Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our QB is taking the wrong kind of LUMPS!

lovemaskins

I'm not sure I agree with this. Our offensive line, especially with Jordan Black in the game is simply not very good. Robert's mobility has been an absolutely gigantic factor in allowed us to be the top ranked scoring team in the NFL (I say team, because to be fair the defense has accounted for some of our points). The option works.

He's taking a ton of hits, far too many for my liking, but it's kind of a tough situation. Our OL stinks, if you let him drop back all the time, he's going to get hit the same way.

When Griff had time he was great. When he didn't have time he was good. He gets through a lot of his reads and finds his dump offs. You can see him doing it. I'm not sure where the whole "Let him read the defense!!!" thing is coming from. He's reading the defense quite well.

Yes, I'd like for him to be sitting in the pocket a bit more and slinging the football around. He's a very good quarterback from the pocket. But I'm not sure he can do that with our OL. And Jordan Black was HORRENDOUS yesterday. I can't tell you how many times I saw him outright whiff on a block.

Yesterday, he was getting hit whether it was a designed run or a passing play. When your tackles make the delay of a turnstile seem like a pleasant dream, he almost better be running. Which is more likely to cause injury, a hit while trying to run the ball or a blind side while looking to throw?

Yesterday almost made me want to chant "Run Robert. Run!" in a bad "Run Forest. Run!" imitation.

What's the deal with leribeus? Does he just suck?

he's not a tackle.. he's a gaurd/center.

our issue right now is at both Tackle positions.

With Jamal Brown gone and if we lose Trent.. we got back ups at both book ends. And unfortunately our back up RT is much better than our back up LT.

Its going to be a tough decision of whether to take a RT or a Safety with our 2nd rounder next year.

when he does have to scramble out of the pocket, he loses his footing, the condition of the field is a joke, we have one of the fastest players and for sure the fastest Qb and we slow him down and prevent him from making the moves he wants to make. there was so much sand on that field, it looked like OCMD.

we need field turf -could careless about history, play in dirt etc. the game has changed and our field should be changed

I'm not sure I agree with this. Our offensive line, especially with Jordan Black in the game is simply not very good. Robert's mobility has been an absolutely gigantic factor in allowed us to be the top ranked scoring team in the NFL (I say team, because to be fair the defense has accounted for some of our points). The option works.

He's taking a ton of hits, far too many for my liking, but it's kind of a tough situation. Our OL stinks, if you let him drop back all the time, he's going to get hit the same way.

When Griff had time he was great. When he didn't have time he was good. He gets through a lot of his reads and finds his dump offs. You can see him doing it. I'm not sure where the whole "Let him read the defense!!!" thing is coming from. He's reading the defense quite well.

Yes, I'd like for him to be sitting in the pocket a bit more and slinging the football around. He's a very good quarterback from the pocket. But I'm not sure he can do that with our OL. And Jordan Black was HORRENDOUS yesterday. I can't tell you how many times I saw him outright whiff on a block.

Coach nailed it, with our OL we can not spread anyone out and play the modern football we see other teams playing. If we were to block with our front 5 against a pass rush such as Cincinnati RG3 would have been killed just as much as he was running the option. Until we upgrade the talent on the OL RG3 cannot be a successful pocket passer. Having said that I do agree we should give him more opportunities in the pocket and run the option stuff just to keep the defenses honest.

Agreed. I think everyone wants RG3 to get hit less. As you pointed out, keeping him behind a terrible offensive line might not achieve this goal.

Not all hits are equal either. RG3 is better at avoiding the full impact a hit when on the run (not including the triple option). He might get hit, but those hits are not as bad as the full impact of getting hit right after releasing the ball or a sack.

The only two things I would tweak moving forward:

1) Remove the triple option. While it did seem to jump start our offense in the second half, he got killed on that play all day. Removing that could save us 2-3 of the bigger hits per game that seem pretty unnecessary.

2) Keep RG3 mobile but stress that he slides or gets out of bounds before contact in certain situations.

i would remove the triple option although i'd be lying if i said that wasn't what got us back in the game yesterday

so you would remove a portion of the offense that can score points? that makes no sense, if we dont run the triple option or at least have the threat of the triple option the offense isnt as effective. we gave up a kings ransom to aquire rg3, he has a specific set of skills no other qb in the league has. explain to me why we shouldnt use those skills to the fullest. Its a game of football where grown men tackle and hit each other, i would rather him take a hit while running than take a shot like vick took yesterday at the end of the 1st half.

so you would remove a portion of the offense that can score points? that makes no sense, if we dont run the triple option or at least have the threat of the triple option the offense isnt as effective. we gave up a kings ransom to aquire rg3, he has a specific set of skills no other qb in the league has. explain to me why we shouldnt use those skills to the fullest. Its a game of football where grown men tackle and hit each other, i would rather him take a hit while running than take a shot like vick took yesterday at the end of the 1st half.

i would at least cut down the number of plays that we run from triple option

It's going to get removed anyway when they knock Griffin out of the game. I don't mind designed runs but the triple option just gives defenders a free kill shot on Griffin.

he's not a tackle.. he's a gaurd/center.

our issue right now is at both Tackle positions.

With Jamal Brown gone and if we lose Trent.. we got back ups at both book ends. And unfortunately our back up RT is much better than our back up LT.

Its going to be a tough decision of whether to take a RT or a Safety with our 2nd rounder next year.

The Jamal Brown trade was a gamble just like it was with McNabb, unfortunately neither one has worked out. I was much more excited about the the Brown trade though because of his ability but if you can't stay healthy the ability does not matter ( example: Malcomb Kelly). The draft and free agency next offseason MUST focus on the O line and secondary. Whether it is RT or Saftey taken in the 2nd the other position had better be addressed through a quality starter in free agency.

It's going to get removed anyway when they knock Griffin out of the game. I don't mind designed runs but the triple option just gives defenders a free kill shot on Griffin.

Since he knows how to run the option the problem was he wasnt reading the DE on those plays correctly, the design is if the end doesnt take the dive he hands it off, he misread the de on the two plays he got crushed on. he will learn from the mistakes and hopefully not make them in the future. I still stand by them running these plays now, this is supposed to be one of his strengths. Without this option the offense doesnt put up 33 points a game and then we complain that the skins arent using the qb to his fullest potential. we cant treat this kid like a soft pillow.

Do you think coaches need to monitor the hits he is taking. Example, dropping back getting hit. If its a design run and he slides down then thats not as bad as running, not sliding and getting tackled. If these are down then does the option come into play? I think we do need to limit the hits his taking cause last weekend he was getting hurried, sacked, hit etc...

RG3 has Mike Vick-like running ability, but also like Vick, he is destined to be injury prone and have sore/broken ribs most of the time if he keeps it up. I get scared every time RG3 goes hit, and he was getting hit a LOT

disagree, who says rg3 is injury prone? vick is 5'8" on a good day and weights 15-20 lbs lighter than rg3. vick is not built to take the hits, rg3 can take the hits, did you ever watch him in college?

I love how there are fans on this site arguing that RG3 can take these hits and that Mike knows what he's doing. Well the guys on NFL PrimeTime were also talking about this and said he is taking to many shots. They said they understand some of the shots in the packet, but the ones on these designed plays are stupid. You shouldn't try to get your franchise QB killed.

I love how there are fans on this site arguing that RG3 can take these hits and that Mike knows what he's doing. Well the guys on NFL PrimeTime were also talking about this and said he is taking to many shots. They said they understand some of the shots in the packet, but the ones on these designed plays are stupid. You shouldn't try to get your franchise QB killed.

because those guys know everything, merill hodges had to retire because of concussions so his view is a little slanted, then you have hasselbeck how is another 5'8 qb who never saw the field in his career.

Since he knows how to run the option the problem was he wasnt reading the DE on those plays correctly, the design is if the end doesnt take the dive he hands it off, he misread the de on the two plays he got crushed on. he will learn from the mistakes and hopefully not make them in the future. I still stand by them running these plays now, this is supposed to be one of his strengths. Without this option the offense doesnt put up 33 points a game and then we complain that the skins arent using the qb to his fullest potential. we cant treat this kid like a soft pillow.

Read options and triple options are different plays. On a triple option the defense will take a shot at him no matter what.

because those guys know everything, merill hodges had to retire because of concussions so his view is a little slanted, then you have hasselbeck how is another 5'8 qb who never saw the field in his career.

Well anyone that has a little smarts and knows anything about football. Knows you cant get your QB killed on 50% of the plays. So yeah your right lets let him keep taking a beating and we will see who is our QB half way through the season.

Given how inept Jordan Black looked, what would people think about moving Compton up to the squad? I didn't think Compton looked that bad in preseason. Of course, he was a 7th rounder and it was preseason. Grasping at straws, but after that game, can RG3 really have faith if Black is put back in the game?

Is Jordan Black really the best the Skins can do at backup LT?

Redskins

Shanahan on Griffin III's carries: "You keep putting yourself in 3rd-and-long, and your QB is going to take some shots out there."

This is pretty evident

Shanahan on Griffin III: "He's not afraid of anything...He's going to do what he thinks he needs to do to win."

Well anyone that has a little smarts and knows anything about football. Knows you cant get your QB killed on 50% of the plays. So yeah your right lets let him keep taking a beating and we will see who is our QB half way through the season.

you are correct, let him sit back in the pocket and get killed behind the poor offensive line we have, i would much rather that happen than letting him run the ball and getting hit that way

I disagree 100%, at this point in his career you design the offense that fits him best.

If rgiii felt he wasn't capable of making rise plays then he would share that with the shannahans.

Our offense doesn't put up 30 points a game without letting Robert be Robert, the threat of him running

Keeps the defense honest. He won't always be running but it's effective right now.

We didn't draft him to turn him into a pocket passer, he has a skill set that no other qb in the league has and

We have to take advantage of it.

Then expect him to have the kind of career that Vick has had, which to this point has been underwhelming.

RGIII does have a unique skill set, not doubt. The fact that he can run and the threat of it is a good thing, but at the pace his going and with the amount of hits he's taking he will not last the whole season.

Not addressing the deficiencies of the O-Line in the off season has really come back to bite the Skins in that ass, and potentially slow down the development of our franchise QB

you are correct, let him sit back in the pocket and get killed behind the poor offensive line we have, i would much rather that happen than letting him run the ball and getting hit that way

OMG to funny.

I'm not saying don't let him be RG3. I'm saying don't design plays to get him killed. It's not rocket science.

Archived