Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NASCAR.com: Junior Out with Concussion

AsburySkinsFan

http://www.nascar.com/news/121011/dearnhardt-jr-concussion-to-miss-races/index.html

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will miss the next two Sprint Cup races after suffering a concussion during last Sunday's race at Talladega Superspeedway.

According to a Hendrick Motorsports release, Earnhardt will not be behind the wheel of his customary No. 88 Chevrolet for both this Saturday night's Bank of America 500 at Charlotte Motor Speedway and the following week's race at Kansas Speedway. The release went on to say that Earnhardt was diagnosed Wednesday afternoon in Charlotte, and that Regan Smith will be the team's substitute driver at Charlotte and Kansas.

Earnhardt Jr., car owner Rick Hendrick and crew chief Steve Letarte were scheduled to speak with the media and offer further details at 11 a.m. ET at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Earnhardt dropped to 11th in the Chase for the Sprint Cup standings, 51 points behind leader Brad Keselowski, after finishing 20th at Talladega. His No. 88 Chevy was among the 25 cars in the 43-car field caught up in a last-lap wreck. It is believed that he suffered the concussion during that incident.

How is this not a confirmation that the racing MUST change at super speedways. It is no secret that I'm not a fan of Jr, but do we really need another Earnhardt memorial at a super speedway track?

I couldn't possibly agree more, ASF, on all counts.

Superspeedway racing these days is a joke. The drivers hate it. The fans hate it. And if NASCAR really does give a damn about safety, then maybe they oughta listen to the guys out there with their lives on the line for our entertainment.

That being said, I'm glad he is gonna be OK. I'm not a fan either, but anyone dealing with a brain injury has my sympathies. Hopefully he'll be back 100%.

The fair weather fans watch Daytona/Talledega BECAUSE this is going to happen, and for that NASCAR caters but at what cost? Liking a massive 24 car pile-up that risks the health and life of drivers is blood-thirsty, and NASCAR needs to remember that this is not the UFC racing series. As much as I hate that Jr's fanbase is the epitome of homerism, I know that a healthy Jr is good for NASCAR.

I'm actually a fan of the superspeedway racing and not a fan of the wrecks. I like the side by side racing and the strategy towards the end of the race. What was good that came out of this is, NASCAR has upped safety with the Hans devices, soft walls, roof flaps and the inner tire that the only thing Jr cam out of it was a concussion. Tony was upside down and wasn't hurt. They've come a long way and drivers have died on smaller tracks (Adam Petty).

It's a dangerous sport. I keep hearing the drivers complain, but they don't seem to have a solution to it either. They have put restrictor plates on, but the teams keep squeezing MPHs out of the engines. I'm not sure what they can do to slow them down, other than put a smaller block engine in the cars. I'd hate to see these races go away.

I'm actually a fan of the superspeedway racing and not a fan of the wrecks. I like the side by side racing and the strategy towards the end of the race. What was good that came out of this is, NASCAR has upped safety with the Hans devices, soft walls, roof flaps and the inner tire that the only thing Jr cam out of it was a concussion. Tony was upside down and wasn't hurt. They've come a long way and drivers have died on smaller tracks (Adam Petty).

It's a dangerous sport. I keep hearing the drivers complain, but they don't seem to have a solution to it either. They have put restrictor plates on, but the teams keep squeezing MPHs out of the engines. I'm not sure what they can do to slow them down, other than put a smaller block engine in the cars. I'd hate to see these races go away.

The problem is that some of us remember that the racing was like this until the restrictor plates were put in place, NASCAR created this monster.

Please, pardon my ignorance, but are the restrictor plates keeping these cars in large groups?

Yes

Think of a race where all of the cars are racing with throttle governors to limit how fast they can go, the differences in the cars and set-up become minimal (since all are racing with virtually the same packages) you will have a few who through whatever means have managed to squeeze a fraction of a mile per hour out of their car (tire pressure, ride height, spring set-up etc) and when the cars are limited as to the amount of fuel that can get into the pistons then those minor differences combined with drafting (the single biggest advantage on super speedways) produce a 200 mph parking lot, add to that competition to be the first car in the lot and you've created a perfect storm. It has taken more than one life already, I say enough.

Back in the olden days..:) cars would have a clear advatage through, aerodynamics, horse power or set-up and this would string the cars out much more like what you see on a mile and a half oval. But, once cars were routinely going over 200 mph they said it was too fast, and so to make it safer they gave us restrictor plates...and killed Senior in the process.

Please, pardon my ignorance, but are the restrictor plates keeping these cars in large groups?

No the restrictor plate just limits the amount of fuel that can enter the carburator. They stay in tight groups because drafting reduces wind resistance and makes the cars go faster.

Actually they do play a part in the fact that certain groups of cars can't break away from the pack but there not the only reason there in groups

I have not followed NASCAR closely lately, but what are the solutions the drivers want? I know restrictor plates were not put on for driver safety, but for fan safety. With the speeds they were seeing they had some cars almost clear the catch fences. So restrictor plates were NASACAR's solution.

Maybe a lower displacement engine or more drag would slow them down without causing the bunching.

I have not followed NASCAR closely lately, but what are the solutions the drivers want? I know restrictor plates were not put on for driver safety, but for fan safety. With the speeds they were seeing they had some cars almost clear the catch fences. So restrictor plates were NASACAR's solution.

Maybe a lower displacement engine or more drag would slow them down without causing the bunching.

Not sure what the drivers want, some would probably say "take 'em off 'n let us run" but I doubt Goodyear has a tire which could hold the car on the track AND last a full tank of gas.

I think a lower displacement engine on super speedways would do it, all three series run 358 ci engines, they currently have other limitations on Nationwide and the truck series to slow them down but they still bunch up on super speedways. Seems that v-6's would do the trick but there is a certain machismo that would never stand for that.

---------- Post added October-11th-2012 at 12:22 PM ----------

No the restrictor plate just limits the amount of fuel that can enter the carburator. They stay in tight groups because drafting reduces wind resistance and makes the cars go faster.

Actually they do play a part in the fact that certain groups of cars can't break away from the pack but there not the only reason there in groups

The last two years we saw "pairs racing" because the new car drafted so well with a single pushing partner, the fans hated it because it was two cars and more about dancing parnters than about a driver and car. So they adjusted the car's aero package to eliminate it, now we're back to parking lot racing.

I hate restrictor plate racing. Cars just shuffle around all day and the only thing you are trying to do for the first 480 miles is survive. I'd love to see them take them out of the Chase. It is a total crapshoot and doing well in an RP is no indication of driver skill (e.g. David Ragan, Travis Kvapil). Turn both of those tracks into a flat Pocono. They wouldn't be great tracks but the racing would be much better. /rant

I hate restrictor plate racing. Cars just shuffle around all day and the only thing you are trying to do for the first 480 miles is survive. I'd love to see them take them out of the Chase. It is a total crapshoot and doing well in an RP is no indication of driver skill (e.g. David Ragan, Travis Kvapil). Turn both of those tracks into a flat Pocono. They wouldn't be great tracks but the racing would be much better. /rant

Agreed totally, a race should no be akin to wining the lottery. It is sad because it corrupts Daytona's legacy.

Watching RG3 get knocked out the game and then Tony flipping his car while in the lead on the last lap was a hard Sunday for me :(

The last two years we saw "pairs racing" because the new car drafted so well with a single pushing partner, the fans hated it because it was two cars and more about dancing parnters than about a driver and car. So they adjusted the car's aero package to eliminate it, now we're back to parking lot racing.

I would imagine the fans are going to hate this even a lot more. That's also pretty cool that you know so much about racing too. Props.

Jr was having such a strong year too, sad it has to end like this. I wouldnt mind him shutting down the rest of the year and getting healthy in time for Daytona. No sense in risking further damage when his shot at the title is gone. Good effort this year Jr, well get em next year.

The fair weather fans watch Daytona/Talledega BECAUSE this is going to happen, and for that NASCAR caters but at what cost? Liking a massive 24 car pile-up that risks the health and life of drivers is blood-thirsty, and NASCAR needs to remember that this is not the UFC racing series. As much as I hate that Jr's fanbase is the epitome of homerism, I know that a healthy Jr is good for NASCAR.

Well said. I wanted to talk to you about Smoke causing the big one at the end, and couldn't even find the NASCAR thread on Monday. Most analysts said he waited just a split-second too long to make the block...then he admitted it himself. Isn't it cool when your fave driver is honest about his mistakes, even if it cost a bunch of money (in cars, that is)?

Have you seen the transformation of "Earnhardt Rd." near Kannapolis, NC? It used to be trees, and just your average, rural exit off of I-85. It is now "Dale Earnhardt Blvd" with about 10 hotels(I tried for a room at Holiday Inn and they had 3 calls waiting on every phone, my husband couldn't get a word in edgewise with any of the counter ladies), 30 restaurants (some are on the "DaleTrail", his favorite burger was here, favorite hot dog here,etc.) He was a great driver, but the merchandising on that one exit is just overwhelming. I hate that his death is what it took to energize the economy there, or do I hate that they've commercialized it for the economic good of the area? I can't figure out my own opinion of the darn thing.

Not everybody would be able to drive as fast as the car will allow.

Dragsters go fast enough for the same thing to happen.

The reason we have restrictor plates is cars almost cleared the catch fences and went not the stands on the past.

The reason we have restrictor plates is cars almost cleared the catch fences and went not the stands on the past.

I know, I use to watch NASCAR. I know how fast they go.

NASCAR might be the greatest sport for a spectator to go and watch, but it's not about the spectators. Safety can be improved and the racing needs to.

I actually like the plate racing...going that fast that close takes driving talent and to me it is interesting.

Now I am not a Junior fan at all or Hendrick fan for that matter but if he feels he can't race he can't race. The dude is nothing like his father and he proves it everyday sure he got a win this year but his chase was over even if he got in the car this week or not. One thing is for sure Dale sr. Would have never gotten out of that car.

Lastly I just remember a tougher breed of driver as the sport has expanded you often see guys complaining of being hurt or sick etc. Davey Allison wrecked one weekend and looked like he had been in a fight with Mike Tyson, lost badly, had a cast on his arm etc. He drove the next week with raccoon eyes, and his hand velcroed to the shifter!!!!! That's the kind of guy I want driving my race car, and that's why I was such a huge fan of Allison. The cars back then were not near as safe a they are now either, so to me it says something about what type of guy Dale Jr. Really is but again he knows his body and if he can't race then he can't race, I just know that he gave me another reason not to be a fan of him.

http://www.nascar.com/news/121011/dearnhardt-jr-concussion-to-miss-races/index.html

How is this not a confirmation that the racing MUST change at super speedways. It is no secret that I'm not a fan of Jr, but do we really need another Earnhardt memorial at a super speedway track?

You missed the fact that Jr. had a serious concussion he did not disclose during a tire test at Kansas (not a superspeedway of course) and this was his second one in six weeks. We can't know for certain, but had he not had that concussion, would he have had this one at Dega? Was he fully healed from the first one a few weeks ago? Jr. hinted that he may not have been.

---------- Post added October-12th-2012 at 10:06 AM ----------

The dude is nothing like his father and he proves it everyday sure he got a win this year but his chase was over even if he got in the car this week or not. One thing is for sure Dale sr. Would have never gotten out of that car.

He was racing several weeks with concussion symptoms he didn't share. Like his dad, he didn't get out of that car. Looking at the fact that brain trauma killed his dad, I'm sure Jr. thought he better play it safe. As we are finding out, playing tough guy is not a way to deal with concussions, ask Ricky Craven and Ernie Irvin how that worked out.

I know, I use to watch NASCAR. I know how fast they go.

NASCAR might be the greatest sport for a spectator to go and watch, but it's not about the spectators. Safety can be improved and the racing needs to.

I'm with you, but I think the Insurance Companies are calling this one. After Bonnetts crash if they had not done something I doubt they would have had insurance at the next superspeedway event. The ONLY way they ever go full speed at the big tracks again is to move the spectators out of the lower rows of the stands.

I'm with you, but I think the Insurance Companies are calling this one. After Bonnetts crash if they had not done something I doubt they would have had insurance at the next superspeedway event. The ONLY way they ever go full speed at the big tracks again is to move the spectators out of the lower rows of the stands.

Those cars could hit 260 without plates and I bet the could fly all the way up to the top. They'd need to change the way the fences are I think. Maybe even cage in a large portion of the tracks.

Also, why do people feel the need to mention their opinion about Jr? Seems odd. Who cares.

Archived