Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013-2014 NCAA Basketball Thread

China

UNC is corrupt and has shady association with a huge educational scandal involving student-athletes, but they would never cheat the game of basketball. Ever. 

On the other hand, Duke is frequently the pet child of the ACC and is frequently gifted calls. It is sad.

UNC is corrupt and has shady association with a huge educational scandal involving student-athletes, but they would never cheat the game of basketball. Ever.

On the other hand, Duke is frequently the pet child of the ACC and is frequently gifted calls. It is sad.

You obviously missed the first Syracuse game. And your constant whining about Duke is beyond old. You're just mad because none of your 8 teams can beat them lol.

Parker ran through a planted defender, block, and 1. Fair drives baseline, defender slides under him after he is in air, charge, no basket. Boheim ejected, 4 FT Duke. 9 point swing. Duke wins. Imagine that.

As Bilas pointed out, Boheim cost his team the game, not that questionable call. He should be ashamed of himself. Total overreaction.

That call absolutely changed the game and gave it to Duke on a platter. In no world is it okay for officials to hand a game to a team. Officials should aim to be impartial and call the game correctly and fairly.

By calling a ludicrous offensive foul in that situation, it's not 60-60, or 61-60 Syracuse. It's 60-58 Duke. Then, add in Boeheim's rant (which is well warranted in his situation considering his team just got jobbed BIG TIME + it's his first regular season ejection in his career so you know he's got to be PRETTY pissed off to get tossed) and Duke's got the game on a silver ****ing platter. Absolutely ridiculous.

This Duke team is not good. They are above average at best. Unfortunately, if recent history is any indication of how the committee will treat Duke, Duke will win the ACC tournament (as is tradition), and get a #1 seed this year. The overrating of Duke every year is comical.

ix, I see you failed to address the HORRIBLE no call on the Hood dunk that DEFINITELY cost Duke the first game. Typical hater.

The call last night was not an obvious blown call. Block/charge calls are the toughest for officials to make. It was a questionable call. But one that didn't directly result in Syracuse losing. Jim cost his team any shot at winning. Get over it. Syracuse can't even beat BC lol.

ix, I see you failed to address the HORRIBLE no call on the Hood dunk that DEFINITELY cost Duke the first game. Typical hater.

The call last night was not an obvious blown call. Block/charge calls are the toughest for officials to make. It was a questionable call. But one that didn't directly result in Syracuse losing. Jim cost his team any shot at winning. Get over it. Syracuse can't even beat BC lol.

I guess you mean this "horrible" call. The one where the ball was knocked out of his hand by the defender hitting the ball. Yeah, real bad call. :rolleyes:  I guess it should always be illegal to block a shot by duke, especially when it could win the game. 

noncall.gif

As far as yesterday's game, that is a tough call. I wish there was another gif showing Hood's feet. This one shows Hood moving into Fair as he is in the air, which is a defensive foul. However, it does appear he established initial position, which would then allow a side-to-side movement to hold that position. Those calls are always hard in real time and I know the rules were changed to shift more block/charge calls towards the offense, but to be honest, I haven't see many like this called a block. 

ofoulcuse.gif

Boeheim flipped out because of the magnitude of the call, but it cost his team any shot at pulling off a late comeback. He also learned a valuable lesson. He won't get a call on tobacco road, especially not at Duke. He'll get that same lesson when he goes to UNC.

^^ He got him on the arm lol. Wow. How do you not see that?

Dude, Duke gets charges called all the time. You are obviously a Duke fan. Of course Duke always gets fouled and never commits a foul. Look at the FT shooting disparity of games in Cameron. For a team that jacks 3s as ~50% of their offense (meaning they aren't driving to the rime). I posted those numbers during the Duke-UMD game. It held for the Syracuse game, even though Syracuse attacks the rim more than any team in the ACC. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O55rhjQh8VA

Hood was clearly moving into Fair as he was in the air. You can't lean into a players path to create a charge. Fair clearly was going around Hood on the baseline side, so Hood leans towards the baseline. Just because his hands are in the air doesn't mean its a charge. When Dookie V and Jay Bilas think it was a bad call, it is a BAD call.

Additionally, that "foul" on the arm on the dunk attempt doesn't get called if you get the ball. You are very hard pressed to block a shot like that without a little body contact

I'm worred Florida will go on another run for a national title.  Really tired of them when they won back to back, but I guess that was when Tebow was winning back to back for them also.  I don't want the Gators winning it.

As a MD fan, I hate Duke.  But up until about 10 years ago, I always had respect for coach K.  He would have high graduation rates, wouldn't retire jerseys until they got their degree and he never went after the one and done guys.  Now, he seems like he just wants to pile up wins for his legacy no matter what.  I may be wrong, but it just seems that way to me. I know the age limit put kids in a one and done situation, but somehow he seemed to get the guys to stay in school. 

Also, I find it funny that Duke fans always chant "not our rival" and Mike has been complaining about MD leaving, so if we were so insignificant to the ACC and aren't a rival, why all the complaining and tears?  I mean, what do you care?  You're getting Louisville. And BTW, MD has the 2nd most overall national championships in ALL sports in the ACC next to UNC.  Don't tell me we are insignificant or didn't contribute to the conference.

Louisville is a huge upgrade over Maryland on the hardwood.  Really not even close. 

Sure Louisville has won 3 national championships to our 1, but I wouldn't say, not even close.  I'm a Univeristy of Memphis alum and the Cards won 2 of them in 1980 and 1986, so I have first hand knowledge of them from our times in the Metro Conference and the Great Midwest Conference.  They have not been that much better than MD in the last 20 years.  I wouldn't say it's a "huge" upgrade and I think it's closer than you make it out to be.  MD had to basically tear down what Gary Williams had and rebuild.  I wish I had more faith in Mark Turgeon at this point, but I don't.  He's been great a recruiting, but the results on the court aren't there. 

Louisville will always have a good basketball team, but history has shown that they aren't as dominant as people think.  I think basketball wise, it's an even swap, with the ACC getting a better football team with the Cards, but Louisville football was just as much a non factor up until 10 years ago.

Not sure about MD being equal to Louisville in basketball. Since 2002, MD hasn't been the same team. Since their title run, they've made the tourney 5 times and haven't been back since 2010 (this year looks like another miss).

I did say that MD is sort of rebuilding while Louisville has been the better team, but I don't think the difference is as big as he was making it out to be. MD basketball has been down, I agree.

^^ He got him on the arm lol. Wow. How do you not see that?

Under the principle of verticality the defender has a right to the space above him.  The Syracuse defender's arm is vertical.  The contact is initiated when the Duke player brings his arm foward when he attempts the dunk. He caused the contact on a defender who was in a legal defensive position.  Good no call by the official.

I don't have a problem with the charge call either, though the official could have gotten away with a no-call there too.  And you're right, block/charge may be the toughest of all calls to make. Some officials go by the edict that if a player hits the floor you've got to call something. I don't always agree with that.   But if the official felt he had to call something, charge was a good call.

Archived