Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7.com- A Combine Refresher Course; What Are the Redskins Looking For In Draft Prospects?

KCClybun

Click here to read more.

Day 1 of the NFL Scouting Combine has come and gone, and we can officially begin the season of buzzing about 40-yard dash times and who will go where. The offensive linemen and the tight ends had their day in the sun today; tomorrow, quarterback, wide receivers and running backs will have their day; on Monday, the defensive linemen and linebackers have their time, and on Tuesday, we’ll see the defensive backs.

This also is the unofficial start of mock draft season, where the draftniks (professional and otherwise) begin trying to nail down who goes where in the 2013 NFL Draft. There are a lot of opinions on who the Redskins can and will take, but it would certainly help if they we nailed down exactly what kind of players we were trying to draft, as some of the more out there mock drafts seem to miss the point. So let’s take a look at what the last three drafts have told us what the Washington Redskins will be looking at going forward.

Click above to read more.

I knew that the Shanahan and Allen hadn't drafted a true underclassman since he was hired in 2010, but I didn't realize he started drafting seniors in 2006. That is impressive.

Now I'm wondering when that Ohio State RB he drafted in the 3rd round was. My guess is that it was 2005.

I knew that the Shanahan and Allen hadn't drafted a true underclassman since he was hired in 2010, but I didn't realize he started drafting seniors in 2006. That is impressive.

Now I'm wondering when that Ohio State RB he drafted in the 3rd round was. My guess is that it was 2005.

Yup, that was 2005.

---------- Post added February-24th-2013 at 12:34 AM ----------

Minor correction; Mike Shanahan has drafted one underclassmen since the "Maurice Clarett" draft in 2005.

He took Jarvis Moss, who was a true junior in 2007. Other than that, all seniors.

Definitely a good refresher. Whenever I'm looking at prospects, one of the first things I look at is their year, if they're a true junior, I pretty much ignore them, maybe making a quick mental note, but otherwise just moving on.

It's why guys like Watson (OT), Amerson (CB), Woods (WR), Rogers (WR), Reid (S), etc., are tough to take seriously. While they're extremely talented, they're also juniors, and Shanahan loves his Seniors and Captains.

Definitely a good refresher. Whenever I'm looking at prospects, one of the first things I look at is their year, if they're a true junior, I pretty much ignore them, maybe making a quick mental note, but otherwise just moving on.

It's why guys like Watson (OT), Amerson (CB), Woods (WR), Rogers (WR), Reid (S), etc., are tough to take seriously. While they're extremely talented, they're also juniors, and Shanahan loves his Seniors and Captains.

It certainly saves a little time scouting. To make it onto my radar as a junior you have to be a pretty damn good. Right now the only guy I can think of on that list is Stedman Bailey, and I could totally be wrong about him.

You do realize that just because you published this thread Shanny has ordered Allen to only draft juniors. He hates being predicted, you know.

Gol Darn it, Bruce. They figured me out. Scrap the board. I want juniors. Lots of juniors. Juniors and malcontents. That'll teach 'em. Heh... heh... they go left, I go right.
But what if this is what they expect, Mike. What if this is some kind of reverse psychology scheme?
Then we'll need two draft boards. Maybe three.
Just got a call from the Maras. They're warning that two boards is against the spirit of the draft
Unprintable

You do realize that just because you published this thread Shanny has ordered Allen to only draft juniors. He hates being predicted, you know.

Damn it, your right!

But in order to really throw us off, he can't draft juniors. No, we'll need to create our supplemental draft. Made up of players from the UFL and XFL.

...Welcome back Colt Brennan!

The Redskins go draft all Canadian and Austrailian football players!!! No one will ever see it coming (bet we actually could find some great players if we really plumbed those markets too)

At this point I wouldn't put anything past Campbell and Brown...

Terron Armstead Arkansas pinebluff,( lit up the combine) fastest OL ever 4-7.1 and 31 reps. Played for Monte Coleman, who I believe played his college ball there too. Started rising at the East West game and got a invite to the seniorbowl. He is a senior who was all swc 3 years in a row which are things the staff looks for.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1540859-terron-armstead-full-profile-of-combines-speedy-lineman

Terron Armstead Arkansas pinebluff,( lit up the combine) fastest OL ever 4-7.1 and 31 reps. Played for Monte Coleman, who I believe played his college ball there too. Started rising at the East West game and got a invite to the seniorbowl. He is a senior who was all swc 3 years in a row which are things the staff looks for.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1540859-terron-armstead-full-profile-of-combines-speedy-lineman

Seems like he'd be on the radar, and he's a scheme fit. I don't know if the value will be there, especially after he jumped out the building at the Combine, but anything's possible.

Here's a list of the players the Redskins have spoken to so far:

Sam Barrington, LB, South Florida (EW)

Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech (EW)

Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson (SR)

Montori Hughes, DL, Tennessee-Martin (SR)

T.J. McDonald, S, Redskins (COM)

Bradley McDougald, S, Kansas (EW)

Brandon McGee, CB, Miami (EW)

Ty Powell, LB, Harding (SR)

Jordan Poyer, DB, Oregon State (COM)

Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee (SR)

Phillip Thomas, DB, Fresno State (SR)

Duke Williams, DB, Nevada (SR)

Click here to read more.

Day 1 of the NFL Scouting Combine has come and gone, and we can officially begin the season of buzzing about 40-yard dash times and who will go where. The offensive linemen and the tight ends had their day in the sun today; tomorrow, quarterback, wide receivers and running backs will have their day; on Monday, the defensive linemen and linebackers have their time, and on Tuesday, we’ll see the defensive backs.

This also is the unofficial start of mock draft season, where the draftniks (professional and otherwise) begin trying to nail down who goes where in the 2013 NFL Draft. There are a lot of opinions on who the Redskins can and will take, but it would certainly help if they we nailed down exactly what kind of players we were trying to draft, as some of the more out there mock drafts seem to miss the point. So let’s take a look at what the last three drafts have told us what the Washington Redskins will be looking at going forward.

Click above to read more.

Basic need CB, S, @ BIG TALL WR

Here's a list of the players the Redskins have spoken to so far:

Sam Barrington, LB, South Florida (EW)

Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech (EW)

Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson (SR)

Montori Hughes, DL, Tennessee-Martin (SR)

T.J. McDonald, S, Redskins (COM)

Bradley McDougald, S, Kansas (EW)

Brandon McGee, CB, Miami (EW)

Ty Powell, LB, Harding (SR)

Jordan Poyer, DB, Oregon State (COM)

Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee (SR)

Phillip Thomas, DB, Fresno State (SR)

Duke Williams, DB, Nevada (SR)

12 Players listed there, 6 of them DBs. That's half of them just for that area. Great news and the FO is focusing on the right area to try and find some gems in the later rounds.

Archived