Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7.com- A Combine Refresher Course; What Are the Redskins Looking For In Draft Prospects?

KCClybun

If we pick up Toler and Lynch, I think anything more than 1 pick towards the secondary is overkill. We'll have Hall, Wilson, C Griffin, Crawford, Meriweather, Doughty, Gomes, Pugh, Bernstein and Minnifield returning this year. Add Toler and Lynch and I think we are pretty set, but I'd make one pick in the draft a priority, not two. If we don't get Toler and Lynch, then yes, use 2 picks.

If we pick up Toler and Lynch, I think anything more than 1 pick towards the secondary is overkill. We'll have Hall, Wilson, C Griffin, Crawford, Meriweather, Doughty, Gomes, Pugh, Bernstein and Minnifield returning this year. Add Toler and Lynch and I think we are pretty set, but I'd make one pick in the draft a priority, not two. If we don't get Toler and Lynch, then yes, use 2 picks.

It all depends on a lot of factors though. Hall might be gone. Depending on Meriweather, Bernstein and Minnifield all coming off injuries is not exactly a reassuring prospect. I don't envy the FO having to decide who to take before we know what a lot of the injured guys can do. We may end up with too many, or not enought DBs....yet another reason we should fight the cap penalty....we need the money.

So 2nd Matt Elam, 3rd Terron Armstead, 4th Phillip Thomas, 5th Tyrann Mathieu....

I know, I know Elam and Mathieu are not seniors, and especially Mathieu is a big gamble, but a 5th rounder for a chance the he has worked out his issues and can now play in the NFL is, in my opinion, worth it. Elam definitely has a shot to start at FS, and potentially Thomas at SS. Armstead can definitely start at Guard, and Mathieu could potentially break into a starting spot in a Dime package.

Updated list:

Oday Aboushi, OL, Virginia (COM)

Robert Alford, DB, Southeast Louisiana (COM)

Sam Barrington, LB, South Florida (EW)

Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech (EW)

Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson (SR)

Montori Hughes, DL, Tennessee-Martin (SR)

Tony Jefferson, DB, Oklahoma (COM)

Keelan Johnson, DB, Arizona State (COM)

Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado (COM)

Robert Lester, DB, Alabama (COM)

Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU (COM)

T.J. McDonald, S, USC (COM)

Bradley McDougald, S, Kansas (EW)

Brandon McGee, CB, Miami (EW)

Will Pericak, DL, Colorado (EW)

Ty Powell, LB, Harding (SR)

Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State (COM)

Justin Pugh, OL, Syracuse (COM)

Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee (SR)

D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina (COM) (SR) (SR)

Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech (COM)

Phillip Thomas, DB, Fresno State (SR) (SR)

Duke Williams, DB, Nevada (SR)

So 2nd Matt Elam, 3rd Terron Armstead, 4th Phillip Thomas, 5th Tyrann Mathieu....

I know, I know Elam and Mathieu are not seniors, and especially Mathieu is a big gamble, but a 5th rounder for a chance the he has worked out his issues and can now play in the NFL is, in my opinion, worth it. Elam definitely has a shot to start at FS, and potentially Thomas at SS. Armstead can definitely start at Guard, and Mathieu could potentially break into a starting spot in a Dime package.

I see his name thrown around in mock drafts around here by our members. Can you tell me exactly what he brings to the table? As far as I can see, he's too small to play CB, too slow (ran a 4.5, 40 at the combine), likes to toke (something Fred Davis gets constantly bashed for but I guess it's OK for college player who hasn't proven a damn thing on the field) and can't play safety. I've heard slot position, but alot of NFL teams are putting their best WRs in the slot (Megatron), hence why Hall got alot of playing time in the slot. I think Mathieu is not worth ANY pick.

I see his name thrown around in mock drafts around here by our members. Can you tell me exactly what he brings to the table? As far as I can see, he's too small to play CB, too slow (ran a 4.5, 40 at the combine), likes to toke (something Fred Davis gets constantly bashed for but I guess it's OK for college player who hasn't proven a damn thing on the field) and can't play safety. I've heard slot position, but alot of NFL teams are putting their best WRs in the slot (Megatron), hence why Hall got alot of playing time in the slot. I think Mathieu is not worth ANY pick.

What does a 40-yard dash matter to guys that are backpedaling half the time? Furthermore, straight line speed means jack to a player that can't play his position. Mathieu has proven time and time again he can play ball, and play much bigger than his size. You don't become a finalist for the Heisman as a defensive player if you're a chump.

---------- Post added March-5th-2013 at 02:13 AM ----------

Why is SR listed twice on some players?

I think those are just typos. The list comes from WalterFootball.com, and there's a different indicator for a team meeting a player more than once at an event.

What does a 40-yard dash matter to guys that are backpedaling half the time? Furthermore, straight line speed means jack to a player that can't play his position. Mathieu has proven time and time again he can play ball, and play much bigger than his size. You don't become a finalist for the Heisman as a defensive player if you're a chump.

Gee, I don't know, why don't you ask Madieu Williams if speed is important. They backpedal for about 5 yards so it's not like they are backpeddeling all the way down the field.

I hope the hell we don't waste a draft pick on him. There are plenty of safeties or defensive backs I'd rather take in the 5th-7th round than this guy.

Gee, I don't know, why don't you ask Madieu Williams if speed is important. They backpedal for about 5 yards so it's not like they are backpeddeling all the way down the field.

I hope the hell we don't waste a draft pick on him. There are plenty of safeties or defensive backs I'd rather take in the 5th-7th round than this guy.

Defensive back is all about positioning. When Madieu gets beat like a government mule, it's because he wasn't where he was supposed to be. Ed Reed ran a 4.57 at his combine, did anyone care? If a DB lets a receiver get behind him, his speed is rarely going to matter much at that point.

Defensive back is all about positioning. When Madieu gets beat like a government mule, it's because he wasn't where he was supposed to be. Ed Reed ran a 4.57 at his combine, did anyone care? If a DB lets a receiver get behind him, his speed is rarely going to matter much at that point.

Reed is kind of like Cal Ripken. Ripken was considered the best defensive SS because of his positioning. Reed is also bigger and has better anticipation skills than Mathieu. I just don't want the guy and I'll be very pissed if we take him. Nothing will change my mind. He doesn't fit what the FO looks for, so I think it's safe to assume he won't be on our roster. And there are plenty of CBs that can make up a step in the NFL past and present.

Archived