Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alabama's new footbal facility

lavar1156

How easy is recruiting for them right now? Offer scholarships to the top 25 or so HS players every year, invite them to come tour the facilities and gaze upon the championship trophies, and have every single one of them commit. Saban has built an empire down there.

Agreed, NFL teams don't need facilities like that. 

Oregon has another facility too which is pretty expensive. Welcome to the new world of college sports. Kentucky also built a huge dorm just for basketball players. 

Not true...regular students live there as well. 

It is so easy to despise Alabama nowadays. There is absolutely nothing charismatic about their program. That last 30 seconds with Darth Saban was the perfect cap to that video

Correction, I'm pretty sure this applies to SEC football in general. Additionally the opulence of this one facility probably only scratches the surface as it relates to the under the table $$$ that gets thrown around. Yet another reason I just can't get into NCAA football much.

Oregon has another facility too which is pretty expensive. Welcome to the new world of college sports. Kentucky also built a huge dorm just for basketball players. 

Technically, yes, but it's largely dominated by basketball players 

You'd have to be a pretty lucky student to live there

Technically, yes, but it's largely dominated by basketball players 

You'd have to be a pretty lucky student to live there

It's a 50/50 split as far as the b-ball players/non-athletes who live there. 

Really, I thought it was largely basketball players. Oh well 

I see...loophole

You’re probably wondering if this is legal based on the NCAA’s standards, and it is. As The Dagger states, student-athlete living quarters must be populated with at least 50% of non-athletes in order to be permissible. That means there are some extremely lucky students who get to live that privileged baller life.

Could also blame the TV networks. Rights deals and **** like that ruined the Big 12. Schools get massive payouts now from conferences, teams get poached from one to another based on money...Maryland basically left the ACC because they were broke  :lol:

Cold tubs are for REAL men. 

:( They didn't show the private rooms where the football groupies come to destress their favorite player. As Nick said, one-stop shop. They don't have to leave for ANYTHING.

Including classes.  Do they still have classes down there at Alabama, or were those eliminated because they were a useless distraction from football? 

Similar to this Calipari built the Taj Mahal of baskeball facilities at Kentucky...actually it looks like they used the same builder/architect as the two facilities are eerily similar in build design.  Goes to show just how much money is in big time college sports.

Could also blame the TV networks. Rights deals and **** like that ruined the Big 12. Schools get massive payouts now from conferences, teams get poached from one to another based on money...Maryland basically left the ACC because they were broke  :lol:

But if people aren't watching then there's no big TV contracts. The funny thing is that a lot of people seem to complain about corrupt schools, corrupt athletes, etc but they still tune in. Is it THAT awesome? Is any sport THAT awesome?

Why do people want these athletes to get paid?  Hell, they practically live in a 5 star resort. 

And where's the Katherine Webb wing? Alabama fail.

The thing is that a lot of players don't have any money for personal expenses: clothes, electronics, etc. They're not allowed to have jobs either.

Why do people want these athletes to get paid? Hell, they practically live in a 5 star resort.

The thing is that a lot of players don't have any money for personal expenses: clothes, electronics, etc. They're not allowed to have jobs either.

My quote was more of a joke, but without sidetracking this into a pay or not debate, I find it funny that when this is brought up, "clothes or electronics" get brought up. Who buys that stuff every month? My wife and I combined make nearly 100K and I don't go out clothes or electronics shopping every month. If you had have said "personal hygene or fun money for going out" I'd agree with you. Yet almost all of them are sporting hundreds of dollars with of ink on their arms along with jewelry and the latest fashion in baseball hats.

Clothes and electronics is a bit of a silly argument. Athletes wear the gear provided by Nike 90% of the time on campus—mainly because it identifies them as "athlete". So, if they spend a few hundred a semester... okay, they can have a $500 stipdent. Electronics, sure... okay Console and games can be in that "training facility". iPods/phones? You need one every two years. 

Beer money in a college town? Sure, you get $20/night. Okay, you can have a $2,000 alcohol budget per year. 

$5,000 seems like a reasonable amount per year but only big programs can afford that. Most of FBS operates at break-even.

• 2 weeks later...

It is so easy to despise Alabama nowadays. There is absolutely nothing charismatic about their program. That last 30 seconds with Darth Saban was the perfect cap to that video.

It is so easy to despise Alabama nowadays. There is absolutely nothing charismatic about their program. That last 30 seconds with Darth Saban was the perfect cap to that video.

You obviously don't live here. :)

Why do people want these athletes to get paid?  Hell, they practically live in a 5 star resort. 

Something tells me Alabama players aren't lacking for anything.

Something tells me Alabama players aren't lacking for anything.

Just ask incoming highly rated freshman Dee Liner.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/29/4567330/dee-liner-cash-instagram-alabama-football

It has some nsfw language in the pic.

BTW - I too have a hard time feeling for these kids who get free tuition, room and board, tutors, food, weekly stipend, and seem to always be driving Escalades and Mercedes around campus.

They aren't paying off their student loans until they're 40, like most of us.

Archived