Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I think that article is wrong.  His rebound stat padding does mildly hurt the team.  You start the break faster if the PG leaks out instead of trolling for rebounds and the big outlets the ball to him.  The Wizards are good at this.  It's fluid when the bigs know where the PG is going to be when they turn around after pulling the rebound like Gortat does.  And it's way faster than when John gets the rebound himself.  You just have to work on it to develop that chemistry, it's not hard.  And when Westbrook crashes the offensive glass instead of getting back on defense he makes it easier for opposing teams to run fast breaks on the Thunder.  That's not good basketball.  A guard's job is to get up court in transition.

It's not a huge issue.  The much bigger issue is how much of a chucker Westbrook still is.  He wastes a ton of possessions trying dumb crap.  But he's relentless and he's the ultimate competitor and he produces so many points with his scoring and assisting that you happily take the bad with all of the good he does.  One of the greatest things about him is that he can crap up an embarrassing brick or turnover on one possession that would make anyone else in the world sheepish and hesitant, but instead he comes right down the next two possessions and drains two pull up jumpers in a row.  He never gets discouraged and never quits.

You guys peep the defense Pat Beverley played on Westbrook last night?  Dude was 2-12 with Beverley on him.  Dude is a dog out there, man. 

Also, that last possession by the Thunder killed me to watch.  Just look at how many guys are standing around.  Recipe for disaster, especially considering how well Bev was defending Russ all night.  Russ did all of that just to throw up some junk. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yeah, I watched most of that game.  Beverly wanted it bad last night...and he took it.

Need the basketball Gods to bless us with a 4/5 Rockets/Thunder matchup in the playoffs. 

D'Antoni has been AMAZING for that Rockets team.  Wanted him here in DC... :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

You guys peep the defense Pat Beverley played on Westbrook last night?  Dude was 2-12 with Beverley on him.  Dude is a dog out there, man. 

Also, that last possession by the Thunder killed me to watch.  Just look at how many guys are standing around.  Recipe for disaster, especially considering how well Bev was defending Russ all night.  Russ did all of that just to throw up some junk. 

He back to being the best defensive point guard in the game.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think that article is wrong.  His rebound stat padding does mildly hurt the team.  You start the break faster if the PG leaks out instead of trolling for rebounds and the big outlets the ball to him.  The Wizards are good at this.  It's fluid when the bigs know where the PG is going to be when they turn around after pulling the rebound like Gortat does.  And it's way faster than when John gets the rebound himself.  You just have to work on it to develop that chemistry, it's not hard.  And when Westbrook crashes the offensive glass instead of getting back on defense he makes it easier for opposing teams to run fast breaks on the Thunder.  That's not good basketball.  A guard's job is to get up court in transition.

It's not a huge issue.  The much bigger issue is how much of a chucker Westbrook still is.  He wastes a ton of possessions trying dumb crap.  But he's relentless and he's the ultimate competitor and he produces so many points with his scoring and assisting that you happily take the bad with all of the good he does.  One of the greatest things about him is that he can crap up an embarrassing brick or turnover on one possession that would make anyone else in the world sheepish and hesitant, but instead he comes right down the next two possessions and drains two pull up jumpers in a row.  He never gets discouraged and never quits.

Westbrook loitering for rebounds leads to him playing poor defense. He is an awful defender and that doesn't get talked about enough.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Westbrook loitering for rebounds leads to him playing poor defense. He is an awful defender and that doesn't get talked about enough.

That's a good point too.  Awful is harsh though.  He seems to do a good job fighting through screens and hanging with the ball handler.  And as a team OKC defends well so he's not killing them.  They're ranked 6th in team DRtg right now.

I don't know if I read it (a while back) or saw someone talking about it on tv, but they were saying that Westbrook expends SO much energy on the offensive end of the floor, that he often is lackadaisical on defense as a result.  I think the rest of the starting 5 can make up for his deficiencies.  Much like how Chicago was a good defensive unit with Boozer getting heavy minutes. 

This is a fascinating read.  Great footwork will keep guys playing at a high level in this league in their mid/late 30's.  Check the article...some great clips.  I never realized how good Derozan's feet were on the offensive end.  On top of it all, there's a cool clip of him backing down Steph Curry for an easy 2.  SUCH a discrepancy in strength.  There is SO much truth in this:

Footwork can be the enhancer that turns “good” into “great.” It can turn All-Stars into legends.

Let Me See Some Footwork

It takes years to master and countless hours of practice, but footwork can be the difference between “good” and “great” in the NBA. Giannis, DeMar, coaches, and trainers talk about the art and science of this fundamental basketball skill.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 2:16 PM, RonArtest15 said:

This is a fascinating read.  Great footwork will keep guys playing at a high level in this league in their mid/late 30's.  Check the article...some great clips.  I never realized how good Derozan's feet were on the offensive end.  On top of it all, there's a cool clip of him backing down Steph Curry for an easy 2.  SUCH a discrepancy in strength.  There is SO much truth in this:

Let Me See Some Footwork

It takes years to master and countless hours of practice, but footwork can be the difference between “good” and “great” in the NBA. Giannis, DeMar, coaches, and trainers talk about the art and science of this fundamental basketball skill.

Kobe, Dirk, and many others.

Lebron's footwork has improved a lot too.

Its why Embiid is so exciting to me. His footwork is special.