Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It was obvious that RGIII isn't at Full Speed. Probably won't be against Dallas.

sharkproof

If I am Rob Ryan...

...I expect the Shanahans to try to play a WCO style ball control game to keep my offense off the field -- short, quick passes looking for YAC combined with a running game. So, I'm playing my corners tight hoping my press throws off the timing of those routes.

...I'd spend some time preparing to defend the Shanahans going for it on fourth and short on the Dallas side of the field. That 70+% success rate on fourth down makes that a tempting call. The game could easily turn on the outcome of a call like that.

...Brace or no brace, I don't forsee RG3 running the football. Mike Shanahan is a gutsy guy, one who likes to do the unexpected, but not even Mike would have the balls to risk the fallout that would happen if the kid stretched that ligament even further on a called run.

...I wouldn't spend too much time preparing for it, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Cousins starting or playing significant time.

...I note that, with Morris at RB, the Skins are not likely to swing to ball to him out of the Pistol. I guess he doesn't catch the ball that well. But, that swing pass could be a killer used for a ball control game run out of that formation, so I would have my players alert to it when Royster is in the game.

I have a Redskins bias, so I stay away from making serious predictions; however, home field is the only clear edge I see.

My heart say's skins but my head says dallas. They have ruined so many days over the years. With RG not able to do what he does it will be tough and sorry, our secondary just sucks. If we can run and have lots of long time consuming drives we have a chance.

Monday night miracle, Thanksgiving this year and many many more were made memorable by the Skins winning, No if, buts or and's, the Skins win this game, this time.

If I am Rob Ryan...

...I Wouldn't bet my Hair.

Fixed/

Watching the game again it looks like RG3 was just being extra cautious more than anything and not putting extra pressure on it than necessary. For instance, on the option play you can clearly see he explodes off to the right when he sees the linemen crashing down on Morris, but as he's heading to the sideline just lets up. At first glance, you'd think he might have strained it again on the way to the sideline and that's why he let up, but then there were numerous times in the pocket where he escaped pressure by being explosive.

So either he did feel something in his knee on that run but it felt better again as the game progressed, or he was just being extra cautious and would rather not risk running full speed towards the sideline.

I'm glad you posted this. I've been thinking all week about how RG3 didn't look quite as explosive when running the ball, but I couldn't help but to remember how I had witnessed him (RG3) moving around the pocket, planting, back-pedaling, and looking as if he was moving with ZERO restrictions in the pocket.

The entire week I have been wondering if the Eagles game was just another extension of the gamesmanship that Shanny has employed throughout the entire KneeGate event.

From allowing Robert to warm up on the field prior to the Browns game, to keeping him as "Questionable" for most of Eagles week....perhaps Shanny said something to the effect of:

"Robert, there's no need to go 100% here vs Philly. In fact, if you have a chance to safely look like you're less than 100%, do it! (the slow scramble) We want the Cowboys to think you're hurt still."

I know it is all conjecture, but when I saw Robert slowly jogging on a scramble, but then darting around the pocket as usual....it caused me to wonder if he was just "acting" a little bit, and trying to "look hurt" while knowing full well that he had all the gas in the tank that he needed, if the situation called for it.

hopefully he goes without the brace next week and is explosive like before. I think we win if thats the case

I don't think the brace was his problem. He's not 100% obviously, but I think it was more about his head. He just needs time to mentally be confident he can cut it loose. Hopefully, having made it through last week ok, another week of confidence building and healing in that knee will work wonders.

I'm glad you posted this. I've been thinking all week about how RG3 didn't look quite as explosive when running the ball, but I couldn't help but to remember how I had witnessed him (RG3) moving around the pocket, planting, back-pedaling, and looking as if he was moving with ZERO restrictions in the pocket.

The entire week I have been wondering if the Eagles game was just another extension of the gamesmanship that Shanny has employed throughout the entire KneeGate event.

From allowing Robert to warm up on the field prior to the Browns game, to keeping him as "Questionable" for most of Eagles week....perhaps Shanny said something to the effect of:

"Robert, there's no need to go 100% here vs Philly. In fact, if you have a chance to safely look like you're less than 100%, do it! (the slow scramble) We want the Cowboys to think you're hurt still."

I know it is all conjecture, but when I saw Robert slowly jogging on a scramble, but then darting around the pocket as usual....it caused me to wonder if he was just "acting" a little bit, and trying to "look hurt" while knowing full well that he had all the gas in the tank that he needed, if the situation called for it.

I could totally buy this. After seeing the lack of offensive creativity used in the preseason compared to the Saints game, I have always felt this coaching staff strongly believes in holding their cards tight to their chests.

Also, has anyone mentioned that even a loss in Philly would still mean that Sundays game would be for the division? In that case, I think you game plan to not show Dallas what you have more then you try to crush Philly.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 09:50 AM ----------

Also, Faulk has been on our bandwagon since Thanksgiving. The pregame show before the Monday nighter vs the Giants he said Skins would win out and take the division, Giants would stumble vs ATL and BAL...so far hes been right.

Also, has anyone mentioned that even a loss in Philly would still mean that Sundays game would be for the division? In that case, I think you game plan to not show Dallas what you have more then you try to crush Philly.

Our game this week wouldn't be for the division if we had lost to Philly if the Giants had won last week which we had no idea of knowing since their game was 4:25pm and after ours. You can't gameplan with those kind of things in mind.

Maybe there was a little gamesmanship ie don't show anything explosive yet but no way did we go in there vanilla against Philly thinking it all came down to this week anyway even with a loss because it didn't. Also, we very easily could have lost that game.

Fill up another mug of that kool-aid. I chugging that stuff now. He could've gone in the Cleveland game. Reports said he looked good in warm ups. He playec in the Philly game and looked a little rusty. It's now been three weeks. His read option runs weren't needed. He made it to the corner on that one play for five yds. So ok, now he's running at Capt. Cousins speed. Worse case scenario he can't break a 30 yd run. His running ability is still there, the P/A is still there, and the guy can actually throw the ball. But here's the kicker. This guy is a football player. If you have any doubt as to if he'll lay it all out on the line Sunday night then you haven't been watching him all season. Biggest game of the season on the biggest stage of the season. He has yet ro not show up. I expect no less this Sunday night from our team capt and leader.

Based on today I'd say the read option stuff will be out. Philly didn't bite on any of it after RG3's first run. Should be able to P/A and boot them to death. The Saints put up 562 yards today. No reason why we can't have similar success.

The Saints have Drew Brees, many receiving/rushing weapons, and one of the best OLs in the league. There are very good reasons why you may not have similar success. Especially with a limping QB.

The Saints have Drew Brees, many receiving/rushing weapons, and one of the best OLs in the league. There are very good reasons why you may not have similar success. Especially with a limping QB.

God I hope Rex Ryan only sees a "limping QB" and that's what he game plans for. He's going to be in for a rude awakening

Our game this week wouldn't be for the division if we had lost to Philly if the Giants had won last week which we had no idea of knowing since their game was 4:25pm and after ours. You can't gameplan with those kind of things in mind.

Maybe there was a little gamesmanship ie don't show anything explosive yet but no way did we go in there vanilla against Philly thinking it all came down to this week anyway even with a loss because it didn't. Also, we very easily could have lost that game.

My bust, for some reason I kept thinking we still had more division wins. I forgot they were playing in the division this weekend and have a shot at 3 wins.

Couple these factors together: Weather suppose to be in the 20's, Dallas' strength is the passing game, our strength is the running game, mis-direction plays are gonna be awesome that night, Dez Bryant's finger is gonna kill him in that cold, lol, Romo sits to pee's record sucks in last day games and also in cold weather, Fedex field is gonna be rockin'.

All this equals to a Redskins blowout against the Cowboys.

I think RG3 is a lot healthier than people think. Rewatching the game last night on NFLN, he was moving fine in the pocket, doing roll outs, escaping pressure, that one run he wasn't going full speed on purpose because he was running out of bounds. I think it was the game plan to protect RG3 so there wouldn't be pressure on the knee. I also think the Shanny's have been working on this game for several weeks and there will be stuff we have not seen yet come Sunday, I can't wait

Who has picked Dallas? Everything I've seen has been all Washington thus far.

IMO, it's pretty much a toss up pick em' game.

ESPN and NFLN, starting Monday, most of the guys have been picking the Cowboys. I see the fans at Sportsnation picked us and of course in here, most are picking us. But through 3 days with the media, its been "Cowboys" will win.

If I learned anything from RG3, or this offense, right when I expect it to slow down it explodes. But given how humans are and that this is a win and in for both, this game will be much tighter then Thanksgiving. You really need to consider some thing with the Cowboys...you can't let them get a lead. And even when you get a huge cushion on them, they know how to come back. In fact, they may very well be the best come back from a blowout squad playing right now. For some ****ing reason they're that annoying bug that just doesn't go away. I don't think they have a Superbowl fit team, but that doesn't mean they can't spoil the party for people.

I think we get this game, especially with home field being a true advantage for the Redskins now despite our misfortunes earlier in the year. The Redskins at home, have won very close games the past two times, I know the stadium will be pumped up. It's up to everyone to be loud and insane to create the worst environment possible.

You mean the "limping QB" who threw darts against the Eagles? How many rushing yards did Brees have? Your point? Do the Saints have the number one rushing attack in the NFL? Did you play the Saints at home, or on the road? Speaking of that, how many road games have you all played lately? One out of the last six, right? How many points have the Redskins scored on offense the last two weeks, after RGIII's injury? Let me answer that one for you: 38 and 27, both on the road, against defenses playing better than your current nametag unit. Who has the league's #5 offense and scores one less point per game than the Saints? Who has four WRs with at least 500 yards receiving?

Delusional Cowboy fans are so cute.

If I am Rob Ryan...

...I expect the Shanahans to try to play a WCO style ball control game to keep my offense off the field -- short, quick passes looking for YAC combined with a running game. So, I'm playing my corners tight hoping my press throws off the timing of those routes.

...I'd spend some time preparing to defend the Shanahans going for it on fourth and short on the Dallas side of the field. That 70+% success rate on fourth down makes that a tempting call. The game could easily turn on the outcome of a call like that.

...Brace or no brace, I don't forsee RG3 running the football. Mike Shanahan is a gutsy guy, one who likes to do the unexpected, but not even Mike would have the balls to risk the fallout that would happen if the kid stretched that ligament even further on a called run.

...I wouldn't spend too much time preparing for it, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Cousins starting or playing significant time.

...I note that, with Morris at RB, the Skins are not likely to swing to ball to him out of the Pistol. I guess he doesn't catch the ball that well. But, that swing pass could be a killer used for a ball control game run out of that formation, so I would have my players alert to it when Royster is in the game.

I have a Redskins bias, so I stay away from making serious predictions; however, home field is the only clear edge I see.

I'd have to say that that pretty much sums up what Shanny did this past weekend to a degree. By and large the passes that RG was completing were the 1st read even if the play was taking longer to develop when running fake reverses. As soon as RG set his feet post fakes he was targeting on receiver and letting it fly. He was not holding the ball very long and going though 3 and 4 reads before throwing which indicates that the game plan was to keep him safe and not having to stand in and take a shot from a rusher. The misdirection plays were deep behind the LOS many times and gave RG a nice cushion to work with. He also used play action to delay the rush and again was targeting his primary more times than not. The TD to Moss was rerun of a play from the week before that Cousins missed seeing Moss on bascially the same pattern which would have gone for 6, but his first read was to the right side of the field this time and he completed a 1st down to another receiver and later converted a TD. I think the coaches saw this play and ran it again, but told RG Moss would be the target. I cannot honestly remember RG going though multiple reads, if you go back and watch, he is literally throwing almost as soon as he plants his back foot. What one must think is that will Ryan see this and have the FS key on RG's eyes and take the risk of leaving a QB alone with no help over top because the Safety is going to key on his first look. Much of this depends on what RG's knee is really like health wise as to how the Shanny's gameplan this. Though many here believe that RG has Clark Kent's costume on under his jersey and he will do away with the brace this weekend.... I'm not so sure. The fact that he was icing on the sidelines tells me that the knee is still tender, not to discount the gingerness that he seemed to show when running toward the sideline. As you say OF, and I concur, quick reads and get the ball out quickly. I expect that we will see Garcon continue to be the big body possession rec, and Moss slipping and sliding between coverages on quick routes looking for RAC and a possible re run of the TD throw which again was out of RG's hands in about 2 seconds and Moss was covered 1 on 1. I also believe that we will see a heavy dose of zone block running to try and wear down the D line. Regardless, I don't anticipate RG running either, though many think he will and that Shanny is trying to game this. Certainly he is big on gamesmanship, but as you say... not stupid as to say that risking RG at this point in his career would be wreckless, plus I think he has plans that go on well beyond this year. I hope that you have a nice Holiday weekend and great reading your take on things as always reasoned/ and seasoned thoughts.

Archived