so consistently mediocre at best, then the simplest explanation is that the cause must be him, not external factors. I tend to agree with this, thus my agreement with the majority sentiment. It is possible, however, that we are wrong. Certainly, there is reason to pause if Haslett is viewed by among his peers as a capable DC, which appears to be the case.

Thus, I sought out examples to see if there are DCs or defensive minded HCs who toiled under years of mediocrity, only to prove themselves later on.

First, let's look at Jim Haslett.

Everyone discounts the Pittsburgh years (I think for persuasive reasons) so let's start with New Orleans years.

YDA rank: 8, 16, 27, 18, 32, 14, 23, 21, 28, 31, 13, 28, 18

PTA rank: 10, 27, 26, 14, 27, 28, 28, 31, 31, 21, 21, 22, 30

Yeah. It sucks. If it's any consolation, takeaways are better (8, 14, 3, 16, 8, 29, 7, 19, 13, 15, 23, 5, 16)

So some interesting examples I found

Example 1)

What would you say about the following DC?

YDA rank: 7, 10, 15, 30, 15, 21, 29, 16, 31, 23, 31

PTA rank: 8, 2, 13, 27, 17, 15, 31, 20, 27, 15, 32

Now, what if I told you that his first four years were under and Head Coach who was a hot Defensive Coordinator at the time of hiring? Would it give you any confidence that this person was a good DC? Would you even grade him mediocre? Is 11 years large enough of a sample size? What about the last 8 years?

Now what if I told you his most 3 recent years are as follows? And he is doing this under a former QB head coach?

YDA rank: 4, 3, 5

PTA rank: 2, 2, 3

What do we make of one VIc Fangio?

Example 2)

This person has the following ranking before heading back to college ranks

YDA rank: 23, 12, 16, 8, 22, 1, 7, 19, 20, 8

PTA rank: 17, 10, 18, 6, 14, 2, 4, 8, 14, 7

First five years with team 1, two years with team 2, three years with team 3. That means team 2 was (1, 2) year 1 and (7, 4) year 2. Other than that, slightly above average at best wouldn't you say? Now what if I told you that team 2 in the year right before this person became DC was 6th in YDA and 8th PTA? And year right after this person left was 3rd in YDA and 1st in PTA? And what if that person served under a HC who was a former DC to a Superbowl winning team? Does that have you lean toward thinking that those years were the exception or the norm?

Let's look at this man after his return from College

YDA rank: 27, 9, 4, 1

PTA rank: 25, 7, 1, 1

You know who it is right? Yeah, that's Pete Carroll

Example 3)

YDA rank: 30, 27, 3, 22, 27, 31, 22, 14, 19

PTA rank: 31, 25, 18, 26, 24, 21, 13, 16, 24

Good lord, is that Jim Haslett's music? How does this guy keep coaching in the NFL as a DC? Does he have a famous father? Or a famous brother? Do people seriously think that just because a person's father and brother are genius on defense, the other brother must be too? Will he be better if he cuts his hair like his brother? Would anyone have guessed that Rob Ryan would have his defense ranked 4th in YDA and PTA this year after those previous 9 years?

Example 4)

This guy has been around the block a little bit, so let's break it off into chunks.

YDA rank: 2, 2, 7, 11, 5, 2

PTA rank: 5, 2, 13, 9, 2, 1

Fabulous right? A hot DC certainly. The man deservingly gets a HC gig

YDA rank: 18, 14, 12, 7, 24

PTA rank: 14, 10, 17, 1, 20

I knew it. I should have known that he was riding the gravy train under a world class HC. He's not that great.

YDA rank: 24, 24, 7, 21, 20, 24, 23

PTA rank: 20, 6, 2, 9, 17, 6, 17

Hmm.... Not looking all that better is it. I mean 18 years and his best years were the first 6, which were under a defensive minded Hall of Fame HC. Which leads to ...

YDA rank: 7, 9, 26, 6, 4, 10, 11, 25, 31, 25, 26

PTA rank: 1, 2, 17, 2, 4, 8, 5, 8, 15, 9, 10

Hmm.... Maybe Bill Belichick is a pretty good defensive mind after all?

Example 5)

Let's take it in chunks again

YDA rank: 13, 22, 20, 8, 15, 15, 25, 28

PTA rank: 16, 26, 23, 24, 16, 7, 19, 28

Alright, this guy sucks. Eight years, one top 10 each for YDA and PTA. Half in the bottom third of the league. Write this guy off.

YDA rank: 3, 2

PTA rank: 9, 4

Woah. Maybe the previous squad just sucked? I guess 8 years aren't enough to get a good sense of the coach? Watch out for this guy, he's going places.

YDA rank: 28, 28, 25, 22, 9, 17

PTA rank: 27, 30, 31, 21, 14, 32

Yeah, he's going places alright. One-way ticket to suckville. Fourteen of sixteen years are failures. I should've known that he was a fraud when he could only find success with the Pittsburgh squad. I mean Haslett succeeded this guy and had them playing well. Clearly, he's only marginally better than Haslett. I can't believe Pittsburgh wants him back.

YDA rank: 1, 4, 9, 1, 1, 5, 2, 1, 1, 13

PTA rank: 1, 3, 11, 2, 1, 12, 1, 1, 6, 14

Is there something in the water in Pittsburgh? Does Dick LeBeau have to be in Pittsburgh to coach well? Who would've predicted the last 10 years based on the first 16?

----------------

I share the above not to argue that it shows that Haslett will be good. I'm sure many, if not majority, of poorly ranked DCs stay a bad DC. But, even long years of mediocre result does not always tell the tale. I don't have particular confidence that Jim Haslett will be a good DC. I am reasonably confident, however, that given better personnel, he will do better than the last 4 years. To evaluate whether Jim Haslett is a good DC or not requires skills that I do not possess, such as evaluating tape, playcall, and scheme. In the end, I am going to hope that my opinion of Jim Haslett is just wrong and that Coach Gruden and opinion that at least some others in the NFL seem to share, that Jim Haslett is a good DC, is correct. That will surely be preferable to being right.

I disagree with most of this. You can't assume the staff's previous ties and the next few seasons will mirror one another. First off, RG3 was only the QB for 12-13, not 10-11. We had MCTurd and the Beck/Rex fiasco that Shanny said he would stake his rep on. Secondly, we will have a new head hauncho (which you said), and this changes a lot. 3) If is possible the new structure in the FO will change a lot too. 4) The team is in good cap shape. 5) These guys had ties to Allen and Gruden, but not at the same time or in the same roles. Frankly, you connect a lot of dots that are not really connected.

I like the staff, not happy about Hazlett but I like the HC and the other coordinators. There is just as much likelihood this team wins 10 games next season as there is it loses 10... We have no idea at this point and time. Stay tuned, the FA market and draft will say a lot.

Even this season, with an average ST the Skins would have gone 6-10.... How you could say 4-6 win seasons the next few years seems likely makes me wonder why you put so much into it as a fan as we all do as forum regulars. Practice what you preach and "give it a fair shake."

Losing Danny Smith cost us 3 games at least.

Not sure if it was posted yet but it looks like McVay will also be the QB coach.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4962/qa-sean-mcvay

What will your role be throughout the week?

McVay: It’ll be one of those deals where I help Jay wherever I need to fill in. I’ll coach quarterbacks this year too. Jay will be the offensive coordinator and call the plays. But my job is to help as much as I can to implement the game plan. How involved I’ll be as far as install, we haven’t decided that yet. I want to give a bunch of ideas as if I’m putting the game plan together.

Redskins hire Ike Hilliard as wide receivers coach

The Washington Redskins have hired Ike Hilliard as their wide receivers coach, the team announced Monday. Coach Jay Gruden had said Friday he planned to hire Hilliard.

Hilliard returns to the Redskins after serving as the team’s wide receivers coach in the 2012 season under former coach Mike Shanahan. He spent this season as the Buffalo Bills wide receivers coach but was not retained.

The former NFL wideout played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when Gruden coached there. He also coached for Gruden in the United Football League.

So we're still waiting on a running backs coach. Outside of being a Shanahan hire, I'm not sure why our last RB coach wasn't retained. Obviously he did a great job, understands the zone blocking concepts and as I recall, was willing to stay, just like he did last time Shanny was fired in Denver. Almost as puzzling as the retention of Haslett. Is it possible the higher ups thought he was too much of a Shanahan guy to be trusted on staff without leaking info?

I'm also still hoping beyond hope they grab Wade Phillips. Not necessarily as coordinator since that ship has sailed, but if there's no interest elsewhere for him as a DC maybe as a consultant? This team has never been too worried about undermining authority before. Having Wade already in the wings if/when Haslett fails would be pretty smart.

Former Offensive Assistant of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Head Coaching Record: TBD

Major Influences: TBD

JAKE PEETZ CAREER SUMMARY

Title Team Years

Offensive Assistant Jacksonville Jaguars 2012

Scout Jacksonville Jaguars 2010 - 2011

Scouting Assistant Jacksonville Jaguars 2008 - 2009

Offensive Staff Assistant UCLA Bruins 2007

Safeties Coach Santa Barbara City College Vaqueros 2006

Long Snapper Nebraska Cornhuskers 2003 - 2005

Some buzzing on twitter that Doug Williams could be joining the staff soon, on the front office side, as a personnel guy. JLC was talking about it, from what I could tell I got the impression of the role of a regional scout.

Yep.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1h

Williams has a long personnel history (including with Allen in Tampa) and obviously won a Super Bowl as the Skins QB

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1h

Sounds like Skins GM had a good meeting for Doug Williams about a personnel job in Mobile. Nothing set yet but heading in a good direction

I have a feeling this is going to be a disaster, BUT, let's pretend it actually worked out.  Let's say the team wins the division and the defense is a large part of that, the offense is balanced and runs well, and Griffin is back to his old self.

What the **** would the media do with that?

I wish we had Wade Phillips.  This is crap.

I'm with you on Wade Phillips-- I think the media would be too busy reporting  about the science and event of pigs flying to focus on our potential 2014 NFC East title

IMO this is a 2-3 year project minimum to be contenders again

I'm with you on Wade Phillips-- I think the media would be too busy reporting  about the science and event of pigs flying to focus on our potential 2014 NFC East title

IMO this is a 2-3 year project minimum to be contenders again

IMO if Gruden has RG3 looking like his rookie of the year form, we're a playoff team already. 

Redskins add assistant offensive line coach Shane Day

The Washington Redskins on Thursday added another member to Jay Gruden’s staff, signing Shane Day to serve as assistant offensive line coach, a person familiar with the situation confirmed.

Day spent the last two seasons as Connecticut’s quarterbacks coach, and prior to that, coached the Chicago Bears’ quarterbacks for two seasons.

Day replaces Chris Morgan, whom Gruden dismissed last week. Day will work under offensive line coach Chris Foerster, who enters his fifth season with the Redskins, and 21st in the NFL.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/1/25/5346318/randy-jordan-hired-as-running-backs-coach   

Randy Jordan Hired as Running Backs Coach

Randy Jordan has spent the last 2 years as the running backs coach for the University of North Carolina.  He previously held the same job at Texas A&M for 4 years, and at Nebraska for 4 years before that.  He started his coaching career as a special teams assistant for the Oakland Raiders.  Jordan coached current Redskins RB Roy Helu Jr during his freshman year at Nebraska.  He also coached Giovanni Bernard at UNC, who was the 2nd round pick last year for Jay Gruden's former team, the Cincinnati Bengals.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/1/25/5346318/randy-jordan-hired-as-running-backs-coach   

Randy Jordan Hired as Running Backs Coach

Randy Jordan has spent the last 2 years as the running backs coach for the University of North Carolina.  He previously held the same job at Texas A&M for 4 years, and at Nebraska for 4 years before that.  He started his coaching career as a special teams assistant for the Oakland Raiders.  Jordan coached current Redskins RB Roy Helu Jr during his freshman year at Nebraska.  He also coached Giovanni Bernard at UNC, who was the 2nd round pick last year for Jay Gruden's former team, the Cincinnati Bengals.

What the ..... ?

What happened to EB?

Hail, 

Interesting.  Looking at their pedigrees, both Turner and Byner obviously have stronger records.  Wonder what Allen and Gruden saw?  Was it a money issue, a power issue, or did this guy wow the staff.

I do think producing three NFL running backs out of a non NFL factory college speaks well to both his eye and his teaching skills.  Hopefully, he'll be good.  Luckily in the short term our backs are pretty well groomed.

Archived