Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking Espn: Vick Named Eagles Starter

ballin2041

Also, lets not forget, while Chip Kelly's offense will from time to time execute some nice looking plays, and potentially be a juggernaut in a couple of seasons,  it is still year 1 of a brand new offense which requires a quick pace and great timing.

This doesn't bode well for an entire team being in year 1 of that kind of offense.  I already can see the potential for a lot of false starts because the team is trying to run up to the line over and over and over to get plays off quickly. 

Also, that first month of the season is often when players are still knocking off rust and getting back into NFL shape.  That Eagles O-line could easily start gassing due to the pace and you start seeing excessive holding penalties because of it.

Vick is no RGIII under the pressure of a blitz, he gets frantic and careless with the ball.

So who's ya' safety's. (Presuming Merriweather isn't fit to go and you can't presume anything else with him.).

Doughty and ..... Pugh?

Hail. 

Meriweather will be ready to go... along with Doughty... Some rookies may see action like Amerson, especially, and possibly Rambo on a few downs.

But I'm counting on BMeri and Doughty.

Meriweather will be ready to go... along with Doughty... Some rookies may see action like Amerson, especially, and possibly Rambo on a few downs.

But I'm counting on BMeri and Doughty.

Wish I shared your confidence in Merriweather (being as the whole back end depends on his health), but I just can't. 

Dude can barely put together a practice session. Never mind a game. 

Hail. 

Definitely has the makings of a trap game. RGIII playing in his first live-action snaps of the year -- would it surprise anyone if it took a few series to find a rhythm?

re: above -- we won't be able to cycle in pass-rushers if they're doing the hurry up on every play. The consistent hurry-up could be the best new antidote to a defense's pass rush since last year's zone-read introduction. We just don't know yet.

With McCoy, Vick and Jackson, there's a ton of potential for big plays at any point of the game, especially if we're trotting out Rambo, or Doughty, or... well, any safety we have basically.

I do like that the more snaps you give Vick, the more likely he is to turn the ball over. But we also can't count out the return of Sensational Vick.

If the Eagles run more plays than we do in the 1st and 2nd halves, that could equate to an extra possession each half. If this happens, that could be the difference, even if we play more consistently solid per-possession.

And of course, they've got the benefit of uncertainty. Jim Zorn (Zorn!) used this with Jason Campbell (Campbell!) and a string of mediocre offensive players to catapult the team to a winning early-season record. This has the makings for an 'anything could happen' type game.

Personally, I like the hype the Eagles/Chip Kelly are getting. And no way is this a "trap" game for us.  First of all, assuming RGIII plays, he has been chomping at the bit to show he is ready and able to be playing so he is going to go out and be hungry to have a spectacular game in front of the home crowd to open up the season.

Also, this is a primetime division game to OPEN THE SEASON, I don't think teams ever look past opening week if not for the mere fact that it is opening week for crying out loud.

Expecting the Eagles offense to instantly become a force in a brand new offense, from the get-go is a stretch.  Even if their offense shows a few signs of things to come, there is still a ton to overcome learning a new offense, especially one that requires everyone to be on the same page with timing and reading hand signals etc etc.....there are bound to be a lot of mistakes being made, especially if they go down by a score or two and are trying to press even more to get back into the game.

All it is going to take is a turnover or two from Vick before Chip will be forced to slow things down anyway.  Their hurry up offense will be a hurry up and give it back to the 'Skins offense.  This isn't just Vick running a new offense, it is the entire team coverting on offense and defense, any given play can be ruined by one or two guys out of the 11 on the field screwing up or missing an assignment.

ESPN is gonna hype this up so much, Stephen A. Smith's head may explode.

Anybody watch any film on the Eagles new offense in per-season with Vick? Is it as good as everyone says it is?

Vick has looked razor sharp as has McCoy

Their offense is really dangerous

But their Defense is PUTRID. I mean, jeez, Alfred can legit go for 200+ IMO.

I think it'll be a bit of a shootout. Also, I'm not worried about Vick as much as I'm worried about McCoy abusing us in the second level. He literally juked the Panthers D to the ground in their last game

ESPN is gonna hype this up so much, Stephen A. Smith's head may explode.

Anybody watch any film on the Eagles new offense in per-season with Vick? Is it as good as everyone says it is?

had an eagles fan at work bragging about the fact the Philly had 70+ offensive plays in the first preseason game...well..so did we. Game On!

If it were the Pats running a no-huddle fast paced type of offense and we were against them, i'd worry.

But, this is Philly; AND, Vick isn't exactly an accurate passer, historically speaking.  He will have to be darn near perfect to run that offense, otherwise its nothing more than a quick 3-and-out, and personally I don't think he could ever do that. Not saying he's not a great athlete, but he's certainly not a high accuracy type QB.

The biggest challenge is our defensive containment; just don't give him free runs outside; discipline in containment, and its game over for the Eagles.

MNF could very well be the beginning of the end for Vick, and I feel a little bad about that...N O T !

SIC

Oooh, I'm scurred!  Man, everyone keep thinking that damn MNF game.  Big deal, so he had one "career" game against us.  We've handled him since then.  If anything, THEY should be afraid of RG3.  They didn't have a damn answer for him last year and he's chomping at the bit to get in a game.

Actually, we haven't "handled" Vick at all since that game.  He beat us twice in 2011, including another beatdown of 34-10.  Last year, we played Foles twice.  This team has never been good at playing Vick.  

Vick has looked razor sharp as has McCoy

Their offense is really dangerous

But their Defense is PUTRID. I mean, jeez, Alfred can legit go for 200+ IMO.

I think it'll be a bit of a shootout. Also, I'm not worried about Vick as much as I'm worried about McCoy abusing us in the second level. He literally juked the Panthers D to the ground in their last game

Rambo's ankles already broke just from reading that. 

Actually, we haven't "handled" Vick at all since that game.  He beat us twice in 2011, including another beatdown of 34-10.  Last year, we played Foles twice.  This team has never been good at playing Vick.  

We injured him that one game on the goaline though

Don't know if "handled" is the right word but we have done a lot better job containing Vick since the Monday Night Massacre. The first time we faced Vick in 2011 he was 18/31 237yards 1td 1int and sacked twice. Final score 20 - 13.  That includes a Bad Rex day and John Beck appearance. 

The second game in 2011(season) Vick was more successful .. 24/39 332yards 3td 1int sacked twice again. Yes, the final score was 34-10 but it didn't feel like a beat-down.  Our offense could not get anything going in the passing game and it looked like the D finally wore down with about 6 minutes left in the game and Philly went on to score 21 in the 4th.

Of course that is all in the past.  Vick and Mccoy will probably have their way with us on a few plays, but at the same time Philly has had trouble with RG3 and our run game so it should make for an interesting game.

New offense, new ideas, same recipe to beat Vick. Make him beat you with his arm not his feet. 

Glad several people have pointed this out also - this is a new offense for everyone on the team. Playing hurry up without being on the same page can easily lead to lots of miscues, and with a turnover prone QB... we could be getting the ball back quickly on MNF.

We haven't handled Vick well in the past probably because those teams weren't good at handling ANYONE?

The only QB we seem to always have decent success against is Eli Manning and it's because he is a statue so it usually helped the mediocre pass rush, and that's not to say he always has statistically bad games against us, but it seems like our defense finds ways to make plays against him and get in his head.  He often has that "oh no....WHY?" look on his face during his battles with the 'Skins a disproportinate amount of time.

Romo sits to pee, outside of the finale last season, seems to have decent to good games against us even in losses.  Of course with Romo sits to pee, all the stats in the world are meaningless because he finds ways to throw the game away anyway.

This is the first time Vick will be facing a solid 'Skins team, with a pass rush that can actually get after him.  Vick's weakness has always been reading defense and making progressions.  If the pass rush can force him to have to move around and not go to his #1 option they will have success against him.

I don't really care what Vick did against a 6-10, or 5-11 'Skins team. That is pretty much meaningless in 2013.

Mike Vick is the evidence I present when debating people about RGIII's life expectancy in the NFL. Yes, Robert may have to deal with a missed game or two per season for his whole career, but that doesn't mean that he'll be scrambling from Death a'la Final Destination.

Vick has been in the league since 2001. Yes, two of those years were in Club Fed, but he stayed in shape and bounced right back. I will never forget the Monday Night Masssacre nor ever take Vick lightly. As a player he has my respect and as a human being... well... he's kept his nose about as clean as one could ask since the Bad News Kennel disgrace.

When you look at it that way, as long as RGIII doesn't have a catastrophic injury, he'll be here for awhile....plus he has a better gun.

I don't think Vick has a major problem reading defense.  If you don't force him to make mistakes then he'll kill you.  Getting actual sacks on him aren't AS important as containing him in the pocket, making him feel pressure, and hitting him.  You do that and he'll turn the ball over.

Vick typically doesn't go through his progressions, we really need pressure to force him to get rid of the ball. Pressure with hopefully not everyone being on the same page with the pace of their offense (running an out instead of an in) and the turnovers will come. We need our #1 rushing attack to control the clock coupled with some 3 and outs and we will torch their defense. I'm more worried about facing the eagles the 2nd game. If we play our game we should win with comfort.

Archived