Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody Else Doing The Green Smoothie Thang? (Share your recipe)

KingGibbs

My wife bought me a Vitamix for Christmas and I love, love, LOVE it!

I used to take multi-vitamins and other supps, but I wanted to find a way to add more fruits and veggies to my diet. Well, have I ever found a way.

I have for two weeks and will continue on a daily basis to make a healthy concoction.

So far, I have been making a smoothie that consist of red grapes, blue, black and raspberries, strawberries, spinach and carrots. It is delish.

Any recipes?

I use Shakeology and LOVE it.

My recipe is easy:

12 Ice cubes

1 cup Almond Milk

1/3 cup of water

1 Heaping tbsp. Peanut Butter (Natural Skippy)

1 Scoop Chocolate Shakeology

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

The great thing with Shakeology is that you get an insane amount of nutrients and there are hundreds of recipes out there for it. There are three flavors Chocolate, Greenberry, and Tropical Strawberry. Check it out and let me know if you decide to get some because my wife is a team beachbody coach.

I use Shakeology and LOVE it.

My recipe is easy:

12 Ice cubes

1 cup Almond Milk

1/3 cup of water

1 Heaping tbsp. Peanut Butter (Natural Skippy)

1 Scoop Chocolate Shakeology

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

The great thing with Shakeology is that you get an insane amount of nutrients and there are hundreds of recipes out there for it. There are three flavors Chocolate, Greenberry, and Tropical Strawberry. Check it out and let me know if you decide to get some because my wife is a team beachbody coach.

yeah, love my Shakeology too. I prefer the greenberry.

What's the dif between a Vitamix and a regular blender? While reading my gossip magazine for the week, I saw Kourtney Kardashian (yeah, I know, don't start) swears by these things. Her's was almost $500, which is ridiculous to me; I don't see the difference between that and the nice blender I already have. Can one of you pros explain? :D

I don't do green smoothies, just the sight of drinking something green makes me want to dry heave. I eat spinach and kale salads at lunch and dinner instead. However, I do make berry smoothies.

-Several ice cubes

- blueberries

- blackberries

- strawberries

- tiny bit of OJ

- Scoop of vanilla whey protein

I also make peach/mango smoothies too (same ingredients except change out the fruit for the peach and mango).

When it's hard to get good fruit, or even reasonable fruit in the dead of winter, I'll use frozen organic berries from Whole Foods.

Weird, didn’t realize this was a thing… my mom got a juicer/blender thing a couple weeks ago and has been doing it. Mixed kale, carrots, pears, apples, and (some other minor ingredient that escapes me). She let me try it- was pretty darn good despite looking like bacteria-ridden swamp water.

I've been thinking about doing this. Do you guys use a special blender or something?

I use a Vitamix blender. Want to know how good it is? It comes with a 7 year warranty. It's 100% Made In The USA. :)

A less expensive model will not be able to do what the more expensive ones will. My Vitamix emulsifies everything I put in it including carrots in 30 seconds or less. I never thought that fruits and veggies could taste so good together, but I will now eat (drink) veggies I wouldn't normally eat because the fruit overpowers the bitterness of veggies.

I love having my homemade 100% natural, no sodium version of V8. :)

I use a Vitamix blender. Want to know how good it is? It comes with a 7 year warranty. It's 100% Made In The USA. :)

A less expensive model will not be able to do what the more expensive ones will. My Vitamix emulsifies everything I put in it including carrots in 30 seconds or less. I never thought that fruits and veggies could taste so good together, but I will now eat (drink) veggies I wouldn't normally eat because the fruit overpowers the bitterness of veggies.

I love having my homemade 100% natural, no sodium version of V8. :)

I'll definitely have to look into that. Thanks!

Too many here have missed the point of the thread :-) green doesn't mean a protein shake with all your favourite fruits -- that's a smoothie.

1tbsp raw almond butter

1tbsp chia seeds

1tbsp Sunwarrior plant protein (vanilla)

1 banana

1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)

1 handful of baby spinach

1/2 cup water (or 5-6 ice cubes)

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 02:44 PM ----------

My original recipe:

1 whole cucumber

4 stalks cucumber

2 green apples

1/2 lemon

1 anise

4oz of pea sprouts

6oz sunflower sprouts

1 bunch of kale

The anise makes it taste sweet. You need lemon, way too many health benefits. Find a seller of sprouts.... a must. Probably pound for pound the most nutritious food on the planet.

Too many here have missed the point of the thread :-) green doesn't mean a protein shake with all your favourite fruits -- that's a smoothie.

1tbsp raw almond butter

1tbsp chia seeds

1tbsp Sunwarrior plant protein (vanilla)

1 banana

1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)

1 handful of baby spinach

1/2 cup water (or 5-6 ice cubes)

You're right.

I get plenty of raw and steamed vegetables in through my regular meals, and fruit in my snacks...so I'm not worried about adding veggies into my berry protein smoothies on the occasions I do make them :ols:

Just wondering what the difference between a Vitamix blender and a regular blender was :D

my wife and i have been doing smoothies for a while now...

1 cup soy/almond milk

frozen strawberries and blueberries, maybe a cup of each

1 banana

1 scoop of juice plus powder

ground flax seed

ground green tea

cacao nibs

spinach/kale depending on what we have

hemp seed

ours tends to be more blue/purple because of the strawberries and blueberries. everything below the juice plus powder up there depends on what we have in the house. we try to throw in as many superfoods as possible.

I've always been a big baby spinach guy DH and I put that in my smoothie everyday. I hear that kale is even mor ebeneficail then spinach. How 'bout the taste?

You say that lemon is very beneficial. I can't stand lemon because it overpowers everything. Do you leave the skin and is the taste minimized in a green smoothie?

Have looked into wheatgrass also.

It's nothing special, but i do the following blender batch almost every day (with a bowl of cinnamon-dusted, nuts-and honey-added oatmeal--no sugar) for the early meal:

Fresh fruit/melon of choice (or mix em up)--usually bananas, oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, kiwi, cranberries (Ocean Spray is a neighbor), any berry, cantaloupes.

1/2 cup nonfat milk

2/3 cup water

1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt

1 scoop quality protein powder

That's it, but a quick and delicious/nutritious meal.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 11:52 AM ----------

And drink your wheatgrass. It's an acquired taste... but the best investment in your health nutrition-wise.

I'll give it a shot because you say so.

Just wondering what the difference between a Vitamix blender and a regular blender was :D

To put it simply. This is a case of you get what you pay for. Try blending a container of grapes, berries, spinach, carrots and bananas in 30 seconds (if at all) or less with a basic blender. My Vitamix has 37,000 RPM's on high. Very smooth concoctions.

Read up on it. It's absurd. But don't buy dehydrated powder or frozen green drink servings. Nutritionally, they only give you 10% of the same value as freshly squeezed. You can't find a more alkaline product than wheatgrass. First thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything. Get it on an empty stomach after you digestive system had been acidic all night from digesting.

Kale

Banana

Avocado

Peeled orange

Ice Cubes

*Raw Agave if need be (a little sweetner).

As long as you have a leafy green as you base, you can mix and match just about any fruit(s) in there to get a good nutritional smoothie.

I've been drinking these for the past few months and I absolutely LOVE them. I think 99% of the reluctance to drink the green smoothie is due to the color. If you can get past that, you'll find that they are indeed delicious.

What about seaweed DH?

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 03:00 PM ----------

Kale

Banana

Avocado

Peeled orange

Ice Cubes

*Raw Agave if need be (a little sweetner).

As long as you have a leafy green as you base, you can mix and match just about any fruit(s) in there to get a good nutritional smoothie.

I've been drinking these for the past few months and I absolutely LOVE them. I think 99% of the reluctance to drink the green smoothie is due to the color. If you can get past that, you'll find that they are indeed delicious.

Blueberries are your best friend when it comes to getting past the color.

To put it simply. This is a case of you get what you pay for. Try blending a container of grapes, berries, spinach, carrots and bananas in 30 seconds (if at all) or less with a basic blender. My Vitamix has 37,000 RPM's on high. Very smooth concoctions.

Exactly. A Vitamix blender has a V8 engine with a hemi on it that is unmatched. It can liquefy anything with breaking a sweat. No chunks or pulp. No fruit or veggie can stand up to it. With that being said, it also heats up during the process... which means you can make fresh soup in 5 minutes straight out of the blender.

There really is no comparison to regular blenders. They're tanks with a lifetime warrant to boot. Just so damn expensive. Try finding one second-hand.... lucky if you do. No one sells them :-)

We alternate between smoothies and vegetable juice every morning for breakfast.

We have a Blendtec for making smoothies: http://www.blendtec.com/categories/blenders?utm_campaign=6228&utm_term=5625864&utm_medium=google&utm_source=trada&utm_content=5223490587_17086499427

And an Omega Vert for juicing: http://www.omegajuicers.com/vert350-juicer.html

My wife says she got her start on the juice and smoothies from the guy who did 'fat sick and nearly dead'. His site:

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/

Archived