Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I dont find the Lakers season all that disappointing. I knew they would suck. Im surprised at Kobes demeanor though. I was convinced he would finally crack the shell off the nut. But to his credit, he is smart enough to know that its far more beneficial to his legacy to play nice with everybody this last year.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

1- Bucks

2- Pelicans

3- Wizards

I never understood the love for the Bucks.

It was pretty clear that Monroe was a bad fit, and you really didn't know what you had in Parker.  To me the Bucks are a classic example of trying to go forward with winning before you were sure you had the pieces in place.

For the Bucks to me, this was a clear year to pause and see what had when you had Parker and MCW for a full year.

I'm not disappointed in the Lakers season either just that Kobes final season hasn't been a great display by him and he's been pretty much a nightly punchline with a few vintage moments mixed in. Sad to see him go out like that

Never really ends well for anybody, much less for people with Kobe's personality.

Jim Buss screwed them out of any opportunity they could have had to get things right these last few years, but I think either way, the Kobe you see is the Kobe you would've gotten. 20 years, numerous long playoff campaigns and numerous Olympic/FIBA invites is just too much to overcome no matter what you do.

Im gonna be 28 in July and this mother****er has been balling at the pro level since I was in 3rd grade. Thats just a lot of time to give your body up to something as grueling as 82-100 games a year throughout.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

I never feel sorry for fans of teams like the Lakers (Sorry Kosher). I mean, your team won 10 NBA titles and were perenial contenders from 1980 up until 3 years ago. I think every fan base should have to go through at least 10 years of losing. I mean, real stink it up losing. Yankee fans saw it first hand in the mid 80s until the mid 90s. I want Patriot fans and Spurs fans to go through it eventually. They should try and walk a mile in the shoes of loyal fans who have had to endure, not only losing, but 10, 20, or 30+ years of losing. Most of us are Redskins fans in here. It has been 24 years since we've been a SB contender. You know the feeling.

Edited by pjfootballer

I never understood the love for the Bucks.

It was pretty clear that Monroe was a bad fit, and you really didn't know what you had in Parker.  To me the Bucks are a classic example of trying to go forward with winning before you were sure you had the pieces in place.

For the Bucks to me, this was a clear year to pause and see what had when you had Parker and MCW for a full year.

They made the playoffs as a .500 team added Monroe and got Parker back. Most people expected them to build on their success or at least stay even. They've fallen to a .400 team instead. Also I don't understand the Monroe not fitting argument. He's a center for them and as that, his game fits everywhere. Saying he's the problem is like blaming a point guard for a teams bad rebounding. Centers aren't supposed to shoot.

The fit issue is that you can't start MCW, Parker, and Giannis unless two of those guys learn how to shoot.

They made the playoffs as a .500 team added Monroe and got Parker back. Most people expected them to build on their success or at least stay even. They've fallen to a .400 team instead. Also I don't understand the Monroe not fitting argument. He's a center for them and as that, his game fits everywhere. Saying he's the problem is like blaming a point guard for a teams bad rebounding. Centers aren't supposed to shoot.

The fit issue is that you can't start MCW, Parker, and Giannis unless two of those guys learn how to shoot.

First, I'd tell if you are to the point where you are trying to go from being good to really good, you have to worry about how the pieces fit together.

If you want to make that jump, you can't bring in a bad rebounding PG if your know your bigs aren't good rebounders.  If you are being bad and collecting pieces, then worrying about that sort of fit doesn't make much sense.  But you don't go out and make the moves they made this year if that's where you think you are.

From there, I think Monroe actually hurts the value of the other pieces on the defensive and offensive end of the floor.

To get value out of Monroe, I need to get him the ball in the paint area, but that hurts the ability of MCW, Parker and others to drive even in 1/2 court offense sets.  On the offensive end, by adding Monroe you have hurt the effectiveness and value of your other pieces.

Then on defense, they have the ability to play an athletic switching D (coupled with a fast paced style of play over all in playing in transition), but Monroe doesn't fit that style of D in that he's not a good help defender or good at switching or the ability to get up and down the court to play in transition.

I guess I'm surprised out how far they fell, but it was pretty clear to me that Monroe wasn't a good fit and that they were going to have issues (depending on how good Parker turned out to be, and I suspect that Monroe is contributing to Parker's appearant struggles).

Related to Monroe, this is a good piece:

http://patternofbasketball.blogspot.com/

Now, I don't think Monroe is that bad, but he doesn't fit and his defense ends up hurting them and hurts their ability to get into and play in transition, and I think on offense, he ends up clogging lanes and limiting touches.

"A good way to look at it is that the center in basketball is like the catcher in baseball - the position has so many defensive requirements that it almost doesn't matter how good they are on offense as long as they can stay out of the way. The temptation to play an offensive-minded player at that position is super high because it's such a value add in comparison to the rest of the league, but the problem is that sacrificing defense at that position for a big bat can really hamstring a team in a lot of subtle ways.

That's the problem with building a team around an offensive-minded 5 - you are going to be waiting a long time for their defense to catch up. The Sacramento Kings have this problem with DeMarcus Cousins and the Orlando Magic have this problem with Nik Vucevic. DeMarcus has only begun to figure it out on defense in the last 2 years and that's still pretty hit or miss. Vucevic hasn't figured it out at all and my suspicion is that his presence at the 5 is one of the reasons why all the talent in Orlando hasn't coalesced into a winning basketball team. There's just a ceiling on how good your team can be when you are playing a sieve at the front of the rim - especially when there are a lot of young players in front of him who are making mental mistakes and giving up penetration - and it doesn't matter how many points he's scoring on offense if he's giving up just as many on defense."

Edited by PeterMP

Houston has to be the biggest disappointment.  Most of the other teams that are below expectations like the Wizards and the Pelicans have suffered a ton of injuries to key players.   Houston hasn't - they've just underachieved.  

Edited by Predicto

Houston has to be the biggest disappointment.  Most of the other teams that are below expectations like the Wizards and the Pelicans have suffered a ton of injuries to key players.   Houston hasn't - they've just underachieved.

Good point and they were shopping there second star before the trade deadline and fired their coach early this season. Definitely not what anyone expected for the rockets this season.

the moves at 1:20 and 1:36 should scare the hell out of NBA bigs

Aaron GleemanVerified account
‏@AaronGleeman
Rookies to average 17+ & 10+ with FG% over .525:

KARL-ANTHONY TOWNS
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'Neal
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon

That's it.

Edited by StillUnknown

Kyrie Irving saw just nine minutes of playing time in the Cleveland Cavaliers' Sunday stomping of the Oklahoma City Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena before bowing out late in the first quarter due to what the team called "flu-like symptoms." As the three-time All-Star revealed Monday, though, the issue wasn't that his stomach was turning; it's that his skin was crawling.

Link

Silky soft touch, great footwork, great quickness and length. He's got a chance to be the best offensive big man in the game in a couple of seasons. Just needs to stay focused and competitive and not start settling for a ton of bad shots like DeMarcus Cousins. The Timberwolves are going to be good in a couple of seasons.

http://deadspin.com/the-warriors-are-the-best-team-ever-and-they-can-eat-s-1761305524

The Warriors Are The Best Team Ever, And They Can Eat ****

Earlier today in Deadspin’s staff chat room, our editor Tim Marchman and I floated the idea of a “**** The Warriors” post, which would fully acknowledge everything great and fun and astonishing about these Golden State Warriors but also air out the completely irrational hatred he and I both feel toward them in our capacity as sour, resentful cranks. Our coworkers pretty much unanimously reacted as I imagine they would if we pitched them on a video of me burning down an orphanage. **** them, and **** the Warriors.

It’s partly your fault, Internet. Partly what I hate is you. Get off their jocks, you front-runners! In last night’s win (of course it was a win, they always win because they have broken the sport of basketball, God I hate them), Steph Curry extended his arms above his head, opened his hands, hopped maybe six inches, and caught an offensive rebound that came directly to him. Three Miami Heat players were standing in the general vicinity of the ball, but none of them even reacted until Curry already had his hands on it. My seven-year-old son could have made that play. My five-year-old son would have botched the catch and gotten a bloody nose and blamed it on his big brother, but he’s five and I don’t think comparing him to Steph Curry is very fair.

Warning, lots of adult language (text, it's not going to scream at you). 

"He was a vessel for the Swagger of God." hahaha

Steph Curry last night:  51 points on only 27 shots and only one free throw.  

His stats for the month:  35.7 ppg on .702 true shooting percentage.  Also 6 rebounds and seven and half assists per game.  Only plays 34 minutes a game.  

Bizarre stat: for the season Curry is 35 of 52 from 28 to 50 feet out.    67 percent from 28 feet to beyond half court.  

His season PER is the highest in NBA history, just ahead of Wilt Chamberlain in 1962.  

I hope someone beats them in the playoffs

Stupid Warriors

You might get your wish.   The Warriors may be 52-5, but they still are only 3 1/2 games up on the Spurs - who are on pace to win 70 freaking games themselves.

Edited by Predicto

These old players trashing Curry are ridiculous. Oscar Robertson would have played 3/4 court defense against the Warriors to stop Steph? Pretty sure the Warriors would love that kind of spacing. It's like Steph has offended them by being great without being a battering ram.

Its a difference of eras. "Back when I played, sonny jim" blah blah blah.

You knew what he was saying was bs because when he tried to break down their offense it sounded like he hadn't watched a game all year. Maybe ever. Just overwhelmingly bitter.

Like, he reached the Mercury Morris level of bitterness

Magic was much more realistic in his assessment. Oscar came off as basically old man yells at cloud.

Even though we lost, I knew Whiteside would play well. Didn't mean a goddamn thing, but it was nice to see Draymond stfu for once. Hassan ain't Blake Griffin or Deandre, bruh.