Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our QB is taking the wrong kind of LUMPS!

lovemaskins

RGIII is certainly living up to the hype. He is as advertised. However, most football fans understand that a rookie quarterback has to take his lumps during the early part of his career. We expect them to throw picks, look lost at times, make bad reads, scramble when they they should've thrown the ball away, etc, etc, etc.....

Unfortunately, our brilliant coaches are so enamored with our athletic phenom's abilities, and I'm sure feeiling the pressure to win in now their forth season, that instead of letting RGIII take the aforementioned "LUMPS," he's taking real lumps. This option game and design runs are silly and dangerous. Yes it keeps the defense off balance but our great qb is taking vicious hits and is not going to play 16 games if this continues. He is also not getting enough opportunities to just drop back and read the defense.

What's worse is that when the media confronts Shanahan with this real concern, he keeps shrugging it off with comments like "he knows how to slide." I am starting to think Shanahan is more concerned with his job security than he is with real development of his rookie quarterback.

LET HIM BE A QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!

LET HIM PASS!!!!!!!!!!!

LET HIM LEARN TO READ THE DEFENSE!!!!!!!

While he learns these basic qb fundamentals, he will put more pressure on the defense with his ability to avoid pressure and learn to dissect a defense with his arm . That is all.

---------- Post added September-23rd-2012 at 10:02 PM ----------

Even the opposing DE showed respect for RG3 and the pounding he took. RG3 said postgame that Johnson told him to keep getting up after the continued hits. WOW!

Figured this might seem a little more logical now that the wrapping paper is off and the toy is broken now.

I agree. I think the last two possessions where he was dinking and dunking all the way down the field was a great learning experience. Sometimes less is more. Sure cinch played off -- it showed how effective spreading the ball around. Rg is going to be great.

I thought the same thing. When we give him the opportunity to throw he does just that. Took us down the field twice late. But the triple option, and double spin fake run drop back bs is getting him smoked.

---------- Post added September-23rd-2012 at 10:34 PM ----------

When I watch other teams around the league, e.g. colts, dolphins, seahawks, or other teams with rookie qb's, I see them allowing their young qb to run a more traditional offense which is gonna help them long term. How else is he gonna learn to anticipate throws, or find guys down the seem. He need to understand to hit the rollout as soon as it is open instead of running. But Shanahan has a win now attitude, and it's gonna cost us another qb developing properly and getting us to where we want to be . Becoming a contender.

yeah because rookie 4th rd tackles usually are great in week 3

At this point, they are probably better than Jordan Black. He didn't even touch anyone on multiple pass plays.

If Shanahan's risky option play calling won't get RGIII hurt, then having such a horrible back up LT surely will.

I don't like the option part of our offense because it tends to put Griffin in compromising positions especially when he DOESN'T have the ball. However, I can still appreciate the extremely duplicitous nature of our current scheme which makes it difficult to say that we'd be better off without those plays in the mix.

The situation is complicated further by the fact that some of the worst hits RGIII has taken have not been on designed runs. They've come from him trying to escape pressure (sometimes escaping to the wrong area) and from not doing a great job of protecting himself at the end of runs. I'm not entirely sure there's a whole lot we can do to protect him like we all want. He may just have to take those lumps and learn from experience like most rookies. :whoknows:

No, Shanahan may want to win but He knows like everyone else knows that he is married to Griffin. If Griffin gets hurt, so does Shanahan. I will say though, drafting a Tackle instead of Cousins seems like a pretty decent idea at the moment.

That's a mighty big assumption that a 4th round rookie tackle would do better than our current options.

I don't like the option part of our offense because it tends to put Griffin in compromising positions especially when he DOESN'T have the ball. However, I can still appreciate the extremely duplicitous nature of our current scheme which makes it difficult to say that we'd be better off without those plays in the mix.

The situation is complicated further by the fact that some of the worst hits RGIII has taken have not been on designed runs. They've come from him trying to escape pressure (sometimes escaping to the wrong area) and from not doing a great job of protecting himself at the end of runs. I'm not entirely sure there's a whole lot we can do to protect him like we all want. He may just have to take those lumps and learn from experience like most rookies. :whoknows:

The two biggest hits I saw today were on the option that got blown up in the backfield which resulted in the big hit and him hitting his head on the turf and the 3rd and 7 qb draw which was short. He took a massive hit there as well between two defenders. Im of the opinion he can't get better as a passer when he's made to run that. Heck, I'd rather lose trying to make him a passer than win with him getting his head knocked off. We're not going to the superbowl this year. That is a fact. But if we are to get there, RGIII will be lighting up the passing yards, not scrambling ala michael vick.

Yep. Too much of this gimmicky college-style offense is going to get RGIII hurt. This team has a lot of deficiencies...happy to score fewer points and lose a whole lot of games this year if we can work on developing him into the awesome packet passer we know he can be.

Co-sign. I think he's been taking too many hits. I understand some of the designed runs occasionally and when he's scrambling to make a play, but they need to cut back to a minimal. Unfortunately, the line looks like it can't protect him when he drops back.

This is the 3rd year under Mike Shanahan for one, not the 4th.

Also, you have acklowedged that we have have a bad OL. One way to counter a bad OL is to keep the defense off guard. The option plays do that. Griffin can read a defense well and can throw very well already. We are not doing him any favors by having him drop back and pass all the time. If anything the option plays keep the pressure off him when he does drop back.

It is also stupid to draft a QB with never before seen straight line olympic caliber speed and not use his legs as an advantage. He is a man, this is football. This isn't our 5 year old daughters out there. Play ball.

I disagree 100%, at this point in his career you design the offense that fits him best.

If rgiii felt he wasn't capable of making rise plays then he would share that with the shannahans.

Our offense doesn't put up 30 points a game without letting Robert be Robert, the threat of him running

Keeps the defense honest. He won't always be running but it's effective right now.

We didn't draft him to turn him into a pocket passer, he has a skill set that no other qb in the league has and

We have to take advantage of it.

RGIII is certainly living up to the hype. He is as advertised. However, most football fans understand that a rookie quarterback has to take his lumps during the early part of his career. We expect them to throw picks, look lost at times, make bad reads, scramble when they they should've thrown the ball away, etc, etc, etc.....

Unfortunately, our brilliant coaches are so enamored with our athletic phenom's abilities, and I'm sure feeiling the pressure to win in now their forth season, that instead of letting RGIII take the aforementioned "LUMPS," he's taking real lumps. This option game and design runs are silly and dangerous. Yes it keeps the defense off balance but our great qb is taking vicious hits and is not going to play 16 games if this continues. He is also not getting enough opportunities to just drop back and read the defense.

LET HIM BE A QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!

LET HIM PASS!!!!!!!!!!!

LET HIM LEARN TO READ THE DEFENSE!!!!!!!

While he learns these basic qb fundamentals, he will put more pressure on the defense with his ability to avoid pressure and learn to dissect a defense with his arm . That is all.

I hear yah bro, but its a fine line.

Its about balance and I don't think Kyle and Mike have found it yet.

I'm a huge proponent of read option football with Robert Griffin especially because it works.

It's very tough to stop a ball carrier in a read option scheme from gaining positive yards.

But there's got to be balance.

It should be part of the offense and it seems as if we rely on it as the base of our offense.

And if we are going to rely on it imho we need to be far more multiple with the formations we run it from.

Read option but zone read specifically can be deadly from spread formations 3-4 WRs and we rarely use it from 3-4 WR sets.

Along with using spread formations we don't use enough PA passing from the read-option plays. And having watched and read a lot about read-option football I know that some team actually block the DE I don't understand why the scheme doesn't account for the unblocked defender that keeps blasting Griffin.

Also, what happened to the packaged plays from week1?

In the opening series against the Saints Griffin was given packaged plays of zone-read+screen.

But back to balance.

I wonder how much of the reliance on read option is to mask the inadequacy elsewhere on the team? Specifically the OL.

I've noticed that Griffin rarely drop back passes without some form of play action to make the protection easier for the OL.

But, I feel like the read-option is seductive because its easy and it works but its putting hand cuffs on Griffin's passing ability.

When Griffin was allowed to pass his footwork was sharp, he threw on balance with good timing and good accuracy.

If they really want to this offense to be dynamic instead of running the simple concepts from Baylor's offense they need to incorporate the spread passing concepts then sprinkle zone read on top of the spread.

at least that's the way I see it from my couch

Also, what happened to the packaged plays from week1?

In the opening series against the Saints Griffin was given packaged plays of zone-read+screen.

The fumble early in the game appeared to be a miscommunication on a packaged play. Morris reached for the ball and knocked it out of Griffin's hands as he went to throw the screen.

The two biggest hits I saw today were on the option that got blown up in the backfield which resulted in the big hit and him hitting his head on the turf and the 3rd and 7 qb draw which was short. He took a massive hit there as well between two defenders. Im of the opinion he can't get better as a passer when he's made to run that. Heck, I'd rather lose trying to make him a passer than win with him getting his head knocked off. We're not going to the superbowl this year. That is a fact. But if we are to get there, RGIII will be lighting up the passing yards, not scrambling ala michael vick.

I agree, the two hits you're talking about were bad. However, through three games MOST of the bad shots RGIII has taken weren't on designed runs.

Our coaches are molding our offense around what we have and our talent. You know, that thing we have been begging for them to do for years.

Now that we are doing that - we want them to change RG3 and not play to his strengths and how he likes to play?

Our oline is a joke, he will not ske the entire season getting hit like this. Trent was not exactly killing it, but that scub hey put in for him has no business in the nfl. There is a reason he did not play last grater, he is awful

I actually taught "Silva Back" was playing at a pro bowl level this season,just my opinion

Also, you have acklowedged that we have have a bad OL. One way to counter a bad OL is to keep the defense off guard. The option plays do that. Griffin can read a defense well and can throw very well already. We are not doing him any favors by having him drop back and pass all the time. If anything the option plays keep the pressure off him when he does drop back.

Quoted for emphasis. Under a more traditional set, RG3 would be getting molested by defenses. Our OL is below average, at best.

Archived