Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread (National Signing Day)

ixcuincle

Your not worried about academics but the ACC figure heads all are. If Florida State was questionable to get in, then no way is WV gonna be allowed in. Not saying its the smartest plan to get a national championship team, but at least theyre maintaining their integrity. I dont necessarily agree with that. I would have been all for letting WV in, but im not gonna sit here and act like they were the ACC's last hope to get a national championship, because lets face it they have never won one, and they're 14-17 in bowl games. FSU, VT, and even Clemson the last few years have been inching closer. Virginia took a decent step last year and may be able to build on it and become a decent team. Miami believe it or not still brings in recruits despite all their troubles. They could be contenders in the next 5-10 years if they keep that up. Even with WV in the mix I would still put my money on FSU or VT representing the ACC this year. If West Virginia would have joined the ACC I dont think they would have become "saviors"

To be clear on this, the ACC is governed by an idiot and run entirely through the UVA/UNC/Duke triangle, which is 100% where the "we care about academics" issue stems from. I know you don't agree with that mindset, but when talking about how the ACC perceives schools for expansion, I think it's important to understand exactly where the "academics" part of the discussion is based out of.

It would have been smart to bring WVU in, regardless of their academics. It's not WVU's fault that they're the go-to state school for a small and absurdly poor state population. The bottom line is, they have a decent football brand and the ACC would have been wise to bring a progressive AD like Oliver Luck into the fold.

The ACC's reluctance to seriously look at a school like WVU is why I'd love for FSU to jump ship as soon as possible. It's too bad the whole "FSU and Clemson to the Big 12" thing didn't pan out this year (thanks to Texas insisting on holding out to save a seat for Notre Dame), but hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

I'd also say that UVA received a lot of lucky breaks last season and is in line for a let-down or "rebuilding" year this year. Miami will need every piece of good fortune possible to get to just 5 or 6 wins this year, and once they get hit with scholarship sanctions for a few years, their full transformation into becoming Boston College will be complete.

They finished top 20 only 5 times in the last 20 years. Far from an "annual top 20 football program". Not to say that the ACC is a power house, they certainly could have used them athletically, but academically they still fall too far short. I agree with the above. They fit well in the big 12 competitively, if not geographically.

and 4 times in the last 10, with 2 or 3 seasons just outside at 22 /23 or so. so yeah, either of us can bend stats. lets also say wvu finished in the top ten 3 times since 2005 and finished 11 in the coaches poll last year.

lets be honest, there are 2 programs in the acc right now with any claim to being superior to wvu's program.

and i'm fine with being short academically because our mission isn't to impress those who rank schools without stepping foot on a campus. our mission is to provide poor kids a chance for a college education. if our rep takes a ding from the academic elite (snobs) so be it.

AP Top 25:

1) USC (25)

2) Alabama 17)

3) LSU (16)

4) Oklahoma (1)

5) Oregon

6) Georgia

7) Florida State

8) Michigan (1)

9) South Carolina

10) Arkansas

11) West Virginia

12) Wisconsin

13) Michigan State

14) Clemson

15) Texas

16) Virginia Tech

17) Nebraska

18) Ohio State

19) Oklahoma State

20) TCU

21) Stanford

22) Kansas State

23) Florida

24) Boise State

25) Louisville

Others receiving votes: Notre Dame (83), Washington (55), Auburn (53), North Carolina (32), Utah (30), Georgia Tech (25), BYU (22), Tennessee (15), South Florida (11), Baylor (9), Texas A&M (5), UCF (4), Cincinnati (3), Missouri (3), NC State (3), Houston (1), Louisiana Tech (1), Mississippi State (1), Northern Illinois (1)

FSU should not be in the top ten and what the hell is up with Michigan receiving a first place vote.

Yeah I'm actually surprised they have a 1st place vote. Bet it was a 'Bama media member who did that in order to hype the game up even more Sept. 1. But I'll take it :ols:

edit: It was an Illini beat writer who voted Michigan with that 1st place vote . Now he's jinxing them.

4 star defensive end De'Asian Richardson commits to WVU over Alabama, Arkansas and others:

http://247sports.com/Player/DeAsian-Richardson-18338

Huge get for Holgy (especially since he already committed and decommitted from Free Shoes U.

But his profile picture makes it hard to believe he's 6'3" 280lbs.

4_466770.jpg

Now..when does the Texas talent start showing up? :evilg:

Today's the day that 5 star RB Taquan Mizzell is suppose to announce his pick.

Allegedly its between UVA and WVU.

I expect him to choose UVA since he didn't visit Morgantown.

Too bad..since he will never know the joy of playing in a BCS bowl.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Taquan-Mizzell-126199

Its been no secret he is heading to UVA for weeks now. Him and London are extremely close

Its been no secret he is heading to UVA for weeks now. Him and London are extremely close

Oh I know. I still hold out hope for a Noel Devine switch.

Everyone and their mother said he was going to Free Shoes U (because of the relationship with Deion) and then he chose WVU instead.

Mizzell would absolutely kill at WVU.

I wonder if (and I'm glad now that he is a gone) Chris Beatty would have gotten him to WVU. He had a lot of in's in the Tidewater area.

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 07:19 AM ----------

I'll bet my ES membership he heads to UVA :)

No doubt he will be a Hoo.

Actually, I'm surprised that Tech wasn't in the final 2. He seems like the type of back that fits the Beamer mold. Plus that's a VPI recruiting area.

I wonder if (and I'm glad now that he is a gone) Chris Beatty would have gotten him to WVU. He had a lot of in's in the Tidewater area.

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 07:19 AM ----------

No doubt he will be a Hoo.

Actually, I'm surprised that Tech wasn't in the final 2. He seems like the type of back that fits the Beamer mold. Plus that's a VPI recruiting area.

You win some and lose some in recruiting. We just pulled Wyatt Teller from out underneath UVA, he'd been a UVA strong lean for months.

Luckily we win on the field vs UVA which is what matters. And will continue to do so for the foreseeable future

Archived