Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

These opening round games have been garbage for the most part.  Billy Donovan was a bad hire.  Pitino he ain't.  Him and Hoiberg are in over their heads.  

When OKC was rolling along a few years back, I thought that Durant leaving seemed far fetched, or wishful thinking for teams that hoped to land him.  Now, I kinda get the feeling that he's gone.  The coach hasn't done them any favors, but the Westbrook/Durant combo just feels worn out.  We shall see.

The final game pushed the Hornets to the 6th seed, so they don't play at home until Saturday.  Got my ticket yesterday.  Excited to check it out. 

Donovan isn't an improvement at all on Brooks, somehow they are nearly the same.

Really tho, the front office has done a rather poor job IMO of putting pieces together around Durant and Westbrook. Ibaka is inconsistent. A team with 2 of the best 6 players in the entire league should be a lot better. I think it falls on coaching and management.

OKC will be completely irrelevant in 2 years once both of those guys are gone

You think you can win with Harden though?

I'm not high on Beal at all but I want no part of Harden. I think Beal does less damage.

As long as Wall still leads the team it would be fine. As Shaq said tonight, Harden isn't a leader. He's an amazing scorer but if he is your best player/alpha/leader, you're in trouble because he doesn't set the right tone for the other guys.

The Wizards would be a whole lot better with Harden over Beal. At least Harden would play 90% of the games each year and Beal's ceiling isn't anywhere close to Harden's floor right now. You just have to figure of what to do with his effort and defense. Wall could get him where he needs to

Be IMO

• Like 3

When Harden went from OKC to Houston, he went from being the next Manu Ginobli to the next Gilbert Arenas.

As incredible as Gil was in his prime, I'm not sure you can win a championship with players like him.

It's hard to accept that the current version of Harden is a product of a bad situation in Houston when he's done a lot to make it a bad situation. Dumped on his teammates, went behind Dwight's back to try and get him traded, and gives zero defensive effort. He doesn't seem to care too much about winning any more. I told GACOLB this: he's a creative personality who uses basketball as a creative outlet instead of a competitive one, where creativity is the end rather than the means to the end, which is winning.

He's obviously a lot better than Beal, but I don't think he puts the Wizards closer to contention. And I don't think Wall would be able to corral him, nor do I think Wall could leader a contender on his own. I don't think it's a good idea to have one of your best players be so devoid of leadership qualities. It's working out in Cleveland right now, but that team has LeBron filling the void that Irving and Love can't and nobody else is like LeBron. And even still, that team feels like a ticking time bomb, with whatever coach always on the verge of getting fired and Love on the verge of getting traded.

Plus, just from an Xs and Os perspective, I have a hard time seeing two players as ball dominant as Wall and Harden coexisting. They each need to be paired with off ball back court players. Better to pair them with finishers at the PF and C spots.

• Like 1

He shared a court with Westbrook and Durant.  I think people are making too much of how ball dominant Harden is, because Houston really doesn't have a system frowns on over dribbling nor does it have very many players who can.  Who exactly is he stopping from creating their own shot?  Harden's issues have nothing to do with his play on the offensive end, his issues are that he's a diva and he doesn't play defense. 

I don't think he'd have a problem sharing the floor with a guy that is going to get him open looks consistently.  I don't think there are very many players in history that would have a hard time playing with a good pass first point guard.  Kobe, the patron saint of modern ball hogs, desperately wanted to play with Chris Paul.  Lebron would love the opportunity as well, and he's a player that not only wants the ball at all times but also wants to coach and run the front office.  Pass first point guards fit with scorers. 

The problem Wall has is the opposite, he doesn't have enough players on the floor that can score and dribble the ball so he has to force up shots and do too much. 

Now that I've said all that, let me circle back to Harden's weaknesses.  I'm not sure he can be the best player on a title team.  Defensive effort has to start with your star players.  They have to hold the team accountable.  It's no surprise that teams with Tim Duncan, Lebron James, and Paul George play terrific defense.  Harden puts coaches in an impossible position of having to say "everyone except him has to play hard" which just doesn't seem to work well.  I'm not saying he has to be a great defender, but even poor defenders like Steve Nash showed effort.  Harden quits and that's a big problem. 

I would argue that a bigger issue with Harden is that his accuracy passing the ball is subpar. A team can live with its best player being a poor defender. Thats ok. However, if he is the primary ball handler he's gotta be able to hit his teammates in stride. I dont know if hes just bad at placing the ball in the right spot for his teammates or they are just never ready for him to pass the ball. Either way, their are far too many possessions where the ball is thrown away or teammates are neglected in clear scoring positions.

Houston had a chance to win last night, but seems to be actively moving on from Howard when he is their xfactor and most efficient player. Of course, its kind of been that way all season. I feel like Montejunas had twice as many offensive touches as Howard. Thats foul. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive

What happened to Boston last night is what happens when you have no quality shot creators going against a good defense in the playoffs.

Quality shot creation is the single most valuable skill in the NBA. It's why teams will always take the risk on players like James Harden and Carmelo Anthony despite the headaches that come with them.

Sources: Minnesota is engaged in serious talks with Tom Thibodeau to become President of Basketball Ops and coach, with Scott Layden as GM.

Layden is the assistant GM with Spurs, and sources say that he discussed GM job under Thibodeau's authority with Minnesota in recent days.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Never understood the Thibs love. He runs his players into the ground in the regular season so they overachieve and win a few more games then they should but in the playoffs when everyone plays hard he gets exposed. He's basically Scott Skiles 2.0, maybe a little bit better. And you know giving one guy all the authority never works.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15285077/stanley-johnson-detroit-pistons-says-definitely-cleveland-cavaliers-star-lebron-james-head

CLEVELAND -- Detroit Pistons rookie Stanley Johnson didn't hold back in his assessment of how he thinks he has defended Cavaliers star LeBron James over the first two games of their Eastern Conference first-round series.

"I'm definitely in his head, that's for sure," Johnson said after a 107-90, Game 2 loss to the Cavs. "That's for sure."

:lol:

Just STFU rookie before you make yourself look any dumber.

Reads like an Onion article.

Detroit is going to get swept. There is a real chance that all of the series except for OKC-Dallas and Indy-Toronto are sweeps. This has been a lame first round.