Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RT: PETA killed 90 percent of adopted animals

AsburySkinsFan

one possibility is their program for more humane euthanization , if they formally adopt/take custody of the already condemned ,it could inflate the numbers (one that would be reflected in the shelter's numbers they take them from)

anyone know?....the numbers still seem rather high unless they are primarily dealing in execution.

I agree that could account for the increase, however the national average would have to be much higher since PeTA doesn't have many shelters why aren't the national numbers significantly higher? These "unadoptable" pets have to end up in non-PeTA shelters where there is no PeTA presence. So what accounts for the dramatic increase?

There is a ton of disinformation in this thread and even more ignorance and arrogance, described as humor in this thread.

I don't like PETA, because they are anti pitbull. That kills me. However, ASF, I have no idea why you seem to have such a personal agenda against them.

Yes, their kill rate is absurd and the percentages you continually parrot are real, but they take in a ton of bad cases of dogs and cats that can never be rehomed. They are not the SPCA or a private rescue who has unlimited space to let previously mistreated animals live long lives.

Keep in mind the SPCA, despite their much improved non kill numbers, still kill 3/4 million dogs and 16 million cats a year, because people are irresponsible and there just isn't the money, concern or the room for them.

---------- Post added March-23rd-2013 at 02:00 AM ----------

This story is 15 years old, they are much higher animal killers than the average...by 60%, they don't dispute this and their reasons don't come close to compensating for the 60% differential. I mean honestly, if you take a community without a PeTA shelter (if PeTA is taking in all the really bad pets as they suggest) then wouldn't those pets go to the normal shelters, if so why is the national average 34%? Either PeTA really sucks at running shelters or they are doing something really different than the norm.
You have no idea about what goes on at regular shelters. You have no idea how bad things are. Start volunteering at an animal shelter and you'll begin to get it. Do you have any idea what the percentage of bunnys and chicks that will be killed a week after Easter is? Most of the vets I know say about 20+, with more in the weeks after.

PETA goes out of their way to make the media, I agree. Watch a documentary called Earthlings and then tell me how everything isn't bad enough for people to be extreme. Animals need to be helped, not hurt.

I don't like PETA, because they are anti pitbull. That kills me. However, ASF, I have no idea why you seem to have such a personal agenda against them.

One thread and now I have an agenda....ok.

Yes, their kill rate is absurd and the percentages you continually parrot are real, but they take in a ton of bad cases of dogs and cats that can never be rehomed. They are not the SPCA or a private rescue who has unlimited space to let previously mistreated animals live long lives.

Yes, and EVERY other shelter gets those same animals...BTW county shelters, no-kill shelters not even the SPCA don't have unlimited space either, they don't have some inter-dimensional wormhole that they store pets in...so I'm not sure if you expect me to believe what you just wrote.

Keep in mind the SPCA, despite their much improved non kill numbers, still kill 3/4 million dogs and 16 million cats a year, because people are irresponsible and there just isn't the money, concern or the room for them.

Yes, those numbers are nationwide totals and their kill rate is STILL 34%, if they had PeTA's record that number would be near 1.5 million dogs and 45 million cats.

You have no idea about what goes on at regular shelters. You have no idea how bad things are. Start volunteering at an animal shelter and you'll begin to get it. Do you have any idea what the percentage of bunnys and chicks that will be killed a week after Easter is? Most of the vets I know say about 20+, with more in the weeks after.

I have volunteered at a shelter before...well actually it was community service when I was much much younger. And yes, I am familiar with the number of bunnies and chicks after easter, but then again that is a culture problem...not just a PeTA problem.

PETA goes out of their way to make the media, I agree. Watch a documentary called Earthlings and then tell me how everything isn't bad enough for people to be extreme. Animals need to be helped, not hurt.

Then save 60% more animals by closing the PeTA shelters.

You'd think their spokesperson would have mentioned something credible when asked.

They are pretty radical and like I said, I'm not really a fan, but I've known plenty of PETA employees and volunteers over the years. Have you?

My "agenda" comment, was in regards to your parroting the same term repeatedly about them and percentages.

They are pretty radical and like I said, I'm not really a fan, but I've known plenty of PETA employees and volunteers over the years. Have you?

It isn't that I don't associate with them, it is that they don't like my opinion of their organization.

My "agenda" comment, was in regards to your parroting the same term repeatedly about them and percentages.

Things need parroted until those issues are addressed, for 15 years PeTA has been challenged on their horrendous shelter kill rate and nothing has changed. Maybe some PeTA supporters could begin to raise these questions to the organization they support.

Archived