Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

July sucks! Let us relive the 2012 season.

Gart Monk

At this point last year I wasn't getting my hopes up for the 2012 season.  Once again the Redskins mortgaged their future on a single prospect, they were in the cellar of the NFCE (featuring the defending SB champs & a loaded Eagles roster) and hit with that ridiculous two year cap penalty. I think we can all agree that it's a "special treat" for this franchise to simply have a meaningful game after Halloween, so I was digging in for a two year build that would have the team ready to contend in 2014. 

Here is the 2012 season, the lessons learned and why it needed to end when it did...

preaseason  Vanilla again.  Absolutely no preview of the beast they were about to unleash.  +1

@ NO  +8      RG3 & the offense open BIG, on the road, against the wounded, pissed off Saints

@STL  -3      Rams physically beat them up.  Fisher outcoached Shanahan.  Lesson learned.

vsCIN  -7      Stupid 4th qtr penalty by #15 was the turning point in CIN favor. Lesson learned.

@ TB   +2     WSH was well ahead, lost control and saved by Cundiff's 56yd 4th qtr FG.  IMO the

Redskins find a way to lose this game in any previous season dating back to 1992.

vsATL -7      Close game but ATL contains RG3, and KO's him.  Lesson learned???

vsMIN +12    WSH defense weathers the storm in the 1st qtr until the O get's back on track.  The

team peaked in the 2nd half to knock off the 4-1 Vikings.

@NYG -4      RG3 comes through in the 4th qtr, but the D gets caught in the end.  Lesson learned.

@PIT  -15     The offense couldn't catch anything.  D-Hall showed that he wasn't suited for his

captain patch.  PIT should have blown WSH out, but this is 2012.  Lesson learned.

vsCAR  -8     The only thing more miserable than this game was the week that followed.  A below

average CAR team shocks WSH in their "homecoming game" with fancy jerseys.

Lesson learned.

bye week      It's looking like the same old Skins at 3-6.  The fan base is stirred up and calling for

The Shans termination.  Some even want Snyder to get involved, but he stays steady.

Mike Shanahan accepts responsibility, redistributed the captain's patches and lets

Haslett off the leash to run that defense.  It is early November, they haven't won in

almost a month and once again there is nothing to lose going into the back end.

sigh...

vsPHI +25     WSH handled the struggling Eagles like a boss.  We all needed that.

@DAL +7      Forbath goes 5-5 featuring a 48yd CLUTCH 4th qtr FG as the Redskins thwart the

surging Cowboys furious comeback attempt.  LOL, & **** Dallas!  We needed that too.

First ever victory vs DAL on Thanksgiving.

vsNYG +1     Uh oh... somebody learned how to win close division games, on MNF in DECEMBER!

3 staight Ws vs NFCE not only puts WSH in the hunt, but in the driver's seat.  Really?

First ever Redskin's victory on MNF at "FEDEX" Field.

vsBAL +3      My personal favorite.  WSH knocks off the eventual SB champs, after beating last year's

champs, in a home game that had it all.  I kicked my own ass jumping up and down in

my living room during the end of game sequence, but figured the season was over as

RG3 takes a horrific knee shot.  RG3 = lesson definitely learned.

@CLE +17   The Brown's were served up at the perfect time.  Cousins facilitated a good win.  RG3

is obvioulsy irritated during the week about sitting out but The Shans owned it.

@PHI  +7      This one was scary.  1pm game in Philadelphia.  WSH came out with no energy, and

allowed the dormant Eagle's fans to get into the game.  Reid set the tone early by going

for 4th down conversions.  This proved to be the actual "trap game" of the season.  I

feel as if WSH loses this game in previous years also.  RG3 looks very sluggish.

vsDAL +10    Six straight Ws (4 Ws vs NFCE) sets the stage for a week17 do-or-die NFCE title game

vs Dallas at FEDEX on a flexed Sunday night game.  This is the game that we have

been waiting for since the team relocated to Maryland.  Dallas didn't have much of a

chance with Romo sits to pee at QB and his personal week17 history.  The Shans rode Morris to 

victory.  RG3's leg looks even worse as he hobbled around and couldn't plant-to-throw

properly.  But he is a winner, and winners WIN.

vsSEA -10     A home playoff game two years ahead of MY expectations.  WSH shows that they are

superior to SEA until RG3 expires.  WSH wins that game if Cousins comes in at 14-0

when RG3 had to go to "the shed."  Honestly it was sad to watch RG3 carry on like that

when he was clearly to injured to run or pass.  This event sets the stage for the blame

game.  All of which I found to be completely unnecessary.  If Cousins comes in at 14-0

and wins that game, then RG3 would have started the next game and put himself at an

even greater risk of a more serious injury.  No thanks to that.  I'll take the 2012 season

as is.  It was great!

So what did the 2012 Redskins show us?

*  They didn't suffer their customary blowout defeat that happens every year.

2011       0-23 vs BUF  (in Canada)

2010     28-59 vs PHI    (MNF at FEDEX, coming off of a bye)

7-31 vs NYG 

2009     45-12 vs NYG 

0-17 vs DAL

2008       6-23 vs PIT    (MNF at FEDEX, Steelers fans invasion)

*  They beleive they can win NFCE games (5-1)

*  They didn't repeat dumb mistakes throughout the season, and the ball started bouncing their way.

*  They learned not to taunt other teams with "homecoming" themes.

*  They deferred to wear their 1950s throwback jerseys the 2nd time.  <----very impressive decision

*  They have a true leader at QB, who in his first season got to live an entire career of NFL 

experiences.  Cousins showed well also as his stock is rising.

*  A 100% RG3 can outrun defensive secondarys.  I think Gannon was the last mobile QB for WSH.

*  RG3's greatest weakness is his stubborn desire to win at all costs. I'll take that.  We still don't know

what his greatest strength is.  I'll take that too.

*  The patience is paying off.  The Shans are looking pretty good right now.  The decision to go with

Grossman/Beck in 2011 was brilliant.  Simply put, it was a step back to take two forward.

*  Help is on the way as a multitude of starters are coming off of IR, and the cap penalty expires 2014.

*  This team has relied on brut stength since 2004.  Now they are strong, fast and capable at skill

positions.  There is also disciplined culture all the way around.

*  A "practice bubble" is a good thing.  Congratulations to WSH for finally stepping into the 1990's

*  WSH has NYG's number, PHI is starting a rebuild and Dallas is continuing to do whatever it is they

do around there.  Im not worried about DAL because they've brain damaged themselves to the

point that they may never win another big game.  PHI is the big question in the NFCE now.

*  In-game composure.  This is what makes champions.

*  This is "real"  and should only get better.

Congratulations to YOU if you made it through this OP.

September can't get here fast enough!

Nice post. Didn't agree with everything you said about each game but overall I liked what I read and agree with a lot of the bullet points. It was probably the best season I can remember in 22 years as a fan even though we didn't go as deep in the playoffs as 99 or 05. This team just seems to have a much brighter future than those teams did. 

Also really liked this line:

RG3's greatest weakness is his stubborn desire to win at all costs. I'll take that.  We still don't know

what his greatest strength is.  I'll take that too.

@STL  -3      Rams physically beat them up.  Fisher outcoached Shanahan.  Lesson learned.

I disagree with this assessment. We lost both Rak and Carriker early in the game and couldn't adjust. Our D let Amendola run wild, and the stupid penalty on Morgan was in this game (threw the ball at Finnegan after he shoved Morgan after the play)

vsCIN  -7      Stupid 4th qtr penalty by #15 was the turning point in CIN favor. Lesson learned.

I forget how we get there, but we were driving for the tying score and then somehow got into a 3rd and 45. Haslett was still massaging the D trying to figure out how to get a pass rush without Rak and Carriker.

vsATL -7      Close game but ATL contains RG3, and KO's him.  Lesson learned???

Fluke hit that knocked him out of the game. I think we win that game had he not been injured. No real lesson to learn.

@NYG -4      RG3 comes through in the 4th qtr, but the D gets caught in the end.  Lesson learned.

Yeah, the play to Cruz was bad, but it was turnovers that killed us here. I think we lost 2 or 3 fumbles and Griffin threw a pick.

@PIT  -15     The offense couldn't catch anything.  D-Hall showed that he wasn't suited for his captain patch.  PIT should have blown WSH out, but this is 2012.  Lesson learned.

That's not really fair to Hall, we don't know what the ref said to him that caused him to blow up. If the reports are correct and the ref used a slur, then what Hall did was perfectly understandable. What lesson was learned here?

vsCAR  -8     The only thing more miserable than this game was the week that followed.  A below average CAR team shocks WSH in their "homecoming game" with fancy jerseys. Lesson learned.

Same question: What lesson was learned?

Also, I remember that right after we drafted Griffin, he said something on the order of "I learn from my mistakes and don't make the same mistake twice. Well, He didn't have any multiple interception games, and he threw one pick to each of Dallas, New York, and Philly. In the first game. Meaning he learned from those games and didn't make the same mistake again. :D

Under the radar and a peek at the future:  Rg3's execution of two-minute drill in Bengals game with 7 minutes left ... he

completes 9 out of 10 passes to Davis (4), Hankerson (2) and Helu (3) ... then sneaks across goal iine for TD. 

Terrific snap shot of RG3 ... the "Passing QB"  ... operating up-tempo out of the gun. 

Starkly illustrates his quick release, accuracy and ability to see the field.

Should see alot more of this in 2013!

@ TB   +2     WSH was well ahead, lost control and saved by Cundiff's 56yd 4th qtr FG.  IMO the

Redskins find a way to lose this game in any previous season dating back to 1992.

1) Pretty sure the stupid 4th quarter penalty on #15 was against St. Louis, not Cincinnatti.

2) Cundiff's game-winning FG wasn't 56 yards, it was 41 yards.

@ NO  +8      RG3 & the offense open BIG, on the road, against the wounded, pissed off Saints

Gosh ... still have this game on the DVR. 

The Play ... man that play. 

I remember like yesterday. 

It was the across the body and across the field throw that Three made to I think Fred Davis ... when he did that, I just sat back, shook my head and wholeheartedly felt ... this mother f'er is for real and the one.  :lol:

go to the 1:07 mark (it's even more impressive, especially seeing how far the threw it ... about 35 yards?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVb5tyyrMbE

I got a dog during the bye week, an Ibizan Hound, named Dexter.

We never lost another game during the regular season, lesson learned = I will get another one during the bye this year during week 5, and to be safe, I'll get yet another one just before the playoffs start.

post-173486-0-26856200-1374166257_thumb.jpg

This game to me showed a lot about Griffin's grit. It was the game I was looking forward to the most in the early part of the season. Reason being that I mentioned to friends, during his last year as Baylor, that Griffin reminded me of Eli Manning in his competitiveness. Because while I don't think Eli is the best pure QB in the NFL, I do think he's one of the most competitive. It doesn't matter how many times you knock him down, or how many picks he throws, he's almost always going to find a way to bring his team back in the end. That was something I saw glimpses of in Griffin at Baylor, so going into this game I wanted to see how he'd do against a competitor who's going to bring it all game, and he'd have to match that intensity for 4 quarters. Needless to say, he was up to the challenge, and if not for a defensive brainfart would have out-dueled Eli at his own game. Hell, even after Eli threw that TD to Cruz, RGIII was still fighting back and trying to get us the win, and looked like he was about to if it weren't for a Santana Moss fumble that sealed the game.

But this game was the one that spoke volumes about Griffin's capability at this level of play and he didn't let me down.

This vid probably won't be up much longer until it gets pulled for copyright reasons, but while it's there.......enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwP-8WDOEBk

niceeee!!! On behalf of all Redskins fans everywhere, i thank you, good sir :) i gotta go to bed right now cause i work from 9-2:30 later today, but I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that i can watch it when i get home :)

Gosh ... still have this game on the DVD. 

The Play ... man that play. 

I remember like yesterday. 

It was the across the body and across the field throw that Three made to I think Fred Davis ... when he did that, I just sat back, shook my head and wholeheartedly felt ... this mother f'er is for real and the one.  :lol: 

That's the play for me as well from last year.  ONLY other QB I've ever seen be able to make a throw like that is Aaron Rodgers.  That's the kind of throw Favre always tried in big games and would end up giving the game away.

Archived