Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tips on being a Washington Redskins Fan for a new convert!

RED_DREADS

Add that we haven't won more than 10 games in the regular season since our SB season, while ever team in the league has had at least one 11+ win regular season during that time. And yes, the Browns had an 11 win season in 95, the Jags had an 11 win season and even the Raiders and Lions.

that's amazing. 

I mean, the only reason we have had any decent seasons is because the league is built for that.  We are purely benefits of parity. That's sad man.   

Welcome to the jungle! I don't understand jumping ship either but that's a personal decision...to each his own. I've been a fan of this team for 41 yrs..I've seen it all...good, bad, ugly...exciting...champs...chumps...I wear my gear year round...I get insults hurled at me..folks want me to take off my shirt all the time(trust me it's not my body...it's the team that's on the shirt)...they've spit on my car b/c I have stickers, magnets and insignia..I have a Portis jersey on my passenger seat..folks poke fun at me for that...just like any other team there are bandwagoners...we had a boatload of them last season when we won the division...never saw so much skins stuff on cars around here in years! I was like..."seriously? where were you all when I was being insulted?".

I hope you have thick skin..you're gonna need it..here & out and about also...the name shouldn't be changed, we like RG3..we're excited about the future w/a rookie coach, and we're like family...I don't care what you hear from anyone else...Always sign off of everything w/HTTR and you will be fine! LOL!

RED_DREADS

We may never hear from you again, but if you're still here...welcome!

The coaster ride with this team is unbelievable!  You'll probably want to get off at times but the train wreck gets so bad, you'll be afraid you'll miss something.

Like others, I have been a fan and season ticket holder for years.  I'm from PA but never felt connected to the Eagles or Steelers and I didn't become a Skins fan until I was in the Army back in the 80s when I went to a game at RFK. It was electric and back then we were a real winning team.  I've been trying to catch lightening in a bottle ever since to no avail, but I"m a fan for life and hope you will be too.

Go Skins!

HTTR

When trying to decide which player/coach to love, (see Step 1 on the first page), try to pick a player who is about 3rd or 4th on the depth chart at his particular position.  You will sound like a real student of the game.

Anything good that happens in a game is a fluke, anything bad is a precursor for the next 5 seasons.

Find conspiracies in everything that happens.

Keep in mind that, regardless of his strengths and shortcomings, Reed Doughty will start at least a few games at safety every season until he dies.

RGIII is either Jesus or Satan...your call.

1) Redskins normally win the offseason, but we haven't won the offseason bowl in about 4 years.  This year we stand a pretty good chance with all the spending cash.

2) We're at least entertaining compared to other losing teams.  Like I don't think jaguar fans actually expect to win, but we go into every year imagining we're a 9+ win team.

3) RG3 is better than Luck.  It just might not have looked like it to any outsiders last year, but believe us, it's true.  RG3 will get comeback player, MVP and offensive player of the year awards next year.  Heck, he may even win DPOY if he keeps our defense off the field long enough.

4) If our offensive line can't hold blocks for 10 seconds and push the other team's d line 10 yards down field, they suck and they ought to be ashamed to put on the same uniforms as the hogs.  Our fans probably obsess about offensive lines more than any other team in the league, it's just too bad that our owner is the exact opposite.

5) Speaking of our owner, he's the worst person since Shanahan.  Possibly even earlier.  Some theorize he was even responsible for Shanahan.  Regardless, at least he's not Jerry Jones or Al Davis, but it looks like he'll outlive them both.

I think that's some solid things to get you started.

Tips?

Well, everyone here expects every other poster to have a high level of analysis of the game. Not only should you provide a broad, macro perspective on the game, but in addition, painstakingly minute detail of the schemes and plays of not just our team, but also the rest of the league ... with each of your posts.

This should help:

http://youtu.be/S7fN-O4YUBg

Welcome aboard! My advice is: 

1. Learn the words to Hail to the Redskins. All the words. 

2. Head to Richmond for one day of training camp. It's disorganized and no one is there to explain what is going on, but it whets your appetite for the season, plus you can get new gear. 

3. Come to early-in-the-season games, when there is a true sense of Hope in the stands. Wear a burgundy team jersey. When the Skins score, stand up and sing Hail to the Redskins.  Pump your fist in the air at "Rah, Rah, Rah" and the final "Fight for Old DC" 

4. Learn the Skins' history from a book or online article. Our early history has some great stories. If you don't know who Sammy Baugh is, you have much to learn about the Skins. Much of the pride of our fans is from our traditions and history. It gives us hope and feeds our frenzy.

5. Be patient, and savor the victories when they come. New Coach. New Offense. Young Quarterback. Enough Said. 

6. Participate in tailgating 3 hours before game time at Fed-ex. Go online and join a tailgate by invitation. Sometimes, the best part of the games is the tailgate. Tailgate after the game and wait out the traffic. 

7. Never talk bad about Joe Gibbs or Sean Taylor or Art Monk. Everyone else is fair game. 

8. Never get into ANY discussion about the Redskins' Team Name. It is what it is. It's not our issue... it's OTHER PEOPLE'S issue. It's our team's name, and we root for that team. Better to discuss Muhammad, Jesus, or Buddha. 

9. Don't pay too much attention to anything you read in online posts. Websites are not representative of the fan-base.

10. Realize that the fans in DC expect competence and know football. Many will boo incompetence on the field. DC expects great effort and wants a winner. We have great hope for our team, but with a new offense coming in, our expectations will be guarded for the first year until we see how our quarterback and coach relate, and see if this translates to victory. Our hero-coach, Joe Gibbs, was brought in from an Offensive Coordinator position in the 80s... many diehard fans remember this and will make comparisons. To many of us, this feels like it could be the start of a new, bright, era. Joe Gibbs started off with 5 losses. Joe Theismann drives to Joe Gibbs house for a face-to-face. Everything changes after that meeting, and we win the Superbowl the following year. 

11. Dallas is our rival. You cannot have a Dallas fan at your home during Dallas week. Philly and New York Giants fans are barely tolerated only because they hate Dallas, too. You can have them in your home during the week of the games, but you may not talk to them. If we beat Dallas at home during a season, it salvages the season in our hearts, regardless of the record. 

12. Follow the match-ups, and learn about a few players. Your heart will be broken several times during the season, but you will have fun. 

Good luck! 

You picked the right team and organization.  We are so bad that we're going to screw up failing again and win a championship or two.  We've failed for so long, kept the same strategy for so long, and have never won anything under Snyder that it's going to eventually work in our favor just because we ultimately ended up failing at sucking.  

Things you should know or do:

1)  Embrace the suckiness

2)  Never say a bad thing about Robert (He's our quarterback and he's as sensitive as a librarian with a hangover.  You don't want to get into a Facebook dispute with him.  You will lose.)

3)  We now have many African Americans on our team so we're equal opportunity and all which is good. 

4)  John Riggins is the father that you never had...all knowledgable, strong as an ox, and a chic magnet. If you see him at the bar, sit down next to him and wait for the magic to happen.  

5)  Snyder (our owner) is the devil but he's charitable and really loves the Redskins, so we all tolerate him for the most part.  His act is getting old though so we're thinking about kicking him out.  PM TK or Zoony and ask to sign the petition.    

6)  The Hogs are never coming out of retirement and don't try to give our O-line a nickname.   The last time someone gave them a nickname, it sounded like a roommate that sleeps with any and every girl...something like "The Dirtballs" or "Douchebags" or something....can't remember.  

7)  Joe Gibbs is God disguised in bifocal glasses and a frumpy burgundy and gold sweater  

That's it!  Welcome!

HTTR=Hail to The Redskins

I wouldn't go as far to say Gibbs is God, but he's got a direct line to him for sure.   ;)

Hello everybody, not new to football, I decided to abandon ship from a horrible NFL Team which shall remain nameless (they completely suck) after almost a decade of faithfulness to that dumpster fire of a team.

I'm trying to imagine what team you were a fan of, that has been worse than the Redskins over the past 10 years...

Theres a lot of mediocre teams, but of the bottom of the barrel, I'd have to go with: Bills, Jets, Browns, Raiders, Lions, Rams

Based on the strong NFC East support in your household, and the fact that you live in New York, I'd have to go with the Jets or the Bills.

Between those two, your hatred of the Cowboys makes me lean towards the Bills, but I'm going to go on a whim as say you were a Jets fan?

Hello everybody, not new to football, I decided to abandon ship from a horrible NFL Team which shall remain nameless (they completely suck) after almost a decade of faithfulness to that dumpster fire of a team.

So you choose the Redskins. Clearly, you are not a good decision-maker.

I can understand the process of picking a team but only because where I'm from watching the NFL is very uncommon, I'm from the Netherlands, so me picking the Redskins as my team had nothing to do with where I live or family or any surroundings. When I started watching and becoming ever more obsessed with the game of football I had no ties with any team, I just had a instant feeling of bond with this team.

I remember when I was younger I stayed up one night and I don't remember why or when specifically but there was a game on I think BBC, it was the Redskins in all white uniforms against the Giants I think, but my memory is fuzzy on that. I remember I rooted for the all whites from Washington without knowing any rules of the game yet, there was something majestic about this team that stuck with me until I started following the NFL about 4 years ago. So I picked the Redskins in a very bad time just when Shanahan arrived. I read up on a lot of the rich history of the team and the city of DC and bleed Burgundy and Gold now.

It's been a tough ride so far but I can not imagine myself rooting for another team. So that's the part I don't get about switching teams. Once you pick a team you stick by it, it becomes your bloodline. But if you never had a strong bond with the team you rooted for before I guess I can imagine it being possible to switch.

Just be careful once you start becoming a redskin there's no way back in my experience anyway.. Love this team no matter how deep the ship sinks, there will come a day that the glory is restored, I just know it and it will feel good, real good.. :lol:  HTTR!

Decided I needed to hit the reset button and a fresh start so I chose the Redskins for a few reasons. An African American at the QB position (can he handle the stereotypical stigma and flourish or fail?), you guys have won more than one super bowl, your uniform is very distinctive and stands out, you guys represent the nation's capital, and I hate Dallas and y'all play them twice every year with the potential to sweep them.

I read up on the history of the team which has a horrible past concerning racism (the last team to have African American players and was forced to by the U.S. Government), to Joe Gibbs, the Hogs, all the way up to the present with the hiring of Gruden. I've even watched all three super bowls by ordering them free on demand. My favorite won was against the Buffalo Bills.

Anyway, I live in New York, I'm a Pacific Islander, and I plan to go to a game or two this year. Just looking for any feedback and if anybody want to share their experiences. I will be the only one in my family representing the Redskins, there is two Eagles fans, three Giants fans and everybody else likes Dallas. I hope we have a winning record this year and take the division again this year so I can start talking smack!

If you are not loyal to whichever team you were a fan of before, then you are certainly not welcome here.  You don't just go pick a new team whenever you feel like it.  Everybody gets one, that's it.

Damn, but I have spent every Fall since sentience rooting for this team, and rooting for them HARD.  Now, I am coming to the realization that Dan Snyder will never change, never learn, never adapt.  He's only a few years older than me and will never sell the team.  Do I become a prisoner to him the way Raider fans became a prisoner to Al Davis? 

It's not the losing.  The losing I could take.  It's the constant churning of management, the cycle of hype then pointing fingers as it burns to the ground.  It's the free agents who cash the checks and stop trying.  It's going to FedEx and feeling like a schmuck who is being ripped off at every step.  It's listening to Larry Michael kicking Frank Herzog to the curb and taking his spot to ensure the Chief Bootlicker would control the microphone.  Make no mistake, the blame lies with the owner, and with the owner alone.

It used to be so different.  We used to be a team.  It meant something to be a Redskin.  Now, this team has no identity, other than being drama queens during the season and then "winning" every offseason by overpaying for someone else's washed-up goods.

A part of me wishes they would change the name so the Redskins would be dead and I could move on.  How messed up is that?  Loving this team is my birthright and Le Petit Daniel is destroying it.

My advice is to find another team.  As long as The Danny owns this team, we are stupped.

I've contemplated switching teams. After all, I'm from Wyoming so the geological doesn't come in to play. I've never been any farther east than Missouri. I feel like I've enjoyed the heydays of the 80's. And I don't like politicians.

But as the Bible says "as a dog returns to his vomit so a fool returns to his folly" So here I am.

So before you get hooked make sure this is what you're willing to put up with. I don't know why but this is a fun team good or bad and it's better to cheer for the Skins than any other team. And compared to the rest of the NFC East this team and the fans has more class in their poo than the others do in their entirety.

HAIL

Archived