Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Build Your Front Office

PigskinRedskin

1st off, I apologize if this isn't thread worthy, but I do feel as though with all the talk about how Shanahan, Haslett and Burns should be eliminated and start fresh; I was just wondering who everyone thinks would be a good fit, or who they think could really help out our talented players.

This isn't a complete dream thread, pick coaches/coordinators that are available such as; Gruden, Briles, etc.

As for me, I think Art Briles would be nice as our HC, re-kindle the Baylor connection with RG3 and Briles has shown he can still do it, making Baylor a dominant force still at the college level.

I'm not to familiar with who'd be available as for coordinators, just wanted to hear thoughts (level-headed thoughts) on what kind of front office you feel would really succeed here with our players/style.

First off, my GM would be someone who's young and hungry, a top #2 on a winning organization. Hire someone from the Packers organization, those guys churn out executives like nobody's business.

Let the GM hire the coach. Ideally, someone like him: young and hungry up and coming coordinator. I really like 49ers OC Greg Roman and Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell. Both have experience with young mobile QBs, neither are particularly old, both could be our next Joe Gibbs. I'm sick of retreads.

First off, my GM would be someone who's young and hungry, a top #2 on a winning organization. Hire someone from the Packers organization, those guys churn out executives like nobody's business.

Let the GM hire the coach. Ideally, someone like him: young and hungry up and coming coordinator. I really like 49ers OC Greg Roman and Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell. Both have experience with young mobile QBs, neither are particularly old, both could be our next Joe Gibbs. I'm sick of retreads.

I completely agree with getting younger blood in here, someone with a willingness to build a name for themselves and honestly, we have a lot of pieces that can help achieve that dream.

As people mull around in the same habitat for so long, they become comfortable and bored, more likely to be around for the check and not for the responsibilities that the position. Not calling out anyone in particular, just a common occurrence in the world of work from what I've noticed.

As for Greg Roman and Darrell Bevell, you make good points with the whole experience with young, mobile QB's and from watching Kaepernick and Wilson, it seems they are a little more safe. It could be just themselves and their specific personality/style or could stem from the coaching really harping on that facet of the game.

100 % with you on Briles. 

As for the FO, we need to either hire a FOOTBALL GM and let HIM pick the next Coach AND players. Not a situation were the Coach has final say over personnel decisions like now. A younger, hungry guy as Warhead suggested. Or even promote someone like Morocco Brown who has served his apprenticeship and served it well. 

Bruce Allen isn't that guy. At best you may keep him as a numbers guy and link between GM and ownership. But he shouldn't have ANY part in player acquisitions. 

Hail. 

I would look at David Shaw and Kevin Sumlin....I'd be fine with Gruden.

In case people don't know:

David Shaw is the current Stanford coach and has served in the NFL for 10 years ('95 - '05). Only 41 years and is 30-5 already at Stanford, a lot of good experience as a QB Coach for Ravens/Raiders. Seems like a great mind.

Kevin Sumlin is Texas A&M coach and we all know who he has as his QB, Manziel, whom Sumlin made a starter from 3rd string. He's 18-4 at Texas A&M, and while at Univ. Houston, he was 35-17. He's 49 years old and great experience with a mobile QB.

I would look at David Shaw and Kevin Sumlin....I'd be fine with Gruden.

This isn't a 'Coach' thread so let's not get off track, but Chucky is the LAST person I want as the next HC. 

NO re-treads. Give me a young (or not if I get my dream of Briles), hungry, attack minded Coach. I want to give a guy a chance who can have his success WITH the Redskins. Not a tired old vet. 

Hail. 

I'd let a young GM like Brown take over and pick his own coach. It's hard to name a GM, because so much of that is based on things we can't know. We don't know how much of their team's success is based on what those assistant GMs do, and we fans can't interview them and hear what their philosophies are.

If I was hired as GM (as I should be), my coaches I would look at would be:

Ken Whisenhunt- If Snyder insisted on an established coach, KW has a history of being an innovative offensive coach, has had success, lost his job because of lack of talent on his team, not his coaching. He  is still fairly young and doesn't seem like he'd be the type to demand being the de facto GM.

Kevin Sumlin- This is the  young dynamic college coach I would look at. Would really need to hear how he planned to adapt to the NFL.

Josh McDaniels- Failed in Denver because of GMing rather than coaching. He has been humbled and could, like Belichick, have learned enough from his first experience to enhance his chances the second time. A brilliant offensive coach.

My other candidates would be OCs I think deserve a shot- Greg Roman or Tom Clements.

In case people don't know:

David Shaw is the current Stanford coach and has served in the NFL for 10 years ('95 - '05). Only 41 years and is 30-5 already at Stanford, a lot of good experience as a QB Coach for Ravens/Raiders. Seems like a great mind.

Kevin Sumlin is Texas A&M coach and we all know who he has as his QB, Manziel, whom Sumlin made a starter from 3rd string. He's 18-4 at Texas A&M, and while at Univ. Houston, he was 35-17. He's 49 years old and great experience with a mobile QB.

David Shaw was in Oakland with Bruce Allen

I agree with people's idea to find a rising star which is a coordinator that is young and hungry. But we already have one on our staff. Why not Kyle Shanahan? He fits that description well and is the only reason we have won games in the last two seasons. He's going to be a head coach of a NFL team soon enough.

To me, he is the safest candidate.

But like what Gibbs Hog Heaven says, we need to hire a REAL gm that makes these decisions. 

Josh McDaniels- Failed in Denver because of GMing rather than coaching. He has been humbled and could, like Belichick, have learned enough from his first experience to enhance his chances the second time. A brilliant offensive coach.

I like this, with a good GM handling the draft for him, I think he has a decent amount of potential. 

Bruce Allen isn't that guy. At best you may keep him as a numbers guy and link between GM and ownership. But he shouldn't have ANY part in player acquisitions. 

Hail. 

How much is Bruce involved now?  I'd be fine with Morocco or what others have said with the young, hungry type.

I agree with people's idea to find a rising star which is a coordinator that is young and hungry. But we already have one on our staff. Why not Kyle Shanahan? He fits that description well and is the only reason we have won games in the last two seasons. He's going to be a head coach of a NFL team soon enough.

To me, he is the safest candidate.

But like what Gibbs Hog Heaven says, we need to hire a REAL gm that makes these decisions. 

Yeah, I completely agree with a REAL GM and Morocco seems like a great fit, he's already been established here and probably has the respect of the staff and players.

As for Kyle, the only fear would he harbor any hate for letting go of his father, or would he use that as firepower to build his own legacy and trump his father? I don't know to much about their relationship, just a thought that popped into my head.

What about the coach from Clemson, Dabo Swinney, anyone know anything about him, or is he just a college guy?

I know this is a front office question (fwiw, let Bruce be the "President" and pick a GM - hopefully someone from Green Bay or a Morroco Brown or the like) - but I'd like to comment on a couple of the coaching choices that have been brought up:

If Art Briles is brought in that will show you that Robert Griffin, III has too much power and influence over this franchise and I will be taking a knee until Briles' and Griffin are gone.

That would just be too too much for me.

And what's with the "rekindling" what they had at Baylor nonsense?  Briles has been just fine (if not better than) without Robert Griffin as his QB.  I think Baylor is a top 5 team right now...

The rule of thumb has always been:

If you think we are close or we have some pieces to make it work, you bring in a veteran - guys like Gruden or Cowher.

If you want to blow it up (like complete front office overhaul) then you can add some creativity to your HC list - guys like David Shaw or Pep Hamilton

I would be hesitant to add a guy like Kevin Sumlin to that mix until we see what he does without Manziel.  Briles at least has shown us he can win with anyone.  Shaw has shown us he can out-coach anyone and beat anyone.

I know this is a front office question (fwiw, let Bruce be the "President" and pick a GM - hopefully someone from Green Bay or a Morroco Brown or the like) - but I'd like to comment on a couple of the coaching choices that have been brought up:

If Art Briles is brought in that will show you that Robert Griffin, III has too much power and influence over this franchise and I will be taking a knee until Briles' and Griffin are gone.

That would just be too too much for me.

And what's with the "rekindling" what they had at Baylor nonsense?  Briles has been just fine (if not better than) without Robert Griffin as his QB.  I think Baylor is a top 5 team right now...

The rule of thumb has always been:

If you think we are close or we have some pieces to make it work, you bring in a veteran - guys like Gruden or Cowher.

If you want to blow it up (like complete front office overhaul) then you can add some creativity to your HC list - guys like David Shaw or Pep Hamilton

I would be hesitant to add a guy like Kevin Sumlin to that mix until we see what he does without Manziel.  Briles at least has shown us he can win with anyone.  Shaw has shown us he can out-coach anyone and beat anyone.

Recent situations seem to defy your logic though. San Francisco took the next step with an up-and-comer from college. Also, does Andrew Luck wield too much power in Indy? Isn't he playing for his old coach? 

I don't think that a younger or inexperienced NFL coach necessarily means that you think it's a blow-it-up situation. Hell, we hired Shanahan just 4 years ago as a rebuild. By your logic, we would have reached into the college game or found a younger coach. 

Recent situations seem to defy your logic though. San Francisco took the next step with an up-and-comer from college. Also, does Andrew Luck wield too much power in Indy? Isn't he playing for his old coach?

I don't think that a younger or inexperienced NFL coach necessarily means that you think it's a blow-it-up situation. Hell, we hired Shanahan just 4 years ago as a rebuild. By your logic, we would have reached into the college game or found a younger coach.

Lucks former OC is now the current OC in Indy. He is not his coach and that is a huge difference. That being said, I'm on the stick with Shanahan and fire Haslett and Burns bandwagon.

I also don't think San Francisco realized how much talent they had.  I mean, that was a perfect marraige that blossomed quickly.  There's a reason that you picked out the 49ers and left some of the other college coaches-turned-pro off that list ;)

I don't know if Andrew Luck lobbied to get Pep Hamilton out there.  I think after Bruce Arians was hired to be a head coach the organization went out and hired him because they thought it would be best for Andrew Luck.

If the Shanny's are fired after this year and Art Briles is brought in that story writes itself TD.  You and I both know that one.

And after that petulance that was displayed during training camp this year.... let's just say I would need a break.

I would definitely keep Bruce Allen on as president, he has brought a professionalism to this team that was last here when Marty was in charge. I wonder if Scott Pioli would be a good choice as GM. He was the hot guy for years when he was in New England. After he left Bilichek he wasn't as successful in Kansas City but he did bring in lots of good talent. Andy Reid is undefeated with the talent Pioli brought in mostly (except for Alex Smith). His weakness seemed to be hiring a good coach. Haley was a bust and Romeo didn't work out very well either. He helped build super bowl teams in New England and put together a good roster in KC. Maybe he learned his lesson by being humbled by his firing in KC. There was also some sort of issue in KC about spying on the player or wire tapping the locker room or something like that, I'm not sure exactly what the deal was maybe that was Haley and not Pioli, I forget. I am not a real smart guy, and maybe he isn't the right guy to bring in but it does seem that he has an eye for talent except for the Matt Cassell signing.     

I also don't think San Francisco realized how much talent they had.  I mean, that was a perfect marraige that blossomed quickly.  There's a reason that you picked out the 49ers and left some of the other college coaches-turned-pro off that list ;)

I don't know if Andrew Luck lobbied to get Pep Hamilton out there.  I think after Bruce Arians was hired to be a head coach the organization went out and hired him because they thought it would be best for Andrew Luck.

If the Shanny's are fired after this year and Art Briles is brought in that story writes itself TD.  You and I both know that one.

And after that petulance that was displayed during training camp this year.... let's just say I would need a break.

Well, then maybe we agree. If Griffin is actually choosing Briles, I wouldn't be too comfortable with that. But if Bruce Allen and <Hypothetical New GM> interview Briles using the same mentality you described with the Colts/Luck, I'd be fine with that. I don't know how or if we'd ever find out the true mechanics behind it (if Briles is actually hired). 

As for the younger, college coaches...sure, there are examples that didn't work out. There are also plenty of retreads who went to teams to take them the final mile and those didn't work out either (Parcells in Dallas, Norv in San Diego, etc.). Whether or not the inexperienced coaches taking over decent teams will work, it's the latest trend (Trestman in Chicago, Kelly in Philly, etc.). 

Archived