Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RT: PETA killed 90 percent of adopted animals

AsburySkinsFan

I'll agree that PETA employs some incredibly tasteless as well as self-righteous tactics. Their lobbying for ethical treatment of shellfish just seems downright silly to me (of course I love King Crab so that gambit is never gonna win me over). Many of their crew seem like the worst kinds of attention whores. I however think there are much worse people out there and I don't see at all how they " ultimately do more harm than good."

I'd rather direct my scorn at the people out there who never fix their animals as well as the vermin who run puppy mills purely to make quick cash and are the root cause for shelters being flooded with doomed animals. I don't think the people who work for PETA or at the animal shelters are in any measure enjoying putting these animals down.

II however think there are much worse people out there and I don't see at all how they " ultimately do more harm than good."

If their shelters did not exist then 60% more of those animals could be adopted out. So they managed to find a way to adopt out 44 animals last year....well geee that's less than one per week. Meanwhile they are killing thousands all while they are fighting for ethical treatment for those animals. The ethical thing would be to euthanize their shelters out of business.

http://newswithviews.com/DeWeese/tom186.htm

Here’s another issue that is decided with the mentality of a little girl who just likes fluffy animals. The Animal Rights movement is one of the most violent of the nation. It plays on the heartstrings of emotional children, like actress Pam Anderson, where reason and knowledge give way to raw emotion. Most people take up the animal rights cause because they care about the “welfare” of the animals. Few want to see animals suffer and they want something done when it happens. But animal welfare and animal protection have nothing to do with the animal rights movement. Frankly, it’s too nuts to explain rationally. So, here, let them tell you in their own words. TD

They Oppose Pet Ownership

“Pet Ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.” — Ingrid Newkirk, PeTA

“(Pets) are slaves, even if well-kept slaves.” — PeTA’s Statement on Companion Animals An Anti-Human Philosophy

“I don’t believe that people have the right to life. That’s a supremacist perversion. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy.” — Ingrid Newkirk, co-founder and national director of PeTA

I don't care what the percentages are, there are too many domesticated animals that are born that shouldn't be and too many people throwing their pets away.

Example: My Mom had a German Sheppard when we were kids to teenagers. Then 20 years later she decided she wanted another dog. She has a Lab mix that is 9 years old. She's doesn't really want to take care of the dog anymore and the dog has become a burden. But luckily, she can't/won't take her to the pound but I know she can't wait for the dog to pass. Her dog is a rescue dog.

People have to realize that taking on a pet is at least a 10 year committment or more. That's why I'll never have another pet again, not even a goldfish. I had them growing up, but they are a big pain in the ass to me.

just curious- how is owning a pet a pain in the ass? do you mean having to take them out to pee? i admit, when its freezing out like it was this morning, i dont feel like taking my dogs out, but i have to.

you mean you had medical bills? dogs that would chew up your shoes?

Extremely inappropriate and immature.

If you have an issue, please keep it to yourself and don't try to antagonize people who have a conscience and are actually capable of empathy.

You may want to take a gander at the Owned thread, since it contains approximately 140,756,391 jokes about killing people.

Doesn't bother me though. You know, lack of conscience and empathy and whatnot.

just curious- how is owning a pet a pain in the ass? do you mean having to take them out to pee? i admit, when its freezing out like it was this morning, i dont feel like taking my dogs out, but i have to.

If the pet is good, it's not a pain in the ass, if he's like my dog it is.

All of the above. I mean are you really going to chatise me for not wanting to own a pet? I don't want the cost of feeding them, the aggrevation of letting them out/walking them, I don't want extra medical bills and I don't want the mess that goes with them. Plus, if you have to travel, you have to board them or take care of them. No thanks. They ARE a pain in the ass to me, but to others they aren't and that's their choice. We had all kinds of pets growing up and as a kid, that was fine, but at 45 years old they are an extreme hassle and thank god my wife doesn't care to have any either.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2013 at 01:19 PM ----------

If the pet is good, it's not a pain in the ass, if he's like my dog it is.

Even good pets have "accidents" every once in a while on the carpet or floor. But hey, I understand some people are pet lovers, but I'm not. My advice to the pet lovers is, take in as many as you want, because I don't have to take care of them. But don't let them **** or piss in my yard. I don't want to have to clean up ****.

Written earlier today....

My views first: I join those who have no use for PETA but find this particular attack misplaced in ways others have already articulated.

And now, some business:

Lighten up dude, he was just trying to be funny.

You don't know that, you presume that (and of course I think so too, though there may easily be truth in the poster's mind behind the humor). However, ASF does not need to lighten up as it also could easily be determined to be trolling the thread as two complaints (from members not posting) reported it to be. No action being taken, mainly because of C, B & M's absence of such issues to date and relatively clean record), but I'd consider it food for thought.

Botched: the Owned thread is exactly the kind of place for whatever jokes (within the rules) appear there---it's not a valid comparison. One makes jokes at times in topical thread with certain risks depending on the nature of the joke and context (as with any post). In this case, part of the context is C B & M's history as a poster. Another poster with a different history (for instance) could have been looking at time off. make no mistake, though, I know where you're coming from and my personal take is much the same (my profession calls for an absence of empathy :pfft:).

in closing, i point out that such type of jokes are not helpful to what's intended to be a serious conversation, nor are they simply of a "humorous relief" nature (note the underlined word).

probably can't find enough ethical adopters.....death is preferable to impurity(or feeding and caring for them)

probably a large crossover to those that support exterminating humans for their own good

twa, regretfully amigo i'm now instructing you to cease fitting your abortion views (i don't care to hear any justification based on the importance of the issue to you--you are not special) into every topic you can when mood strikes. it basically becomes trolling (however impotent) as well as repeatedly deliberate OT potential derails and it's tiresome to the point where if you need to take a break, just let me know. from now on post your views on that topic only in thread discussing that topic. and i don't mean bumping old threads to try an end-around or gratuitously starting new ones. the appearance of such new behavior now will be interpreted as obvious opposition to this directive. if you feel you need to "take a stand" by being stubborn (or "principled"), i'll understand and will respond accordingly.

the exterminating humans for their own good/greater good was in reference to Peta officials own equating all life equal.

they clearly do not mind ending it,just as some of the Green crowd endorse reducing the human population for the greater good.

the exterminating humans for their own good/greater good was in reference to Peta officials own equating all life equal.

they clearly do not mind ending it,just as some of the Green crowd endorse reducing the human population for the greater good.

Yeah, I didn't read your statements as abortion comments, listening to the PeTA extremists I get the sense that they do care more about animal life than they do human life.

my bad then on misinterpretation. nonetheless, what i posted stands. my error is in that it was long overdue, and that's on me. just as with another fine poster who was once notified that attempts to bring an "aggressive atheist" agenda into too many threads where it was OT (and he's changed that behavior) needed to cease, this is simply the same. if someone wants to use the tailgate as a venue for a specific soapbox (along with whatever else they do here) that's generally fine, as long as it's done within our rules and guidelines. again, the fault is mine for being knowingly lax on this matter for quite some time. it hasn't been fair to you or others.

as with most such posts, i put all this out there not to make a member uncomfortable with such a spotlight, but for edification of all who read.

i now return back to topic.

did i mention that POV wise, I can't stand PETA? :)

and I am way overdue for a dog. been too long.

Yeah, I didn't read your statements as abortion comments, listening to the PeTA extremists I get the sense that they do care more about animal life than they do human life.

Not to egg the devs on, but I didn't see it as abortion related either - probably because I have a former acquaintance that supports PETA, and is on the record for saying that he "hopes that most of humanity dies off during his lifetime, for the sake of the planet and the animals".

Needless to say, this former acquaintance found himself unemployed shortly after uttering that gem, for which I and his fellow co workers are eternally thankful.

The problem with PETA is the same as all the other big organizations. When something gets as big, rich, powerful, and influential as they are, the crazies will take it over. It's an endless cycle of power and corruption. There's an irony to human nature there. I don't think it has anything to do with animal lovers at all. The NRA for example, you won't find a more pro-gun guy than me, but I'm not a member of the NRA....because they often go to ridiculous measures. The same goes for PETA...you get stupid quotes like "Breeders kill sheltered animals" and such. It's not an unknown fact (or often argued fact for that matter) that domesticated pets are way overpopulated, that not enough pets are neutered, and that there are too many irresponsible breeders looking to make a buck. However, it's also pure logic to realize that breeders MUST exist. They are necessary. It's not about "purity"...all dogs out there right now are "mutts" of some sort. Without responsible breeders, you would see a dramatic increase in genetic issues, health problems, and a decrease in the general "usefulness" of domesticated animals (I'm referring to people like me who live on a farm and use their dogs for work, though I have a "rescue" of a sort, myself). In the end, like most things, it all goes back to humans and the masses irresponsibility of parenthood to both their children AND animals. If you aren't a responsible breeder who does it as a full time job and research your bloodlines,etc...then you need to either neuter/spay your pets or you need to take special precautions to insure they do not breed. And let's be honest, there's no reason to become a breeder in today's world. There are more than enough.

But now I'm starting to derail the post here. The point is, PETA should be gone, and this is just another example of why. They're to the point that starting over is the only remedy to their hypocrisy and corruption.

I'm not at all a fan of PETA, but I bet there is more to this story.

I'm also not a fan of the knee-jerk "all animal rights people are wild eyed violent sociopaths who want to exterminate humans and we should eat a lot more animals just to spite them" nonsense either.

Too many people are confusing "South Park" with reality these days.

This story is 15 years old, they are much higher animal killers than the average...by 60%, they don't dispute this and their reasons don't come close to compensating for the 60% differential. I mean honestly, if you take a community without a PeTA shelter (if PeTA is taking in all the really bad pets as they suggest) then wouldn't those pets go to the normal shelters, if so why is the national average 34%? Either PeTA really sucks at running shelters or they are doing something really different than the norm.

After getting the bill for my dog's surgery yesterday, I'm about the euthanize myself.

I'm also not a fan of the knee-jerk "all animal rights people are wild eyed violent sociopaths who want to exterminate humans and we should eat a lot more animals just to spite them" nonsense either.

Too many people are confusing "South Park" with reality these days.

These are my thoughts on this whole thing. Unfortunately, while I don't think those whackos consitute the majority of PETA's membership, they certainly do a major disservice to PETA's cause.

This story is 15 years old, they are much higher animal killers than the average...by 60%, they don't dispute this and their reasons don't come close to compensating for the 60% differential. I mean honestly, if you take a community without a PeTA shelter (if PeTA is taking in all the really bad pets as they suggest) then wouldn't those pets go to the normal shelters, if so why is the national average 34%? Either PeTA really sucks at running shelters or they are doing something really different than the norm.

one possibility is their program for more humane euthanization , if they formally adopt/take custody of the already condemned ,it could inflate the numbers (one that would be reflected in the shelter's numbers they take them from)

anyone know?....the numbers still seem rather high unless they are primarily dealing in execution

Archived