Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NASCAR.com: Junior Out with Concussion

AsburySkinsFan

I actually like the plate racing...going that fast that close takes driving talent and to me it is interesting.

Now I am not a Junior fan at all or Hendrick fan for that matter but if he feels he can't race he can't race. The dude is nothing like his father and he proves it everyday sure he got a win this year but his chase was over even if he got in the car this week or not. One thing is for sure Dale sr. Would have never gotten out of that car.

Lastly I just remember a tougher breed of driver as the sport has expanded you often see guys complaining of being hurt or sick etc. Davey Allison wrecked one weekend and looked like he had been in a fight with Mike Tyson, lost badly, had a cast on his arm etc. He drove the next week with raccoon eyes, and his hand velcroed to the shifter!!!!! That's the kind of guy I want driving my race car, and that's why I was such a huge fan of Allison. The cars back then were not near as safe a they are now either, so to me it says something about what type of guy Dale Jr. Really is but again he knows his body and if he can't race then he can't race, I just know that he gave me another reason not to be a fan of him.

Wow. People cant help but take a shot at Jr for making a tough call to preserve his health and maybe his career. Theres a huge difference between a black eye and cast and a brain injury. What a joke. Sure, hes not his dad, but neither is anyone else behind the wheel. So little jabs like that hold no value. And as a Jr fan, with comments and thoughts like that, Im glad you arent his fan either.

Wow. People cant help but take a shot at Jr for making a tough call to preserve his health and maybe his career. Theres a huge difference between a black eye and cast and a brain injury. What a joke. Sure, hes not his dad, but neither is anyone else behind the wheel. So little jabs like that hold no value. And as a Jr fan, with comments and thoughts like that, Im glad you arent his fan either.

Yeah, I don't get why people feel the need to give their feelings about him or look at this as anything but a serious concussion discussion.

I remember Mark Martin cutting the cast off his arm and still finishing in the top 5. That's tough. But, there is an enormous difference between a broken arm and a bruised brain.

I actually like the plate racing...going that fast that close takes driving talent and to me it is interesting.

Now I am not a Junior fan at all or Hendrick fan for that matter but if he feels he can't race he can't race. The dude is nothing like his father and he proves it everyday sure he got a win this year but his chase was over even if he got in the car this week or not. One thing is for sure Dale sr. Would have never gotten out of that car.

Well thank goodness Jr is nothing like Sr then, Sr died because he continuously fought against better safety devices for drivers like the Hans device which many argued would have saved his life. Jr has a concussion, this is his brain we're talking about not a knee or an elbow or the flu, if Sr would have put himself in the car with a brain injury risking a more severe brain injury then Sr was an idiot.

Well said. I wanted to talk to you about Smoke causing the big one at the end, and couldn't even find the NASCAR thread on Monday. Most analysts said he waited just a split-second too long to make the block...then he admitted it himself. Isn't it cool when your fave driver is honest about his mistakes, even if it cost a bunch of money (in cars, that is)?

Have you seen the transformation of "Earnhardt Rd." near Kannapolis, NC? It used to be trees, and just your average, rural exit off of I-85. It is now "Dale Earnhardt Blvd" with about 10 hotels(I tried for a room at Holiday Inn and they had 3 calls waiting on every phone, my husband couldn't get a word in edgewise with any of the counter ladies), 30 restaurants (some are on the "DaleTrail", his favorite burger was here, favorite hot dog here,etc.) He was a great driver, but the merchandising on that one exit is just overwhelming. I hate that his death is what it took to energize the economy there, or do I hate that they've commercialized it for the economic good of the area? I can't figure out my own opinion of the darn thing.

Some may have took advantage of his death to boost business and make a profit, but I live in the surrounding area and I can tell you that is not what energized the economy there at all. There are only two races a year here. What energized the Mooresville area was they got the Lowes Coorporate office built right off exit 33 (I used to work at the Food Lion off that exit that is burried behind the gas station and bojangles). They developed a lot of jobs in the area. Also, you have the lake a few exits up, they have built up around there as well. Harrisburg/Kanapolis both have built up too, strip malls, town homes, condos, shopping centers, restaurants, etc. What used to be one housing development slapped in the middle of acres and acres of farmland has turned into multiple housing developments and very little farmland left.

Also, people are moving out of the larger cities/high cost areas and moving to the surrounding areas because it's cheaper. See Concord, Harrisburg, Fort Mill, Rockhill, Indian Trail, Waxaw for the Charlotte area. See Moorseville, Huntersville, Kannapolis, Concord, Statesville, Troutman for the rich lake area.

So, you can hold your head up knowing that Dale Earnhardt did not energize the economy in the area except for a few businesses that chose to make money off his name. That's just silly to assume.

Archived