Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offense! Offense! Disregard the defense another year in 2013! Here's why!

skinfan2k

We're already a top 7 offense though. Number three overall in total yds, 6th in yds/gm and 7th in points/gm; and in the top 10 in most other categories (including 4th in yds/reception and 2nd in yds/pass attempt).

I do agree to some extent though. Rodgers has had a terrible D behind him for years and they still find themselves winning double digit games. If RG3 had half the playmakers that Rodgers has, we would be walking away from teams early and often.

Edit: I know Bowe is somewhat of a headcase, but I'd like to see him in the B&G. I think Shanahan can get him to buy into the system. With Bowe, Garcon, Davis, and Moss in the slot, we'd be scary.

Packers have Charles Woodson AJ Hawk, Clay Matthews and BJ Raji. Granted their D isn't that great, it isn't as bad as some of ya'll make it out to be. Those are so top notch players. Game changers. We have no one like that on our D.

I 'd have to lean on the 'no' side of this debate. The offense has already picked up quite a bit from last year, and with RGIII, a healthy Morris, Garcon, and Davis, along with complimentary help from other receivers who learn to CATCH the ball, the offense will be fine.

From the damage that Haslett has done to the defense, that side of the ball needs much more help, mostly in the secondary. Once the the defense begins to come around, and the offense is scoring points and we begin to look like a threat, players will be looking to come here; and with Danny's wallet opened wide, its an even more attractive picture, and the choices will be more plentiful.

There are alot of players who are looking to get paid who don't deserve it, and we've gone through quite a few receivers in the last few years, so its time to beef up the defense a little, IMO...

Eh...I think the biggest offensive hole is RT, and that's pretty much it.

What are the offensive positions and are they set for us?

QB: Set

RB: Morris as power/workhorse back, Helu as speed back (when healthy)

OL: Williams is set; Lich has earned another year; Monty has quietly been solid; Chester is iffy, but his heir apparent is probably on the roster already (LeRib, or Hurt); the only spot in desperate need of a shift is RT.

WR: Assuming we let Moss and Banks go, we'd have Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Briscoe, and Robinson. We'll add someone, but it'll probably be developmental depth, unless we decide to go all in for Bowe or something.

TE: Fred Davis is a solid #1, Paulson has been surprisingly competent as a #2, Paul is still developing.

FB: Young is solid.

The only major weak spot right now is RT, with the second weak spot probably being RG, but we've got developing options there.

We could see an upgrade from a big solid WR, but I think, in terms of W/L, the gains from focusing heavily on defense will far outweigh the gains from focusing on offense, so long as we still address RT.

I like your breakdown. I agree that RT is an area of need, but Polumbus has been good, not great. Yes, I would upgrade from him if I could, but I don't think it's dire. I think Chester has quietly put together a good season. I like the youngsters we got.

I'm not sure if I want to go after Bowe or not. I'd like to see what else is out there before committing a ton of money to him.

I'd go NT with our 2nd round pick and then BPA with the other picks, concentrating on defense, but mixing in a couple of offensive guys. In reality, I can see Allen maybe trading up with some of the picks, because I'm not so sure all 8 picks would make the team. 10 picks made the team the year before and then all the picks made the team this year. So I'm not sure if there's room on the roster for that many picks. You may see us leverage our way back into the 1st round if there is a player we really like.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2012 at 11:06 AM ----------

And some of you keep including Moss next year. I think this is his last year with the team and it wouldn't surprise me to see Robinson take over the slot next year.

Romo sits to pee? You put Ogletree, Austin and Robinson on any other team ... they are not the same. In fact Robinson has less catches this year so far than he did TD's last year.

I was right there with you until you got to Romo sits to pee. Every once in awhile, he'll use his mobility to make something out of nothing, but other then that, he's just not all that good.

I see him as about equal to Rex Grossman. Very similar player.

Both units will be better next year if we can keep the damn injuries at bay. They've destroyed us this year, especially on defense. But we MUST improve there, at least in the secondary. As my new sig suggests, The Tarantula is sickened by this turn of events.

All you can say, but we need help at OL. The rest will be fine with me.

The O'Line has been a pleasant surprise this year IMO. Part of that is the game planning and use of play action plus RGIII's mobility but still they are grading out as a pretty good line this year. We could certainly upgrade RT and maybe RG as well (although Chester has played much better the last couple of games) but overall its not an area in anywhere near as much need of upgrade as our secondary and pass rush IMO.

Am I the only one wondering why the OP chose "top 7" versus "top 5" or "top 10"?

Yes, you are the only one......

Safety is a need after two top 5 picks and letting Ryan Clark go. Jeez. Merriweather and Tanard Jackson were supposed to be our starters but we got neither. We can't blame that on Haslett. Oldfan is right...we aren't trying to equalize offense and defense but get the talent mix that gives the team the best chance to win. I still think that means Defense over Offense assuming relatively equal player ranking. Whatever the Skins do I'm going to be a bit pissed if they can't field a competitive team in year 5.

I agree with this OP, but not because of the same reason. Only because we don't really need anything on defense except a game changing, roaming-center-field type of Safety (Sean Taylor's loss still hurts us). We have to whatever it takes next offseason to get that guy, be it through the draft or free agency. We all knew from the start what every good, aggressive, 3-4 is mainly composed of and that's a NT that can clog up the middle, OLBs who can pass rush and a Safety that can roam the field and make plays. The coaches all have said this from the start. Right now, we've got the NT (though we could improve a tad bit there, but it's not necessary we can win with Cofield), we have the OLBs (though our best one is hurt right now and we're suffering for it), but we have absolutely no one at Safety. We saw how good our defense looked at times early in 2010 when Laron Landry was playing at a high level and that was without a good NT and only one good OLB.

WE NEED NEED NEED A DOMINATING SAFETY. If we can get that guy, our defense will improve in a big way, even if the rest of the remaining pieces stay the same. We might not be elite on D, but we'll be ok. That's all our offense needs our D to be.

We can then spend most of our other resources upgrading the Offense by way of Oline and skill positions. Heck, I'd love to get a game changer at RB as well... Morris is awesome, but he'd be even better if he were the Michael Turner to someone's Ladanian Tomlinson if you know what I mean. Teams are already having headaches dealing with the duo of RG3 and Morris, and that's knowing Morris isn't a speed guy and will get big chucks of yards but not many home runs... imagine if they also had to worry about a guy like Adrian Peterson back there, my God.

I don't regard Garcon as a #1. I have him as a decent #2.

The goal is to make the greatest improvement in the team, not to equalize offense and defense.

Agreed, but QB production will affect WR production. Yeah we need a number one WR, but wouldn't you admit we need a number one corner more?

A top corner IMO would make a bigger improvement right now vs. a number one WR.

3-4 is mainly composed of and that's a NT that can clog up the middle, OLBs who can pass rush and a Safety that can roam the field and make plays. The coaches all have said this from the start. Right now, we've got the NT (though we could improve a tad bit there, but it's not necessary we can win with Cofield), we have the OLBs (though our best one is hurt right now and we're suffering for it), but we have absolutely no one at Safety.

I totally disagree with you, brother. We need a free safety, for sure. But I'd actually say that we need a nose tackle more. Cofield has performed admirably, but he's very undersized to play that role in a 2-gap 3-4 system. He'd be a phenomenal fit at end, and he'd be allowed to play more of "his" game from that position. In fact, I think he'd be much more effective in that role. I think we need a proper nose more than anything if we stick with the 3-4.

I'd go NT with our 2nd round pick and then BPA with the other picks, concentrating on defense, but mixing in a couple of offensive guys. In reality, I can see Allen maybe trading up with some of the picks, because I'm not so sure all 8 picks would make the team. 10 picks made the team the year before and then all the picks made the team this year. So I'm not sure if there's room on the roster for that many picks. You may see us leverage our way back into the 1st round if there is a player we really like.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2012 at 11:06 AM ----------

And some of you keep including Moss next year. I think this is his last year with the team and it wouldn't surprise me to see Robinson take over the slot next year.

I'd love to get a legit NT, but unless Meriweather pans out AND we make big moves in FA, safety has to be a priority. Our defense is going to see the biggest boosts from, in (my personal) order; better safeties, Orakpo and Kerrigan back, better CBs, and a better NT.

The Dline racked up a solid number of sacks last year for a group that isn't supposed to generate pressure (CCandB got 14.5 combined), so that grouping I could see being fine for a year. IMO, I'd like to see Jenkins bulk up and slide inside and see what we have there before we spend a 2nd (unless it's a 1st round talent NT that falls).

And yeah, Moss is due 4.15M base and 1.66M signing bonus. Way too high for his value. I love the guy, but something is going to change for next year.

To be fair...

There are only a handful of #1's in the NFL: Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne and MAYBE Brandon Marshall.

Getting a #1 receiver would be a major luxury unless come draft time the BPA is a guy we think could be a #1 receiver, and it's not likely to happen in round 2.

What's always interesting to me as well, is when people seem to talk all the time about #1 receivers...how many on that list have a Super Bowl ring? Or have even come close for that matter? One. Reggie Wayne & that's it.

We don't NEED the #1 receiver to go deep into the playoffs, and frankly, it's a luxury we can't afford at this time.

Eh...I think the biggest offensive hole is RT, and that's pretty much it.

What are the offensive positions and are they set for us?

QB: Set

RB: Morris as power/workhorse back, Helu as speed back (when healthy)

OL: Williams is set; Lich has earned another year; Monty has quietly been solid; Chester is iffy, but his heir apparent is probably on the roster already (LeRib, or Hurt); the only spot in desperate need of a shift is RT.

WR: Assuming we let Moss and Banks go, we'd have Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Briscoe, and Robinson. We'll add someone, but it'll probably be developmental depth, unless we decide to go all in for Bowe or something.

TE: Fred Davis is a solid #1, Paulson has been surprisingly competent as a #2, Paul is still developing.

FB: Young is solid.

The only major weak spot right now is RT, with the second weak spot probably being RG, but we've got developing options there.

We could see an upgrade from a big solid WR, but I think, in terms of W/L, the gains from focusing heavily on defense will far outweigh the gains from focusing on offense, so long as we still address RT.

At this point in their careers, I would probably rank Marshall ahead of Wayne, but that's an opinion thing.

Reggie Wayne is not a #1 WR anymore.

What's always interesting to me as well, is when people seem to talk all the time about #1 receivers...how many on that list have a Super Bowl ring? Or have even come close for that matter? One. Reggie Wayne & that's it.

We don't NEED the #1 receiver to go deep into the playoffs, and frankly, it's a luxury we can't afford at this time.

A legit #1 WR is never a luxury. That's like saying we don't need a #1 CB or a #1 LT or a #1 edge rusher.

If we draft a top corner, I think you are counting your chickens thinking we will have him in a place he dominates, press man for instance.

The Carlos cushion is well documented. What a wasted pick that turned out to be. Getting a good cover corner with size, playing off the LOS yet in cover 2, releasing the DeSean's of the league at full speed headed deep onto our FS, it will be an exercise in futility.

Seeing the great corners of the league on ****ty teams or defenses, I think the scheme more dictates success or failure. Not adding 1 star.

I would have to disagree.

It would be different if we needed a francise QB, but I think the guy we picked up in the draft this year, might be ok ;-)

If this season has showed us anything so far, it's that it doesn't matter if you can score 30 points a game, if your defence is letting in 37!

I know that the NFL has become more of a passing league, but I believe the odd adage applies, Offense wins game, Defense wins championships.

Yeah. The 2001 Colts were the second scoring offense in the NFL and thirty first defense. They finished 6-10 that year despite putting up 413 points and averaging 25.8 points a game. Not to mention the only times "The Greatest Show On Turf" led Rams made it to any Superbowls was when they had a top tier defense. So yeah defense does matter.

I'd actually say that we need a nose tackle more. Cofield has performed admirably, but he's very undersized to play that role in a 2-gap 3-4 system. He'd be a phenomenal fit at end, and he'd be allowed to play more of "his" game from that position. In fact, I think he'd be much more effective in that role. I think we need a proper nose more than anything if we stick with the 3-4.

Ok but that move would come at a cost. Skins would have a lot of cap room tied up in their DEs Carriker, Cofield, Bowen + the 2nd round pick invested in Jenkins. One of the backups would have to be let go and a draft pick or free agent money allocated to the new NT. Let's say the NT comes at the cost of a draft pick or free agent money for CB. Would you make that choice or would you consider switching the two gap NT to a one-gap? Could Cofield succeed as a one-gap NT? Or, more importantly would the entire front perform better in the one-gap than it currently does as two gap? How much better does the new NT in a two gap have to be to justify losing a new CB?

Archived