Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013-2014 NCAA Basketball Thread

China

Insanely good game last night. Thought the 5th fouls against Parker and Jefferson were tough calls. They were both obviously oversold by the Cuse players, and I thought in those situations the refs should have swallowed their whistles for questionable huge impact calls like that.

We both commented that the 'Cuse team was primarily made up of Drama majors, LOL...

if you are throwing up 35 3's......you'll probably not hit as many as last night, and probably lose to equal to better teams. Hitting those late in the game were insane. But that usually doesn't happen. Dickie V has been doing this for a long time and got blasted in the interwebs for not understanding blocking the ball isn't a foul. Knocking the ball out and then the two guys hitting each other isn't a foul. They got that right.

Was cute how ESPN is really trying to sell folks on the idea that the ACC isn't a dying conference. This game was great. Hopefully all their matchups are great. It doesn't make the ACC the top anything. 10 years...maybe less...and that conference is done.

We both commented that the 'Cuse team was primarily made up of Drama majors, LOL...

Haha I definitely mentioned that their basketball team was required to take drama as freshmen!

Was cute how ESPN is really trying to sell folks on the idea that the ACC isn't a dying conference. This game was great. Hopefully all their matchups are great. It doesn't make the ACC the top anything. 10 years...maybe less...and that conference is done.

What sort of crazy is this? They've got at least 4 teams that will be very dangerous in the NCAAs and possibly the favorite in Syracuse.

SkinsGoldPants is right, the ACC is a joke. There are no rivalries now and they lost a team like Maryland that helped shape the conference into what it was.

You younger guys have no idea what a great conference the ACC once was. Kids in school used to skip to watch the opening round games of the ACC tourney. If you went to school, teachers would roll tvs into class so you could watch the games. Now there are too many teams. And with the constant changing of teams, there will never be any rivalries.

I will say this: that Duke-Cuse game was great stuff. The officiating was obviously one-sided though.

Haha I definitely mentioned that their basketball team was required to take drama as freshmen!

What sort of crazy is this? They've got at least 4 teams that will be very dangerous in the NCAAs and possibly the favorite in Syracuse.

Hoops are fun, but they aren't carrying conferences. So, you have a few good hoops teams. If Maryland gets the number knocks down for leaving the ACC, or even eliminated. It won't be long before FSU and Clemson roll out too. People talk of these agreements in the SEC of not accepting those schools...but at the end. Cash is King and if the ACC survives. It will look like what the new Big East does now.

Personally I think a new conference will be born in the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast for schools that have decent programs for Football and Hoops.

WVU knocks off Oklahoma! And it was on west coast TV! Awesome!

Huggybear has finally gotten the kids to finish games. 

6 of their last 8 games are against ranked teams, at at 14-9 they are realistically only looking at the NIT at best. 

That said, if they reached 20-11 by the end of the season and won 2 or more games in the B12 tourney, they might be a decent bubble team. 

This team is set up for next year though. 

VCU and SLU really making big runs in conference. A10 should get quite a few bids.  A deep run may have SLU and VCU on the way to the Big East.  I say this because TV ratings for the Big East have been awful and everyone loves watching teams like VCU(havoc style and young coach).  We bring viewers and SLU brings a huge market.

SkinsGoldPants is right, the ACC is a joke. There are no rivalries now and they lost a team like Maryland that helped shape the conference into what it was.

You younger guys have no idea what a great conference the ACC once was. Kids in school used to skip to watch the opening round games of the ACC tourney. If you went to school, teachers would roll tvs into class so you could watch the games. Now there are too many teams. And with the constant changing of teams, there will never be any rivalries.

I wouldn't say its a joke, but it is not the powerhouse that everyone thought it would be.  I think Maryland has been snubbed as one of the powerhouse teams in that conference over the years.  In the 80s, they had some great teams under Lefty that would challenge the UNC/Duke stranglehold.  They are the only other team besides UNC/Duke to win the championship since NC State did it in 83 (on a fluke). They were the most consistant team getting into the NCAA tourney besides UNC and Duke.

Now, Louisville is a great replacement for them.  I think the ACC got only slightly better with the new additions for next year.  UNC and Duke will always be there.  But now Syracuse and Louisville will challenge.  But that's it. So if Louisville replaces MD, then they've only gotten better by one team.  Everyone else in the conference is an also ran or they'll have a great season here and there (see Ga Tech a few years ago, FL St a few years ago and Miami last year).  Top to bottom, the conference won't be a juggernaut unless a few more teams get better consistantly (ND? Wake? NC State?)

As a MD fan, I think they get shortchanged for what they did for the ACC over their lifetime.  Bubble Screen is right that you should have seen the wars put on by the original 8 of the ACC (pre FL State). 

After they let that close game against Kansas on Saturday slip away, I thought WVU's bubble chances were pretty slim.

But they absolutely took #11 Iowa State to the woodshed last night..and might have put them back on the committees radar. 

Either way, it's been a rough 2 years of major sports for WVU..so this glimmer of hope is encouraging.

Archived