Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Sounds like Mark Jackson was too religious for some people.

Me personally I'd just gloss over that because in the end he won you games. He did a good job. Anyway it's not like there arne't any good coaches out there. Karl and Hollins are out there

He won three less games than the Heat this season despite being in the much more competitive western conference. However Predicto watches that team and if he thinks the coach was a problem he'd know better than us. Think about how many absurd stories we've read about the redskins and wizards from national media types pretending to know what they are talking about. Like when John Wall was labeled a shoot first point guard by skippy. Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Sounds like Mark Jackson was too religious for some people. 

Me personally I'd just gloss over that because in the end he won you games. He did a good job. Anyway it's not like there arne't any good coaches out there. Karl and Hollins are out there

I don't think his religion had anything to do with it.  He mostly won games because the front office suddenly acquired a lot of talented players.  

No way are they hiring George Karl with Igoudala on the team.  Hollins maybe.  Or Stan Van Gundy.  Or Steve Kerr (although I'm not sure why everyone suddenly is sure Steve Kerr knows how to coach)

Jackson's players liked him but he didn't get along with anyone BUT the players, especially not assistant coaches.  And like I said, his Xs and Os were bad, but he apparently got mad at anyone who questioned his Xs and Os.   He also was afraid that his assistants or the front office were going to try and steal all the credit for themselves that should go to Jackson.  Jackson apparently refused to even speak to his assistant Brian Scalabrine for over a month because Scalabrine questioned whether Jackson's player rotations were working.  Then he fired him at a practice, in front of the team.

My favorite basketball writer, Grantland's Zach Lowe, had a good piece on Jackson's dismissal.

I first interviewed Mark Jackson about 20 games into last season for a piece about Golden State’s massive improvement on defense. Jackson went out of his way to point out, unsolicited and on the record, that it would be wrong to publicly credit any single assistant coach for the team’s transformation.

It was a weird thing to say unprompted, my first window into Jackson’s personality —  a strange brew of braggadocio, inspiration, and insecurity. That personality ultimately cost Jackson his job in Golden State despite a near-unprecedented run of on-court success for one of the league’s sad-sack franchises. There were some on-court issues, but Jackson and his staff did a nice job with this roster. They are gone mostly because the environment in Golden State became toxic.

As I wrote last week, Jackson demoted Brian Scalabrine, an assistant coach, to the D-League after initially firing him without cause in front of players. The team fired another assistant, Darren Erman, after learning he had been secretly recording conversations Jackson had with other coaches. Erman was concerned Jackson was bad-mouthing him behind his back, multiple sources have said, and poisoning his relationship with players. The team changed the location of Erman’s parking spot without warning, sources say. Jackson also made it known he preferred that Jerry West, a senior adviser to the Warriors, stay away from practices....

The offense had some hiccups, and any team with this level of passing and shooting should rank better than 12th in points per possession. This team didn’t quite reach its ceiling, and the team concluded Jackson wasn’t the right guy to push that ceiling higher.

The Dubs were sometimes careless with the ball, though they cleaned that up as the season went on. Their offense lacked continuity; opposing defenses that snuffed out the first option could count on the Warriors devolving into a vapid isolation play over the last 12 seconds of the shot clock. The team chased mismatches on the block like an addict, chucking the ball to so-so post-up players and asking them to back down into uncomfortable fadeaway shots....

The next coach just has to mold the talent toward a more cohesive, cooperative offense. The materials are there; these are refined players with some exquisite skill sets. 

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mark-jackson-fired-golden-state-warriors/

The article has some compliments for Jackson too, but I just put in the main negative points.

Edited by Predicto

Lol I bet if I went and watched Space Jam again I'd be depressed at how dated (and still awesome) everything is. I haven't watched that movie in a very long time.

I still listen to that epic joint Hit 'Em High by Method Man, LL, B Real, Busta, and Coolio. I would play that at every player intro from now until the end of eternity.

I barely remember the movie but the two songs from that soundtrack are off the hook and yes I'm including I Believe I Can Fly.

Portland doesn't look like they belong on the same court with San Antonio through 6 quarters. The Spurs just hung 41 points on them in a single quarter (2nd).

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I don't think I've ever seen a sweep where each game was won by 15+ points, but I think I am about to. The Blazers are just severly outmatched. I hope they can at least still one at home, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Portland doesn't look like they belong on the same court with San Antonio through 6 quarters. The Spurs just hung 41 points on them in a single quarter (2nd).

I didn't expet them to get smoked like that again. They are probably done.

Miami has a real chance to go Fo Fo Fo, don't they? I think I predicted that last year out of fun, but this is like rec league for them now.

I didn't expet them to get smoked like that again. They are probably done.

Miami has a real chance to go Fo Fo Fo, don't they? I think I predicted that last year out of fun, but this is like rec league for them now.

I honestly thought, I promise this is not the homer in me, but I honestly thought the Wizards were the only team that could give the Heat some go when the playoffs started. But now, I don't know. Unless Indy get's their act together, they might pull off a sweep til the finals. 

Outside of Lavi, who are coaches w/ a SC pedigree that are available?  Mike Keenan?  No thanks. 

Trotz, if hired, WILL make either Carlson or Alzner elite.  If the chatter is true about him giving up the offense to an assistant, there may be hope with the potentil hire.  In addition, he does have a history with the franchise, so there's that connection. 

While I agree with you, I think you might be in the wrong thread sir. lol