Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Not terrible but the Thunder are preparing themselves to let Jackson leave. I can't imagine Waiters really improving enough to cover for Jackson leaving next year. Still cheap ownership.

Isn't Waiters a shooting guard? I'm not sure why people think that move is for next year. The Thunder are trying to win a title this year. Waiters gives them points from the SG position and they gave up nothing to get it.

Edited by Destino

Isn't Waiters a shooting guard? I'm not sure why people think that move is for next year. The Thunder are trying to win a title this year. Waiters gives them points from the SG position and they gave up nothing to get it.

I'm basing off of the track record of the organization. Jackson is gone after this year. I just find it hard to believe that Waiters is guy you bank on to add points.

I mean that's all he can really do

Yeah, I get you. But I guess the question is can he and Jackson share the ball? Playing with a ball dominant point killed his value in Cleveland and now he goes to a team that has two ball dominant points.

I'm skeptical this works on any level but financially for OKC.

So the Cavs..

They aren't good. Even at full strength

Honestly, I don't understand what the Cavs are thinking with Kyrie Irving. How many score first point guards that are a first or second option have ever lead their team to a NBA title? It almost never happens. Maybe GS wins it this year, but even Curry is 6th in the league in assists at 7.8. Even Russell Westbrook is over 7 assists for 11th in the league.

Cleveland is a four player team essentially. And their big three don't know how to play together and their skill sets don't seem to fit all that well. LeBron and Kyrie are a poor pairing offensively, and Kyrie and Love are just disasters on defense.

It's going to take another offseason (at least) to get that roster balanced to where they can play good basketball. Called it. For starters, they need Larry Sanders bad, but they can't really afford him, nor does he seem to want to play basketball any more.

The Varejao contract remains a huge barrier to their future ability to pay for a quality starting C. Given that LeBron and Love are on one year deals, their future foundation is pretty tenuous too.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Thinking about it, I don't like this deal for Cleveland. JR Smith's option for next season is for 6.4 million. They better hope he opts out of that because he hates Cleveland, because the guy is a walking, chucking negative. Subtraction by addition and I am pretty confident he's going to make them worse if he plays.

Shumpert could be a nice fit, if they can keep him. But now you're in a situation where they've got a lot of contract situations for players they'd want to keep up in the air this summer and someone could offer him a decent contract and Cleveland couldn't match without totally ruining their cap flexibility for years moving forward.

The draft pick is alright, but it's going to probably end up being a late first rounder in the '16 draft.

Basically they dumped Waiters off for one year rentals of role playing wings in a year where they don't have a realistic shot at a title.

For the Knicks, the deal is meh. It achieved what they wanted--dump off two players that didn't fit, one of whom was a cancer and a crappy salary commitment for next season. If Melo sits for the rest of the year, their tanking effort will be complete.

Thinking about it, I actually like the Knicks as a landing spot for Jahlil Okafor. If I were them, I'd friggin trade Melo if I had to in order to make sure I got him.

And then for the Thunder they gave up next to nothing to experiment with Waiters. I don't think he'll amount to much there, but who knows? How this deal could end up sucking for them is if a late first round draft day gem ends up being available at where they would have picked and Waiters turns into a serious locker room cancer. Those things probably won't happen. But the threat that they could happen would have been enough to keep me from pulling the trigger on the deal if I were OKC.

BTW, I love how emblematic that game is of Kevin Love: Essentially a 30-20 game in a loss to one of the worst NBA teams ever assembled.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Okafor isn't a guarantee...I think we all remember the Celtics' tank during Duncan's draft year.  Ended up with Mercer and Billups.  I'm seriously going to laugh my *** off if the Knicks end up with the #4 pick after everything they have done. 

As far as the trade last night, the Knicks did the best out of all the teams.  They got rid of malcontent in Smith and also dumped SHump, who was EXTREMELY overvalued.  They brought in contracts that will be off the books, so in essence, Phil cleared out more cap space.  Not sure what they're going to do with it, but they will be in a good positon to make runs at a bunch of different players after this year. 

Okafor isn't a guarantee...I think we all remember the Celtics' tank during Duncan's draft year.  Ended up with Mercer and Billups.  I'm seriously going to laugh my *** off if the Knicks end up with the #4 pick after everything they have done. 

As far as the trade last night, the Knicks did the best out of all the teams.  They got rid of malcontent in Smith and also dumped SHump, who was EXTREMELY overvalued.  They brought in contracts that will be off the books, so in essence, Phil cleared out more cap space.  Not sure what they're going to do with it, but they will be in a good positon to make runs at a bunch of different players after this year.

Yeah tanking is no guarantee, that's for sure. But if I did end up picking third or fourth, I would trade Melo to move up to 1 and take Okafor if I were Phil. Assuming that would be possible anyway. I think Okafor could be a really nice fit in the triangle system.

This is a good big man year IMO. Now is the time for the Knicks to snag one to build around. If not Okafor, then I like Myles Turner out of Texas. Very reminiscent of LaMarcus Aldridge. And the Kentucky bigs could be really useful building blocks too, though I'm not sure they've got the offensive skill to be foundation pieces.

Here's a question, would Emmanuel Mudiay be a good fit for the triangle? He's not a shooter but he's a big creative ball handler. Perhaps more on the James Harden side of the spectrum than Kobe Bryant. Is his crapy shooting too much of a barrier to playing SG, particularly in a triangle system? Keep in mind, the Knicks do have Jose Calderon to run point, who seems very well suited to the system. Although he's so much older, he shouldn't really factor in whoever they draft.

Ultimately, I'd try and make sure I got Okafor if I were them. I think they need him more than any of the other tanking teams. Philly couldn't even really use him.

Also wanted to say that, after watching them last night, there is no way that New Orleans team is going to beat out OKC or Phoenix for a playoff spot. They're not that great. They've got lots of talent, but all of the parts don't quite fit together yet and they don't really know how to play winning basketball. They don't have a well-functioning half court offense and they really didn't look good against an opponent that can pair size with skill like the Wizards.

Also also, Chicago and Atlanta are killing it. Each 9-1 in their last 10. Chicago's meeting preseason expectations and it feels like they're going to approach 60 wins, maybe top that mark.

Atlanta is such a surprise. They're this years Pacers? Hopefully they slow down over the second half too.

Yeah NO isn't anything special. But Ant is monster

Also the Hawks really may be the 04 Pistons.

I wouldn't go that far about Atlanta. As well as they're playing, I'm still not totally buying into them as a serious playoff contender. I guess they're going to have to rip off a postseason run to convince me. I'm going to be the last one on that bandwagon.

Yo, Kyrie and CP3, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but I just got to say Steph Curry has the best handle in the NBA

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/1/5/7498729/stephen-curry-burns-the-thunder-with-a-super-fast-dribble-through-the/in/7261004

There are very few players that can pull that off. Much better highlight than the usual, and boring, alley oop.