Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk: Five Rookies Made Tremendous Impact, One Proved his Worth without even Playing

KDawg

Something that often goes overlooked or unappreciated is that team chemistry and attitude is something you build over the course of several seasons, vets get reinspired, younger guys pick their game up and rooks come into an atmosphere of positive expectations and accountability so they never learn the bad habits. IMO it is why you see some teams steadily crank out success no matter how the roster changes and why some never seem to get it. We never had a continuous core of guys that knew winning, really knew to apply themselves as the foundation for the next generation. NOW we may see that change, more than just Griffin's magic they have a couple years of professionalism under their belts and can start to build (rebuild? rediscover?) the winning tradition that was Redskin football for so long.

I am to the point where the rest is gravy (long term). I would feel some disappointment if we lose out or only get to 8 wins, but coming into the season I wanted Griffin to play well and wanted tangible evidence that we were better. Check and check with our 7 wins.

We are going to be a strong, perennial contender moving forward which would make missing the playoffs this year something that I would handle. Our last couple playoff berths had a "strike while the iron is hot" feel to it. It felt like we had to do it then and there. This feels like the very beginning of something.

As much as I like RG3, the writing is on the wall, he's another Byron Leftwich, another Michael Vick:

RG3 is incapable of playing 16 games in one year, not a recipe for success. I hate to say it, but we need a franchise quarterback.

what are you talking about? RG3 is our franchise Qb. The oline is trash

I think we have it now, but I think Griffin IS the magic that made it all come together. Not once has he given up. Not once has he quit on his team. He played until he physically no longer could today. I don't think fans truly realize how inspiring that is. He hasn't done it yet, right now he's only been a reason for hope... But for the reasons I mentioned above that guy may trully be this franchise's savior. They love him. Even Cousins, who certainly couldn't have been disappointed he was playing, looked concerned for RG3 when Griff offered him kudos for the TD.

They are truly a team. Part of that, beyond Griff, is how Shanahan has drafted senior team captains. Another part is how freakin' hard Morris runs. Morris has impressed me this year, but particularly after he fumbles. He fumbles and then comes back and plays with angry intentions. Griff isn't the only reason, but he's the leader. A lot of the youngins' are playing integral leadership roles, though, and its rejuvenated guys like Santana Moss who has known very little bit misery as a Redskin.

Times are changing. It's too early to see a clear picture of what they're changing too, but the blurred vision we currently see looks AWESOME. :)

I am to the point where the rest is gravy (long term). I would feel some disappointment if we lose out or only get to 8 wins, but coming into the season I wanted Griffin to play well and wanted tangible evidence that we were better. Check and check with our 7 wins.

We are going to be a strong, perennial contender moving forward which would make missing the playoffs this year something that I would handle. Our last couple playoff berths had a "strike while the iron is hot" feel to it. It felt like we had to do it then and there. This feels like the very beginning of something.

I can understand that, but the offseason (especially in Washington) always brings change. I want to see our young guys grow together and see us bring in draft picks and low priced free agents to compliment our weaknesses. But if we were to say lose out, then we're likely to try to blame it on say RT or FS or whatever other position, and maybe go after another high priced guy who doesn't fit the system and possibly be looking at another Jamaal Brown or Arch or Haynesworth or Mcnabb. Hopefully we can continue to grow together so that the front office doesn't get trigger happy and learns to be patient when building a team instead of trying to fix everything in one offseason.

I can understand that, but the offseason (especially in Washington) always brings change. I want to see our young guys grow together and see us bring in draft picks and low priced free agents to compliment our weaknesses. But if we were to say lose out, then we're likely to try to blame it on say RT or FS or whatever other position, and maybe go after another high priced guy who doesn't fit the system and possibly be looking at another Jamaal Brown or Arch or Haynesworth or Mcnabb. Hopefully we can continue to grow together so that the front office doesn't get trigger happy and learns to be patient when building a team instead of trying to fix everything in one offseason.

We agree. It would just be hard to be down on this team with the way we have played through these first 13 games.

As much as I like RG3, the writing is on the wall, he's another Byron Leftwich, another Michael Vick:

RG3 is incapable of playing 16 games in one year, not a recipe for success. I hate to say it, but we need a franchise quarterback.

I rarely say things like this to people based on opinions, so please forgive me here:

Stop worrying. We have a franchise quarterback. If you don't think so, go cheer for Dallas. Or Philly. We've had quarterback after quarterback EVERY year since our last Super Bowl. Griff gets hurt (he hasn't missed a single game to this point, by the way, and most NFL quarterbacks don't make it through the year) and you're in full panic mode.

In other words, you're flat out wrong and should really think twice before you type such non sense.

I'll get behind Mike's rebuild through youth. Thats what I (and many others) have been calling for for such a long time. Sad that a lot of the guys who have been hurting us this year have been free agent pick ups.

Oh, come on. Exaggeration does not befit you. You act like we've got a bunch of over the hill free agent pick ups ruining everything. It's pretty much ONE, Madeiu Williams. Who else? Cedric Griffin I guess? You do realize those guys are on one year deals, right? Or does that matter? I guess you can add Jamal Brown to that list.

lol, you can't just put in young players everywhere for the sake of it. We signed those guys you're mentioning as "hurting us" to one year contracts for a reason. The Free Agent pickups that we gave long term deals to have been awesome for the most part. Would you rather not have Cofield, Carriker (acquired through trade then signed long term once a Free Agent), Bowen, Morgan or Garcon? Josh Wilson might be your only argument, but he was great for us last year. Hard to judge him this year when the entire secondary is struggling.

I just don't get this sentiment right now.

KDawg- thanks for the post...the 'skins have infused a lot of youth into this team and they are performing.

I keep forgetting that Jenkins is still essentially a rookie (you could argue that with Hankerson, as well).

Kobra Kai was HUGE in this game. What a find! How would any of us felt with Gano or Cundiff lining up for any of those 3 kicks (48, 49, & 34 to win it)?

I was actually fairly confident that he had a shot at all of them. I haven't felt that in years...probably since Lohmiller.

Regardless of what happens here on out (considering all the defensive injuries, etc.) anybody can tell the talent on the roster is rising and there is no quit.

Down 8, with less than 5 mins. to go and they find a way to get it done.

That is something to build upon!

Hail!

Stop worrying. We have a franchise quarterback. If you don't think so, go cheer for Dallas. Or Philly. <snip>

In other words, you're flat out wrong and should really think twice before you type such non sense.

You are in denial. The way RG3 plays the game (awesome!) has a big down side, it exposes him to injury. It's already happened now, when he's in his prime. Do you think he's gonna last longer next year? and the year after that?

He's gonna be older and all those injuries are cumulative. Open your eyes for crying out loud!

You are in denial. The way RG3 plays the game (awesome!) has a big down side, it exposes him to injury. It's already happened now, when he's in his prime. Do you think he's gonna last longer next year? and the year after that?

He's gonna be older and all those injuries are cumulative. Open your eyes for crying out loud!

i'm not in denial.

I don't think you're aware that only roughly 14 of 32 starting NFL quarterbacks ever complete a season. That leaves 18 that don't start every game. Some only miss a few games, some miss significant time. There is opportunity for him to be hurt often. But as of now he's started every game for us and you're worrying for no reason.

RG3 is our franchise QB, for 12 games per year.

Do you think as he gets older and sustains more injuries, he'll be able to play more games per year or less games per year?

We need a franchise QB that can play 16 games and RG3 ain't it.

RG3 is still a rookie and he still shows it at times. Luckily he's demonstrated that he's smart enough to learn a lesson. Eventually he will realize that he's too valuable being the man ON EVERY PLAY to jeopardize that by running recklessly, no matter how big a 3rd down play it is. Steve Young learned that lesson and became a Hall of Famer.

i'm not in denial....

But as of now he's started every game for us and you're worrying for no reason.

Allrighty then KDawg. Silly me, everything is be ok, everything is ok, RG3 can recuperate, everything is ok, RG3 will not get hurt again, everything will be ok... :ols:

I wish comments here could be downvoted. A QB who doesn't run would just get injured standing in the pocket eating hits. All he needs to do is learn how to get to the ground better. Not just sliding but not leaving limbs flailing in the air.

But let's not sugar coat it..... The run by RG3 was a very very dumb thing to do. He actually turned in towards the big lineman.

After his concussion he promised to stay away from such plays. His career won't be long if he does this too many times.

I think next year we will ween him off of the zone read fake passing game. It's pretty fun to watch him when he's just slinging it and I think he has all the talent to excel in those situations.

That's the strange thing that I've observed is that Griff can really sling it accurately and effectively! So troubling to see Cousins come in and run plays that RG3 should be running. I think the Shanahan do lean on Griff's athletic ability a little much.

It's still an odd feeling when I hear the announcers discussing the age of our team (especially on offense). We'll hear numbers like 22, 23, 26 etc being spouted off when over the years you'd be more likely to hear 29, 30, 31 as the core. When your FB can catch a 25+ rocket slant, that's impressive. Outside of all that, talk from fans on other forums is amazing. We aren't the butt of jokes anymore. Fans are scared of this team. Feels good man.

Archived