Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does Ray Lewis get a free pass?

FletchLives

But what I most don't like about the guy, is how he preaches all the time in his interviews. Funny, Tebow gets destroyed for doing the same thing, yet it's perfectly fine when Ray Ray does it? Nah. That **** don't fly with me. If it's not ok for one guy to do it, it's not ok for anyone.

I think there's a difference between the two in this regard. The whole virgin thing, missionary upbringing, doesn't curse, ect give Tebow an aura of someone who is or thinks he is somehow better than the average person, as a person. Much of that is likely the public's own insecurity, we don't like to believe people can really be that pure, we're cynical. Ray wears his flaws on his sleeve and doesn't come off that way. The way he talks about religion it feels more like it's a superstition, and it's usually related to fortunes on the football field. It's just a completely different feel, at least for me. Also, there's more to his public persona and personality whereas with Tebow, his religion is what defines him publicly. I don't see it as an apples to apples comparison in terms of the flack they do or don't get for that because I think it's presented to us very differently for each.

I think there's a difference between the two in this regard. The whole virgin thing, missionary upbringing, doesn't curse, ect give Tebow an aura of someone who is or thinks he is somehow better than the average person, as a person. Much of that is likely the public's own insecurity, we don't like to believe people can really be that pure, we're cynical. Ray wears his flaws on his sleeve and doesn't come off that way. The way he talks about religion it feels more like it's a superstition, and it's usually related to fortunes on the football field. It's just a completely different feel, at least for me. Also, there's more to his public persona and personality whereas with Tebow, his religion is what defines him publicly. I don't see it as an apples to apples comparison in terms of the flack they do or don't get for that because I think it's presented to us very differently for each.

That's your opinion on Tebow,there are obviously millions of people who admire and like Tebow for the person that he is.I have never seen or heard Tebow coming off or acting as if he is better than anyone.Personally,I am glad there is someone like Tebow that stands up for what he believes.Be cynical if you like but Tebow lives under a microscope and holds up very well.Ray Lewis is (was) a very good football player not sure about all the other stuff.I prefer an mlb like Fletcher,that has comprable numbers to Lewis but performs in a manner that doesn't say look at me all the time.Really tired of the Ray Lewis dance.

I agree Ray Lewis' (Pastor Ray is what i call him) is what makes this man practically unbearable to me.

One of my buddies put it in a really good way - Ray has just become a caricature of himself. He used to be this great player and leader and now the emotional leader stuff is so overblown to the point where half the **** he says doesn't even make sense.

Wow, I think this article really puts a lot of things in this thread in perspective. I didn't have a strong opinion of what happened before since I didn't know much about it, but I have to say that after reading that article I'll never look at Ray again without thinking of that family he was involved in destroying.

That's your opinion on Tebow,there are obviously millions of people who admire and like Tebow for the person that he is.I have never seen or heard Tebow coming off or acting as if he is better than anyone.Personally,I am glad there is someone like Tebow that stands up for what he believes.Be cynical if you like but Tebow lives under a microscope and holds up very well.Ray Lewis is (was) a very good football player not sure about all the other stuff.I prefer an mlb like Fletcher,that has comprable numbers to Lewis but performs in a manner that doesn't say look at me all the time.Really tired of the Ray Lewis dance.
Yeah, I don't get the "Tebow acts like he's better than anyone" thing. In fact, I find comments like that absurd. You can knock him for constantly being religious, but he's never acted like he was better than anyone else.

Ray Lewis hasn't been that good for several years. I'm glad he's retiring. The dance is definitely old. And so are his pregame speeches. I mean, they were great when his defense was actually good.

I still don't really know about RayRay's guilt/innocence in the whole murder case. It always seemed that he may have had some involvement if not directly, to me. But he was let go after a plea agreement. The other two, friends of Ray's, were found innocent in trial by means of self defense. I also know that he has turned his life around. Most reasonable people (not directed at you) want to see redemption. People change. Some change for the worst. When people change for the better, it is something to be admired.

---------- Post added January-20th-2013 at 09:47 PM ----------

Yeah, I don't get the "Tebow acts like he's better than anyone" thing. In fact, I find comments like that absurd. You can knock him for constantly being religious, but he's never acted like he was better than anyone else.

Ray Lewis hasn't been that good for several years. I'm glad he's retiring. The dance is definitely old. And so are his pregame speeches. I mean, they were great when his defense was actually good.

I agree with the dance .. it's gotten annoying (actually, it always was annoying.)

As to Tebow .. it isn't him that makes a "big deal" about his faith. It is his detractors that make a big deal about it.

---------- Post added January-20th-2013 at 09:48 PM ----------

I agree with the dance .. it's gotten annoying (actually, it always was annoying.)

As to Tebow .. it isn't him that makes a "big deal" about his faith. It is his detractors that make a big deal about it.

First of all, this is why people like the OP annoy me and piss me off. Ray Lewis did not murder anyone. He witnessed a murder. You comparing him to OJ makes no sense. Only a misinformed person would draw that conclusion.

This is how conflict in every aspect of life starts...because of people that think they know what's going on, but don't have a **** clue. Look at how Ray has lived his life since the incident and OJ has. Again, not remotely comparable.

I'm tired of sour-pusses that always want to rain on someone's parade like they are so **** perfect themselves. The guy has been a model citizen the past decade, what have you been? Have you been reaching out to homeless people? Do you have a youth program? Do you volunteer to help.the hungry and needy for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Think about these things before you start a thread to talk crap about someone.

End of discussion.

Two people are dead. Sorry if reminding people of that fact is such a downer. I seriously hope no one semi-famous kills members of your family and gets away with it or conspires to get his friends off....you would probably be thinking differently about it. It amazes me the number of people who act like it is an annoyance to remind people that Ray Lewis was involved in a double murder. Its not like a traffic ticket...two people are dead and no one is paying for it because of Ray.

---------- Post added January-20th-2013 at 10:18 PM ----------

First of all, this is why people like the OP annoy me and piss me off. Ray Lewis did not murder anyone. He witnessed a murder. You comparing him to OJ makes no sense. Only a misinformed person would draw that conclusion.

This is how conflict in every aspect of life starts...because of people that think they know what's going on, but don't have a **** clue. Look at how Ray has lived his life since the incident and OJ has. Again, not remotely comparable.

I'm tired of sour-pusses that always want to rain on someone's parade like they are so **** perfect themselves. The guy has been a model citizen the past decade, what have you been? Have you been reaching out to homeless people? Do you have a youth program? Do you volunteer to help.the hungry and needy for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Think about these things before you start a thread to talk crap about someone.

End of discussion.

You have some seriously warped values.

Although that incident will be revisited during the two weeks leading up to the SB, it obviously won't garner as much negativity as Burris or Vick because of the positive impact Lewis has had on the lives of players and people he come into contact with. Believe me, I don't like the "preacher" like nature he gives off. Last week after they beat the Broncos, he was going off with something like "One weapon...." to the BSPN reporter as if he just slayed a dragon or if he was a war hero. I thought he had just lost his mind. It's just a given that he'll never be looked at as negatively as he probably should.

I'm sorry, but that is, at absolute best, a really bizarre response to what you quoted.

I think saying it is OK that he didn't murder anyone, just saw it (and made sure his friends got off) and basically say that is OK is pretty warped. And saying people who bring it up are just raining on his parade? Really? Two people are dead, and I'm supposed to worry about poor Ray's feelings because it is going to upset his time at the Super Bowl? Please don't insult my intelligence.

I think saying it is OK that he didn't murder anyone, just saw it (and made sure his friends got off) and basically say that is OK is pretty warped. And saying people who bring it up are just raining on his parade? Really? Two people are dead, and I'm supposed to worry about poor Ray's feelings because it is going to upset his time at the Super Bowl? Please don't insult my intelligence.

It's not OK to witness a murder? You're automatically a bad person if you do?

You want to debate exactly what happened, go ahead. But when you're talking "values" the guy you quoted said Lewis witnessed a murder and has lived a good life since then and that people shouldn't be attacking him when they don't have the facts and you called that "warped values". That's fairly indefensible.

It's not OK to witness a murder? You're automatically a bad person if you do?

You want to debate exactly what happened, go ahead. But when you're talking "values" the guy you quoted said Lewis witnessed a murder and has lived a good life since then and that people shouldn't be attacking him when they don't have the facts and you called that "warped values". That's fairly indefensible.

If you witness it and make sure your friends get off....yes that makes you a bad person. The fact that that is even being debated shows how messed up our country had become. I don't care what good life things Ray has supposedly done....the two people killed aren't getting their lives back. And to me, yes it is warped to somehow imply that it is OK.

If you witness it and make sure your friends get off....yes that makes you a bad person. The fact that that is even being debated shows how messed up our country had become. I don't care what good life things Ray has supposedly done....the two people killed aren't getting their lives back. And to me, yes it is warped to somehow imply that it is OK.

He didn't say anything about 'making sure his friends got off' so attributing that to his values is completely bogus.

Lewis testified against his friends, by the way.

He didn't say anything about 'making sure his friends got off' so attributing that to his values is completely bogus.

Yes and he also changed his story on the stand to make sure they got off to go with his statements overheard at the scene telling everyone to lie about it. And to go with his missing white suit covered in blood that mysteriously got lost.

And if you don't like my comments feel free not to respond or ask the mods to ban me. I'm entitled to my opinions as much as you are.

Yes and he also changed his story on the stand to make sure they got off to go with his statements overheard at the scene telling everyone to lie about it. And to go with his missing white suit covered in blood that mysteriously got lost.

And if you don't like my comments feel free not to respond or ask the mods to ban me. I'm entitled to my opinions as much as you are.

First off, the DA knew what he was going to say, its not like he got up on the stand and changed up at the last minute. If the DA wasn't satisfied the plea bargain would have been revoked, which it wasn't. Ray did exactly what he agreed to with the DA. Second of all, the only witness that said he had anything to do with the deaths was a convicted con artist. The drivers testimony specifically said that he saw Ray throw a punch, but he was unsure if the punch hit anyone. Not one witness other than the con artist said anything about ray stabbing those two men. But I suppose that you know better even though you were not present. By the way, let's not forget that it was one of the "victims" who started the whole thing by hitting one of Ray's buddies over the head with a champagne bottle. Let's not pretend these "victims" were completely innocent.

Can you support that claim? I've ever read anything saying he changed his story to get his friends acquitted.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 03:13 AM ----------

By the way, let's not forget that it was one of the "victims" who started the whole thing by hitting one of Ray's buddies over the head with a champagne bottle. Let's not pretend these "victims" were completely innocent.

I was never able to get a clear picture about the fight. Was it just Ray and friends against the victims or a larger brawl. Reading most of the stories you'd think the two victims were walking to church only to have Ray and Co. hop out of a limo and murder them.

What I would like to say about Ray:

First and foremost, I bleed burgundy and gold.. I am in NO WAY a Ravens fan nor a Lewis fan, but I do respect his greatness on the field. That's where my respect for him ends.

A lot of people don't believe he was charged with murder. He in fact was and made a plea agreement to have his charges dropped to a guilty plea of obstruction of justice in exchange for his testimony against the members of his entourage. He did leave the scene of the assault with the people who committed the assault in his car without calling the authorities and then tried to cover it up. In my opinion that is a deliberate decision to get away with it and not just a "mistake" as many say.

Ray does seem to have made the most of his second chance by leading a clean life and doing community work, etc. But what about the families of the victims? According to the USA Today article quoted earlier in this thread, they don't seem to have peace, nor do they seem to have forgiven him. If anyone has any real opinion on whether people should forgive him and move on, it is them and they do not seem to have done it.

Isn't that the point though? Prison isn't suppose to be a punishment, it's only containment and if a bad person learns to be good regardless of the time served, isn't that better?

I think so.

Isn't that the point though? Prison isn't suppose to be a punishment, it's only containment and if a bad person learns to be good regardless of the time served, isn't that better?

I think so.

This is true. I could see if the guy was still acting like a clown, but I guarantee you that he's been a better person than these misinformed baffoons that bash him.

And to comment on this "2cents" person, you again did exactly what I said in my original post- talk **** and have no clue what you're talking about. Did I ever post that what Ray did was OK? No. So why are you making statements and twisting my post like I did.

If my posts are too much for you to comprehend just simply refrain from commenting on them. And I'm done posting in this thread where ignorance runneth over lol. Smh....Hey 2cents, you got some nerve saying people like me are what's wrong with the world. That is quite a hypocritical statement coming from a guy that assumes and twists other people's posts. Smh

WOW

Only to save himself, by the way, after the screws were put to him.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 08:40 AM ----------

I predict this whole issue will be vaguely mentioned, if at all, in the next two weeks. Or it'll be used as a backdrop for "turning his life around", without really going into specifics. ESPN will do everything in it's power to not talk about this.

Archived