Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kilmer17's roadmap to fix the GOP

Kilmer17

• 2 weeks later...

So just how much influence does Saran Palin have in the right today? I barely hear anyone talk about her unless I decide to get bored and creep on free republic. There is no way she is still taken seriously by anyone who is not old and cranky.

Here's the latest from Queen of the Freepers. It's hilarious and painful to watch.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/08/sarah-palin-picks-imaginary-fight-elizabeth-warren-loses

'We believe?' Wait, I thought fast food joints, hurh. Don’t you guys think that they’re like of the Devil or somethin’ I was. Liberals, you want to send those evil employees who would dare work at a fast food joint then ya just don’t believe in, thought you wanted to, I dunno, send them to Purgatory or somethin’ so they all go VEGAN and, uh, wages and picket lines I dunno they’re not often discussed in Purgatory, are they? I dunno why are you even worried about fast food wages because dha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rff8LDkOw0U

So just how much influence does Saran Palin have in the right today?

In the right wing world?  Some.

In real world of politics?  Zero.  In fact, less than Zero.  GOPers running will gain support if they publically call her out.

As of Friday, three GOP presidential hopefuls have faced or are facing corruption charges in McDonnell, Christie and Perry. WTF? McConnell seems jail bound from the news reports. Perry says its BS, but it does sound like corruption on its face to me. And there has been a grand jury indictment, so it can't be total crap. And Christie may be the worst of the three though he has mostly walked away from the scandal.

As of Friday, three GOP presidential hopefuls have faced or are facing corruption charges in McDonnell, Christie and Perry. WTF? McConnell seems jail bound from the news reports. Perry says its BS, but it does sound like corruption on its face to me. And there has been a grand jury indictment, so it can't be total crap. And Christie may be the worst of the three though he has mostly walked away from the scandal.

McConnell sounds like it might be an actual scandal. (If I'm thinking of the right one). They've got money changing hands, and they have favors being performed.

Perry? Now that somebody has posted another interesting tidbit, I'm not really certain there's any scandal there. Yes, I understand that there's an indictment. Maybe they actually found something. But I also understand that some times, it's not that hard for a prosecutor to manipulate a grand jury into doing what he wants.

Christie? Yeah, his scandal is certainly something the voters can wrap their minds around. But I think it's "old news" to most people, already.

I know there's been a lot of talk that the Perry indictment is ****apoo and a political act.  But, this is what I understand about it.

An elected official got a DUI and generally made an ass of herself.  Perry called for her resignation, though he has no power to fire her.  She refused to resign.  Perry then vetoed all funding to her department.

Is that right?  If so, that does sound like abuse of power to me.  That would be like Obama refusing to pay Congress' salary and wages because they won't vote on a bill he wants them to vote on.  

Someone explain to me where I'm going wrong.

I know there's been a lot of talk that the Perry indictment is ****apoo and a political act.  But, this is what I understand about it.

An elected official got a DUI and generally made an ass of herself.  Perry called for her resignation, though he has no power to fire her.  She refused to resign.  Perry then vetoed all funding to her department.

Is that right?  If so, that does sound like abuse of power to me.  That would be like Obama refusing to pay Congress' salary and wages because they won't vote on a bill he wants them to vote on.  

Someone explain to me where I'm going wrong.

It would be more like Obama refusing to pay Congress' salary and wages because Senator Cruz  got a DUI.

He didnt veto all funds to her dept.

He vetoed state funding for one of her pet initiatives if she didnt resign, the Public Integrity Unit.  She refused.  He vetoed, and the funding had to come from local municipalities.

Perry has the power to veto.  Anything.  For any reason he wants.  This should be a non story. 

Andrew Cuomo though?  Why isnt that leading every news cast?

He didnt veto all funds to her dept.

He vetoed state funding for one of her pet initiatives if she didnt resign, the Public Integrity Unit.  She refused.  He vetoed, and the funding had to come from local municipalities.

Perry has the power to veto.  Anything.  For any reason he wants.  This should be a non story. 

Andrew Cuomo though?  Why isnt that leading every news cast?

What did Andrew Cuomo do?

You don't think its an abuse to veto funding for a department or a sub-department because you think the elected official should resign?  I mean... that does irk me.  It does sound like abuse of power.  

What did Andrew Cuomo do?

You don't think its an abuse to veto funding for a department or a sub-department because you think the elected official should resign?  I mean... that does irk me.  It does sound like abuse of power.  

Not to me.  It's par for the course.  quid pro quo kind of stuff.

Andrew Cuomo though?

He formed a ethics investigation committee (the Moreland Commission) designed to look into corruption in NY state Govt.  He got lots of positive press about it last year with a bunch of convictions.

However, at some point, the Commission subpoened records from a media firm with ties to the Governor, and when his office found out abolut it, they shut the whole Commission down.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/07/31/andrew-cuomo-is-in-trouble-but-probably-not-for-reelection/

If this had been a GOP Governor, it would still be leading the news.

Andrew Cuomo though?

He formed a ethics investigation committee (the Moreland Commission) designed to look into corruption in NY state Govt.  He got lots of positive press about it last year with a bunch of convictions.

However, at some point, the Commission subpoened records from a media firm with ties to the Governor, and when his office found out abolut it, they shut the whole Commission down.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/07/31/andrew-cuomo-is-in-trouble-but-probably-not-for-reelection/

Just to be contrarian, here, does the Governor have the authority to shut down government commissions? 

And if we're playing the "but what about . . . " game, how do you feel about firing a federal prosecutor because he refused orders to start an investigation into a politician, so that his opponent could leak the fact that he was under investigation? 

:)

----------

I think I agree with a more subtle point that I think you were making: 

One sure appears to be done for the purpose of ending an investigation into the governor.  And the other might be, but I haven't heard even any allegations that it was) 

Andrew Cuomo though?

That looks pretty bad.  Is Cuomo a presidential candidate though?  I do agree, it looks as bad as anything.

I just am not sure I agree with Perry that this is nothing against him.  And frankly, I think he's doing some things now that can be used against him if the case goes to trial.  He seems to not care that he could go to prison.

I think Perry is a terrible potential candidate.  He wouldnt get my vote.

But this is just a trumped up bs charge.  If Alan Dershowitz and Axelrod are defending him, he's gotta feel pretty good about his chances to avoid prison.

Cuomo is a second tier candidate at this point.  But that all changes if Hillary doesnt run.

I just am not sure I agree with Perry that this is nothing against him.  And frankly, I think he's doing some things now that can be used against him if the case goes to trial.  He seems to not care that he could go to prison.

the law seems to be clearly in Perry's favor....but I have no doubt those that abuse the law and their position will use the indictment against him time and time again

I will enjoy mocking them all along the way :lol: ....having the right enemies is a plus

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsV1dUoFrX2zPsO1foR5Dt0HnXy-qAmsF8-ROUY6bSnAeWCbP9-A

what do ya have to blow for a sherriff to spring ya drunk ass again around here?....I got a ethics meeting to run.

Given our choices. It's a choice between pond scum and grease trap scum

things like being a former Dem and Al Gore cheerleader are kinda hard to scrape off. ......he still smells funny as well :P   

I hear everyone still saying its a farce or "nothing there," but I think this article does a good job of explaining that there are legitimate reasons to indict.  Maybe not convict, but that this does look like a criminal act:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/nobody-died-and-made-rick-perry-king-110131.html?hp=pm_1#.U_OJJcVdV8E

So there’s really no question that Perry tried to coerce Lehmberg into resigning. But the charge of abuse of office is probably in the eye of the juror. Can a governor decide who should and should not serve in local elected offices? Show me where the Texas constitution grants him that power, and I’ll drop it. I know the Democratic Party died and made him governor, but who died and made him king? This—Perry reaching into a county office and trying to overturn an election—is the actual separation of powers issue at play.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/nobody-died-and-made-rick-perry-king-110131.html#ixzz3ArOrdDKn

Here's sort of the ultimate concern I had.  This was an elected official who obviously deserved to be punished according to the law.  That being said, she was elected by her constituents, and she was not impeached or censured appropriately.  Instead, a state official just decided to shut down her entire office unless she resigned.  

This author makes a big deal out of a single investigation.  But more broadly, who is Rick Perry to say that this county didn't want her to continue in her job because she is a good prosecutor?  Why does Rick Perry get to make that decision for the county's citizens?  

I think this is a technical example of abuse of power and coercion.  I can see why this is very close, and a jury might disagree.  But what I've heard, it almost sounds like summ judge in the civil arena. He seems to have admitted he did all this.  It wasn't his place to do it.  That's the only thing.

Archived