Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thom Loverro on ESPN 980: Start Rex if RG3 Can't Go

JMUSkins

Apparently it doesn't matter who starts versus Cleveland. Mort just said on Mike and Mike that it probably didn't matter who started that the Skins weren't beating Cleveland.

We're decent against the run, but maybe that's because teams pass more because they can... Brandon Weedon is very inconsistent, just hoping he makes a rookie mistake here and there... and we need to take away the run game...

Terrible idea. Rex would not have the timing down with the offense as Griffin and Cousins have had.

---------- Post added December-13th-2012 at 10:45 AM ----------

Apparently it doesn't matter who starts versus Cleveland. Mort just said on Mike and Mike that it probably didn't matter who started that the Skins weren't beating Cleveland.

Excellent. I love how nobody still give us a chance 4 wins later. Keep up the hate.

Excellent. I love how nobody still give us a chance 4 wins later. Keep up the hate.

I know. It's crazy. All of the sudden the Browns are world beaters. The Cleveland Browns!

Mort also said that RG3 would not be playing.

I know. It's crazy. All of the sudden the Browns are world beaters. The Cleveland Browns!

Mort is wrong on both accounts because we are beating Cleveland and RG3 will play and have a Willis Reed/Kirk Gibson/Michael Jordan flu game moment..........BANK ON IT

If Grossman starts, then the Browns don't need to gameplan that much for this offense and they're already spotted a 14-0 lead and it's a uphill battle from there.

Really? Tell that to the Giants. They got smoked by Rex last year. But there lies the problem. He can have an amazing game followed by a 4 INT game. But if you get the good Rex. You get one hell of a QB.

They won three in a row. they have a better defense than us. Arguably a better offensive line. Skilled players IMO about tied with us. And we would be playing in their backyard. Throw that all together possibly with a rookie QB making his first start -- it makes sense to me why people like Dan Marino say we likely can't win without RG III. Browns reporter went on 106.7 today and was asked to make a prediction -- predicted a Redskins win if RG III plays, a Browns win if Cousins. I like Cousins but its a lot to ask of him to have a big game in his starting debut -- he IMO would need to do more than just manage the game considering the Browns other advantages over the Skins. Different story with RG III playing -- RG III by a mile is better than Weeden.

They won three in a row. they have a better defense than us. Arguably a better offensive line. Skilled players IMO about tied with us. And we would be playing in their backyard. Throw that all together possibly with a rookie QB making his first start -- it makes sense to me why people like Dan Marino say we likely can't win without RG III. Browns reporter went on 106.7 today and was asked to make a prediction -- predicted a Redskins win if RG III plays, a Browns win if Cousins. I like Cousins but its a lot to ask of him to have a big game in his starting debut -- he IMO would need to do more than just manage the game considering the Browns other advantages over the Skins. Different story with RG III playing -- RG III by a mile is better than Weeden.

Well the three wins in a row has to be taken with a grain of salt I believe. I know you have to play who's on the schedule but come on. They beat bad Raiders and Chiefs teams and a Charlie Batch led Steelers squad.

I think they can win with Cousins but my original point was in reference to what Mort said this morning. He said with or without RG3 that the Skins would have a tough time beating the Browns. I'm not sure what rock Mort has been living under but obviously he hasn't seen RG3 play much.

Well the three wins in a row has to be taken with a grain of salt I believe. I know you have to play who's on the schedule but come on. They beat bad Raiders and Chiefs teams and a Charlie Batch led Steelers squad.

Against the Chiefs, they destroyed them. We rarely destroy bad teams. Ok lets talk their losses. They went to overtime in Dallas, and arguably got screwed by some bad calls by officials. they had the Giants on the ropes for most of the game in NY then really blew it in the 4th quarter, lost to Cincy in a close dog fight like we did.

These aren't the Patriots but they aren't a push over either and we are playing them on the road.

I think they can win with Cousins but my original point was in reference to what Mort said this morning.

Anything is possible. But IMO for Cousins to win he needs to do better than play OK, he needs to outplay Weeden in his starting debut because the Browns IMO and most agree have both the better D and O line. Browns have both a better pass rush and secondary.

So then it comes down to skilled players and I argue its about a wash maybe we have a minor edge. Richardson, Gordon, Benjamin, Little can do fine stacked up against our group.

Special teams -- they got Cribbs/Benjamin who blow away Banks -- maybe now with Paul/Crawford, we are closer.

So yeah really don't get what advantage the Redskins have over the Browns without RG III? But RG III does represent a big advantage. My point is without him, IMO the Browns are the more talented team.

He said with or without RG3 that the Skins would have a tough time beating the Browns. I'm not sure what rock Mort has been living under but obviously he hasn't seen RG3 play much.

I'll read the article. "Tough time", I'd agree with. Why not? Weeden gets to throw against little pass pressure (Redskins ranked 28th in sacks) and gets to toss the ball against arguably the worst secondary in the NFL. RG III would play against one of the best passing rushing teams (ranked 7th) and against one of the best corners in the league.

I think we can win and I bet we do but IMO its mostly about the huge disparity between the QB play of RG III and Weeden.

Rex Grossman would not be in his 10th season in the NFL if he was half as inept as most people think he is. Having said that, I think you go with Cousins here if Griffin III can't start, but activate Rex in case Kirk really struggles in his first NFL start. If Rex gets that arm warmed up he can still sling it down the field and operate this offense.

Rex Grossman would not be in his 10th season in the NFL if he was half as inept as most people think he is. Having said that, I think you go with Cousins here if Griffin III can't start, but activate Rex in case Kirk really struggles in his first NFL start. If Rex gets that arm warmed up he can still sling it down the field and operate this offense.

Agreed on both points, that a) Rex as a backup isn't as bad as some people think and B) under these circumstances I'd go with Cousins. But if something happens and Rex has to play it won't be the end of the world. Rex can throw that excruciating pick, yes. But you think Kirk will be immune to that? Oh what short memories we have.

While a lot of people are totally in love with cousins. I vividly remember him throwing those two interceptions to atlanta the only time we saw him play an extended period in a regular season game.

I would be ok with rex starting and I think its likely he would also play well. Of course there is always the fear that bad rex will come out and he'll throw a bunch of pics but I think he is quite capable of running the offense. The issue is he tends to have either a great day (like when we almost beat the patriots last year), or he just plays a bunch of crap. I still don't get why everyone is so comfortable with cousins. I mean I hope and wish him the best, but the guy threw 2 passes (Besides the Pass interference play) the last game. It's not like he led some 96 yard touchdown drive.. I'm not saying cousins is garbage, I'm just saying we haven't seen anything in the regular season that proves he is good. So my opinion of him is mostly an 'incomplete' grade, or trending towards worried cause I feel he stares receivers down and the two pics he threw were quite awful against Atlanta

Rex had a key fumble that lost the Skins the game vs. the Pats last year. Go with Cousins. If it gets out of hand bring in RGIII.

Why would you bring in RG III with the game out of hand? We know that krik will make Rookie mistakes just look at the Atlanta game and the Falcons defense is not the best in the NFL. He had to good pass vs a bad declining Ravens defense honestly would go with the seasoned vet in Rex if I had to makea choice in a must win game. We have not seen enough of Krik to make a judgment. we need a poll on this .

Archived