Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Alfred Morris Rushing Record Watch Thread *UDPATE: 110 Yards Away!*

JaimeDeCurry

With all the attention being payed to RGIII (deservedly so), little focus has been paid to the fact that Alfred Morris will almost certainly end up in the franchise's top ten for single-season rushing yards, and has an outside shot to set the franchise record - as a rookie! Sure, it's a little bit of a long shot, but with games remaining against the Ravens (allowing 125 yards/game), Eagles and Cowboys (he's already racked up 189 rushing yards against those two) it's a possibility - especially since the Redskins seem to be featuring Alfred more lately...the last two weeks were his 2nd and 3rd most carries per game.

I'll keep a game log updated here along with projected totals...let's see where the other half of our rookie dynamic duo ends up in the record books!

@NO - 28 carries, 96 yards, 2TD

@STL - 16 carries, 89 yards

CIN - 17 carries, 78 yards, 1TD

@TB - 21 carries, 113 yards, 1TD

ATL - 18 carries, 115 yards

MIN - 16 carries, 47 yards, 1TD

@NYG - 22 carries, 120 yards

@PIT - 13 carries, 59 yards

CAR - 13 carries, 76 yards

PHI - 20 carries, 76 yards

@DAL - 24 carries, 115 yards, 1TD

NYG - 22 carries, 124 yards

BAL - 23 carries, 122 yards, 1TD

@CLE - 27 carries, 87 yards, 2TD

@PHI - 22 carries, 91 yards, 1TD

TOTAL

302 carries, 1406 yards, 10TD

PROJECTED

322 carries, 1499 yards, 11TD

CURRENT STANDINGS

Season Rushing - 4th (Next: Stephen Davis, 1432)

Season Carries - 12th (Next: George Rogers, 303)

Season Touchdowns - T11th (Next: Clinton Portis, Gerald Riggs and Stephen Davis, 11)

PROJECTED STANDINGS

Season Rushing - 2nd (Current: Clinton Portis, 1487)

Season Carries - 11th (Current: George Rogers, 303)

Season Touchdowns - T7th (Current: Clinton Portis, Gerald Riggs and Stephen Davis, 11)

Alfred-Morris.jpg

Thanks for the thread. This will be fun to watch. As the weather turns bad in the final wintery weeks, he may have to shoulder more of the load. With 4 games to play, he's 410 yards away from Clinton Portis' single season record of 1,516 - definitely within reach.

Interestingly, he and this years' other rookie RB phenom, the Bucs Doug Martin, are currently in tied in rushing yards with 1,106 each.

I've said it for years now, anyone who takes a RB in the first round is stupid....even if its Adrian Peterson. Backs just don't affect the game like they used to and Shanny and others have proven over the years that chain movers like Morris can be found in the middle to late rounds on an almost yearly basis.

Trent Richardson is more physically gifted than Morris, but they are probably about equally effective....and that's a first round pick vs a 6th round pick.

I like where the Browns are headed, but thank God they over-valued Richardson and were sold on Weeden. They had more resources to make a deal than we did.

Morris needs 410 yards to reach the record - an average of 102.5 yards per game. In an eerily similar stat, against rushing defenses in the bottom half of the league, he's averaging 103 yards per game (5.0 yards per carry). Of our last four opponents, three are in the bottom half of the league (BAL, PHI, DAL).

Other reasons to keep giving Alfred the rock:

-The Skins are 4-1 in games where Morris scores a TD

-The Skins are 5-1 in games where Morris carries 20+ times

-Morris' yards per carry have gone up each game over the past three weeks (3.8, 4.7, 5.6)

---------- Post added December-7th-2012 at 12:29 PM ----------

Not to quibble, but he's projected to finish at 1,475 yards, not 1,476. ;)

Also, if he projects to finish at that number, he's be 40 yards ahead of Davis, wouldn't he? Should the projection be updated to #2 on the list?

Haha I must have rounded differently somewhere to gain that extra yard. Maybe we'll get a lucky spot from a ref lol.

For the projected stats, I put the person currently at that spot - Davis currently ranks #3 on the Redskins season rushing list.

I've said it for years now, anyone who takes a RB in the first round is stupid....even if its Adrian Peterson. Backs just don't affect the game like they used to and Shanny and others have proven over the years that chain movers like Morris can be found in the middle to late rounds on an almost yearly basis.

I mostly agree, except on AP. Every time I watch him play, I think he's on pace to be in the conversation for the all-time best running back. Barry Sanders and Walter Payton.

The Vikings would be in the playoffs if their QB was half competent. You know what's a depressing stat for them? AP has a higher yards per play than Ponder does. AP has 6.2 ypc, while Ponder has 6.0 yards per attempt. AP torched the Packers, 210 yards on only 21 carries. The only reason they lost that game was because Ponder was disastrous. He threw two red zone interceptions. If you put AP on the Redskins, we've got a 1st round BYE in the playoffs.

He is the exception. Every other running back, I agree with you. I don't like drafting a RB in the 1st round ever. Alfred Morris is great in our offense with his reads and decisions, no running backs would make enough of an improvement over him to justify drafting them in the rounds they were.

But I repeat, Adrian Peterson is the exception.

^I am an OU guy, and I still disagree. Do I think AD (that's how Sooners refer to him :) ), is the best RB in football and a Hall of Famer. But I still wouldn't take him in the first round...not today.

The difference in the W/L column between AD and an average NFL RB just isn't significant enough for me to justify the pick. The only way I would do it was if my team was loaded and I had the luxury. But you hit the nail on the head...Ponder is 10 times more important to them than AD...even with AD dominating weekly, they are likely headed to 7-9 or worse because they are flawed in other areas---namely QB.

-The Skins are 6-0 in games where Morris carries 20+ times

-Morris' yards per carry have gone up each game over the past three weeks (3.8, 4.7, 5.6)

That's kind of misleading. Teams who are winning will run the ball a lot in order to drain the clock.

But the last point is big, I feel like he's pretty comfortable with the o-line and has been getting better as the season goes on. I think he's starting to get to the point where he could have a big enough impact to take over a game. He had that impact with the Giants after the Fumble. He ran pissed and took it over.

I'm very excited to see how we play against the Ravens.

Morris needs 410 yards to reach the record - an average of 102.5 yards per game. In an eerily similar stat, against rushing defenses in the bottom half of the league, he's averaging 103 yards per game (5.0 yards per carry). Of our last four opponents, three are in the bottom half of the league (BAL, PHI, DAL).

Other reasons to keep giving Alfred the rock:

-The Skins are 4-1 in games where Morris scores a TD

-The Skins are 6-0 in games where Morris carries 20+ times

We lost to the Giants when Morris had 22 carries though.

Just did the math, and Alfred has to average 96 yards over the next three games to match the single-season record. Over our last three games, he's averaged just over 119 yards per game and posted a 5.2 ypc average. If he keeps this up, this season will be even more impressive than it's already shaped up to be. This offense really has the potential to be something very special for a long time.

Updated the OP to include today's win over Baltimore...Morris had another incredible game, rushing for over 100 yards again and putting him on pace for the #2 spot in franchise history! Give some props to the "other half" for today's grind-it-out win.

How is he projected for 1511 yards but behind portis who had 1487?

Archived