Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panther Fans - Why So Much Hate Towards Us

Dont Taze Me Bro

Anyone know?  I live in Charlotte area and I've never understood all the hate from Panther fans.  Most in person are harmless and its all in jest for the most part.  I've seen very few fights at the games I've attended (not Skins games). 

I'm more talking about their fan forum boards.  Now I get that its fan operated and not owned by the team, like ours is.  And maybe that's why. What led me to post on there was the current situation with Fox 18 being gone in Charlotte.

WCCB, dropped its affiliation with Fox and is now just WCCB Charlotte 18.  I read that they will only get the Panther preseason games and would be losing the NFL games and NASCAR races due to the switch.

So, knowing that when the Panthers aren't playing at 1pm, here in Charlotte, we take the local market and the Skins games are shown, plus, I usually watch the double header game at 4pm.  I couldnt find it anywhere in an internet search, so I posted on one of their boards asking if anyone knew if another station would be carrying the games/double header and if not, would blackout rules still apply since there was no longer a fox affiliate station in Charlotte and we could catch both games on NFL Sunday Ticket.

The ****ing response I got was about the most classless Ive ever read, to the likeness of Philly/Cowboy fans on their boards.  Its fine, Im a big boy and stooped to their level a time or two in some of my responses.  But I kept asking them, why all the hate?  They also said beating us was equal to beating NO, ATL, TB, to which I responded that it makes no sense considering we dont really give a **** about the Panthers much less consider them a rival.

Anyone know why they are such assholes?

Yeah, that used to be pure Skins country, I imagine that there are quite a few arguments between those who remained Skins fans and those who became Panthers fans. Nice to know that they care so much about beating us, though, because we really don't give a **** about them. :lol:

(By the way, when is the OLS coming back? I need it. Badly.)

It's pretty simple, man. This was Redskins country long before the Panthers came along. And they resent the hell out of the fact that a LOT of us never switched over to the Panthers. They've also only been to the playoffs 4 times in their entire existence. All their fans have ever known is losing.

They also despise us because it's more or less an extra home game for us every time we play there. And despite them beating us the last few times, I think we still own a 7-4 record against them all time. We have at least have experienced winning SBs, etc.

What's really funny is that 3 of our preseason games are supposed to be shown in the Charlotte market this year lol. I've already rubbed that in their faces a few times haha. I constantly remind a few of their fans that their great QB has never even led them to a .500 record.

I will say this, though, their fans have respect for RG3. Morris, too. They never say anything bad about either of those guys. Then again, there really isn't anything bad they could say about them.

And Dont Taze Me Bro, are you sure their games aren't going to be shown? I haven't heard anything about that. I figure if they aren't going to be shown on WCCB, then they will be on FOX 46.

Why do Ravens fans hate the Redskins? Why do Nationals fans seem to hate the Orioles?

I think it is an inferiority complex. New team so the fans feel they need to separate themselves from the old team to establish their own as legitimate. That and a bunch of them abandoned the old team and probably are hating on the old team to hide that fact. Just a guess. When you are a storied franchise with lots of tradition you don't need to resort to trying to manufacture rivalries.

The only team in the NFL to never have a back to back winning record (I believe).

They hate all other teams.

The Redskins rivalry...that's on them. I know plenty of Redskins fans here that support them (The Panthers) when they play, but root against them at times because of some of the fans. Key word : some.

I root for them to win, and I don't care either way. It's good for the city, I especially root for them to help the Redskins. When they lose...I am indifferent.

I wonder how much they kick themselves over that botched kickoff in Superbowl 38 That was their one shot. They played their assess off in that game.

"The Cardiac Cats"

That's all I think of when I think of the Panthers. I actually thought they had another shot in '08, but Jake Delhomme self destructed against AZ and never recovered. If that was the only history my team had I'd hate evryone too.

Why do Ravens fans hate the Redskins? Why do Nationals fans seem to hate the Orioles?

I think it is an inferiority complex. New team so the fans feel they need to separate themselves from the old team to establish their own as legitimate. That and a bunch of them abandoned the old team and probably are hating on the old team to hide that fact. Just a guess. When you are a storied franchise with lots of tradition you don't need to resort to trying to manufacture rivalries.

I don't think Nats fans generally hate the Os. Its more of a dislike for Angelos. Otherwise, its an indifference.

Anyway, in OBX this summer there were a TON of Skins fans....some Steeler fans....I saw one Ravens fan. Over a week, not a single piece of Panthers gear. 

I couldnt find it anywhere in an internet search, so I posted on one of their boards asking if anyone knew if another station would be carrying the games/double header and if not, would blackout rules still apply since there was no longer a fox affiliate station in Charlotte and we could catch both games on NFL Sunday Ticket.

As Bubble Screen mentioned, there is a new Fox affiliate in Charlotte, WJZY Fox 46. The games will be shown on that channel. It was just an affiliate switch.

Although they do have an awful website: http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/

. They've also only been to the playoffs 4 times in their entire existence. All their fans have ever known is losing.

How many playoff appearances do we have in the same time frame? Super Bowl appearances?
About the same number of playoff appearances, and no SB appearances. But if you had read the rest of my post, you would have saw where I said we at least have experienced the success of winning the ultimate prize. They have only been to the SB once in their history. I think they bought into their owner's bold prediction, that they would win a SB within their first 10 years. Like I said, all their fans have ever known is losing.

. They've also only been to the playoffs 4 times in their entire existence. All their fans have ever known is losing.

How many playoff appearances do we have in the same time frame? Super Bowl appearances?
About the same number of playoff appearances, and no SB appearances. But if you had read the rest of my post, you would have saw where I said we at least have experienced the success of winning the ultimate prize. They have only been to the SB once in their history. I think they bought into their owner's bold prediction, that they would win a SB within their first 10 years. Like I said, all their fans have ever known is losing.

Yes, we did experience it.....if you are 25 or over

Most of NC's Panther fans are under age 30 and in Charlotte.  The ones over 30 were probably Redskin fans in the past. Panther fans feel very threatened by the Redskins because NC was always Redskins country.  They hate that they still live under the Redskins shadow. They hate that there are more Redskins fans than Panther fans in their stadium when the Redskins come to town. It's kind of similar with Raven fans.  Raven and Panther fans can't stand the fact that the Redskins are still more cherished in territories that are in close proximity to them. I read somewhere that a Charlotte station is actually going to broadcast Redskins preseason games this year. 

Honestly, I wish the Panthers would move to LA.  It sucks that NC no longer gets the Redskins every week on TV like we used to. 

Most of NC's Panther fans are under age 30 and in Charlotte. The ones over 30 were probably Redskin fans in the past. Panther fans feel very threatened by the Redskins because NC was always Redskins country. They hate that they still live under the Redskins shadow. They hate that there are more Redskins fans than Panther fans in their stadium when the Redskins come to town. It's kind of similar with Raven fans. Raven and Panther fans can't stand the fact that the Redskins are still more cherished in territories that are in close proximity to them. I read somewhere that a Charlotte station is actually going to broadcast Redskins preseason games this year.

Honestly, I wish the Panthers would move to LA. It sucks that NC no longer gets the Redskins every week on TV like we used to.

I work for a large company here in NC. So obviously I deal with more than my fair share of Panther fans. A lot of people keep mentioning this theory that most of them were Redskin fans that converted to Panther fans. From my experience I can tell you that this isn't true. Most of them are former Dallas fans. Some Steeler. Very few Redskin. Of course there are several fans I encounter daily who converted to the Panthers when they got a team, yet still call themselves Redskins fans as well. I can't even take people like that seriously. Makes zero sense to root for both teams, especially when they are both in the NFC. You are either with us, or against us.

And yeah, they are showing 3 of our preseason games here. I mentioned that in my first post.

Yes, we did experience it.....if you are 25 or over
Yeah, well, most of the Panther fans I come in contact with are over 40. So like I said, all they've ever known is losing. They are jealous of fans of any team that has won before.

I would also add that most of these Panther fans are Bobcat fans, too. All this market has ever experienced is losing, save for a few good seasons here and there by the Hornets and Panthers.

I'm not going to quote everyone I agree with, because that would be just about ever post so far. The The fans have such an inferiority complex. Most of them had not team one year, had one the next year and didn't even know it, then the following year they were in the NFC championship. So many jumped off the Redskins bandwagon on to the Panthers thinking it would always be like that. Well, they sucked for the next 7 years to the point where they had no fans. Only diehards which made up about 200 people. Then when they got good again, fans came out of the woodwork. It was the hip thing to be a Panthers fan. 90% of their fans are bandwagon fans who know very little about football. The diehards that post on message boards hate the fact that the Redskins have such a large fan base that it still dominates their area. They have trouble selling out without other teams fans showing up, which burns them even more.

I personally grew disdain for the Panther when they went to the NFC championship in 97. It was my sophmore year in college and the bandwagon was filling up. I was told by several people I HAD to root for the Panthers. I told them I was a Redskins fan and they are all I root for. People kept insisting like I was going to be kicked out of the state if I didn't root for them. It turned me from being indifferent towards them to despising them and their fans. I know very few of their fans I respect. I know even less knowlegable fans. So if Panthers fans hate the Redskins, that's fine. The feeling is mutual. I only root for them when they are playing a team from the NFC East and then only if it matters (except against dallas, I'll never root for them).

The next time a Panthers fan brags about beating the Redskins, just explain that the Redskins were so ashamed after losing to such a sorry team, that it caused them to refocus and go on that great run to the NFC East crown.

I also find if insanely funny that most of the local sports talk host on 610 AM, are guys who hosts these shows, but are not born and bread Charlotteans. Just off the top of my head, Chris McClain in the morning is from Baltimore, Taylor Zsarzar and Marc James are Raider/Dolphins fans (can't remember who likes who) and most of them are forced into being Panthers fans to do their radio shows.  I mean, I'd love a career in broadcasting, but I couldn't go to Arizona and do local talk radio for the Cardinals. 

I also find if insanely funny that most of the local sports talk host on 610 AM, are guys who hosts these shows, but are not born and bread Charlotteans. Just off the top of my head, Chris McClain in the morning is from Baltimore, Taylor Zsarzar and Marc James are Raider/Dolphins fans (can't remember who likes who) and most of them are forced into being Panthers fans to do their radio shows. I mean, I'd love a career in broadcasting, but I couldn't go to Arizona and do local talk radio for the Cardinals.

But those guys are more than happy to discuss the Panthers to keep their jobs. One of the biggest complaints about Mark Packer when he was on in Charlotte was that he didn't talk enough about the Panthers.

Redskin4ever: I agree with most of what you said, except for the part about most of their fans being former Redskins fans. That hasn't been my experience at all.

I'll also add that the smartest thing their owner ever did was having PSLs. If he hadn't gone in that direction, I'm not sure that there wouldn't be plans for them to be moving to LA soon. But the Panthers and the city of Charlotte recently just signed a deal that will keep them here for at least the next decade.

The fans here aren't very supportive of this team at all. They never wear their gear unless they are winning. There were Panther fans everywhere during the years they were successful. But nowhere to be found now.

It's going to get REALLY bad around here when Cam doesn't re-sign with them. And unless they turn things around soon, I dont see him doing so. A lot of their fans seem to have this notion that he's going to automatically re-up with them. I don't think so. Another losing season and I think he bolts. I think this is Cutlers final year of his contract. I could easily see a scenario where the Bears miss the playoffs and they don't bring him back. There will probably be several teams that could be looking to replace their QB soon. Then again, im not sure if this will be Cam's last year of his contract or next. At any rate, if they don't start winning soon, he definitely won't stay there. I'm convinced of that.

I also find if insanely funny that most of the local sports talk host on 610 AM, are guys who hosts these shows, but are not born and bread Charlotteans. Just off the top of my head, Chris McClain in the morning is from Baltimore, Taylor Zsarzar and Marc James are Raider/Dolphins fans (can't remember who likes who) and most of them are forced into being Panthers fans to do their radio shows. I mean, I'd love a career in broadcasting, but I couldn't go to Arizona and do local talk radio for the Cardinals.

But those guys are more than happy to discuss the Panthers to keep their jobs. One of the biggest complaints about Mark Packer when he was on in Charlotte was that he didn't talk enough about the Panthers.
He was mainly a college football guy. He knew college sports well. He probably didn't talk more about the Panthers because he just wasn't all that knowledgeable about the NFL. Zarzour and Marc James are much better hosts.

I think the reason you get confused is because James likes the Raiders and Hurricanes and Taylor likes Alabama and the Dolphins. Each guy likes a team in Miami. James also roots for the Mets and Taylor the Red Sox. It can be hard to keep up with if you don't listen to them often.

Btw, do any of you guys remember Stanley from Sacramento that used to call in the show? He was the Cowboys and Miami Hurricanes fan? Lmao. That guy was so stupid that he was funny.

I think the reason you get confused is because James likes the Raiders and Hurricanes and Taylor likes Alabama and the Dolphins. Each guy likes a team in Miami. James also roots for the Mets and Taylor the Red Sox. It can be hard to keep up with if you don't listen to them often.

Btw, do any of you guys remember Stanley from Sacramento that used to call in the show? He was the Cowboys and Miami Hurricanes fan? Lmao. That guy was so stupid that he was funny.

I listen to them practically every day on my way home.  I think the baseball is the only thing I can remember.

So, James- Raider, Canes and Mets

Taylor- Dolphins, TIde and Red Sox 

Doesn't Marc like Arkansas in basketball also?

I like L-Train.  He's always drunk or high.

I listen to them practically every day on my way home. I think the baseball is the only thing I can remember.

So, James- Raider, Canes and Mets

Taylor- Dolphins, TIde and Red Sox

Doesn't Marc like Arkansas in basketball also?

I like L-Train. He's always drunk or high.

Yeah, you got it now. And yes, James is a huge Razorbacks fan in basketball. I think he is an alum of Miami though. Or he may have went to both Arkansas and Miami. But I know he only likes the Canes in football and the Razorbacks in basketball.

Archived