Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Build Your Front Office

PigskinRedskin

Well, then maybe we agree. If Griffin is actually choosing Briles, I wouldn't be too comfortable with that. But if Bruce Allen and <Hypothetical New GM> interview Briles using the same mentality you described with the Colts/Luck, I'd be fine with that. I don't know how or if we'd ever find out the true mechanics behind it (if Briles is actually hired). 

As for the younger, college coaches...sure, there are examples that didn't work out. There are also plenty of retreads who went to teams to take them the final mile and those didn't work out either (Parcells in Dallas, Norv in San Diego, etc.). Whether or not the inexperienced coaches taking over decent teams will work, it's the latest trend (Trestman in Chicago, Kelly in Philly, etc.). 

I would agree that if that process took place and the new GM interviewed Briles and he led the candidates and was hired through that process I would be all about it.

But I think if Briles is mentioned (as he has been for obvious reasons) the story is already written regardless of how Briles is brought in.  Even if the process is righteous the perception is tainted.

And as KDawg already mentioned in another thread, Briles' kid is his passing game coordinator... is there going to be tension with him as well?

I would agree that if that process took place and the new GM interviewed Briles and he led the candidates and was hired through that process I would be all about it.

But I think if Briles is mentioned (as he has been for obvious reasons) the story is already written regardless of how Briles is brought in.  Even if the process is righteous the perception is tainted.

And as KDawg already mentioned in another thread, Briles' kid is his passing game coordinator... is there going to be tension with him as well?

I hope his son's name isn't Kyle. :)

I can only hope we find a great GM to run to this team who has a new aged approach to building a team in the current NFL climate. I can't throw out names, because I can watch these teams they coach and think they are amazing, but what do I know about whether they translate. 

I know this is a front office question (fwiw, let Bruce be the "President" and pick a GM - hopefully someone from Green Bay or a Morroco Brown or the like) - but I'd like to comment on a couple of the coaching choices that have been brought up:

If Art Briles is brought in that will show you that Robert Griffin, III has too much power and influence over this franchise and I will be taking a knee until Briles' and Griffin are gone.

That would just be too too much for me.

And what's with the "rekindling" what they had at Baylor nonsense?  Briles has been just fine (if not better than) without Robert Griffin as his QB.  I think Baylor is a top 5 team right now...

Ah very good point, didn't really even think that deeply into it until I read your post. It would be quite nerve-racking to know that RG3 had enough push to change the entire coaching staff, albeit based upon his choosing and not from the actual office.

What if we went with a path such as keeping Bruce as the GM, bring in a veteran as a coach who's very mindful on the discipline and intricacies of the game with a sound mind on defense.

Then we can bring in some young and fresh coordinators for the offense, defense and special teams and let them have it. It seems like Shanahan is almost afraid to pull any triggers (such as cutting Meriweather after constant bad hits, or benching RG3 <-- just vague examples).

If we had a no-bs taking coach focused on the fundamentals and building a TEAM and letting some younger minds (maybe from college, maybe from whose available) meld a strong playbook and utilize our players more correctly, such as Orakpo, Kerrigan, Helu, Reed, RG3, etc.

Ah very good point, didn't really even think that deeply into it until I read your post. It would be quite nerve-racking to know that RG3 had enough push to change the entire coaching staff, albeit based upon his choosing and not from the actual office.

What if we went with a path such as keeping Bruce as the GM, bring in a veteran as a coach who's very mindful on the discipline and intricacies of the game with a sound mind on defense.

Then we can bring in some young and fresh coordinators for the offense, defense and special teams and let them have it. It seems like Shanahan is almost afraid to pull any triggers (such as cutting Meriweather after constant bad hits, or benching RG3 <-- just vague examples).

If we had a no-bs taking coach focused on the fundamentals and building a TEAM and letting some younger minds (maybe from college, maybe from whose available) meld a strong playbook and utilize our players more correctly, such as Orakpo, Kerrigan, Helu, Reed, RG3, etc.

There's a million different scenarios... honestly I want to keep Mike around but I'm not sure the players want that - I've been kind of mixed about that this past week, but if Mike still has the room I would keep him, if not, he needs to go..  If Mike goes/we get rid of Mike = I'd be happy with either David Shaw or Chuckie.  Either or. 

I would also like to add that Kevin Sumlin has had his fill with diva QBs at A&M this year with Manziel.  Don't forget he had to bench Manziel earlier this season and he's had to take heat/give heat in the media.  Granted he's handled it with grace and class and continued to have his team playing good football, but I don't see him rushing into a situation where the QB runs the show so quickly.

My coaching wish list.

1. Darrell Bevel(OC Seattle Seahawks,

2. Tony Dungy

3. John Gruden

4. Josh McDaniels

5. Mike Tomlin.( He is done in Pittsburgh)

Switch back to a 4-3 and beg Greg Williams to come back and run the D. (I know he hates Snyder but money talks)

Hire the top scout from the Pats or Broncos and make them the GM.

"Championship"

I also don't think San Francisco realized how much talent they had.  I mean, that was a perfect marraige that blossomed quickly.  There's a reason that you picked out the 49ers and left some of the other college coaches-turned-pro off that list ;)

I don't know if Andrew Luck lobbied to get Pep Hamilton out there.  I think after Bruce Arians was hired to be a head coach the organization went out and hired him because they thought it would be best for Andrew Luck.

If the Shanny's are fired after this year and Art Briles is brought in that story writes itself TD.  You and I both know that one.

And after that petulance that was displayed during training camp this year.... let's just say I would need a break.

There are exceptions to this but to me college coaches like Harbaugh who won without elite recruiting classes are the ones who can translate better to the NFL than your glorified used car salesmen like Saban and Spurrier who are very good at charming and manipulating 18 year olds and end up with better talent than everyone else.

DC Our very own Todd Bowles

HC Gruden

OC Mark Trestman 2.I think Kyle can handle it if he can learn to control his desire to sometimes get away with whats working.

ST any HS coach should be better, but I like Dave Toub most

GM Our very own Mark Murphy. 2.Polian

HTTR

If you want Gruden just keep Shannahan their results will be just about the same.

It's hilarious I was on the 49ers message board and they want Roman their offensive coordinator fired because they feel he is holding their offense back and we want him hired because we feel kyle is holding us back.

hahaha 

49er fan bashing kaep after the loss, geeze and they are 6-3 would hate to see what would happen if they were 3-6 hahaha 

This guy is such a joke.

~ Can't read a defense
~ Stares down 1 WR.
~ One read and done. Run for it and put your head down. Ignore all other parts of the field.
~ Bad mechanics.
~ Inaccurate throws.
~ Zero pocket presence. Gets jittery and happy feet. Wants to leave instead of letting the play develop.
~ Needs perfect WR's and TE's to make any plays.
~ Doesn't keep his poise when things are going bad.

These are really bad qualities for a QB. They certainly aren't qualities of a franchise QB.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/172666-kaepernick-thread-2013-14-season/page856/#Kw4dgUsFIR2rXGUI.99

There are exceptions to this but to me college coaches like Harbaugh who won without elite recruiting classes are the ones who can translate better to the NFL than your glorified used car salesmen like Saban and Spurrier who are very good at charming and manipulating 18 year olds and end up with better talent than everyone else.

If you want Gruden just keep Shannahan their results will be just about the same.

I didn't realize Kyle was the offspring of Gruden.

I am really intrigued by uniting Art Briles with RG3. I rather have Art be the OC though. The head coach being a great game manager, and someone that will eliminate a lot of the penalties. 

totally agree.  I would always prefer a tactician.

I think Carroll is the only one of the top of my head who was pretty good at both.  I know there are more, but he comes to mind immediately.

Morocco Brown for GM, move Kyle to HC (he knows their needs to be a DC change considering he's had his offense with double digit leads in 3 straight games only to have them blown).  I think he would look for a young innovative DC that can show a lot of different looks- just not sure who that is?

I didn't realize Kyle was the offspring of Gruden.

I am really intrigued by uniting Art Briles with RG3. I rather have Art be the OC though. The head coach being a great game manager, and someone that will eliminate a lot of the penalties. 

It has nothing to do with Kyle he's another retread ex-superbowl winner once considered a genius that will come in here and think his credentials and X/O's will do the coaching for him, as opposed to a young coordinator who will come in and coach like his career depended on it. If you don't believe me all you have to do is look at who's coaching most of the successful teams in the NFL at the moment. Coughlin and Bellicheck are exceptions but they had that same chip on their shoulder when they got to their respective teams, same with Andy Reid.

I want Fred Smoot as GM. Like he said a few years ago, "You gotta get FATBOYS." I firmly believe you build a winning team in today's NFL from the inside out, and add a franchise QB. This seems to have worked for New England, NY Giants, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and I'd argue that the Bengals are that franchise QB away from being an upper echelon team.

Freddie and the Fatboys! I love it!

totally agree.  I would always prefer a tactician.

I think Carroll is the only one of the top of my head who was pretty good at both.  I know there are more, but he comes to mind immediately.

I was thinking Carroll and Jimmy Johnson. I think their secret other than being great coaches football wise is that their personality naturally made them good recruiters and they geniunly cared about the kids. At the NFL level grown men can tell the difference between playing for a guy like that and playing for a con man chicken hawk like Saban.

Agree on that.  Alabama recruits itself at this point.  Not only are his front line players better than everyone else.  So are the backups. 

Morocco Brown for GM, move Kyle to HC (he knows their needs to be a DC change considering he's had his offense with double digit leads in 3 straight games only to have them blown).  I think he would look for a young innovative DC that can show a lot of different looks- just not sure who that is?

Him and Raheem have been boys for years, though.  Getting drunk together in Tampa while Gruden was still the head coach, etc.

That's part of the problem of keeping any one of these guys.  I think it's all or nothing unless you keep Mike.  If you keep Mike I think you get a new DC and possibly a new teams coordinator.

Agree on that.  Alabama recruits itself at this point.  Not only are his front line players better than everyone else.  So are the backups. 

Yeah, it's pretty easy watching Alabama, to tell that they don't do anything special.  They are just better than you.  Very simple and basic gameplans.

Him and Raheem have been boys for years, though.  Getting drunk together in Tampa while Gruden was still the head coach, etc.

That's part of the problem of keeping any one of these guys.  I think it's all or nothing unless you keep Mike.  If you keep Mike I think you get a new DC and possibly a new teams coordinator.

Yeah, it's pretty easy watching Alabama, to tell that they don't do anything special.  They are just better than you.  Very simple and basic gameplans.

I keep reading that Kirby Smart is something of a savant, but that will remain speculation until he coaches somewhere else or Saban finally gets busted and the talent gap is reduced.

I keep reading that Kirby Smart is something of a savant, but that will remain speculation until he coaches somewhere else or Saban finally gets busted and the talent gap is reduced.

My cousin works intimately with his former secondary coach at Florida State (don't know his name, but he's the new d-coordinator) but even FSU runs very vanilla stuff on defense.  As you saw from this past year's draft, FSU is a talented football program and they are only getting better.

Very basic stuff these guys run, and why not?  When your "X" always beats the "O" it's easy.

Now, guys like Malzahn (Auburn) or Pederson (Boise State) are totally different.  Even Shaw and friends at Stanford - when they beat Oregon - they know that offense is absolutely rediculous and they have to milk the clock and run the ball.  First downs are imparative. 

It would just be nice to see coaches that don't out think themselves or feel the need to prove their "genius" to everyone.  That Darrell Young TD in overtime was a turning point for me with Kyle, and I actually think Kyle called a pretty good game against the Vikings.

My cousin works intimately with his former secondary coach at Florida State (don't know his name, but he's the new d-coordinator) but even FSU runs very vanilla stuff on defense.  As you saw from this past year's draft, FSU is a talented football program and they are only getting better.

Very basic stuff these guys run, and why not?  When your "X" always beats the "O" it's easy.

Now, guys like Malzahn (Auburn) or Pederson (Boise State) are totally different.  Even Shaw and friends at Stanford - when they beat Oregon - they know that offense is absolutely rediculous and they have to milk the clock and run the ball.  First downs are imparative. 

It would just be nice to see coaches that don't out think themselves or feel the need to prove their "genius" to everyone.  That Darrell Young TD in overtime was a turning point for me with Kyle, and I actually think Kyle called a pretty good game against the Vikings.

I completely agree that Kyle has been pretty decent as of late, just some bad execution on the field. Yeah, there's some suspect play-calling here and there, but how much do we really know if there was an available audible that wasn't used, etc.

It can be difficult to gauge a college coach from the big schools of the SEC and so forth due to the top players from HS can choose the school due to the constant ability to go to bowl games. If you constantly get the best possible players, play calling becomes easier, just out muscle them.

I don't know college coaches all to well, but looking over Chris Petersen (Boise St) has a strong track record and helped them into a strong force.

I think our HC needs to be stern and strict, game mechanic minded and desire to be a champion. Sometimes I feel as though Shanahan is a little lethargic and never hear and see from him. Our coordinators should be fresh and Kyle could really build a strong gameplan given the defense can breakdown the offense and get the opponents defense back on the field and tired. 

Archived