Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP poll: Majority harbor prejudice against blacks

AsiaticSkinsFan

Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the United States elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward blacks whether they recognize those feelings or not.

Those views could cost President Barack Obama votes as he tries for re-election, the survey found, though the effects are mitigated by some Americans' more favorable views of blacks.

Racial prejudice has increased slightly since 2008 whether those feelings were measured using questions that explicitly asked respondents about racist attitudes, or through an experimental test that measured implicit views toward race without asking questions about that topic directly.

In all, 51 percent of Americans now express explicit anti-black attitudes, compared with 48 percent in a similar 2008 survey.

When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the number of Americans with anti-black sentiments jumped to 56 percent, up from 49 percent during the last presidential election. In both tests, the share of Americans expressing pro-black attitudes fell.

"As much as we'd hope the impact of race would decline over time ... it appears the impact of anti-black sentiment on voting is about the same as it was four years ago," said Jon Krosnick, a Stanford University professor who worked with AP to develop the survey.

Anti-Hispanic feelings

Most Americans expressed anti-Hispanic sentiments, too. In an AP survey done in 2011, 52 percent of non-Hispanic whites expressed anti-Hispanic attitudes. That figure rose to 57 percent in the implicit test. The survey on Hispanics had no past data for comparison.

The AP surveys were conducted with researchers from Stanford University, the University of Michigan and NORC at the University of Chicago.

Experts on race said they were not surprised by the findings.

read rest of article here

AP poll: Majority harbor prejudice against blacks - U.S. News

I am stunned! [/sarcasm]

if you voted for O before and now support the white guy you are racist

if you didn't vote for Obama last time you are racist

If you voted for him last time and this election you are on probation.

If you oppose illegal immigration you are racist

If you support voter ID you are racist

If you support a black republican you are part of a racist plot to dilute the black vote

If you support a hispanic republican you are part of a racist plot to dilute the latino vote

I'm not surprised ,and pretty sure most of you are misogynist as well.

We're a clannish animal.

Prejudice will never go away completely. In some ways it's part of human nature.

But, because we are also a reasoning animal we can control our behavior to react to abstract concepts of what we believe is right, like to not be prejudiced... but often this is simply overriding instinct with reason.

And really, that's all we need to do, condition behavior at the personal level.

~Bang

twa,

I am confident that the vast majority of people who intend to vote for Romney are doing so because they, rightfully or not, blame Obama for the weak recovery, the national debt, the "fluid" state of much of the Arab world, etc. That said, if you want to know why many people argue that some of the animus towards Obama is animated by race, you might want to consider that people are pandering to racist sentiment by conjuring up images of welfare queens, an "uppity" black guy, and implying Obama is a Muslim Arab and "not a real American." And, that kind of drivel is not just being spewed from the mouths of kooks on the internet; it's coming from many quarters, including media figures, politicians, political operatives and, of course, kooks on the internet. The sad thing is, I think it is actually resonating with many "low information voters."

As for the voter ID issue, I think most libs believe the push to pass voter ID legislation is rooted in a desire to disenfranchise people, not as an end in and of itself (e.g., to stop brown people from voting because they don't like brown people), but as a means to an end (i.e., to win elections).

People don't want to admit it either. There are so many damn racists all around pretending they hate President Obama for his policies(which they dont know a damn thing about in the first place) when the real reason is because hes black. President Obama would have a MASSIVE lead in the polls if he was white. I live in Charles County, MD and the hate Obama gets from whites around here is astounding. They ignore the facts. They refuse to believe facts about Romney's tax plan and his plan for America because they are so concerned with hating the president. Many truly believe that he is a muslim and wants to take ours guns away and what have you. There was nowhere near this hate and right-wing fervor in 04' with Kerry. The 47% remark would have destroyed the Romney campaign if president Obama was white.

I know racist here on island that go out of their way to not be around anybody else and constantly insult the minorities.

However, whites are the minorities. It's about 95% west indian and cruisa rican here.

Almost everybody is black on this island. I don't get the attitude.

There are racist everywhere. I figure most of them, for any race, are the ones who surround themselves only with their own race, because that's the easiest way to stay ignorant comfortably.

People don't want to admit it either. There are so many damn racists all around pretending they hate President Obama for his policies(which they dont know a damn thing about in the first place) when the real reason is because hes black. President Obama would have a MASSIVE lead in the polls if he was white. I live in Charles County, MD and the hate Obama gets from whites around here is astounding. They ignore the facts. They refuse to believe facts about Romney's tax plan and his plan for America because they are so concerned with hating the president. Many truly believe that he is a muslim and wants to take ours guns away and what have you. There was nowhere near this hate and right-wing fervor in 04' with Kerry. The 47% remark would have destroyed the Romney campaign if president Obama was white.

in many polls, Obama is losing the white vote 60 percent to 37 percent

He is winning the minority vote 88 percent to 12 percent.

But this poll is not just about Obama, but race relations in America, period. Its improving, but not at the rate many people want to believe.

Being racist and being prejudice are NOT one and the same.

I have never in my life met (read about, seen on tv) one single person that was not prejudice.

while that is true, the problem is that some people who are prejudiced hold positions of power, and are thus allowed to practice racism.

and then you have stuff like white privilege

I thought the Country was too racist to get President Obama into office in 2008 based on reports just like this.

And then it so wrong and the President crushed.

rinse/repeat 4 yrs later.

ahh, Obama, the man who showed us all that we are post racial. And the man who is the most disrespected president of all time and seen by a large number of the population as being illegitimate because he either a)wasnt born in this country b}is a muslim c}didnt actually goto Columbia or Harvard d)many others. Im sure none of those views have to do with him being half African. :)

President Obama isn't more disrespected than Bush being a stupid Monkey (google Bush Monkey photos)

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushmonkey3.htm (its considered Political Humor)

President Obama isn't more disrespected than Clinton on his sex scandals. (Impeached for improper cigar mgmt).

Each President has rabid dogs that go after them from the other side...

while that is true, the problem is that some people who are prejudiced hold positions of power, and are thus allowed to practice racism.

and then you have stuff like white privilege

What are you missing here ?

Every single person in the entire world is prejudice, including you. If you sit there and tell me you are not prejudice, you are not only prejudice, but a liar too.

However, being prejudice does not equal a negative. And certainly not a racist.

President Obama isn't more disrespected than Bush being a stupid Monkey (google Bush Monkey photos)

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushmonkey3.htm (its considered Political Humor)

President Obama isn't more disrespected than Clinton on his sex scandals. (Impeached for improper cigar mgmt).

Each President has rabid dogs that go after them from the other side...

he is more disrespected than both.

why? Because Clinton got caught cheating and lied about it.

And wake me up when people question Bush's academic record, or whether he was even born in this country, or his religion.

This is true. We all are, I have no problem admitting I am at times, if only more people would be honest with themselves in that regard.

Thank you. We met years ago and you probably don't even recall. EDIT: I even have both of your 21 Forever T's (first go around prints). Good work thanks.

I think people don't understand what the word really means at times.

What are you missing here ?

Every single person in the entire world is prejudice, including you. If you sit there and tell me you are not prejudice, you are not only prejudice, but a liar too.

However, being prejudice does not equal a negative. And certainly not a racist.

I did not disagree with you.

What I am saying is that an example of racism is white privilege.

I did not disagree with you.

What I am saying is that an example of racism is white privilege.

"some people". It's all people, everywhere man. everywhere.

All people are prejudice.

All people are not racist.

That white privilege stuff gains steam because people allow it to. I personally am not concerned with those that believe this is the only reason that people are oppressed.

Archived