Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Falcons could start 5 or more rookies on defense

RiverboatGambler

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/24199808/falcons-could-start-5-or-more-rookies-on-defense?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Falcons could start 5 or more rookies on defensePosted: Dec 11, 2013 9:11 PM PST Updated: Dec 11, 2013 9:21 PM PST
Posted by Zach Irwin - email

24199808_BG1.jpg

FLOWERY BRANCH, GA (AP) -

The Falcons are giving rookies bigger roles, especially on defense, down the stretch of a lost season.

Coach Mike Smith says the commitment to youth which was so obvious in last week's loss at Green Bay will continue this week against Washington.

Even as he continues to say his priority is to win this season and establish momentum for 2014, Smith acknowledges there could be "growing pains" as more rookies start and receive significant playing time.

The youth movement is especially obvious on defense. The Falcons could start five or more rookies on defense against Washington. Three first-year defensive backs could start against newly installed Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins -- cornerbacks Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford and safety Zeke Motta.

Looks like we are winning this one. No excuses guys. Don't want to hear anything from moss or garcon this week... We are playing a JV defense so we should score 1000 points. The point total on my online book is at 49.5 Second highest of all the games this coming Sunday.

A win would feel so good, even if losing is the best thing right now.

Cousins winning will create a momentary QB controversy in the media and among silly fans still pining for Colt Brennan. RG3 is the franchise QB though, and even if say Cousins leads the team to win its last 3, it won't change RG3's team status. What it will do is raise Cousins' trade value. We probably will beat ATL, Dallas is a toss up but we probably lose, Giants are doing better and we likely lose that one also. 

Cousins winning will create a momentary QB controversy in the media and among silly fans still pining for Colt Brennan. RG3 is the franchise QB though, and even if say Cousins leads the team to win its last 3, it won't change RG3's team status. What it will do is raise Cousins' trade value. We probably will beat ATL, Dallas is a toss up but we probably lose, Giants are doing better and we likely lose that one also. 

RG3 is Jay Schraider and KC1 is Doug Williams. We'd be SB bound if we started Kirk week 7.  ols

The point is not about winning or losing right now.  The question is effort, strategy, and heart.  Honestly, if I see a brilliant game with lots of roll outs, misdirection, short routes, etc.  I'm going to be a little bit conspiratorial about it.  I fully expect Shanahan to try to pull out all the stops to try to create the illusion that it was all RGIII.  Every gaping hole in run defense clearly was the fault of RGIII.  Every converted third and 15... RGIII.  Every pass coverage scheme that left the star receiver uncovered... RGIII.  At the same time, the offense which started out generating yards has gotten worse and worse.  Much of that was the qb, but it was also crappy line play, crappy use of personel, and crappy playcalling.  If we suddenly see better.  Well, part of me will cheer and part of me will think screw-job.

RG3 is Jay Schraider and KC1 is Doug Williams. We'd be SB bound if we started Kirk week 7.  ols

Kirk Cousins should look like Tom Brady/ Peyton Manning in the next 3 weeks. We play 3 of the worst defenses in the league in the next three weeks. 2 with losing records and 1 barely above .500 with a horrid defense. I hope you where being sarcastic when you said we would be SB bound starting Kirk Cousins in week 7 LOL.

I hope Kirk does well though. NOT because of trade value or to see him outperform RG3 (which against these 3 teams) he should do ok. I'm just a Redskin fan and want to see us win regardless to whom is QBing. But RG3 is our franchise QB whether some on here want to accept it or not. Shannahan has shown his true colors now and needs to find somewhere else to go. My guess is where ever he and Kyle goes, Kirk Cousins will probably go as well.

Cousins has been a good soldier through all of this.  He had the right to go whining for more time given RGIII's play.  He had the right to go crying to the press for a trade given how commentators talk about him, but he has been nothing but the good soldier... at least in public.  I hope he kills it.  I hope he does great.

Thing is, even if he does, it doesn't erase everything else.

The point is not about winning or losing right now.  The question is effort, strategy, and heart.  Honestly, if I see a brilliant game with lots of roll outs, misdirection, short routes, etc.  I'm going to be a little bit conspiratorial about it.  I fully expect Shanahan to try to pull out all the stops to try to create the illusion that it was all RGIII.  Every gaping hole in run defense clearly was the fault of RGIII.  Every converted third and 15... RGIII.  Every pass coverage scheme that left the star receiver uncovered... RGIII.  At the same time, the offense which started out generating yards has gotten worse and worse.  Much of that was the qb, but it was also crappy line play, crappy use of personel, and crappy playcalling.  If we suddenly see better.  Well, part of me will cheer and part of me will think screw-job.

I agree. Our offense has looked really good for stretches this year and then all of a sudden the play calling changes. We've seen time and time again this season that the offense moves the ball better in the no huddle. We'll run no huddle for a few drives, see that it works, and then just stop using it.

Also, if Cousins does look good these next 3 weeks, I don't think it means much. For one, we're playing against 3 really bad defenses. Secondly, Matt Flynn and Kevin Kolb had a few good games and see where they are. I'm just not sold that if Cousins plays well he should be the answer. You don't give up what we did for RG3 and make it a 2yr experiment and then move on. If that's the case, all the coaches and Allen should be fired.

This is the perfect storm for a  good Cousins performance.  Gregg Cosell said yesterday that Cousins should light it up against the next three weak defenses they are about to face.  I bet Jordan Reed and D Young are back, too.  

I hope that's not the narrative coming out of these 3 weeks and people don't think Cousins got served up bad defenses to look good, because RG3 played against 5 of the bottom 10 defenses in QB passer rating against (Dallas, Minn, GB, Oak, SD), and all 5 of the bottom 5 in passing yardage given up (SD, Denver, Minn, Philly, Dallas).  So RG3 and Cousins will have apples to apples comparisons because they both played against comparably bad teams, and two of them are the same.  

I'll say this.  I'm all for a best man plays scenario.  No one's annointed and if Cousins magically becomes Brees then that is a great thing and competition for a starter in camp should be fierce and honest.  I hope Cousins kicks butt and then RGIII comes back next season and regains his magic.  Let's have an incredibly hot and ridiculous qb controversy.  That would be great!

Right now, it doesn't exist and I don't see it happening.

I hope that's not the narrative coming out of these 3 weeks and people don't think Cousins got served up bad defenses to look good, because RG3 played against 5 of the bottom 10 defenses in QB passer rating against (Dallas, Minn, GB, Oak, SD), and all 5 of the bottom 5 in passing yardage given up (SD, Denver, Minn, Philly, Dallas).  So RG3 and Cousins will have apples to apples comparisons because they both played against comparably bad teams, and two of them are the same.  

You don't think it is relevant that the sample size on the two players this season is going to be 13 games (12 meaningful games, 1 snow storm, and four before the bye week where Robert was still mending) versus 3 games (two meaningless games against horrid Ds and one rivalry game that could have implications depending on what happens this week but which has Monte Kiffin coaching it up either way) matters? That isn't apples-to-apples. Additionally, you can't say that because Reed and Young have been missing the last three weeks, a big part of the struggles on offense, and they might be back these last three games. Add to it that the D and STs have been so bad, Robert has been a sitting duck behind a swiss cheese line because we are in obvious passing situations the entire game (thus also making AlMo useless). I think you are missing what is really going on here, just my honest opinion.

You don't think it is relevant that the sample size on the two players this season is going to be 13 games (12 meaningful games, 1 snow storm, and four before the bye week where Robert was still mending) versus 3 games (two meaningless games against horrid Ds and one rivalry game that could have implications depending on what happens this week but which has Monte Kiffin coaching it up either way) matters? That isn't apples-to-apples. Additionally, you can't say that because Reed and Young have been missing the last three weeks, a big part of the struggles on offense, and they might be back these last three games. Add to it that the D and STs have been so bad, Robert has been a sitting duck behind a swiss cheese line because we are in obvious passing situations the entire game (thus also making AlMo useless). I think you are missing what is really going on here, just my honest opinion.

The sample size is what it is, I'm just talking about the level of competition.  And Reed and Young haven't been missing the whole season though and are just now seeing time.  They've missed the last few but RG3's had his opportunities to play with them.   And the D and special teams were bad under RG3, they'll probably be bad under Cousins.  Are you expecting the the D and special teams and OL will all the sudden turn it around to benefit Cousins?

The sample size is what it is, I'm just talking about the level of competition.  And Reed and Young haven't been missing the whole season though and are just now seeing time.  They've missed the last few but RG3's had his opportunities to play with them.   And the D and special teams were bad under RG3, they'll probably be bad under Cousins.  Are you expecting the the D and special teams and OL will all the sudden turn it around to benefit Cousins?

The D and special teams where bad "under" RG3???? When did the QB become responsible for those two units level of play? I think you meant they're bad under Haslett and Burns!!! RG3 has his problems this season. But it's NO WAY we should've lost a few games this year had it NOT been for the D and special teams. 

Asking ANY QB to win with a team D that gives up an average of 31+ pts per game is asking A LOT!!!!! RG3 played well enough to beat the Vikings, Giants and Lions. Aldrick Robinson drop took ALL momentum away from us in the Lions game. I don't want to get into the Vikings or the Giants game.

So in a nut shell no defense or special teams is "UNDER" no QB. But they can help or kill an offense. Special teams and defense has been the worst ALL year. Hell Baltimore won the Superbowl with a sub par QB and a GREAT defense because NO ONE could score on Baltimore.

Cousins has been a good soldier through all of this.  He had the right to go whining for more time given RGIII's play.  He had the right to go crying to the press for a trade given how commentators talk about him, but he has been nothing but the good soldier... at least in public.  I hope he kills it.  I hope he does great.

Thing is, even if he does, it doesn't erase everything else.

I disagree.  Cousins has 1 career start.  He doesn't have the right to whine about anything.  At least not yet.  You can make a better argument that Rex has a right whine since he knows Kyle's offense better then any of them and did help lead a team to a SB.  If Cousins plays well over the next 3 weeks and RGIII continues to struggle next season then Cousins has the right to complain.  However they're both likely going to be learning a new offense unless Shannahan gets HC somewhere and trades for Cousins. 

I guess I'm trying to get a better understanding of this post. I'm trying to understand how are they comparable? Out of your list, only 2 of those teams have a losing record. RG3 beat the Raiders and played well enough to beat the Vikings. He also beat the Chargers in a shoot out. GB had Aaron Rodgers when the Redskins played them and it was the second game of the year. RG3 has faced the most  brutal part of the schedule. How is it apples to apples????

Cousins will NOT face but 1 winning team. THE COWBOYS!!!! LOLOLOL The other 2 like us have virtually NOTHING to play for but a draft position and pride at this point.

In the beginning I really thought that but now I’m not so sure.  RG has two bum knees.  There is NO WAY he’ll come back to his 4.4 speed again and there is no guarantee he’ll be a good pocket passer.  Last thing I would do as a coach if it were me was trade a guy who could be a starter somewhere else when my so called franchise player is questionable.  

We are all speculating that RG just needs an off season to be himself again but that is 50/50 at best.  RG is a big ? mark right now and no one has an answer until next year. 

The D and special teams where bad "under" RG3???? When did the QB become responsible for those two units level of play? I think you meant they're bad under Haslett and Burns!!! RG3 has his problems this season. But it's NO WAY we should've lost a few games this year had it NOT been for the D and special teams. 

Asking ANY QB to win with a team D that gives up an average of 31+ pts per game is asking A LOT!!!!! RG3 played well enough to beat the Vikings, Giants and Lions. Aldrick Robinson drop took ALL momentum away from us in the Lions game. I don't want to get into the Vikings or the Giants game.

So in a nut shell no defense or special teams is "UNDER" no QB. But they can help or kill an offense. Special teams and defense has been the worst ALL year. Hell Baltimore won the Superbowl with a sub par QB and a GREAT defense because NO ONE could score on Baltimore.

Dude, I wasn't blaming RG3 for the D and special teams.  Seriously.  I'm just simply saying they'll have the same problems.  Cousins isn't coming in with an all new defense and special teams that's gonna help him look good by giving him field position and not letting them get behind.  People are talking like Cousins is coming in with an all new roster playing against teams that RG3 also didn't play. 

In the beginning I really thought that but now I’m not so sure.  RG has two bum knees.  There is NO WAY he’ll come back to his 4.4 speed again and there is no guarantee he’ll be a good pocket passer.  Last thing I would do as a coach if it were me was trade a guy who could be a starter somewhere else when my so called franchise player is questionable.  

We are all speculating that RG just needs an off season to be himself again but that is 50/50 at best.  RG is a big ? mark right now and now one has an answer until next year. 

When did RG3 get 2 bum knees?? That's a new one on me. I guess inaccurate reports come out all the time  ;)

Dude, I wasn't blaming RG3 for the D and special teams.  Seriously.  I'm just simply saying they'll have the same problems.  Cousins isn't coming in with an all new defense and special teams that's gonna help him look good by giving him field position and not letting them get behind.  People are talking like Cousins is coming in with an all new roster playing against teams that RG3 also didn't play. 

Ok. cool bro. I see. I think ANY QB will have the same problems on this team right now. But in all we're saying the same thing. 

Archived