Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offense! Offense! Disregard the defense another year in 2013! Here's why!

skinfan2k

Since we're built around play-action and misdirection, we get killed when we're forced to come from behind. We need better offensive pieces(o-line anyone?), but we really need a defense that can make some stops and keep the games close(ish). Drops are our best defense apparently.

If anyone actually thinks we have a good OL just rewatch the 2nd half of today's game...our OL sucks...

See, I don't necessarily agree. I think the OL is fine when they can play from either even or ahead, where they can mix run and pass, use the play action game, and that kind of thing.

They are not great when they have to just drop back and sling it. It also doesn't help that in those situations, our WR corps doesn't get immediate separation, and RGIII holds onto the ball.

When they are working out of the play-action game, everything is pretty smooth. When they have to go to straight drop-backs, they don't do that that well. But, historically, most offenses when they get down and have to become one dimensional struggle.

RT is the one spot where I think they definitely need an upgrade.

---------- Post added November-4th-2012 at 04:45 PM ----------

Since we're built around play-action and misdirection, we get killed when we're forced to come from behind. We need better offensive pieces(o-line anyone?), but we really need a defense that can make some stops and keep the games close(ish). Drops are our best defense apparently.

Totally agree. The OL/offense works well all around when you're in the game, close or ahead. When you get behind, the whole thing sortof falls apart.

See, I don't necessarily agree. I think the OL is fine when they can play from either even or ahead, where they can mix run and pass, use the play action game, and that kind of thing.

They are not great when they have to just drop back and sling it. It also doesn't help that in those situations, our WR corps doesn't get immediate separation, and RGIII holds onto the ball.

When they are working out of the play-action game, everything is pretty smooth. When they have to go to straight drop-backs, they don't do that that well. But, historically, most offenses when they get down and have to become one dimensional struggle.

If a team is only rushing 4 linemen...a good Oline will give the QB time.....ours doesn't....

RGIII's feet and our play-action make them look better than they are....we still need alot of help...

If a team is only rushing 4 linemen...a good Oline will give the QB time.....ours doesn't....

RGIII's feet and our play-action make them look better than they are....we still need alot of help...

^^^ good argument. I think it falls somewhere between what voice of reason said and what you said. They aren't terrible but they aren't good either. They are limited.

The interior is okay, and Trent played well all game, usually when Hardy got a sack it was a stunt into Lich or Monty. Most of the sacks were just Charlie Johnson just flat out destroying Polumbus.

It's okay that scheme makes up for talent - that's how it works for many if not most OLs. But we do need an upgrade at RT fast.

Polombus gets thrown around like a rag doll !!! Royster is a joke !!!!SLOW ,DUMB, SOFT !!!!CUT HIM NOW!!!!!!

yea, let's just cut everyone on the team like it's high school. then we'll go to the rival high school and recruit players off there!! SMART MOVE.

Our RT cannot sustain pass protection in known passing situations and we have to rely on scheme and QB playmaking to mask his inadequacy. Can we get away with most of them time? Sure depending on the score and the situation. But our pass protection and OL is generally worse then the sack totals and rushing yards suggest.

And how do you feel about the Oline after today's game? My statement still stands: Add Oline and DB.

You mean they had a bad game? or RG3 held the ball for way to long? Was a little both, and when your RB is averaging above 6 yards a carry. I would say it's pretty good.

My statement still stands.

You mean they had a bad game? or RG3 held the ball for way to long? Was a little both, and when your RB is averaging above 6 yards a carry. I would say it's pretty good.

My statement still stands.

It also doesn't help that our WRs aren't getting open quickly. That comes back to injuries to Garcon and Davis.

I think the problems in pass protection go 1. RT, 2. RB/TEs, 3. WRs getting open quickly, 4. RGIII. Polumbus gets taken down far too quickly. Royster simply cannot block. Morgan, Hank, Robinson, etc. do not get open quickly enough, and as a result RGIII holds onto the ball too long.

The thing is, 2 of those things can be fixed simply by getting injuries healed for Garcon and Davis, #3 and #4. #2 might even be that way too, or at least we can procure a low cost blocking RB in the offseason without much investment. #1, RT is, without a doubt, the toughest of those 4 problems to fix is #1, the RT.

Archived