Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

13 hours ago, StillUnknown said:
he's never gonna slow down is he?

He has slowed down.  That's what a slower version of Lebron looks like.  His DNA needs to be stored in a vault somewhere until we advance enough to unlock all of it's secrets. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2017 at 1:18 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

LeBron is an alien. If he wants to come to your team, you throw a parade in gratitude. That applies to every team in the NBA

Yep, your team would get the benefit of being the NBA finals loser. Because that’s all lebron can do against the Warriors for the next two years. 

If I had been Jay Triano and witnessed that moment, I would have walked off the court.  Walked through the tunnel, walked out of the arena, and kept going until I was back in Canada.  I'd give up basketball for good and teach high school math or something.

If I were Adam Silver, I'd go to Sarver and say either I take over this franchise or you're getting contracted.

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The real MVP has been averaging 34 ppg since he got paired up with a fellow All-Star.

WWII has been over for awhile now, soldier. You lost the war, but you can still be proud of your valiant effort in defeat.

Follow me out of the jungle. It's time to come home.

I'm convinced that NBA defense, is 60% knowing where you're supposed to be and when, 20% effort, and 20% is individual ability.  There are a ton of NBA players with ridiculous athletic ability that simply do not defend worth a damn.  Conversely NBA benches are filled with try-hards that are very effective defenders. 

• Like 1

The first and third guys blaming Towns in those tweets are wrong, those plays don't look like Towns's fault.  Can't tell who ****ed up in the first because the gif starts halfway through the action, but Jeff Teague is running behind Lou Williams so probably him.  Gibson switched on what I assume was a Jordan high ball PnR instead of hedging and recovering.  That suggests to me that Teague is supposed to complete the switch and drop off on Jordan and front him to cut off the passing lane, or else Gibson is supposed to recover after hedging.  Whichever it was, the mistake left Towns guarding two and KAT chose to try and close out on the skip pass to the open 40% three pt shooter in the corner.  Also, Lou Williams makes the entry pass right through Wiggins's hands, he has got to prevent that pass penetration.  It's hard to play defense as a big when your perimeter players hang you out to dry like that.

The third gif is Gibson's fault.  Butler did a good job staying in front of the LA player, who was driving into the sideline.  Gibson should not have abandoned Jordan to help out.  Expecting Towns to leave his man in the corner and front DeAndre Jordan on an alley-oop is a ****ing joke.  The absolute best you can hope for there is a weakside hard foul that causes him to miss the dunk, but Jordan is one of the best power finishers in the NBA.

That is correct.  You never, ever, front DeAndre Jordan anyway.  90% of his offense is Oops and fastbreak dunks.  The good teams just stay between him and the basket because he has no moves, and can't reliably score from more than 4 feet away even if there has been a switch and the defender is a foot shorter than he is.  

23 minutes ago, Predicto said:

That is correct.  You never, ever, front DeAndre Jordan anyway.  90% of his offense is Oops and fastbreak dunks.  The good teams just stay between him and the basket because he has no moves, and can't reliably score from more than 4 feet away even if there has been a switch and the defender is a foot shorter than he is.  

Can you give me an honest opinion and and scouting report on DJ?  The Wizards are rumored to be in talks for trading for him and I want to know if this is a good idea for us.  Right now I'm all for it but I don't know if this is a devil you don't know situation.  Do you think it'd be a good move for us to trade for him?  We have major defensive issues at the C position.

I think the first one was a mistake by Towns, and a big one.  You don't leave a big at the basket against a driving guard unless it's to protect the rim.  You give up a corner three (where other defenders are closer and should contest it) over a 100% dunk every single time.   

The second looks like poor communication.  Butler could have gone over that screen or denied the screen.  Towns could have hedged.  The two weren't on the same page and reacted to a PnR differently.  Thibs like to ice screens so Towns very well could have been hanging back intentionally.  I don't know what was supposed to happen, so I can't say who messed up.  

The third is Gibson's fault. He went to help when help wasn't needed and gave up an easy shot at the rim.  Towns could have done more than nothing, but it would have likely resulted in a foul.  You have to stop Jordan from getting into that position in the first place, once he's there you're cooked.  I don't know how many fouls Towns had at the time which could explain his passivity.  

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think the first one was a mistake by Towns, you don't leave a big at the basket against a driving guard unless it's to protect the rim.  You give up a corner three (where other defenders are closer and should contest it) over a 100% dunk every single time.   

First one has got to be a broken switch.  If Gibson was supposed to switch then Teague's job is to dropoff and close the passing lane.  He was out of position, chasing behind Lou Williams.  If Gibson was supposed to just hedge and recover then he messed up by switching onto Williams.  My guess is that Teague screwed up the switch.  Towns chose the wrong guy but he was put in an impossible situation having to choose between leaving a good three ball shooter open in the corner as the ball handler is driving towards him or DeAndre Jordan in deep position.  Only the best defensive players in the NBA are going to successfully clean up those mistakes from their teammates.

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

the first one is 100% Towns fault, as is the 3rd

No they're not.

Edited by stevemcqueen1