Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Observations from yesterday's game

The Trashman

They better take a good at the tape and look at the way Riley played. This guy was jogging around the field, not running. Even though a whistle was blown during Williams TD, Riley made no effort to tackle, and I doubt his attempt would have been much had no whistle blown. TE Olsen was catching balls on Riley all day. Our defense at one point managed a 3 and out on them only because Olsen dropped an easy pass, Riley covering was 5 ft behind on coverage. Bench this guy now. His only objective here is a paycheck. Until this team is purged of players with this mentality, we will go no where.

It was a little too high, I dont even think Hank got his fingers on it despite jumping. I know he jumped because I remember being surprised that he actually tried to catch it that much. Never a good sign.

Man, saw that play over and over on the DVR ... the ball hit him smack middle of his left palm.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:49 AM ----------

It was a little too high, I dont even think Hank got his fingers on it despite jumping. I know he jumped because I remember being surprised that he actually tried to catch it that much. Never a good sign.

You are right, Hank didn't get his fingers on it ... he got his entire left PALM on it! go back and see it. the ball was not perfect, but it should have been at least a real close catch, it wasn't even that.

I thought Hankerson looked better yesterday. He seemed to have a bit more energy and effort catching the ball than he he did in previous games.
REALLY? Wow , if we start accepting this kind of play from our WR's as good enough. We're more done then we think.

12) Danny Smith has to go. Happy Bang? :ols:

Hey, you sap him and get him in the trunk, and i'll drive.

~Bang

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 04:56 PM ----------

Wow, and according to insiders, Riley is supposed to be the one groomed to take over London's captain spot when he retires. How is Riley going to line up everyone if he doesn't know what's going on? Sigh...

I noticed several times yesterday Riley and London were yelling and arguing pre-snap.

Actully, London yelling at Riley... who looked lost.

London's legs may be failing him, but tht doesn't affect his brain, and as far as I'm concerned, Mr. Riley, if London tells you to do something, you say "YES SIR" and get right on doing it.

~Bang

REALLY? Wow , if we start accepting this kind of play from our WR's as good enough. We're more done then we think.

I don't know, maybe I missed a play yesterday where he dropped a pass he should've caught. I thought he looked better yesterday than he did in previous weeks when having the ball thrown to him. I'm not saying he had a studly performance. He seemed to show a bit more effort when having the ball thrown to him.

Hey, you sap him and get him in the trunk, and i'll drive.

~Bang

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 04:56 PM ----------

I noticed several times yesterday Riley and London were yelling and arguing pre-snap.

Actully, London yelling at Riley... who looked lost.

London's legs may be failing him, but tht doesn't affect his brain, and as far as I'm concerned, Mr. Riley, if London tells you to do something, you say "YES SIR" and get right on doing it.

~Bang

Perry Riley has been a huge disappointment. I had hopes for the kid, but he's brought nothing to the table. The offseason can't come fast enough. I'd be ok with wholesale coaching changes--keep Bruce Allen, who I think has done an admirable job thus far.

I observed the lack of communication with the LBs. I also wonder if Fletch maybe losing confidence of his teamates. It was a 4th down or 3rd and short. You clearly saw Fletch telling Perry Riley to slide over... "Slide over!!!"...Perry kept looking at him, but didnt move...guess where they converted the 3rd down. I was so pissed...You could see London Fletcher yelling at him after the play...and you could also see the lack of concern on Riley's face. This bothers me. I think Haslett's inability to make adjustments to help the defense may be creatig a cancer on defense. What say yous?

--Super frustratedHTTR

At least one person read the gameplan. Before yesterday's game, Newton had 115 yards on 3rd down... the rest of the Panthers had a total of 6. London knew they were running over the left guard and he needed Riley to move over there and take on the running back to London could make the tackle. They ran the exact play London was looking for and because Riley didn't move up into the hole, Newton was able to follow his back and London makes that play 5 yards downfield instead of 2. First down Carolina.

I don't know, maybe I missed a play yesterday where he dropped a pass he should've caught. I thought he looked better yesterday than he did in previous weeks when having the ball thrown to him. I'm not saying he had a studly performance. He seemed to show a bit more effort when having the ball thrown to him.

Hank honestly looks scared. Like he hasn't forgotten the pain of his injury last year.

His concentration is bad.. and when he does make a catch, he can't find th ground fast enough.

Yesterday he caught one at the four, and doubled over waiting for the hit.

Hell, he's tall enough that one or two more steps and he's in. In a tight game he's got to man up and be more concerned about getting the points than taking a hit. He's got a big body, and he looks afraid to use it.

~Bang

To Kyle's defense, he called some decent plays in the Redzone near the end...Hank caught a TD (illegal shift?), and RGIII ran it up the gut (holding). Penalties kill this team, it's ridiculous.

I agree with Bang in regards to Hank. He looks like he is playing scared. It's like he has the body of McCants and the heart of Todd Pinkston.

Morgan hasn't really delivered. Aldrick can't seem to hit his stride. It's a bummer to say that Paulsen was easily the best receiver out there yesterday. At least he held onto the ball after contact.

TV replay got a real good shot of the ball going right through his hands. It was a really tough catch but this is the NFL and you get paid to make those catches. Rather you REALLY get paid if you can make those catches!

I don't mind Josh Morgan.. he's not the type of receiver to turn into your #1 threat.. he's not a downfield guy,, he's an underneath receiver, possession type guy.

and he's pretty good at that, I think.

he has some polishing to do, but he's a keeper.

I like his attitude, he's scrappy and plays hard.

~Bang

I don't mind Josh Morgan.. he's not the type of receiver to turn into your #1 threat.. he's not a downfield guy,, he's an underneath receiver, possession type guy.

and he's pretty good at that, I think.

he has some polishing to do, but he's a keeper.

I like his attitude, he's scrappy and plays hard.

~Bang

I think Hank and Morgan are both decent/good number 3/4 guys. Garcon is at least a very good number 2 but we have not seen enough from him go know if he can be the number 1 type - in any case I think we are still missing another starting receiver who can provide a reliable down field target.

I think Hank and Morgan are both decent/good number 3/4 guys. Garcon is at least a very good number 2 but we have not seen enough from him go know if he can be the number 1 type - in any case I think we are still missing another starting receiver who can provide a reliable down field target.

When KC made it known they'd take a 3rd for |Bowe,, i'd love to know why we didn't try for that.

I have no problem spending a pick on a quality proven YOUNG veteran.

Bowe is a stud, and he doesn't have to be taught how to play in the NFL.

Hankerson is a 3rd.. and he's still learning t play the position. (He's not unusual, even if he's been hurt.. receivers they say usually don't become productive until their 3rd year.)

To get Bowe for the same price, minus the adjustment time?

I'd love to know why not.

~Bang

When KC made it known they'd take a 3rd for |Bowe,, i'd love to know why we didn't try for that.

do we have 9.5 million in cap space? otherwise he would probably go to the highest bidder next season and we would have rented a player for 8 games, and lost a valuable 3rd round pick.

do we have 9.5 million in cap space? otherwise he would probably go to the highest bidder next season and we would have rented a player for 8 games, and lost a valuable 3rd round pick.

Ah yes,, the technicalities.

thanks

~Bang

Perry Riley has been a huge disappointment. I had hopes for the kid, but he's brought nothing to the table. The offseason can't come fast enough. I'd be ok with wholesale coaching changes--keep Bruce Allen, who I think has done an admirable job thus far.

He's been playing pretty well IMO - Fletchers fall off is my biggest concern

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 02:11 PM ----------

They better take a good at the tape and look at the way Riley played. This guy was jogging around the field, not running. Even though a whistle was blown during Williams TD, Riley made no effort to tackle, and I doubt his attempt would have been much had no whistle blown. TE Olsen was catching balls on Riley all day. Our defense at one point managed a 3 and out on them only because Olsen dropped an easy pass, Riley covering was 5 ft behind on coverage. Bench this guy now. His only objective here is a paycheck. Until this team is purged of players with this mentality, we will go no where.

I'm sorry but blaming Riley for all the TE catches is ridiculous, the number on the jersey that was covering Olsen for the majority of the game was 59

as for the blown whistle td... anyone would have stopped and not hit williams, that's the role of the whistle - if he hit him and he actually did step out then you would be calling for his head then.

I hate to state it but watching yesterday's game (and notably watching our defense) leads me to believe we'll be In a dogfight in every game remaining. The defense is just awful. AWFUL! it seemed like Carolina could run for at least 5 yards before we even laid a finger on the runner. I saw multiple plays where we got beaten and then over-pursued, making an already bad play even worse. Griffin continues to take a pounding that at times made me wince. The final indignity for me personally was my wife asking me "I thought you said that this year would be different?" I know there are plenty of positives for us and we appear to finally be on the right track but there is still a serious lack of playmakers on both sides of he ball. Knock out our few gamers (Orakpo/Garcon/Davis) and we get beaten soundly by a very marginal Panthers squad. *sigh*

Deejay, by "dogfight" i think you mean "shootout".. our defense has no fight.

We'll simply have to outscore people.

Couple other random thoughts..

I'm only guessing here, but I'd say in the last month, opposing punters are averaging maybe 3 punts against us per game?

We don't force a team off the field very often.

I'm willing to say London's hammy is bugging him more than his age is.

His age is a factor, but that hammy is making him a target.

~Bang

yea it was. the pass was like 2 inches too high. otherwise it would have hit him straight in the hands

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 09:39 AM ----------

fwiw, I think Kyle is doing a good job at calling plays but he needs to get more traditional especially in the red zone

I agree. All opponent D are now looking for RGIII to run. You would think that this would open up a passing lane or 2?

What I took from the game:

1. Zero Pressure on Cam. Once again playing that soft zone coverage wide open receivers all over the field.

2. Miscues you could blame it on poor coaching or lack of talent or both (Dropped Passes that NFL Receivers should catch and penalties)

3. For the love of God Kyle please stop with the trick plays. Let the handcuffs of RG III open up the vertical passing game the Panthers were number 31 in pass coverage.

4. The team (excluding RG III and Ryan Kerrigan) gave up in the second half.

I hate to state it but watching yesterday's game (and notably watching our defense) leads me to believe we'll be In a dogfight in every game remaining. The defense is just awful. AWFUL! it seemed like Carolina could run for at least 5 yards before we even laid a finger on the runner. I saw multiple plays where we got beaten and then over-pursued, making an already bad play even worse. Griffin continues to take a pounding that at times made me wince. The final indignity for me personally was my wife asking me "I thought you said that this year would be different?" I know there are plenty of positives for us and we appear to finally be on the right track but there is still a serious lack of playmakers on both sides of he ball. Knock out our few gamers (Orakpo/Garcon/Davis) and we get beaten soundly by a very marginal Panthers squad. *sigh*

Agreed. Not much has changed here. I thought our depth was supposed to SO much better. It clearly is not. Over pursuing , missed tackles, dropped passes, no pass rush, and marginal oline. We are not playoff material.

Archived