Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Easily my biggest draft miss ever.

Me too. He was in play at 6, and I remember the exact reason I didn't want him was because he couldn't shoot threes.

I remember I wanted Bismack Biyombo instead. SMH.

How good a shooter he's become, after having not been a shooter at all in college, is stunning. His career could have just as easily gone the way MKG's has. I the reason he's leading the NBA in three point percentage now is due to a combination of a rare personality type, and having the good luck to get drafted by the Spurs. Leonard is a weird guy. Lives with his mom and is interested in absolutely nothing but basketball. There are no other star NBA players that are anything like him.

No one. They're going to steamroll everybody. Just too much shooting ability and versatility. 4 years have made a world of difference for guys like Curry, Klay, Westbrook, Boogie, Wall, George, etc

It should be the Curry, Westbrook, and Durant show. But with Durant's FA coming up, I'm not sure he'll participate.

I wonder if Wall is going to turn down the opportunity to play for Team USA like Rondo used to do? He was pissed about being snubbed by the 2014 team and said he was done with Team USA after that. If Curry and Westbrook play, the team won't really need him. And as a Wizards fan, I don't really want him playing like that during the summer. But he could certainly help the team, especially if CP3 doesn't play. One of USA's best lineups would be playing Wall with Irving and Curry and having him guard the SG spot. A lot better than playing Curry or Irving with DeRozan at SG. And Wall playing with Cousins means you'd get more out of the big guy.

Yeah, thats my thought. Put Curry on the floor with Westbrook at the 2 and grab some Bengay

Westbrook needs to get on great coached team. He's a Jordan/Kobe style player that's been wearing the wrong hat for too long. He needs a system that makes the role players run and lets him focus on crushing the other team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25484921/chris-bosh-facing-a-potentially-serious-health-problem

Multiple reports surfaced Monday night that Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh has suffered a potentially serious complication beyond the calf strain that held him out of Sunday's All-Star Game. Bosh's agent informed the Miami Herald it was "too soon" to report that Bosh had developed another blood clot, after that condition ended his season and forced him on blood thinners for over seven months last year.

Well that sucks. I've never had a single negative thought about Bosh. He seems like a good guy and I think it's pretty obvious he gave up a lot of personal glory and fame to go win a championship. You can only respect that. Really hope it's not as bad as it's sounding.

i'm not so sure he gave up much personal glory or fame. If anything he gained fame and notoriety joining Miami rather than toiling away in relative anonymity in Toronto

I'm not buying that crap. He was having breathing problems and couldn't walk last year.

And I'm sorry, but no to Dwight. I'd rather keep Whiteside, and all his craziness. Few people annoy me as much as Dwight and whatever the hell plagues him wherever he goes.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

i'm not so sure he gave up much personal glory or fame. If anything he gained fame and notoriety joining Miami rather than toiling away in relative anonymity in Toronto

He solidified himself as a HOFer with his stint in Miami. 

Also, Mr. Sinister...Dwight Howard's legacy will be an interesting one.  He's a great 5 in an era when there weren't that many good ones for a while.  However, there is something about him that just isn't conducive to winning.  Hard to put a finger on it, but if he's moved before the deadline, I think he'll have to look himself in the mirror and try to figure out what he can do with his game to help the team. 

He solidified himself as a HOFer with his stint in Miami. 

Also, Mr. Sinister...Dwight Howard's legacy will be an interesting one.  He's a great 5 in an era when there weren't that many good ones for a while.  However, there is something about him that just isn't conducive to winning.  Hard to put a finger on it, but if he's moved before the deadline, I think he'll have to look himself in the mirror and try to figure out what he can do with his game to help the team. 

That quote by him where he's questioning Bickerstaff's speech, basically saying "Why can't we be positive?" basically sums up Dwight Howard in a nutshell. Always wanting to be able to smile, and have good vibes. and kumbaya, and all that ish. When the going gets tough, and its time to nut up, and get a steely look in your eye, and walk through some fire, he's clicking his heels like Dorothy.

Its probably the boxing fan in me, but there's nothing more sad than a man with his size and ability, that would rather go kiss some bunnies than figuratively disembowel a man and eat his heart.

Put Russell Westbrook in his body and you know what I'm talking about. That, and he's older. And more expensive. He should've never left Orlando. That was basically the end.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Howard's issue isn't that he's a wimp, or that he has no fight in him. Dude has game, and he's been ridiculously productive in light of playing behind every other guy in Houston it seems. The problem is that his entire persona, this happy, nice, child friendly guy, is all fake. It's just his persona. Hard to respect a man that just wants to look like he's the nice guy in the room. Especially when everyone on the team knows the truth.

You guys sound a little like Cowherd making everything a question of character. I think Howard never reached expectations but managed to be just good enough to demand a max deal. Those two combine to make a player that's difficult to be satisfied with. Championship teams don't hand out max deals to extremely limited players and that's ultimately what Howard is. Defense isn't something teams pay max for, so put that aside for now. Yes I realize defense is important, especially at center, but no it's not enough. Howard in crunch time isn't a max player. Can't hit free throws, gets easily frustrated, and he can be stopped around the rim. He's a liability when stars are needed to be at their best. That's what makes him frustrating... Not that he likes to smile, you goobers.

• Like 1

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14787043/detroit-pistons-trade-brandon-jennings-ersan-ilyasova-orlando-magic-tobias-harris

The Detroit Pistons acquired Tobias Harris from the Orlando Magic in exchange for Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova, it was announced Tuesday.

Both teams are currently out of playoff position and have been looking to get back in. With Harris, who is averaging 13.7 points and 7.0 rebounds this season, the Pistons get a young power forward with shooting range, but the team will also take on the rest of the four-year, $64 million deal he signed last year.

I like the versatility and spacing of having Morris and Harris sharing for the front court with Drummond, but playing two tweeners at the 3 and 4 hasn't always worked out well in the NBA.  I do trust Stan Van Gundy to make the most of what talent he has though, and he'll get Detroit playing playoff basketball soon enough.  And then he'll be fired.   

Yeah I knew that wasn't a good choice of words when I posted it. It was late, I was tired, **** it.

I'm talking about being THE guy on a team. He gave that up to become a third option. Also I don't doubt that his role was different and a bit smaller than what he initially imagined it would be. And all he did was put in work and do whatever was necessary.

Also, he was a free agent. It wasn't either or with Toronto and Miami. There are a number of places he could've gone to be the premier guy.

This is me trying to be nice. Please don't argue this moment away.

Dwight is a tool but he used to be a dominant player. His back got ****ed up in his last few years in Orlando and he's never been the same player since.

I don't think Dwight is soft. He's goofy, but he's been an absolute monster in the postseason. Carried Orlando to the Finals on his back with a ridiculous individual performance in 2009. He averaged like 27 and 15 and 2 against Atlanta in 2011. Had a crazy series against Portland in 2014 where he averaged 26-14-3 while Harden did nothing. Even in last year's playoff run when he was very limited he still averaged 16-14-2. That's elite production from any other center in the league except DeMarcus Cousins.

He won like 4 DPOYs in a row in his prime and was not only the best and most impactful defender in the game (by far), but also the best rebounder. And he could average 20 a night and lead the league in FG percentage. He was absolutely worth max contracts. Problem has been health, and the fact that his game was never going to age gracefully.

Now he is offensively limited no doubt. He's never gotten to play with a real PG, and that's a pity, because doing so would have made him a HoFer. And he definitely needs to be surrounded by shooters to space the floor for him. He's the league's most dominant PnR roll man and he's a top notch garbage man, and he's so big and powerful that you only have to get him the ball within five feet of the rim and he'll probably be able to score. That's how he's able to score 20 PPG with so few scoring tools.

DeAndre Jordan just got a max contract. Andre Drummond is about to get a max contract. Even a diminished Dwight is still a better player than they are. Dwight in his prime was worlds better. Much as his personality annoys the crap out of me, I'd take him on the Wizards in a heartbeat. Wall would make the game easy for him and he'd improve our god awful defense.

He should've never left Orlando. That was basically the end.

The situation in Orlando was ****ed. Otis Smith had mismanaged the team so severely that they were screwed. He made Ernie Grunfeld look brilliant in comparison. Seriously, Ernie was able dump Gilbert Arenas off on them in an exchange for Rashard Lewis--an asset that got us Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza a year later and turned our rebuild around. Meanwhile Arenas's contract was a big part of the ****ed up cap situation that Orlando fell into that made it impossible to keep Dwight. And then they had to amnesty him. Breathtakingly bad general managing.

Leaving Orlando made sense. It's the destination that didn't. That LA situation was doomed from day one. And when he went to Houston the next summer, he traded one ball stopping SG and a bunch of perimeter players who don't play defense for another.

I said it back during his free agency and got laughed at because the Wizards still sucked at that point, but Dwight should have gone to DC. His game was never suited to the running and gunning Western Conference style. He needed to find a situation with a defense first coach that was willing to slow it down and grind out possessions, a PG that could facilitate him, and a bunch of solid 3 and D wings. The Wizards could have offered him that, and he would have had a fairly easy path to the conference finals.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Would you trade Gortat for Dwight? I think that is Washington's only real power move available. On one hand, I think it would help our team tremendously. He would fix our defensive and rebounding woes almost single-handedly. You also get Marcin's contract off the books. He has played as well as he always plays, and it just doesnt really transfer into wins. Wall needs a defensive and rebounding 5 more than an offensive 5. With his contract off the books next year, the only players signed on will be Wall, Porter, Oubre, Humphries, and somehow both Gooden and Blair. That leaves a ton of money on the table to throw at Beal, Durant, Howard/Horford/Pachulia/Bismack/Leonard?

I don't know if I trade Gortat for Howard. But I do know Houston would ask for a lot more in return than Gortat. They would want a young player or our draft pick. Reason being they can use the fifth year they get from keeping Howard's rights for themselves to sign him long term. Howard is at the point in his career where he's not going to take one and one deals like other superstars. He's going to want as big a contract as he can get this time around because he's aging and declining so fast.

That factor is scary no doubt. There is zero chance the final two years of a five year 30+ million per deal for Howard are anything but an extremely burdensome mess. He'll be a shell of himself by then. And the third year probably won't be pretty either. So I think you're taking a two year swing with him, hoping to build a true contender while the cap stays sky high. That timeline doesn't really make sense for the Wizards. They'd only be willing to enter it out of desperation.

The other thing is Howard doesn't single-handedly fix your defense. If he did, Houston's defense wouldn't have been **** while he's been there.

Also Gortat's contract is outstanding. He is not the kind of salary you're trying to get off the books, and at the return of a two month rental in a likely lottery season. He's a good starting C signed long term for ****ing peanuts. His contract is one of the only serious assets aside from John Wall's that the Wizards have going for them. A result of the luck of signing him the summer before people learned the cap was about to nearly double.

BUUUUUUUUT...

Let's say we got it done for just Gortat, salary trade ballast, and a draft pick.

A healthy Wall/Beal/Dwight trio with role players like Dudley, Neal, Sessions, Porter, Hump, and Anderson filling out a playoff rotation would make an easy recovery and run to the seventh seed or better, and it would destroy Toronto in the first round again. And any of the other potential EC match ups aside from Cleveland for that matter. That team makes the conference finals.

But I don't know that it ever goes further than that.

Well, our defensive issues stem 100% from our front court. Wall and Beal are great man-man defenders ( when motivated), and Porter is our best versatile defender. His role should be more free safety of the defense, rather than Wall. I think Howard would shore up the front court defensive and rebounding woes. But... would absolutely not trade a first or any of our young guys for him.

In other news, I think Detroit's move for Harris is a good one. Where as Orlando seems to be shuffling chairs by trading out both Harris and Frye for 1 year rentals.

So we got rid of PJ (to Memphis) and Roberts (to Miami) and got Courtney Lee in a three way trade.  Ticked off about MKG getting hurt again and out for the rest of the season (again), but I like the trade, he should be an upgrade on defense and a few more ppg than PJ was contributing this year.

Read a rumor, though a long shot that they were interested in Howard, that would be a horrible decision.  Edit:  Looks like they made an offer and it got rejected by Houston.

Also read a rumor of Blake Griffin to the Cavs.  Anyone heard anything about that one?  Or is that squashed yet?

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro