Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico - Megadeth frontman accuses Obama of murder

The Evil Genius

A time and a place for everything. I don't invite people to my job to hear my views on politics or religion. If he wants to give his views in an interview for a magazine or while on tour, I have no problem with that, but when I pay to hear music, I want to hear music. Nothing more, nothing less.

the job analogy is crap. you're not an artist, sorry to break it to you.

in a performer/audience situation, you as part of the audience don't have any right to dictate how the performer chooses to perform. that's up to him. you're always free to leave if your sensibilities are offended, or not buy a ticket in the first place. but a butthurt "i paid good money for this ticket i should get to dictate what the artist says and doesn't say" is small minded anti-intellectualism and anti-art.

personally, i think it's great when an artist tries to draw lines between their work and greater concerns about politics or religion or whatever. billy bragg is an absolute master at this.

dave mustaine is of course a moron of the highest order. but it's not because he decided to express something -- it's because the thing he expressed is absurd drivel.

---------- Post added August-16th-2012 at 09:20 AM ----------

Unless you run Chik-Fil-A...

and thread ruined...my work is done here.

chik-fil-a decided to make bigotry and hatred a selling point of their chicken sandwiches. that's why i can't buy them anymore, any more than i'd buy a ticket to see an artist who advertised themself as racist. it's the content of the opinion i'm opposed to, not the idea of expressing it.

the first amendment guarantees the right to free speech. it makes no guarantees about that speech being free of consequences.

the job analogy is crap. you're not an artist, sorry to break it to you.

in a performer/audience situation, you as part of the audience don't have any right to dictate how the performer chooses to perform. that's up to him. you're always free to leave if your sensibilities are offended, or not buy a ticket in the first place. but a butthurt "i paid good money for this ticket i should get to dictate what the artist says and doesn't say" is small minded anti-intellectualism and anti-art.

personally, i think it's great when an artist tries to draw lines between their work and greater concerns about politics or religion or whatever. billy bragg is an absolute master at this.

dave mustaine is of course a moron of the highest order. but it's not because he decided to express something -- it's because the thing he expressed is absurd drivel.

Of course the job analogy is not a fair comparison because I don't charge people to come to my office, but on the ticket it says "Megadeath in Concert" not "Come hear a moron talk about his political views." I'm not so sure I'd be "butthurt" about it, but then again I rarely go to concerts anymore, but the groups that I go see play their music, which I appreciate. Anti-art? I play the drums. I'm far from anti-art. I love music. Dictate? Of course I can't dictate. And you are right, if I don't like it, I could just walk out. Doesn't mean I'd be happy with it.

Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't have his views or not have his views be heard, but there is a "time" and a "place" for everything. Would you want to go see a play on broadway and have Ann Hathaway stop the play and tell you about her view on abortion? Time and Place is all I'm saying.

---------- Post added August-16th-2012 at 10:36 AM ----------

If you go to a concert of a band which write a **** ton of songs about government, you should expect to hear it at a concert. I don't always agree with Pearl Jam's politics....but I know going in I'm going to get a lecture of some sort. They are very active policitically. With relations to the plumber analogy brought up earlier, if your plumber is "right-wing pumbing", you should expect a lecture when he comes to fix the leak.

Political songs are a lot different than just grabbing the microphone and spouting off your views. I have no problem with someone expressing themselves through the music. I think it's understood that if I'm a fan of Megadeath and they write a song about a political view, then I'l probably be heaing it at the concert, as I've heard the song before. I would not expect someone to go on a political rant on stage during a performance.

A time and a place for everything. I don't invite people to my job to hear my views on politics or religion. If he wants to give his views in an interview for a magazine or while on tour, I have no problem with that, but when I pay to hear music, I want to hear music. Nothing more, nothing less.

But that never happens. even eric Clapton, who perhaps is the most boring live act in existance, engages the audience in banter. And I would figure depending on his mood.. then you might get whats on his mind.

If you go to a U2 concert,, be ready to hear what they think.

the audience has a role in it. if they don't like they message, they can speak through not buying their music and concert tickets.

That's how you tell artists to shut up.

~Bang

But that never happens. even eric Clapton, who perhaps is the most boring live act in existance, engages the audience in banter. And I would figure depending on his mood.. then you might get whats on his mind.

If you go to a U2 concert,, be ready to hear what they think.

the audience has a role in it. if they don't like they message, they can speak through not buying their music and concert tickets.

That's how you tell artists to shut up.

~Bang

Right. Actions have consequences.

But there is a big difference between listening to Bono talk about helping the starving kids in Africa and having Dave Mustain or the Dixie Chicks call our President a liar, murderer or whatever.

But there is a big difference between listening to Bono talk about helping the starving kids in Africa and having Dave Mustain or the Dixie Chicks call our President a liar, murderer or whatever.

not really. the head of our government is neither sacred nor royalty (in fact if i'm not mistaken there was a war fought on that point). he is not and should not be above criticism.

Oh, I completely agree.. his thoughts are quite disturbing and disgusting. At the very least, both of them should be ashamed for speaking about home like this while overseas, in my opinion.

But, they do have the right.

~Bang

not really. the head of our government is neither sacred nor royalty (in fact if i'm not mistaken there was a war fought on that point). he is not and should not be above criticism.

Nobody is saying they CANT do it. But rather, if they DO make disparaging remarks, they'v eearned the backlash that comes with it.

Mustain is a moron.

Criticism is one thing, but Dave pretty much held Obama responsible for the tragedy in Colorado and that's just wrong IMO and crossed a big line.

A Mighty Wind is one of my favorites. I put it right up there with Spinal Tap. In addition to it being just hilariously funny, a couple of other things combine to make it work. One, at its core is an endearing sweetness with the love story between the Catherine O'Hara and the Eugene Levy characters. It was a genuinely touching moment when they finally play the concert together at the end. And the mocking they do is gentle with an undercurrent of affection. Two, the music is actually pretty good. I actually downloaded "Old Joe's Place"!

That's nothing. I own the entire soundtrack. :)

---------- Post added August-16th-2012 at 11:07 AM ----------

What's wrong with it? I see very little difference.

I'm not sure what you're saying ...

Certainly. But it would also be wrong to sit quietly and let incredibly stupid, inflammatory and schizoid-false conspiratorial statements made by this guitar strumming clown to stand unchallenged. Dave Mustaine is entitled to declare that Obama killed Sikhs and Batman fans in a crazed plot to push a gun control agenda. Just as we are entitled to call Dave Mustaine a brain-addled douchebag for spouting such moronic thoughts to foreign concert-goers.

Certainly. But it would also be wrong to sit quietly and let incredibly stupid, inflammatory and schizoid-false conspiratorial statements made by this guitar strumming clown to stand unchallenged. Dave Mustaine is entitled to declare that Obama killed Sikhs and Batman fans in a crazed plot to push a gun control agenda. Just as we are entitled to call Dave Mustaine a brain-addled douchebag for spouting such moronic thoughts to foreign concert-goers.

we're in agreement.

Best in Show FTW!

:ols: this movie never fails to slay me.

the two gay guys .. when he comes out walking the dog around the arena :ols:.. if a person can't laugh, check their pulse (I never remember that actor's name,, but he's a hell of a comic)

~Bang

:ols: this movie never fails to slay me.

the two gay guys .. when he comes out walking the dog around the arena :ols:.. if a person can't laugh, check their pulse (I never remember that actor's name,, but he's a hell of a comic)

~Bang

We met in the Starbuck's. Not the same Starbucks...I saw her in line at the Starbuck's across the street from my Starbuck's.

Best in Show was just on last night. Any of those Spinal Tap guys or Python guys usually offer far better fare than most SNL alumni. :)

Oh hell, as Remlik said, it's not even close.

You can count the really good SNL related movies on one hand.

EVERY one of Guest and Co.s movies are hilarious.. even "Waiting for Guffman"

"For your consideration" was great too

Check it out! this thread started out about a loudmouth hack, and we ended up talking about some real talent.

We must be gettin' civilized or something!

~Bang

Oh hell, as Remlik said, it's not even close.

You can count the really good SNL related movies on one hand.

EVERY one of Guest and Co.s movies are hilarious.. even "Waiting for Guffman"

"For your consideration" was great too

Check it out! this thread started out about a loudmouth hack, and we ended up talking about some real talent.

We must be gettin' civilized or something!

~Bang

Commie pinko american haters. But talented.

"Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away"--Dave Mustaine

Where the hell did that guy go?

Oh yeah, like "justice is lost, justice is raped, justice is done." vs. next album : "I'm free to speak my mind anywhere."--Metallica

double standards go with the money, I guess.

"Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away"--Dave Mustaine

Where the hell did that guy go?

Oh yeah, like "justice is lost, justice is raped, justice is done." vs. next album : "I'm free to speak my mind anywhere."--Metallica

double standards go with the money, I guess.

Ummmmmmmm

Archived