Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Except Orlando surrounded him with a lousy supporting cast year after year and expected him to carry the load.   Eventually, he got fed up, just like Lebron did in Cleveland and Garnett did in Minnesota.   He made a bad choice going to the Lakers, but I don't blame him for giving up on Orlando.

When I said that situation was the best, I meant Stan van Gundy was the best coach for him. He created a system using 3 point shooters to give Dwight space to roam down low and hide his terrible post game. He also used Dwight a lot on pick and rolls.

Dwight thought he was above pick and rolls and wanted to use his post up game more, and it started to unravel there with Stan van Gundy telling everyone Dwight tried to get him fired and then Dwight walking up a minute later like the doofus he is.

Otis Smith was a terrible GM tho, but my point was about that specific system being ideal for him.

Do you have anything to base the assertion that Griffin doesn't like playing with Chris Paul on?

Blake's best two runs in his career was his rookie season and teh season where Chris Paul missed about 20 games and Blake became a legit MVP candidate.

They dont like playing with each other because they don't mix.

Also Chris Paul is a very hard person to play with if you listen to the rumors. Dwight would have hated playing with him.

I completely agree that Dwight would have checked out on Paul after maybe the first month. Don't let the Allstate commercials fool you, CP3 and Lebron are the most competitive dudes out there.

I want to take a second to applaud what Stotts has done with Portland this year. I think his greatest achievement ( and there are many to be honest) was trading for Mason Plumlee and giving a guy who has no shot whatsoever and is a liability at the line a clear role in this run and gun offense. His uber athleticism, scrappiness, rebounding ability, and passing creativity is what keeps a team of iso shooters in it.

Griffin and Paul's dislike for each other has been reported for a long time. Nothing concrete but the inside reports are that they don't get along and Paul doesn't exactly respect the dude

Didn't Jordan almost leave the Clippers because CP3 was a jerk? I mean... maybe they're right.

There will always be former players that don't respect current stars game. Curry already has been labeled the greatest shooter of all time, on what (if they seal the deal) will be the greatest team of all time. His game has forced even the harshest critics to either stay quiet or acknowledge his greatness.

Former players are the hardest to please. Especially former star players. You could argue that there are maybe a handful of NBA players all time who have no critics whatsoever.

Can't please everyone. But the overwhelming majority of outsiders have heaped praise on this guy for two years now. Greatest shooter in history is arguably the highest honor that you could give a player. You can't really objectively point to anything substantial to knock him.

I know you think I hate anyone who "challenges" MJ .. I don't. I don't really care about anyone's legacy, I just hate when people bring up asinine arguments in sports. 

What McGrady said was so absurd. The NBA is littered with talent now. At the wing positions, we may be at the peak of talent. Big men, another story but that's for another day. McGrady's just mad he wasn't MVP in what was it 2002 or 2003 when he had that super season? And Curry is the greatest shooter ever, it's not close either. He's a special talent.

What's interesting, you'll notice the two guys who made the NBA what it is now, Magic and Bird, have never criticized today's game for anything. All they have is praise for the young guns. The Big O is on hatorade though!

Bird has been a GM and coach so he's much more connected to the young players now than a lot of the other luminary former players.

But he and Magic weren't the type to bad mouth young players, even when they were still playing. They were true ambassadors for the league.

Magic sure, but Bird was arguably the best trash talker of all-time. I recall reading a story where Reggie Miller as a rookie tried to psyche Bird out as he was icing a late game at the foul line and Bird essentially told him to know his role and shut his mouth as The Rock used to say.

Magic sure, but Bird was arguably the best trash talker of all-time. I recall reading a story where Reggie Miller as a rookie tried to psyche Bird out as he was icing a late game at the foul line and Bird essentially told him to know his role and shut his mouth as The Rock used to say.

Talking trash during a game is different from lobbing grenades at younger players in the media. I don't think Bird has ever done that.

I know you think I hate anyone who "challenges" MJ .. I don't. I don't really care about anyone's legacy, I just hate when people bring up asinine arguments in sports. 

What McGrady said was so absurd. The NBA is littered with talent now. At the wing positions, we may be at the peak of talent. Big men, another story but that's for another day. McGrady's just mad he wasn't MVP in what was it 2002 or 2003 when he had that super season? And Curry is the greatest shooter ever, it's not close either. He's a special talent.

What's interesting, you'll notice the two guys who made the NBA what it is now, Magic and Bird, have never criticized today's game for anything. All they have is praise for the young guns. The Big O is on hatorade though!

Bruce Bowen put McGrady in his place earlier today. He said, "Don't get mad because Curry has accomplished more than you on AND off the court."

I agreed with all of your post except this part. There was nothing wrong with that Orlando squad, the problem was Dwight is, and has remained, lazy and unwilling to put the work in to improve as a player. They developed a squad of outside shooters with a pass-first PG in Jameer Nelson to keep the pressure off him. Double teaming Dwight would be problematic since all he would need to do is kick it out to Hedo, Redick, or any of the other shooters who could knock down wide open shots. He also had Patrick Ewing as an assistant coach, and SVG as his HC. The problem was Dwight. Despite having a HoF Center to learn from, he never developed a dominant post game, so double teams became unnecessary because Howard wasn't consistently scoring in the paint on a nightly basis, which affected how the rest of the team would be productive. Once he had that herniated disk, I knew his athleticism would take a hit. I will give him credit for playing with it and being available as much as he has. Most players in this sport who get that injury are out of the league in a couple of years. 

We are just going to have to disagree on this one.  

Jameer Nelson and his 5.7 assists and .427 shooting wasn't taking anyone to the promised land.  Hedo was old and slow and lousy  by that time.  Redick was nowhere near the player he is now - he was a shooter but he shot .425 from the field.    

That roster was the essence of NBA mediocrity.  

When I said that situation was the best, I meant Stan van Gundy was the best coach for him. He created a system using 3 point shooters to give Dwight space to roam down low and hide his terrible post game. He also used Dwight a lot on pick and rolls.

Dwight thought he was above pick and rolls and wanted to use his post up game more, and it started to unravel there with Stan van Gundy telling everyone Dwight tried to get him fired and then Dwight walking up a minute later like the doofus he is.

Otis Smith was a terrible GM tho, but my point was about that specific system being ideal for him.

I agree with this.  The system was good for him.   But the team sucked.   

Bruce Bowen put McGrady in his place earlier today. He said, "Don't get mad because Curry has accomplished more than you on AND off the court."

Bruce Bowen can't help himself, only thing that man knows how to do is go hard on defense.

Big game tonight. Could be the end of the Duncan era.

Gotta think the Warriors would rather see San Antonio. It's just an easier matchup for them

No it really isn't.  Both teams are tough, and OKC is more athletic, but the Spurs are smarter, play better defense and have better secondary shooters.  The Warriors can out think and out execute OKC down the stretch, and force them into low percetnage ISO-ball.   It's harder with the Spurs.   Plus, the Warriors rely heavily on the extra pass but Kawhi just destroys the passing lanes.